Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    But Palm isn't asking me to spend $200 to sync my phone. Cloud sync is at the centre of WebOS. And I love the touchstone. I NEVER plug my phone into my computer anymore. I sync everything to the cloud. It's so weird to be so lazy that I don't want to actually lift up a wire and plug it into my phone, but it's true. When I'm ready to leave, I just grab the phone and run.

And I was just at a meeting with a number of execs who had their iPhones out, and we were planning where and when to meet next and looking at notes and I was just swiping away between notes, web pages, and my calendar, and google maps like buttah. (and at the same time I was downloading a podcast to listen to in the car after the meeting, shhh, don't tell ) And I was actually a bit frustrated by the fact that they had to close an app, open another, close it, open another.

I can't tell you how much I love being able to effortlessly sweep between apps. And I really love being able to minimize all the cards I have open in front of me and in a snap switch to another program. I know sometime this summer the iPhone will be able to "multi-task", but the cards thing really works for me. Swipe up, and app closed. Love it.

And I really need a true keyboard. I write a lot on my phone and the software keyboard... it just doesn't cut it. But that's a personal thing. I use the software Pre keyboard for jotting down things if I'm too lazy to open the phone (there's a theme to this post and I'm too lazy to figure out what it is) but I'm just a hardware keyboard person.

The Pre has maximized my workflow, and for me, that's what a smartphone needs to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    The pre is a better phone out of the box with no apps to enhance it.
    The build quality of the pre does not match the iphone. The build is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    iphone has a much better music player.
    No, it doesn't. That is just all you are used to. You need to go outside the App to adjust the equalizer. The iphone music player is simplistic, it does not mean its better.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    iphone has more apps (better and powerful ones, thx apis)
    iphone is much faster
    iphone has a simpler ui
    iphone doesn't lag and stutter
    iphone has better build quality
    iphone has glass screen
    iphone has many more accessory options.
    iphone has the best virtual keyboard

pre multi-tasks
    pre has touchstone
    pre is palm friendly
    pre has hardware keyboard
    biggest advantage hands down is their apps store.. and jailbreak ability, you get really nice 3d games for free. palm pre's app catalog is small and loaded with useless apps (iphone has a lot of useless apps also but far more good apps)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaichan918 View Post
    biggest advantage hands down is their apps store.. and jailbreak ability, you get really nice 3d games for free. palm pre's app catalog is small and loaded with useless apps (iphone has a lot of useless apps also but far more good apps)
    Well, yes, but remember it is still early days for both WebOS and Android. Android has more apps but the market is really fragmented. If you bought a G1, you are SOL.

And Palm has PDK apps coming this summer, and by the end of the year apps will have access to the camera and mic.

The whole 'iphone has more apps thing' is true, but there is more to the Pre than just the apps.

I was just talking with someone who just lost their BB and they were looking at a new phone, and she knew about the iPhone, but she wasn't interested. I told her about the apps, and she just cared about a phone that would help her get her work done. I showed her the Pre and she was impressed. She really needed a physical keyboard. She liked the cards. And she really liked the synergy.

Better apps are coming, but, and I know this is hard for you to understand, it's more important for Palm to lay the groundwork for a really robust web based OS. Apps will come, in time.
    I just hope webos gets a new phone soon.. Tried the incredible and hate it.. Damnit I'm spoiled now palm!

just cause iphone is many ways better doesn't equal perferred.
    I like a Pre more than an iPhone for my features. I can't deny though the user expreience is simply better on the iPhone because its smooth and fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    The Pre isnt better than the Iphone. The Pre can mulit-task and handle notifications much better than the iphone....how many things does the iphone do better than the pre?
    The only thing the iPhone has better than the Palm Pre is the app store, which is all 3rd party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    The only thing the iPhone has better than the Palm Pre is the app store, which is all 3rd party.
    Hardware to software integration is much better as well.

That simply can't be denied. The Pre some days feels like being kinda fast...and other days I wish my Curve was still activated.

If the Pre could be as consistant as the iPhone and current Android phones....i'd stay with WebOS forever.
    People seem to forget that "quality" is more important than "quantity" when it comes to apps.

For example, Apple's iPhone offers more Brighthouse "crapps" than Palm has total apps in the app catalog. If Brighthouse apps were the only iPhone apps, Apple could still say it has "more." But that wouldn't mean Palm wouldn't be a better choice, since the Pre app catalog has lots of apps that (unlike Brighthouse) don't suck.

A great deal of the apps on the iPhone are, let's face it, junk. Other apps are merely ridiculously redundant. Stuff like boob jiggle, celebrity news alerts, thousands of Twitter clients, etc.

There's very little that a Pre cannot do, out of the box, with the apps available today that an iPhone can do. There's lots that a Pre can do, out of the box, that an iPhone will never do.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    There's very little that a Pre cannot do, out of the box, with the apps available today that an iPhone can do. There's lots that a Pre can do, out of the box, that an iPhone will never do.
    Not true in the least.
    Out of the box? Obviously the iphone can't multitask 3rd party apps. Do integrated chat, multiple exchange accounts, or the synergy the Pre has.

But the list of what the Pre can't do out of the box compared with an iphone would be kinda lengthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Out of the box? Obviously the iphone can't multitask 3rd party apps. Do integrated chat, multiple exchange accounts, or the synergy the Pre has.

But the list of what the Pre can't do out of the box compared with an iphone would be kinda lengthy.
    It's a completely silly qualifier, even if it did work in the Pre's favor (which it doesn't).

NO smartphone exists in any kind of "out of the box" vacuum these days. Each platform is only as good as its ecosystem, and that means you must figure developer support, updates, apps, and everything else into the equation when evaluating the device because all of those things will affect your daily usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Other than sync to proprietary Apple iTunes software, I'm at a loss as to what those things might be.
    Other than sync to proprietary Apple iTunes software, I'm at a loss as to what those things might be.
    1. Last more than a day on one charge.
    2. Restart in less than a minute.
    3. While iPhone doesn't multitask, i can go from one app to another about three times as fast as going from one app to another on our Pre. I.e. I can open/close apps and go between them, faster than i can multitask on the Pre.
    4. Take five photos in a row with only a brief reset period; I could usually not even take more than one photo in row on the Pre, but if i could, it took 15-20 seconds to be ready again.
    5. Watch a youTube video within 15 seconds of loading (though I admit the Pre had a better rendition; still took over a couple minutes to load on the Pre).
    6. In two years, nothing - and I mean nothing - is compromised on the iPhone, hardware wise. solid as its first day.
    7. Apps, apps and more apps.

there's a few.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    1. Last more than a day on one charge.
    I've never seen an iPhone last more than a day on a charge. 3GSes regularly lose charge faster than my 1350 milliamp-battery Pre. And unlike my Pre, iPhone users don't have the option to buy a larger battery.

2. Restart in less than a minute.
    Not really THAT important (since my phone might restart once a month), but OK.

3. While iPhone doesn't multitask, i can go from one app to another about three times as fast as going from one app to another on our Pre. I.e. I can open/close apps and go between them, faster than i can multitask on the Pre.
    Sounds like you don't know how to use gestures or cards.

4. Take five photos in a row with only a brief reset period; I could usually not even take more than one photo in row on the Pre, but if i could, it took 15-20 seconds to be ready again.
    Never had that problem. In fact, my Pre can capture photos so quickly that I've been able to use it for stop-motion photography with my dog chasing objects.

5. Watch a youTube video within 15 seconds of loading (though I admit the Pre had a better rendition; still took over a couple minutes to load on the Pre).
    Never had this problem either. YouTube videos load up and play instantly on the Pre, streaming the remaining half if it's a large video being pulled down from 3G.

6. In two years, nothing - and I mean nothing - is compromised on the iPhone, hardware wise. solid as its first day.
    Unless you want a real keyboard, or suffer from poor battery life and need to replace your battery, or roll over on it and shatter the screen. Half the iPhones in NYC have broken screens, from a quick street poll.

7. Apps, apps and more apps.
    Meh, if that REALLY mattered to Apple people, they'd have switched to Windows in 1994. Most of the Apple apps are junk or redundant. There's also a poor choice of culturally relevant apps that push boundaries in politics or the arts (they get censored).

No such limitations exist on Pre. I can't get a guide to Gay New York at any price on an iPhone, for instance. There are a few thousand Twitter clients, though. Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Why did she have to "scroll through her contacts" to enter your info? You just press "contacts" and then "+". Doesn't sound like a whole lot harder than what you described.

But I guess since in the background, you were "multi tasking" it seems better to you?

(which begs the question, if she just got a new iPhone, I wonder how many contacts she had anyhow)
    This is actually one area where the Pre/WebOS is 1000% better - A new Pre user would already have their contacts in their phone, easily, due to Synergy syncing their contacts from Google, Linked In, Facebook, etc. Right away. And the contacts would match up so you would have their info from multiple sources (picture from Facebook, work email from linked in, cell from google, etc.).
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    So, bmiller, all the things I mentioned to you are not of importance to you; that's cool. But you asked, and I answered.

Quick question: since we were discussing "out of the box," is your Pre stock?

Or over-clocked and/or patched?
    I've never seen an iPhone last more than a day on a charge. 3GSes regularly lose charge faster than my 1350 milliamp-battery Pre. And unlike my Pre, iPhone users don't have the option to buy a larger battery.
    I charge my iPhone 3GS every other day. Cant come close to doing that on my Pre Plus

Unless you want a real keyboard, or suffer from poor battery life and need to replace your battery, or roll over on it and shatter the screen. Half the iPhones in NYC have broken screens, from a quick street poll.
    Pre battery life is far worse, the Pre keyboard is awful, my iPhone screen is not shattered and I live in NY. Guess I wasnt included in your "quick street poll"

Most of the Apple apps are junk or redundant. There's also a poor choice of culturally relevant apps that push boundaries in politics or the arts (they get censored).

No such limitations exist on Pre. I can't get a guide to Gay New York at any price on an iPhone, for instance. There are a few thousand Twitter clients, though. Wow.
    Maybe there are a lot of "junk" apps in the app store, but none have been loaded on my iPhone. I have apps to sync to my todo program, connect to my company database system, monitor my internal exchange servers, remote desktop into a few work machines, track my fantasy baseball team, read ebooks, read comic books, listen to met games (sigh), connect to my corporate IM system, sync to my basecamp project management system, rent movies through itunes, watch my home TV through slingbox.

Maybe there are some comparable apps available for the Pre, but there is not one that is better on the Pre. Have fun with your Gay New York guide though.
    People seem to forget that "quality" is more important than "quantity" when it comes to apps.

For example, Apple's iPhone offers more Brighthouse "crapps" than Palm has total apps in the app catalog. If Brighthouse apps were the only iPhone apps, Apple could still say it has "more." But that wouldn't mean Palm wouldn't be a better choice, since the Pre app catalog has lots of apps that (unlike Brighthouse) don't suck.

A great deal of the apps on the iPhone are, let's face it, junk. Other apps are merely ridiculously redundant. Stuff like boob jiggle, celebrity news alerts, thousands of Twitter clients, etc.

LOL. Wow, no matter the thread ... when there's a debate that involves Apple you can be guaranteed to find brmiller1976 reaching.

Let's do some quick math here, shall we? The iPhone has 200,000 apps now, let's say 80% of those were crap apps (going with a holistically high estimation here), that still leaves you with 40,000 applications, that's 16x more than what WebOS has TOTAL in almost a year.

Where are apps like Remember The Milk, Dropbox, 1Password, Paypal, Skype, RedLaser, USAA Mobile Banking, Instapaper.

They don't exist. Why? I like to think you're somewhat intelligent enough to figure that one out on your own.

To really put things into perspective, compare the applications that are available on both platforms and you'll quickly notice the difference in quality. Which ones you ask? Evernote, DirecTV, Gowalla, Facebook, etc. I actually struggled with that because there are hardly any cross-platform apps.

And as for the Pre's battery. I actually tried going back and using it (as opposed to my Droid) yesterday, and the battery KILLED me in comparison to anything else. That's with a completely stock Pre and no background services enabled. It consumes battery faster than an Ethiopian with ramen.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    LOL. Wow, no matter the thread ... when there's a debate that involves Apple you can be guaranteed to find brmiller1976 reaching.
    Reaching involves exaggeration and hyperbole but is at least linkable to reality. Brmiller1976's posts depend on irrational thought so they're impossible to link back to reality.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast