Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    My question of late has been, "what is it about say an apple app that makes it only for use on apple?" Why can't the file for the app be converted to work on a webos device or vice versa? I really don't know where to begin, but does anybody have a scientific explanation so I can be lazy and not have to do research. lol
    good question but as of late I have been hooked on the Android market and with some very cool and useful apps I wish the pre could handle ... Now I know why everyone around here wants barcode scanner, just plain awsome, and from what I know it's bc the pre does not have auto focus which maybe part of that issue, also I think of shazam which many people have and isn't that because the pre doesn't do microphone audio?
    It's because iphone, android, and webOS use different operating systems. It's kinda like the same way that Windows apps won't work on a Mac, or vice versa.

However, with Palm's PDK it seems very easy to port iphone apps to WebOS. It can be done in a couple days. Only the developer of the app can do it though since you need ful access to the source code.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Games are more likely to be ported from iPhone to webOS PDK because games are more likely to have been written in C which is the mother language (if you will) of Objective C, the iPhone OS language. Apps that are specifically written for iPhone OS that have UI elements like switches, scrolling tables, and sliders would have to be rewritten. I would guess that less than 10% of iPhone apps can really be ported using the PDK.
    That's correct. Games are much easier to port to webOS. I wasn't completely awake when I posted that last comment