1.    #1  
    Check out the latest addition to the Sharp Zaurus family - the SL-A300. No word on whether this will hit US shores, but Sharp is definitely considering making it available here.

Sharp is feeling the heat from Sony in the Japanese market and according to Akira Mitarai, head of Sharp's communication systems business, "It's important that we [Sharp] put out a lot of new models."

Isn't competition fun

Note: I'm only posting this because I know many of the folks here like to keep up with developments from all over the PDA world. No need to debate the pros/cons of the Zaurus vs. anything else
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>
    It's interesting, but missing one vital thing, IMO: CF.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby
    Precisely.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Seems like the lower priced PDA's are only using the SD slot.

Maybe adding a CF slot would boost the cost.

Then again, I haven't researched the advantages of the SD slot over the CF slot (besides CF used in digital cameras).
  5.    #5  
    On a device that's over a quarter of an inch shorter and narrower than the Edge (and only 1/16" thicker), a CF slot is a pretty tall order. I could maybe see an SD/MMC slot, but CF Type II (you need Type II if you want 802.11, ethernet, or modems) is just too big for small form factor devices (which is why I'm perfectly content with larger form-factors).

However, I'm told that the SL-A300 will have a CF "sleeve" available as an accessory.
    Originally posted by BudPritchard
    Seems like the lower priced PDA's are only using the SD slot.
    I don't think that's it.
    Maybe adding a CF slot would boost the cost.
    More importantly is that it'll boost the _size_.
    Then again, I haven't researched the advantages of the SD slot over the CF slot (besides CF used in digital cameras).
    The primary advantage is size in the PDA world. CF has a lot more expansion possibilities available, but it just takes up more room.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by dkessler
    On a device that's over a quarter of an inch shorter and narrower than the Edge (and only 1/16" thicker), a CF slot is a pretty tall order.
    Yeah, I understand why they didn't put it in, but after _having_ an Edge, I'd gladly give up a bit in the way of size (but not durability) to have expansion.
    I could maybe see an SD/MMC slot,
    It has that according to the specs.
    but CF Type II (you need Type II if you want 802.11, ethernet, or modems)
    huh? No you don't.
    is just too big for small form factor devices (which is why I'm perfectly content with larger form-factors).
    I haven't seen one in person yet, but it looks like Toshiba has gotten pretty crafty with squeezing a _lot_ into a relatively small space with the e740.
    However, I'm told that the SL-A300 will have a CF "sleeve" available as an accessory.
    No thanks. Sleeves are for iPaqs.
  8.    #8  
    but CF Type II (you need Type II if you want 802.11, ethernet, or modems)
    huh? No you don't.
    Well, my Xircom CF modem is Type II, my Symbol 802.11b CF card is Type II (as are the Linksys and I think DLink cards), and most of the ethernet CF cards (at least the cheap ones) I've seen are Type II. Manufacturers who only include Type I CF slots these days are going to catch a lot of bad press for excluding the most popular peripherals.

I haven't seen one in person yet, but it looks like Toshiba has gotten pretty crafty with squeezing a _lot_ into a relatively small space with the e740.
    The e740 does look like an impressive hardware package. I have an Audiovox Maestro (Toshiba e570 with less RAM) for development and aside from the terrible battery life, it's one of the best PPC hardware packages I've seen.
    Originally posted by dkessler
    Well, my Xircom CF modem is Type II, my Symbol 802.11b CF card is Type II (as are the Linksys and I think DLink cards), and most of the ethernet CF cards (at least the cheap ones) I've seen are Type II.
    The fact remains that there are Type I alternatives.
    Manufacturers who only include Type I CF slots these days are going to catch a lot of bad press for excluding the most popular peripherals.
    I didn't notice much bad press about the Jornadas. What are the most popular peripherals?
    The e740 does look like an impressive hardware package. I have an Audiovox Maestro (Toshiba e570 with less RAM) for development and aside from the terrible battery life, it's one of the best PPC hardware packages I've seen.
    The user replaceable battery (along with an upcoming 3000mAh replacement) definitely have made it worthy of further investigation, IMO. Too bad that MS isn't likely to optimize PocketPC for XScale.