Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I was one of those people who waited for a few hours on launch day last year to get the Pre. I liked the look of the WebOS before getting to the store, but when I saw the shape and size of the phone, I was ecstatic. Perfect size. Then I actually played with the phone and was sold. The WebOS is by far the most intuitive phone operating system I've ever used. It just works.

Here's the problem. As a "Sprint Premier Customer" I can get a new phone this summer. Palm's ongoing problems are giving me pause. Will Palm be around next year? I would like to stick with this operating system but there are a few glitches that irritate me. The data doesn't work right all of the time and must be reset, the GPS signal locking is slow and usually doesn't even work, the calendar is ok, but not great.

So I am thinking about the Android platform. I like the small form factor of the Pre, but it would be nice not to have to slide open the keypad. On the other hand, the Pre looks great and fits in the pocket perfectly. My experience with Android has been limited to demos at Verizon and Sprint - so limited in time. It doesn't seem nearly as intuitive or easy to use as WebOS.

What are your thoughts? Who has used both WebOS and Android 2.1 significantly and what are your experiences?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Oh yes, and one of my favorite things about the Pre is the touchstone. I am not a fan of the screen staying on while it is charging, but I really like being able to just set the phone on the charger rather than having to plug it in.

I am seriously considering the HTC EVO this summer, but it looks huge. Thoughts?
    Oh no you don't, turn around and come back to the light. lol
  4. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Hey you should get a Pixi, you don't have to slide out the kb that way. Honestly, if they released the both of them at the same time I probably would've gone for the Pixi.
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyonku View Post
    Oh yes, and one of my favorite things about the Pre is the touchstone. I am not a fan of the screen staying on while it is charging, but I really like being able to just set the phone on the charger rather than having to plug it in.

I am seriously considering the HTC EVO this summer, but it looks huge. Thoughts?
    The EVO sounds like it's going to have some very nice hardware. I can't leave webOS though, I love it too much

(by the way, I finally changed my avatar. I figured 10 months was long enough )
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    LOL i noticed in the other post, i like it. looks good lol very true
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post

Like the new avatar Just wish you put it in white text
    try sense ui(2.1 is even better), it's nice once customized.

V will have the incredible soon, nice lookin phone, check reviews.
    The problem I'm seeing is that Android is getting stronger and Pre is going the way of the Instinct.

I really love my launch day Pre! My wife has a Pixi and my son a Pre. We all have TS now and love them too. I love the size of the Pre it's just perfect for caring in your pocket and isn't bulky at all.

But what do you take and what do you give up? Tons of apps, big screen, pocket size, awesome OS interface.

What is Palm going to do? Will we see WebOS taken to the next level or will Palm drop it, or even go under and sell out to someone else? Where's the next WebOS phone? There are a bunch of Android now, and Iphone is about to go to other carriers.

I have a new Pre that was ordered because the power button isn't working like it used to 10 months ago, and the screen now blacks out and I have to pull the battery to reboot it. But for some reason I really like my Pre more then the Androids I've played with. There's just something special about our Pres and WebOS in spite of everything that Android can do.

I guess I've picked the dark horse again. Story of my life.

I just hope we don't get left out in the dark.
    From what you are saying, i think HTC Hero would be a good fit for you. Although the EVO is gonna be a big hit this summer, atleast for sprint customers. I will definitely be getting the HTC Evo. I have done plenty of research on android and HTC Sense, and I must say it seems amazing, in some senses even better than the webos experience. Check out this video, which gives u an overview of the new HTC Sense. Although its on the HTC Desire, the specs are close the the Evo, and will run just about the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    Hey you should get a Pixi, you don't have to slide out the kb that way. Honestly, if they released the both of them at the same time I probably would've gone for the Pixi.
    if he doesn't like the pre anymore what makes you think he would want a pixi? A phones that's worse than the pre.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I'd go with the "watch some videos" on youtube. That will give you a decent idea if android is for you. If palm goes under and webOS fades away. I'm almost certain android is what I'll go with, but only if webOS stops getting developed. Iphone on sprint I'll take a look at it if it happens, still I'd proly go android. WebOS is for me hands down,hardware and apps aside, can't be beat in my opinion. Just needs 6 months to a year more to reach a more mature level and next gen hardware to take webOS to it's max.

Good luck figuring out what to get in this madness that is smartphones.
    I think you should play with some phones in store - Android is a great Operating System. If you had to leave WebOS, that would be the best way to go. You need to decide what flavour of Android you want though - shiny, functional Sense UI with an old firmware, or bland ugly old Android with the latest firmware. (I'm so glad we don't have that problem with WebOS).
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Android is a good operating system overall. Apps are plentiful. I switched to a Hero a few months back and I am pleased. Rooting and hacking the device is a bit more complex, but with the Evo having tethering built in there isn't a huge need for it. There is some fragmentation of the OS, but it is getting better as the Hero, Moment, Eris and a few others are all scheduled to be running 2.1 by May. Multitasking is not as smooth as the cards concept in WebOS. There are lots of choices of hardware, some with hard keyboards, some without.

It is sad to see Palm in this situation. WebOS is georgeous. I think if we saw the variety of devices and carriers that Android has seen over the last few months we would have better penetration, but with slow sales developers don't have much choice but to go where the numbers are.

Good luck whichever you decide!
    My son has the Hero - great phone, and a good size. I'm hoping that the HTc Legend comes out this summer (rumor has it that it'll be rebranded the Hero2).
    My gf just got a moment and it's a great phone, sure it has it's issues, but the UI even though it's not 2.1 yet is still fresh and feels alot more up to date than webos and with the great app market android has with it's very iseful apps and homescreens it's hard not to get addicted to that ... Now when 2.1 comes out with live wallpaper, 3d photo gallery, etc.. It's gonna be hard not to enjoy it even more

with all the hype of 2.1 and the evo where is palm through all of this? I know they have been great to us throughout the year, but I still feel as if we are on a dated phone compared to the others at this point, it's hard not to like the specs of the evo and am seriously thinking about it

wow bdark the htc legend video is awsome!! Widgets will be taking over, I ant wait for that ..no more need for going into applications
    Last edited by Impulsebuyer; 04/20/2010 at 07:51 AM.
    I haven't heard about this 3D photo gallery - can you to link it?
    on my pre right now, can't find it, but try youtube on the Evo and Andoid and 2.1

it's like album art but for photos
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    No don't leave Palm!
    Another great review is this one here, they show of some other cool new features of Sense on the Incredible

One weird thing though, this video shows off one glitch they still need to fix...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast