Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I doubt that. If that was the case, Engadget or someone else would have been all over it months ago. Nothing has slipped 'through the cracks' in the past ... well, since beginning of these tech blogs.
    Palm was able to keep webOS and the Pre a secret prior to CES 2009. They can do it again.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Palm was able to keep webOS and the Pre a secret prior to CES 2009. They can do it again.
    CES2010 has come and gone, what are we to wait for now, CES2011?
    Things have changed. The blogs have better sources now. And Palm was pretty much off of everyone's radar between the Palm Pre launch and the WebOS announcement. And they weren't able to keep the Pre Plus a secret...
    CES2010 has come and gone, what are we to wait for now, CES2011?
    Eh?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Things have changed. The blogs have better sources now. And Palm was pretty much off of everyone's radar between the Palm Pre launch and the WebOS announcement. And they weren't able to keep the Pre Plus a secret...
    We'll see...
    Eh?
    Well your last post implied that Palm was able to keep things tight-lipped until CES2009. Well, that has come and gone this year so when/where will they make their 'next' announcement?
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    But early news is even worse. They need to release marketing, news, and a close release date all at the same time. Periodic marketing doesn't work on electronics, and people easily grow tired of a product long since announced.

To get the largest jump Palm shouldn't just willy-nilly say, oh yeah we too are working on another phone, it probably won't be out for 3-6 months, but just try to keep us in mind when your renewal comes up.

The biggest achievement would be to release news and marketing all at the same time, as close to release as possible, so they will get the most bang for their buck.
    It seems to work for Adobe.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    not really, the longer it takes adobe to bring out flash, the more support is building up html5.
    Well your last post implied that Palm was able to keep things tight-lipped until CES2009. Well, that has come and gone this year so when/where will they make their 'next' announcement?
    Well, I didn't actually imply anything. I stated it. But, semantics aside, I think Palm's next announcement will come as a simple press conference.
    But early news is even worse. They need to release marketing, news, and a close release date all at the same time. Periodic marketing doesn't work on electronics, and people easily grow tired of a product long since announced.

To get the largest jump Palm shouldn't just willy-nilly say, oh yeah we too are working on another phone, it probably won't be out for 3-6 months, but just try to keep us in mind when your renewal comes up.

The biggest achievement would be to release news and marketing all at the same time, as close to release as possible, so they will get the most bang for their buck.
    Agreed. And all of that will come when the release the next gen device next month.
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post

Apple announcing new products months ahead of time has really hurt them hasn't it? In certain situations/circumstances I would agree to possibly hold off on announcing something, but given Palm's current situation, anything is better than nothing at this given point in time.
    listening to adobe talk about mobile flash has been like listening to palm talk up the pre and webos and the app store... only to find out it's been half baked and not ready for consumption.

ipad has caused a major acceleration in html5 development with companies and sites having something html5 for iphone and ipad use while adobe brings out nothing.

they talk and talk like it's coming out tomorrow... but month after month... you know if adobe really had it ready... it would be out to stop the bleeding.

they probably talked it up saying they've had flash for iphone ready knowing apple wouldnt accept it and they probably dont have it or it's just as half baked as the rest and to put it out would prove steve jobs right.

adobe sucks

Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    not really, the longer it takes adobe to bring out flash, the more support is building up html5.
    Palm needs to worry even more about keeping the updates going with WebOS. The next device won't matter if they don't keep improving the software and fixing the bugs. I think 1.4 is quite buggy on my Pre Plus and Palm has a lot of work to do. I will say the quality of their next model better be light years ahead of the Pre Plus. If they don't get this double letter issue on the keyboard fixed then this will probably be my last Palm.
    I have to wonder if this "accidental" iPhone leak was Apple's way of calming any buzz in the Pre Plus coming to AT&T...WebOS kills the iPhone in terms of UI and multitasking, and I'm sure ol' Stevie has kept his software peeps over the coals since the Pre and it's card system was announced last year. Since AT&T has very little to offer in terms of feature packed smartphones, except the iPhone, this could be Apple's way of making sure those who may have been considering the Pre Plus hold out for a newer model iPhone, even if it will no doubt be inferior in terms of UI and multitasking compared to the Pre.
    Agreed. And all of that will come when the release the next gen device next month.
    I certainly hope you are correct.

If something isn't released in short order, the steam rolling is going to finish off what's left.

iPhone, EVO(which is a huge threat because of it being a hyped Android handset, 4g and Sprint Premier upgrades), and all of the other nameless faceless handsets that are coming.

It better be soon and it better be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by maynardblue View Post
    I have to wonder if this "accidental" iPhone leak was Apple's way of calming any buzz in the Pre Plus coming to AT&T...WebOS kills the iPhone in terms of UI and multitasking, and I'm sure ol' Stevie has kept his software peeps over the coals since the Pre and it's card system was announced last year. Since AT&T has very little to offer in terms of feature packed smartphones, except the iPhone, this could be Apple's way of making sure those who may have been considering the Pre Plus hold out for a newer model iPhone, even if it will no doubt be inferior in terms of UI and multitasking compared to the Pre.
    Right now, Palm isn't even a speck on the radar. Sure, the Pre and WebOS is everything you are saying it is. The Apple marketing and hype machine however so dwarfs what Palm is doing that I doubt any Palm release on AT&T is any cause for concern.

Quite honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Pre never launches on AT&T, especially if Palm has a new device up their sleeve. (Which I certainly hope they do.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    Right now, Palm isn't even a speck on the radar. Sure, the Pre and WebOS is everything you are saying it is. The Apple marketing and hype machine however so dwarfs what Palm is doing that I doubt any Palm release on AT&T is any cause for concern.

Quite honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Pre never launches on AT&T, especially if Palm has a new device up their sleeve. (Which I certainly hope they do.)
    Considering FCC filings were just made for the new GSM Pre and AT&T has been training employees for it, I doubt that.
    Considering FCC filings were just made for the new GSM Pre and AT&T has been training employees for it, I doubt that.
    Even so, it isn't going to mean a hill of beans.

Let's just say what alot of us here are thinking. The Pre sucks. The hardware sucks. It's terrible compared to what's coming up, hell it's terrible compared to what's out there now.

I love the OS, it's great. It really is. However, as referenced by lackluster sales, it's just not enough. It's not going to cut it.

They need something that's new, shiny, and flies. Then, they need to market it. That's what its going to take. I'm just afraid they are running out of time.

Here's my prediction. If Palm releases a Pre+ and or Pixi + on AT&T, its going to get the same cold reaction it has everywhere else.

The carrier isn't the problem, it never has been. There's something wrong in Sunnyvale, that's the core problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You're being serious? Both Android and iPhone's app stores dwarf Palm's.
    I am being serious, there's more to it then just pure numbers. You get diminishing returns after a while. I think WebOS now has a sizable amount apps that shouldn't be a factor anymore. The number of apps one company has in their app store is getting over-hyped these days.

Obviously this has not hurt Android when it first came out and it has one tenth the number of iPhone apps right now. The sales of Android phones are sneaking up on Apple and could over take them in the near future. So that's a pure example of number of apps not being a factor.

Marketing
    Availability
    Price
    Quality of hardware
    Quality of OS

Are the other factors involved. It's clear Palm's lack of sales isn't attributed just to a small app store. As Rubinstein has stated many times, the main things they could have done better is in the timing and marketing.
    Palm right now needs less secrets, they can't afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by maynardblue View Post
    Steve Jobs worried about WebOS? Get real. SJ and Apple could care less about Palms implementation of multitasking. iPhone fans have been wanting multitasking for at least two years. Apple does what it wants when it wants. I mean, how hard is copy and paste?

Right now, Palm isn't even a speck on the radar. Sure, the Pre and WebOS is everything you are saying it is. The Apple marketing and hype machine however so dwarfs what Palm is doing that I doubt any Palm release on AT&T is any cause for concern. /snip
    Sad but true.

Even so, it isn't going to mean a hill of beans.

Let's just say what alot of us here are thinking. The Pre sucks. The hardware sucks. It's terrible compared to what's coming up, hell it's terrible compared to what's out there now.

I love the OS, it's great. It really is. However, as referenced by lackluster sales, it's just not enough. It's not going to cut it.

They need something that's new, shiny, and flies. Then, they need to market it. That's what its going to take. I'm just afraid they are running out of time.

Here's my prediction. If Palm releases a Pre+ and or Pixi + on AT&T, its going to get the same cold reaction it has everywhere else.

The carrier isn't the problem, it never has been. There's something wrong in Sunnyvale, that's the core problem.
    Unfortunately, that has been the case since 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I am being serious, there's more to it then just pure numbers. You get diminishing returns after a while. I think WebOS now has a sizable amount apps that shouldn't be a factor anymore. The number of apps one company has in their app store is getting over-hyped these days.

Obviously this has not hurt Android when it first came out and it has one tenth the number of iPhone apps right now. The sales of Android phones are sneaking up on Apple and could over take them in the near future. So that's a pure example of number of apps not being a factor.

Marketing
    Availability
    Price
    Quality of hardware
    Quality of OS

Are the other factors involved. It's clear Palm's lack of sales isn't attributed just to a small app store. As Rubinstein has stated many times, the main things they could have done better is in the timing and marketing.
    News flash: Hype sells, and if that means hype in regard to the number of apps, public perception is a couple of thousands apps compared to tens of thousand, which do you think will look more attractive? Small app store means less choice. Study the Apple iPhone commercials. They seem to work.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12