Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Just got my Pre to replace a Palm Pro that I've been using for 2 years. Have also had a 3Gs for the last year. I carry both phones a large part of the time.

Iphone dislikes
    Manual email sync. Is not manual. only means that it doesn't sync in the background. Automatically syncs when you enter email app. Boo

switching email accounts. I have 4 email accounts I confgiure. to get between them is major UI failure. dislike having to back out to email home to choose a different app. especially when you're in a folder

checking calendar to reply to an email. Really. Home, calendar, wait to load, home, email.

Apples dracionian rules. I've had 4 apps lose functionaility on updates due to changes in Apples acceptance rules

OS Crash. Yes, I've had the OS crash, 2 times on trips. Phone is useless until I get back to a computer with itunes to restore. (pro, and PalmOS have never had OS crash. App failure. Wipe the phone, and restore from last backup, on the fly)

Bluetooth. I keep bluetooth off to conserve battery. Turning it on and off was major hastle until I JB'd.

Battery life. No way I can go through a full day on stock battery. Centro, Pro, Iphone, Pre. Centro and Pro both used Seidio extended batteries and worked well. Iphone just sucks.

Big red end call button. How many frickin times do I hit that during calls. I always wear a headset. But I use the mute function a lot. (can't compare to Pre yet)

Itunes. What a uesless piece of software. Always locking up.

Iphone likes
    App Catalog. obvious duh. Everyone programs for the #1 phone. (windows anyone) And there is some really good stuff in there

uhm....need to think.

Pre
    I am somewhat disappointed that the app catalog is still but I already have more on it then I did with 2 years of the WM Pro. WM sucked. I understand the turmoil with Android and WebOS so I'll just bide my time. HTML5 should really help here also

Battery life. nothing new. Connected phones suck batteries. No way around that.

So yeah, I'll use the iphone for gaming. But to actually work. not an iphone. Heck, I'd even go back to my Centro first.
    Quote Originally Posted by allonon View Post
    Manual email sync. Is not manual. only means that it doesn't sync in the background. Automatically syncs when you enter email app. Boo
    You can set mail retrieval behavior (manual, fetching, and push) in the settings.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You can set mail retrieval behavior (manual, fetching, and push) in the settings.
    Gee, why didn't I think of that. Oh wait I did. It is set to manual. It still syncs email when you enter the app. It ignores any individual account setting within the app.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Let's do some quick math here, shall we? The iPhone has 200,000 apps now, let's say 80% of those were crap apps (going with a holistically high estimation here), that still leaves you with 40,000 applications, that's 16x more than what WebOS has TOTAL in almost a year.

Where are apps like Remember The Milk, Dropbox, 1Password, Paypal, Skype, RedLaser, USAA Mobile Banking, Instapaper.

They don't exist. Why? I like to think you're somewhat intelligent enough to figure that one out on your own.
    The recent app count for the mobile platforms were something like this:

IPhone/Touch: 200,000
    Android: 38,000
    IPad Specific: 7000
    WebOS: 3800

You know what those numbers mean? Nothing. Nobody wants 200,000 or even 3800 apps on their phone. They want about a hundred solid apps that will make them able to feel that the platform they carry around is all they need. And right now then WebOS is falling short so HP needs to decide how serious it is with phones and start throwing money at devs because the longer they wait the faster people will dismiss WebOS as a second class mobile OS.

BTW. As for battery life. My problem isn't that the Pre bleeds power, I'm more confused as to why it takes so long to top itself off when charging. Im constantly jumping from plug to plug at home/work but in the car it's ridiculous because it can be plugged in and still use more power than it recharges. Many trips I'll start with 90% and arrive 2hrs later at 72% (With GPS on Ive even run it dry despite it charging the whole trip). Mines still a launch Pre so maybe it's defective but Ive read it happening to many others also so Im not sure if it's a design flaw.
    Last edited by Urkel; 05/21/2010 at 01:22 PM.
    I know! that drove us crazy! We'd go on a long car ride with the Pre plugged in and we'd end up with less of a charge at the end! i have never had that happen with any phone.

Hey brmiller, I remembered some more things that iphone does that webOS doesnt......

*When I hit a key stroke it responds immediately. No lag.
    *When I open an app, it opens immediately. No lag.
    *I can delete 1, 10 or all emails in a folder. I forgot about this til people started posting on it today. That drove us insane - one of my SOs email addresses is web only so he gets a lot of spam to it, and I had to delete, one by one, 30-50 a day. what a pain. I actually just stopped using that account on that phone.
    I've had that happen with iphone too. Granted, its jailbroken and i'm streaming pandora or similar, running Navigon at same time, maybe even mywi on occasion. Could just be the tomtom mount not supplying a whole lot of power.

Battery life. nothing new. Connected phones suck batteries. No way around that.
    Actually there is, its called a Blackberry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    The recent app count for the mobile platforms were something like this:

IPhone/Touch: 200,000
    Android: 38,000
    IPad Specific: 7000
    WebOS: 3800
    What was the count for Blackberry? The number that jumps out in that list is the iPad. It's not a smartphone (it's a much more niche product than that), its only been available for just over a month and it already has close to twice as many apps as WebOS. HP will find a WebOS tablet a tough sell unless they can get more developers to write for the platform (bit of a catch 22).
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I love my Palm Pre Plus - but I am a retired geekster - even when I was running my businesses this would have been fine for me, although I probably would have went with the iPhone for GTD and business related, (and particularly voice-related) Apps had they been available back then. I do envy a buddy's ability to do voice recording/transcription while driving - but all of the "heavy work" associated with that can be moved to a server so it really isn't all that big a deal.

If I worked in construction/HVAC/etc., I would currently be using a Blackberry Tour for both the press-to-talk and the amazing battery life. In MY situation, a couple of TouchStones, (one in my truck), absolutely resolved all battery related issues I might have had.

The point I am trying to make is that the phone that is right for the individual is primarily driven by his/her "situation" and perceived needs. All of them have specifics wherein they excel over other products.

For MY situation, the Palm Pre Plus is pretty darn close to *exactly* what I want at present and I was able to get it on the cheap thanks to a Verizon sale. Looking forward to Verizon eventually putting out a fix for the aGPS problem, and loads of developer activity in the coming months now that Palm is finally going to give them access to the mic.

Have I mentioned how cool it is for an old geek to get down to his phone's command-line level and mess around using *nix commands? Not for everybody, but that sure scratches one of my oldest "itches".

Edited: A great example of "scratching an itch" is the zcorder thread - another app which, coupled with a patch mentioned in the thread (and both available via Preware), permits me to record voice in MP3 format while driving and eMail it anywhere later on. - More cool voice-related apps will come soon.
    Last edited by oldgeekster; 05/21/2010 at 06:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    That's only true if all the apps you use only utilize RIMs notification service. if you use any apps that are direct connect (Office communicator, SSH clients, RDP clients). it will go through batteries pretty quickly as well.

Blackberry rule email. No question. But Apps were really expensive; and then the whole issue of getting new unlock codes when you switched phones was a pain. I stopped carrying one before the Bold came out because I needed simultaneous V and D. Got tired of waiting.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    The number that jumps out in that list is the iPad. It's not a smartphone (it's a much more niche product than that), its only been available for just over a month and it already has close to twice as many apps as WebOS. HP will find a WebOS tablet a tough sell unless they can get more developers to write for the platform (bit of a catch 22).
    While it would be nice to see developers have interest in WebOS naturally, it just won't happen fast enoug. HP just needs to scour the top iPhone apps and pay those devs big money to write a WebOS version. Not only for ensuring WebOS phones become competetive, but to give WebOS Tablet a catalog when they decide to jump in.

I agree. The iPad number is shocking considering the age and niche audience of the device. And as an iPad user I admit that with 200,000 iPhone apps the iPad is indeed "a big iPod Touch" but with the few dozen iPad apps I've used then an app written specifically to a 10" touchscreen is amazing. HP definitely needs to get on this train and make a WebOS Tablet.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I can tether my iPad with my Pre - you cannot do that with an iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by pebacher View Post
    I can tether my iPad with my Pre - you cannot do that with an iPhone
    Sure you can, just not an AT&T iPhone.
    The number that jumps out in that list is the iPad. It's not a smartphone (it's a much more niche product than that), its only been available for just over a month and it already has close to twice as many apps as WebOS.
    Most of them are just retooled ports of iPhone apps, however.

It would be similar if webOS had been a retooling of Palm OS, with a few tweaks required to make Palm OS apps run "bigger" and in higher resolution.

Apple tweaked the iPod touch to create the iPad, whereas webOS is a brand new platform... so Apple has some legacy advantages (like quick scale-up to "new" apps and backward compatibility). They also suffer some problems (like limited multitasking and other iPhone-legacy issues).
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post

It would be similar if webOS had been a retooling of Palm OS, with a few tweaks required to make Palm OS apps run "bigger" and in higher resolution.

Apple tweaked the iPod touch to create the iPad, whereas webOS is a brand new platform... so Apple has some legacy advantages (like quick scale-up to "new" apps and backward compatibility). They also suffer some problems (like limited multitasking and other iPhone-legacy issues).
    do you speak from experience? how many different apps did you try out on your iPad?

LOL. Wow, dude... you SERIOUSLY have no idea in ANY of your posts. There are maybe a couple hundred that have been "re-tooled (as you put it)", but ask any developer it's not a simple switch you flip in the SDK to magically turn your app into a native iPad app.

I'd say 75% of the apps you can find are iPad specific apps, with the other 25% being both iPhone/iPad. No matter how you slice it though, you still have > 7,000 native iPad applications.
    That's only true if all the apps you use only utilize RIMs notification service. if you use any apps that are direct connect (Office communicator, SSH clients, RDP clients). it will go through batteries pretty quickly as well.

Blackberry rule email. No question. But Apps were really expensive; and then the whole issue of getting new unlock codes when you switched phones was a pain. I stopped carrying one before the Bold came out because I needed simultaneous V and D. Got tired of waiting.
    You are right about SSH but I don't keep an SSH client running in the background. Simultaneous V & D is supported on 3G GSM berries.

The common technology platform with iPhone is certainly going to give the iPad a huge advantage over any WebOS based tablet. Android tablets will have the advantage here.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts

Wow. Is there anything you ARENT an expert on? Oh yeah, products you actually have experience with.
    the iphone can advertise (hype) better than the Pre... And... Ummm... Well... Hmmm... That's about it I guess...
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast