Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 141
  1. #41  
    4th gen iphone...

    http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

    What's new

    • Front-facing video chat camera
    • Improved regular back-camera (the lens is quite noticeably larger than the iPhone 3GS)
    • Camera flash
    • Micro-SIM instead of standard SIM (like the iPad)
    • Improved display. It's unclear if it's the 960x460 display thrown around before—it certainly looks like it, with the "Connect to iTunes" screen displaying much higher resolution than on a 3GS.
    • What looks to be a secondary mic for noise cancellation, at the top, next to the headphone jack
    • Split buttons for volume
    • Power, mute, and volume buttons are all metallic
    What's changed

    • The back is entirely flat, made of either glass (more likely) or ceramic or shiny plastic in order for the cell signal to poke through. Tapping on the back makes a more hollow and higher pitched sound compared to tapping on the glass on the front/screen, but that could just be the orientation of components inside making for a different sound
    • An aluminum border going completely around the outside
    • Slightly smaller screen than the 3GS (but seemingly higher resolution)
    • Everything is more squared off
    • 3 grams heavier
    • 16% Larger battery
    • Internals components are shrunken, miniaturized and reduced to make room for the larger battery
  2. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #42  
    Well, since I'm home with a cold today, I'll reply to this long post in Blue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I dont mean for this to be as rude as it sounds, but your reasoning is exactly why VickMackey didn't want to bother debating the topic with you.



    iphone has more apps because they have 3 years vs 1 year for the Pre
    It's not the length of time that gave Apple better apps. It's developer interest in the platform. If we're going to play the "timeline game" then in the same amount of time post-SDK then iPhone apps eclipsed WebOS apps in number, and more importantly, in quality.
    Agreed, and yet iphone can't have apps that webos can do like Baseball Live or Weather Dashboard

    How is iphone faster when they both use the same processor? BTW are you talking stock or overclocked Pre?
    Speed has more to do with an optimized OS rather than raw power. And that's evident in the always changing WebOS speed results we get at every update. Some updates make it faster, some drag apps to a crawl.
    So simpler ui means it's for dummies?

    Simpler UI means it's simpler. I don't love the iPhone UI at all, but finding a setting isn't as convoluted on the iPhone as it is on WebOS.
    Do you have an example of the convoluted webos setting? Take wifi settings, on the iphone it's buried in the settings app but on webos, there's a separate app for wifi. That's much less convoluted and easy to find.


    I have not once uttered the words lag or stutter while using my Pre
    Lag and Stutter is an issue that even the most diehard fans admit to. This is the biggest concern with the possibility of Palm being sold. IF we no longer get software updates then the current state of the phone is unfinished in terms of optimization.
    True and why I can't wait for second gen webos devices.


    It probably does have better build quality but again 3 years vs 1 year
    Again. BIG excuse here. iPhone's 1st gen phone is as rock solid as this one. Palm cheaped out on us and we're paying for it.
    I'm one of few who don't mind the plastic. It's lighter. Glass and aluminum are cheap raw material too. But most people seem to want that which is fine.


    I don't get the glass screen part?
    Me neither. But I will say that all this talk of "Palm is so cute and hand friendly" is BS. IF the Pre had a bigger screen or utilized the surface space better we'd all be just as happy. Even the discopants crowd who claim the iPhone doesn't fit into their hiphuggers.
    Iphone size is as big as I want a phone. So people really want a big ***** phone? We'll have to see the sales of the HD2 and EVO to see.


    Has many more accessories which says nothing about their os.
    But it does speak as to why a competing product is preferred. iOS4 gives them bluetooth keyboard support which is awesome.

    Pre has yet to accept a factory virtual keyboard. (why i don't know) but i prefer to use hard keys anyways and i do have the virtual keyboard patch.
    Personal preference here, but I thought I wanted a hardware keyboard but in the end I make a ton less mistakes with the virtual kb+auto-correct.

    You forgot
    Pre has removable battery
    Removeable but lower powered and S-L-O-W charging. Plus the 3min reboot time is a pain.
    Battery charges very fast and has been noted many times on this board.
    Pre costs less
    Sorry, but now you're getting desperate

    Pre has a gestures area
    Seriously? As "cool" as it is, it's a waste of screen real estate. The display should've stretched all the way down.
    No way. Look at iphone 4.0 and it's poor multitasking. You can switch apps with one swipe in webos. Also, the gesture area is only a thin strip.

    Pre has the best forums
    It's only the best because it's not popular. Popularity is overrated.


    Pre is Flash friendly
    All reports say that this is going to be a nice addition but also a big headache because flash is a pain.

    And isn't multitasking the most important of all of these?
    No. It's not. Apps are the most important thing because what good is swapping between apps when all the great apps are on another platform. IF the iPhone 4 multitasking works as advertised then they're getting the best apps and a decent task switcher so that can't be ignored
    If apps are the most important thing, everyone should get an iphone. But that's not true. Berry's are better for some, or Android or webos.

    Okay. And add to the iPhone list:

    Better camera (Autofocus, picture quality, launch speed)
    Better Video (more stable recording, less lag)
    iPhone OS 4
    - Bluetooth Keyboard Support
    - Folders (We seriously need more pages and organization on WebOS)
    Autofocus and keyboard support are nice but the others points are negligible or untrue.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by double1 View Post
    And then I let his son play super KO boxing on my Pre and while he was playing I got a call. I said. "hold on" and answered my phone via my bluetooth and like that 2 seconds later I was on the phone and he was playing a video game from the same device! Anybody who's never used a Pre before would never understand this.
    While I have used a Pre, I can also say I was doing the same thing back in 2004 with my windows mobile device. It's old school. It's been done repeatedly in the past. It was commonplace years before the Pre was conceived.

    "Anybody who's only used a Pre thinks multi-tasking on a phone started in June 2009 and would never understand this."
  4. #44  
    ^Yep,

    Early 2006 for me.
    I will never move away from multitaskin again.
  5. double1's Avatar
    Posts
    323 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
       #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by allybasilic View Post
    So why are these apple fans on a palm (pre) board ? i dont get it ?
    They are spies.

    Quote Originally Posted by melo View Post
    I have a first gen iPhone and it's still running like a champ. It has zero issues with hardware. This thing is rock solid. Now my pre which is 9 months old is a joke. Feels like a plastic toy next to my iPhone.
    But which one do you use more?

    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    why try to win iphone vs pre battle in a pre forum ?
    Because I want Pre to win and then there will be no such thing as an iphone forum, except for maybe Kip Drordy.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    4th gen iphone...

    This Is Apple's Next iPhone - Iphone 4 - Gizmodo

    What's new

    • Front-facing video chat camera
    Yes, The next gen Pre should have this, I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    • Improved regular back-camera (the lens is quite noticeably larger than the iPhone 3GS)
    I think if this is the next iphone then somebody in the ergonomics department had a mental breakdown. This flat square feel is the reason phones like the moto droid didn't kill the iphone. Because they don't feel good in your hand. If iphone puts this out look for sales to drop. I personally would keep the rounded back. Improved camera, Can you give a megapixel size or is that phone fake?
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    • Camera flash
    for real? Don't bring this to the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    • Micro-SIM instead of standard SIM (like the iPad)
    I don't see a reason why I would care about my sim card. I just leave mine in the back where it belongs. Now if that was a micro sd slot, then we'd be talking.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    • Improved display. It's unclear if it's the 960x460 display thrown around before—it certainly looks like it, with the "Connect to iTunes" screen displaying much higher resolution than on a 3GS.
    Seeing that the iphone4g is trying to compete with evo4g, they BETTER improve their display, because if they don't they'll be screwed.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    • What looks to be a secondary mic for noise cancellation, at the top, next to the headphone jack
    don't know why I would need this, but o.k.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    • Split buttons for volume
    wow, revolutionary
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    • Power, mute, and volume buttons are all metallic
    Yawn, are you done yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    What's changed

    • The back is entirely flat, made of either glass (more likely) or ceramic or shiny plastic in order for the cell signal to poke through. Tapping on the back makes a more hollow and higher pitched sound compared to tapping on the glass on the front/screen, but that could just be the orientation of components inside making for a different sound
    I think this could be the iphone killer, don't change your ergonomics when that seems to be the best thing going for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    • An aluminum border going completely around the outside
    And Paris Hilton will have one with diamonds around the outside. So?
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    • Slightly smaller screen than the 3GS (but seemingly higher resolution)
    Smaller? EVO4 happy...
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    • Everything is more squared off
    see above on squaring phones, I one am not for squaring phones (see droid fail)
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    • 3 grams heavier
    • 16% Larger battery
    I think these 2 are related as probably this weight comes from the larger battery. Or maybe the shiny aluminum on the outside.. ha
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    • Internals components are shrunken, miniaturized and reduced to make room for the larger battery
    Please don't reduce my internal components to make room for a larger battery. I use the 2600 seidio and it can go 24 hours of light-medium use without a recharge.
    Next
    Last edited by double1; 04/19/2010 at 02:45 PM.
  6. #46  
    other articles have mentioned the camera is 8 megapixel and from Sony.
    we know from 0s4 that software will have 5x digital zoom.
    and the recent pics show a flash next to the camera.

    it looks very blocky but if you look at the videos you see it about as slim as the 3gs... i like it. if the reason for the shape change is for the bigger battery then so be it. I like the new back because it reminds me of the last gen ipod (with video) with the black back... that was my favorite and didnt care for the aluminum back on the last gen ipod.

    Quote Originally Posted by double1 View Post
    I think if this is the next iphone then somebody in the ergonomics department had a mental breakdown. This flat square feel is the reason phones like the moto droid didn't kill the iphone. Because they don't feel good in your hand. If iphone puts this out look for sales to drop. I personally would keep the rounded back. Improved camera, Can you give a megapixel size or is that phone fake?
  7. #47  
    Yes double1, I am new to precentral and am not yet able to quote in my replies. Thanks for the clarification.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    A friend of mine just got her first iPhone. We decided to update our contacts. She had to quit the program she was in, then scroll through contacts, I simply slid open my phone and punched her name into universal search, press edit, enter the info and then I'm done.

    Why did she have to "scroll through her contacts" to enter your info? You just press "contacts" and then "+". Doesn't sound like a whole lot harder than what you described.

    But I guess since in the background, you were "multi tasking" it seems better to you?

    (which begs the question, if she just got a new iPhone, I wonder how many contacts she had anyhow)

    And in the future, if she has Bump and runs it to someone else with an iPhone she can just "bump" the info into their handset. I loved being able to beam info to people with my Palm Pilot back in the day; Bump is the closest thing I have found since that era ended!
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    If you can't think of any then it would be a pointless discussion to have with you.
    Nice come back (not). Did you have an iPhone app to help you think of that?

    I've personally converted 3 iPhone owners to the Palm Pre+. They are all VERY technical, and work in hi tech. It didn't take but a few minutes for them to start telling me how much better the Pre+ is than their iPhone.

    My favorite was when they opened multiple browsers and had them loading pages while they were flipping though the card view. Just that little bit blew them away. Pausing games, notifications, etc produced jaw-dropping reactions.

    Given that most apps (iPhone, Palm, Android, etc) are just optimized presentations of standard web pages, there are very few useful apps on the iPhone that I wish I could get on the Palm. There are a few, but not that many. It shouldn't be long before developers realize this and start to create "apps" that simply redirect to the mobile version, or pull specific information for an optimized experience.

    If I needed a whole bunch of fart app choices, then the iPhone might be a better choice. But, I only need one fart app and I found it in the Palm app catalog, so I'm all set.

    Oh, and if I had an iPhone, I'd have to use AT&T. That right there is the only reason I need to have a Pre+. If Verizon ever launches the iPhone, I'll probably take a look at it because of all the great 3rd party apps and after-market accessories. But for now, it's Pre+ FTW, baby.

    Still waiting for that list of things the iPhone does better.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 04/19/2010 at 05:04 PM.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    The Pre isnt better than the Iphone. The Pre can mulit-task and handle notifications much better than the iphone....how many things does the iphone do better than the pre?
    dah! he just told you..when you iphone lovers gonna get it,the palm pre does better multitasking than the iphone,,,shoot!!!!
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by melo View Post
    I have a first gen iPhone and it's still running like a champ. It has zero issues with hardware. This thing is rock solid. Now my pre which is 9 months old is a joke. Feels like a plastic toy next to my iPhone. It's frustrating that I paid so much for this Pre and it's falling apart with less than a year ownership. I will be hesitant to buy any new Palm product that's for sure.


    Also the iPhones glass touch screen is so much better than the Pre's plastic touchscreen. The accuracy and responsiveness on the iPhones screen is still the best out of all touch screen phones I've used over the years.
    I agree that the iPhone screen feels better. But, every iPhone user I know puts a screen protector in their phone, just as I did my Pre+. Once you have a screen protector on them, they are BOTH covered in PLASTIC film. They feel exactly the same.

    Not once has an iPhone friend commented on the "feel" of the Pre+ screen, because it feels exactly the same as theirs with the protective skin.

    They have lots of nice things to say about my Pre (I've converted 3 so far) and they occasionally comment on the smaller screen. But the "feel" of the screen has never come up.

    Oh, and I can put my Pre+ in my back pocket without a problem. Try sitting on an iPhone a few times. I know several that have broken theirs.

    The Pre+ feels so cool in my hand that I rarely put it in my pocket. I generally just fidget with it.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 04/19/2010 at 06:05 PM.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I agree that the iPhone screen feels better. But, every iPhone user I know puts a screen protector in their phone, just as I did my Pre+. Once you have a screen protector on them, they are BOTH covered in PLASTIC film. They feel exactly the same.

    Not once has an iPhone friend commented on the screen, because it feels exactly the same as theirs with the protective skin.

    They have lots of nice things to say about my Pre (I've converted 3 so far) and they occasionally comment on the smaller screen. But the "feel" of the screen has never come up.

    Oh, and I can put my Pre+ in my back pocket without a problem. Try sitting on an iPhone a few times. I know several that have broken theirs.

    The Pre+ feels so cool in my hand that I rarely put it in my pocket. I generally just fidget with it.
    i admit palm did wrong on their hardware,however the os is kicking *** though. Apple is so tight right now that they didn't beat palm to that elegant multitasking. If and if palm goes down,i'm going down with them.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    If I needed a whole bunch of fart app choices, then the iPhone might be a better choice. But, I only need one fart app and I found it in the Palm app catalog, so I'm all set.
    Holy ****, people are still throwing that around in April 2010!
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by ukabu View Post
    The iPhone is better at censoring app developpers.

    The iPhone is better at requiring you to install stuff on your PC so you can use it.

    The iPhone is better at locking you out of the device.

    The iPhone is better at making sure you dio just one thing at a time. And getting your complete attention when it want to tell you something.

    The iPhone is better at retrictful license agreements for software developers. And restricting developers more and more with each OS updates.

    The iPhone is better at making up new definition/meaning for word like multitasking.

    The iPhone is better at selling you it's oversized cousin with an additional dataplan.


    After rereading myself... I guess I should really ditch my Pre and get an iPhone
    And the iPhone is better at trying to defeat the jailbreakers, often sending out updates to "fix" things they didn't want "broken" by the tech community because they don't know as much as Apple knows.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    iphone has more apps (better and powerful ones, thx apis)
    iphone is much faster -WRONG! my 800mhz Pre+ is faster according to my iPhone friends.
    iphone has a simpler ui - WRONG. WebOS is simpler AND does more.
    iphone doesn't lag and stutter - Neither does my Pre+
    iphone has better build quality - WRONG - I know of many defective iPhones
    iphone has glass screen - Once you put on the screen protector, it's all plastic
    iphone has many more accessory options. OK, this is true. Not worth it if I have to use AT&T
    iphone has the best virtual keyboard WRONG - Samsung does. But, I like the physical keyboard and one-handed typing on the Pre+

    pre multi-tasks
    pre has touchstone
    pre is palm friendly
    pre has hardware keyboard
    "better" is a relative and subjective thing. In my opinion, Palm is better. They do contacts and calendar better. They let me replace my battery. My iPhone friends pick restaurants and coffee shops based on where they know they can plug in their iPhones to charge during the day. I just pop in my extended battery so they can use my hotspot to connect their laptops - since the iPhone can't do that...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 04/19/2010 at 06:04 PM.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    i admit palm did wrong on their hardware,however the os is kicking *** though. Apple is so tight right now that they didn't beat palm to that elegant multitasking. If and if palm goes down,i'm going down with them.
    I don't think they "did wrong". I love my Pre+

    I've I wanted a slab phone, that's what I'd have. I like the Pre+

    I would go for a larger screen if my eyes get any worse... but that's a function of age. The iPhone is for youngsters and hipsters.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    And the iPhone is better at trying to defeat the jailbreakers, often sending out updates to "fix" things they didn't want "broken" by the tech community because they don't know as much as Apple knows.
    I don't even know what that means. Apple doesn't push updates.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Holy ****, people are still throwing that around in April 2010!
    Yes, every time someone tells me that the iPhone has 150,000 apps. Most iPhone apps are just repackaging a web page to make it easier to use, or redirecting to the mobile version of the site.

    I have yet to sit with an iPhone friend and have them show me a killer app that I can't get. Sure, they have shown me some cool apps, but most of them are actually cool services like real-time video chat that could easily be added to the Pre+. Cool? Yes. Enough to make me put up with AT&T and a phone made by someone that wants to control what I can do with my phone? Hardly.

    Cool apps, but I haven't seen the killer app yet.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 04/19/2010 at 06:21 PM.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I don't even know what that means. Apple doesn't push updates.
    Refer to iTunes upgrades. They do all sorts of nasty things through iTunes. Come to think of it, that's why we can't use iTunes with the Pre+ any more...

    ...Apple knows better than I do what I should be able to do, or how I want to do it.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    4th gen iphone...

    This Is Apple's Next iPhone - Iphone 4 - Gizmodo

    What's new

    • Front-facing video chat camera
    • Improved regular back-camera (the lens is quite noticeably larger than the iPhone 3GS)
    • Camera flash
    • Micro-SIM instead of standard SIM (like the iPad)
    • Improved display. It's unclear if it's the 960x460 display thrown around before—it certainly looks like it, with the "Connect to iTunes" screen displaying much higher resolution than on a 3GS.
    • What looks to be a secondary mic for noise cancellation, at the top, next to the headphone jack
    • Split buttons for volume
    • Power, mute, and volume buttons are all metallic
    What's changed

    • The back is entirely flat, made of either glass (more likely) or ceramic or shiny plastic in order for the cell signal to poke through. Tapping on the back makes a more hollow and higher pitched sound compared to tapping on the glass on the front/screen, but that could just be the orientation of components inside making for a different sound
    • An aluminum border going completely around the outside
    • Slightly smaller screen than the 3GS (but seemingly higher resolution)
    • Everything is more squared off
    • 3 grams heavier
    • 16% Larger battery
    • Internals components are shrunken, miniaturized and reduced to make room for the larger battery
    FYI, here are the voice messages found on the 4G iPhone that Gizmodo saw:
    Woot : Steve Wants His Phone Back: The Voicemails
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions