Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, the new iPhone was leaked today, and it does look really nice. While some think this was diliberate to start the hype machince, I believe there are some possible advantages for Palm if they can again capitalize on this.

Could suffer some disinterest like the original pre launch:
    As we saw with the pre's anouncement and launch last year, when there is too much time between anouncement and release people could lose interest. While this won't happen to the same extent as the pre, there is the possibility of some lost sales.

Possible delay?:
    This leak has just pretty much taken all the wind out of ANY iphone announcement by apple unless this is a fake and the new one is different. While I don't know Steve Jobs personally, he doesn't seem like someone who will go out there showing everyone what they have already seen. He also seems like the type of person that is capable of just scrapping everything and starting over, and while it may be unlikely, it wouldn't surprise me if he's already working overtime with his staff to redesign the phone which could lead to a posible delay of launch.

Palm could one-up the design:
    If palm's next gen hardware is ready and has a better design, they can now release it and wow people who have now already seen the new iphone and had time to digest the design of it.

You combine this leak with the underwhelming response to iPhone OS 4.0 and that we all now know what the next iphone will be months in advance, I see an opportunity here for Palm to release something soon that could hopefully at the very least increase the value of webos and the company, or at the very best get them stabalized enough to continue foward.
    To simply put it, if Palm hasn't already designed and developed something by now, don't expect to see anything before the next iPhone hits.
    IMO.. wouldn't matter. The only way to steal hype really is to release the phone on AT&T (but they aren't because they're releasing the Pre+.. there'd be no point on releasing the Pre+ then)

I'm in Canada but it seems as though not many people at all like Sprint and from my understanding, the numbers are showing.

The only way for Palm to take hype would be to release whatever device is the next one (if there actually is) and release it on all networks right away.

I know customers on Sprint are mad because of the Pre+ and you feel an exclusive agreement would do wonders, but honestly, it won't.
  4. JSX
    No benefit for Palm. The Apple Fan boi hype machine will go into overdrive no matter what the phone looks like or what it does. Apple Multitasking will be hailed as the savior of the smartphone market even though Palm has had multi for a year. There will be long lines outside of every apple store, including some sucker that gets in line on Tuesday for a Saturday release so that he can be first in line.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSX View Post
    No benefit for Palm. The Apple ****** hype machine will go into overdrive no matter what the phone looks like or what it does. Apple Multitasking will be hailed as the savior of the smartphone market even though Palm has had multi for a year. There will be long lines outside of every apple store, including some sucker that gets in line on Tuesday for a Saturday release so that he can be first in line.
    so sad... but so true
    Voice messages on the 4G iPhone recently found in a bar:

Woot : Steve Wants His Phone Back: The Voicemails
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Apple may have planted the phone in the bar. With all of these Android phones coming out with great specs, maybe Apple "accidentally" dropped the phone in the bar to keep people from jumping to Android. It wouldn't be a great number, but, technofiles might hold out for the new iPhone because they believe it will be just more than a nice upgrade.

Palm? If they have a new phone, which I hope they do, they need to get the news out soon. And it needs to have specs that can compete with the new Android phones and new iPhone.

Yes, Palm kept WebOS secret before CES, but they let the specs of the Pre out 6 months prior to launch. This kept a fair amount of folks from buying an iPhone or marginal Android phone (at the time). 6 months is too much, but they need to give some advance notice, so that they don't lose future sales. I'm buying a new phone this summer (to replace my 755p). If I buy an Android or iPhone, I won't be getting a Palm for at least a year or two. They don't have a year (or two).
    I don't get it. Palm wasn't able to compete with Android and iPhone the first time around. How would things be any different if they were somehow able to come out for round 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I don't get it. Palm wasn't able to compete with Android and iPhone the first time around. How would things be any different if they were somehow able to come out for round 2?
    Because Palm really screwed up the Pre's marketing... As Apple has shown, marketing is a very large part of success.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Apps Baby, apps!

But now we 2,400 or so and growing. I'm certainly happy with all the things I can do with WebOS now. Only thing left in my mind is Office document editing and voice control.

Otherwise you'd have to pry this awsome multitasking Pre from my cold dead hands
    Palm has to announce something, like yesterday... even if it's nothing more than a concept. No news is bad news for Palm at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Palm has to announce something, like yesterday... even if it's nothing more than a concept. No news is bad news for Palm at the moment.
    But early news is even worse. They need to release marketing, news, and a close release date all at the same time. Periodic marketing doesn't work on electronics, and people easily grow tired of a product long since announced.

To get the largest jump Palm shouldn't just willy-nilly say, oh yeah we too are working on another phone, it probably won't be out for 3-6 months, but just try to keep us in mind when your renewal comes up.

The biggest achievement would be to release news and marketing all at the same time, as close to release as possible, so they will get the most bang for their buck.
    I'll repeat my prediction from another thread here (feel free to come back and make fun of me if I'm wrong): Palm will release (yes, not just announce) their next-gen device next month.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Apps Baby, apps!
    You're being serious? Both Android and iPhone's app stores dwarf Palm's.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'll repeat my prediction from another thread here (feel free to come back and make fun of me if I'm wrong): Palm will release (yes, not just announce) their next-gen device next month.
    but would it make sense to do that when AT&T, O2 and Vodafone, SFR are all getting the Pre+?
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    But early news is even worse. They need to release marketing, news, and a close release date all at the same time. Periodic marketing doesn't work on electronics, and people easily grow tired of a product long since announced.

To get the largest jump Palm shouldn't just willy-nilly say, oh yeah we too are working on another phone, it probably won't be out for 3-6 months, but just try to keep us in mind when your renewal comes up.

The biggest achievement would be to release news and marketing all at the same time, as close to release as possible, so they will get the most bang for their buck.
    I disagree. There seems to be a cycle in the smartphone industry, all happening in the summer timeframe. If people get wrapped up in new contracts come this summer with devices like the new iPhone, Evo and Incredible, where does that leave Palm? Do you expect them just to announce/release something out of the blue AFTER these new devices have been released and expect people to flock to it?

No.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    but would it make sense to do that when AT&T, O2 and Vodafone, SFR are all getting the Pre+?
    Yep. Palm has stated in the past that they intend to have a 3-tier platform. So, the Pixi+ would be the low-end (free with a contract), the Pre+ would be in the middle ($49 with a contract), and the Pre 2/Pro/Prime/whatever would be the high end ($149 or $199 with a contract). Would go to Sprint for a very short exlusive (60 days) and then on to the other carriers.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    You're probably right ......... in the form of Pre+ making it's way to Sprint. If that's the case, god help Palm. Lol
    You're probably right ......... in the form of Pre+ making it's way to Sprint. If that's the case, god help Palm. Lol
    Nope: my precarious prognostication is primarily around the real next-gen device...
    Nope: my precarious prognostication is primarily around the real next-gen device...
    I doubt that. If that was the case, Engadget or someone else would have been all over it months ago. Nothing has slipped 'through the cracks' in the past ... well, since beginning of these tech blogs.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast