Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Refer to iTunes upgrades. They do all sorts of nasty things through iTunes. Come to think of it, that's why we can't use iTunes with the Pre+ any more...

...Apple knows better than I do what I should be able to do, or how I want to do it.
    I don't even know how to respond to your last two posts. I have pages of apps on my iPhone that aren't simply "just repackaging a web page to make it easier to use, or redirecting to the mobile version of the site." They're full-featured applications that I can't get on my Pre. I'd tell you what they are, but I'm pretty sure you'll just dismiss them as unimportant novelties.

Apple does not push firmware updates. iTunes does not automatically download new updates. It simply notifies you that there is a new version of iPhone OS available and gives you the following options:

Download
    Download and Install
    Ignore the update.

I would imagine that anyone who is aware of jailbreaking would also be clever enough to not install a new firmware update.
    I didn't say automatic updates. However, they will eventually force them to be accepted. That's why you can't use iTunes 5 with the iTunes store.

I didn't say they didn't have cool apps. I said none of them were critical enough for me to put up with AT&T. I'm sure there are many corporate apps and other stuff that is critical to others (maybe even you) but not for me.

That's why the "150,000" apps argument doesn't fly with me. My Saab only has 5 gears. Jerry Seinfeld's Porsche has more. That's cool, but not cool enough for me to trade up to a Porsche.

More isn't always better, sometimes it is just more.
    My list why my Sprint Pre is superior over Iphone...

My #1 reason!!! I am not a conformist, I like owning a phone that no one else has. I have been using apple since the Apple II back in 1990. I loved apple when everyone trash talked them, funny how everyone loves apple now. Conformist. FYI using an apple I have not had a virus in 17 years.

Sprint Network is faster that ATT. I tested this many times using mobile speed test against my iphone buddies. My ATT friends drop calls on me often.

MyTether is awesome and I use it all the time and it is not slow. I can usually pull around 1,300Kb

Muli tasking with 800mhz Kernal is simple. If I want to be a ***** to my iphone buddies I will open 15 apps, hop on my wireless MyTether network and then surf and text someone while downloading a movie from Youtube with Jason’s patch. “thanks Jason for that patch”

Smaller is better when it comes to a phone. It fits in my hand nicely because of the nice shape.

Battery replacement. I run the 1350 mah and if it dies (11 hours) I can put in my stock one. This also really angers my iphone buddies.

TOUCHSTONE! the coolest thing. iphone people really want this haha.

Flash on camera. Flash light

Simply everything plan is a good deal for $100. I have been on it since it was launched.

I can change my themes. Funny thing I do run the iphoneBlackLauncher with no application names. Apple did make the iphone have a nice theme I will say.

I do not like how pre only has 8gb. This is deft the weakest point of the pre.
    I didn't say automatic updates. However, they will eventually force them to be accepted. That's why you can't use iTunes 5 with the iTunes store.
    Just like the world will end eventually. In the meantime, I'll keep on living and people with iPhones running older firmwares will keep syncing them with the latest version of iTunes.
    as long as they don't want to buy anytthing from the itunes store or take advantage of any new features or OS4. Why are you defending iphones in here? This forum is about webOS community and helping one another to get more from our webOS devices.

we don't need you telling us about iPhone advantages. We don't visit iPhone forums to ccomplain about poor 3G coverage, dropped calls, and a closed architecture.
    as long as they don't want to buy anytthing from the itunes store or take advantage of any new features or OS4.
    You've officially stopped making sense. Of course they can't upgrade to iPhone OS 4.0 if they choose to stay with an earlier version.

Why are you defending iphones in here? This forum is about webOS community and helping one another to get more from our webOS devices.

we don't need you telling us about iPhone advantages. We don't visit iPhone forums to ccomplain about poor 3G coverage, dropped calls, and a closed architecture.
    Because I use both and I'm baffled by how wrong you are about all things iPhone. I'd react the same way if you were so mindbogglingly incorrect about WebOS as well.
    Then why are you visiting the cross-platform forum?
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I don't even know what that means. Apple doesn't push updates.
    He means that when apple makes their new os they know about things like jailbreaking and they design the update to purposefully screw your phone up if you're using these homebrewed solutions rather than wait for apple to get it right. With the same token, when Sprint found out about the 800 patch they put out a memo saying basically that installing the patch will void your warranty. This is an area that all os users get screwed on. The companies are set on getting your money and they don't want you installing homebrews. Sucks for the user.

FYI, here are the voice messages found on the 4G iPhone that Gizmodo saw:
    Woot : Steve Wants His Phone Back: The Voicemails
    I like when he says "i'll install flash on your iphone, but only yours o.k.? Don't tell anybody."
    At the same time, Palm has refused to give out the mic/sound api for devs and it has hurt us. Also I know that the Pre is capable of having tv/video out and they don't give us that either.

I'd tell you what they are, but I'm pretty sure you'll just dismiss them as unimportant novelties.
    I am interested in hearing them. I will only give my opinion and whether or not Pre is capable of similar apps.

people with iPhones running older firmwares will keep syncing them with the latest version of iTunes.
    Do you have an ampache app where you can stream music through a server for iphone?

Why are you defending iphones in here? This forum is about webOS community and helping one another to get more from our webOS devices.

Without iphone fans here than all forums would be one-sided and boring. I need to hear why iphone fans really believe their phone is better than webos so I can debate whether or not they are wrong or justified.

If somebody could post a list of apps they believe iphone has that webos doesn't so we can compare/contrast.

Yeah bump is cool, and I would use it so...
    Bump is also available for android, Bump Technologies, Inc. only a matter of time before it comes to webos, but definitely something I can live without for now. You still can't bump cross-platform so that sucks.

BTW, I don't want to be an iphone basher, I want all platforms to join together so that everybody can enjoy the best that all platforms have to offer. Unfortunately, i believe shareholders will never go for this. Therefore we must debate on which platform will win.
    Last edited by double1; 04/19/2010 at 09:51 PM.
    The pre is a better phone out of the box with no apps to enhance it.
    Quote Originally Posted by theguilfoyle View Post
    My list why my Sprint Pre is superior over Iphone...

My #1 reason!!! I am not a conformist, I like owning a phone that no one else has. I have been using apple since the Apple II back in 1990. I loved apple when everyone trash talked them, funny how everyone loves apple now. Conformist. FYI using an apple I have not had a virus in 17 years.

Sprint Network is faster that ATT. I tested this many times using mobile speed test against my iphone buddies. My ATT friends drop calls on me often.

Flash on camera. Flash light

Simply everything plan is a good deal for $100. I have been on it since it was launched.
    So when iphone hits sprint in June with led flash and sprints cheap good service it may be a hard call

Then again.. who wants iphone with HTC android phones around, heh

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by double1 View Post

If somebody could post a list of apps they believe iphone has that webos doesn't so we can compare/contrast.

Yeah bump is cool, and I would use it so...
    Here are the apps I use weekly, at least:

Bump
    I heart radio
    Woot
    Sundance 2010 (I live in Utah; this is one of my few paid apps)
    Dragon Dictation
    Shop Savvy
    Yelp
    Lose It!
    IMDB
    SFGate
    Huff Post

Dragon, I use daily (I use that for most text messaging)
    iphone has a much better music player.
    Do you have an ampache app where you can stream music through a server for iphone?
    Yep. I use Simplify Media to stream my music library to my iPhone. I use Air Video to do the same with my TV and movie libraries.

Here are some of the apps I use the most often on my iPhone:

Dropbox
    Pastebot
    Justin.tv
    DocsToGo
    Air Sharing
    Reeder
    Instapaper

To be fair, some of these apps do have their equivalents on the Pre...kind of. The problem is none of them are as polished or functional as what's available on the iPhone. For example, I've tried NewsRoom on my Pre but the UI and featureset feel almost a generation behind Reeder.

Oops, I forgot to mention the CNN app. I know that sounds like just a cheesy front end for their web site but the one cool thing it does is notify you when breaking news happens. You can then open the app to watch live video coverage of whatever's going on.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

But which one do you use more?

To be honest I find myself using the iPhone more. simply because the quality of the apps are better. for example the iPhone facebook app is still the best out of all platforms.
    I use google maps a lot and as everybody knows google maps on the Pre is lacking.
    Media playback is no contest IPhone is the clearly better here.
    I can stay logged into several instant messenger accounts 27/7 with beejive IM with no significant battery drain. One of the advantages of push notifications.
    I have several apps the use push notifications and it really is a great thing Palm needs to get that mojo messaging up and running soon.

Now my iPhone 2G is unlocked (on t-mobile I refuse to go to at&t) and jailbroken. I have backgrounder installed and I use circuitous as a app switcher. Its similar to what apple will be doing in OS 4 and its good but not as good as the multitasking on the Pre of course.
    He means that when apple makes their new os they know about things like jailbreaking and they design the update to purposefully screw your phone up if you're using these homebrewed solutions rather than wait for apple to get it right. With the same token, when Sprint found out about the 800 patch they put out a memo saying basically that installing the patch will void your warranty. This is an area that all os users get screwed on. The companies are set on getting your money and they don't want you installing homebrews. Sucks for the user.
    A lot of this we brought upon ourselves.

People load a bunch of crap on their phone and then call customer support when they have issues. One of the first things customer support would suggest for the user's issue, was to do a hard reset - get the junk off - clean slate.
    And they'd be back up and running.

With old palms and WM, people would load custom roms and expect palm to cover it when their phone crashes or ends up a brick.

This goes way back.

Their solution is to allow only 'approved' apps, updates, and patches.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by melo View Post
    I have backgrounder installed and I use circuitous as a app switcher. Its similar to what apple will be doing in OS 4 and its good but not as good as the multitasking on the Pre of course.
    That's what I was wondering.
    Are they really going to be multitasking with OS4?
    Multiple apps running in the background, or just saving 'states' of where you left off on a task before you switched to another?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    That's what I was wondering.
    Are they really going to be multitasking with OS4?
    Multiple apps running in the background, or just saving 'states' of where you left off on a task before you switched to another?
    Most apps already save state now, they are introducing actual multitasking in OS4.
    I'd just say that webOS is a much better designed OS on just about every aspect.

Card metaphor for multi-tasking is brilliant, and works nice on the Pre. Pre Plus demonstrates how well it scales by just adding RAM to the phone. No radical OS changes or redesigns; it just worked by natural scaling.

Notifications: webOS is simply much better designed here. The iPhone is full of modal dialogs everywhere. I just can't believe that someone at Apple thought "hey, modal's the way to do everything!" That's just bad design.

webOS, as a platform, can live independently from a PC. Sure, with a PC you can download WOSQI and do nice things with it, but really, if the user isn't a fan of homebrewing there's no reason to live tethered to a PC. Heck, the phone can even update itself without resorting to the PC to store the update data. Not even the iPad can do that, so I consider that a serious shortcoming of the iPhone OS. How does Apple seriously consider its OS to be useful and robust when it can't even update itself without being tethered to a PC (and yes, the term PC applies to both Windows and Macs).

Now, yes, the iPhone wins in the app battle, but sometimes you just have to accept the good with the bad. And for webOS, that bad is much lower app count. Of course, with its much better designed OS, webOS apps can do things that iPhone apps can't even dream off what with the dashboard and the simple power of its multitasking chops. About the only true problem with webOS devices right now is that the hardware is not fully capable of running webOS at high speed. Of course, that can be fixed by more optimizations and by the inevitable release of better hardware, which is natural and expected in the technology world.

iPhone OS4 is about to be released, how many of the bad OS design flaws will be fixed? Because as I see it, without hitting 2.0 yet, webOS has shown to be simply much more powerful and scalable than the iPhone OS. Save for the lack of a proper microphone API, I'd say webOS is leaps beyond what even iPhone OS4 will offer, which is just a clever illusion to try to do multitasking. If it really is all that revolutionary, how is it that Apple makes the mistake of keeping version 4 of the OS from hitting its iPad until Fall? I'd say if they were truly confident of it and its features, the iPad would have launched sporting the new OS rather than be stuck in its weird limbo state of being their cutting edge product limited by the previous OS technology for months.

I've also seen some tech bloggers interestingly shoot down webOS as saying "do we really need as much multi-tasking power as it offers?"

Guess what, that's the same short-sightedness as what happened when somebody thought that we'd never need more than 640k RAM.
    Okay, so I just learned that the only way you can cloud sync email, contacts and calenders on the iPhone is through Mobile Me. And you have to pay for it.

What the ^%$#&*^%.

Okay. I don't care if they've got a 100 million apps. I don't care if the freaking thing is made out of freaking gold. There's no way I'm paying them for something that the Pre can do for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Okay, so I just learned that the only way you can cloud sync email, contacts and calenders on the iPhone is through Mobile Me. And you have to pay for it.

What the ^%$#&*^%.

Okay. I don't care if they've got a 100 million apps. I don't care if the freaking thing is made out of freaking gold. There's no way I'm paying them for something that the Pre can do for free.
    You can do it for free with Google services.

http://www.google.com/support/mobile...40&topic=14252
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast