Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    iphone has more apps (better and powerful ones, thx apis)
    iphone is much faster
    iphone has a simpler ui
    iphone doesn't lag and stutter
    iphone has better build quality
    iphone has glass screen
    iphone has many more accessory options.
    iphone has the best virtual keyboard

pre multi-tasks
    pre has touchstone
    pre is palm friendly
    pre has hardware keyboard
    iphone has more apps because they have 3 years vs 1 year for the Pre
    How is iphone faster when they both use the same processor? BTW are you talking stock or overclocked Pre?
    So simpler ui means it's for dummies?
    I have not once uttered the words lag or stutter while using my Pre
    It probably does have better build quality but again 3 years vs 1 year
    I don't get the glass screen part?
    Has many more accessories which says nothing about their os.
    Pre has yet to accept a factory virtual keyboard. (why i don't know) but i prefer to use hard keys anyways and i do have the virtual keyboard patch.

You forgot
    Pre has removable battery
    Pre costs less
    Pre has a gestures area
    Pre has the best forums
    Pre is Flash friendly

And isn't multitasking the most important of all of these?

one more note. Saying the iphone has better build quality and immediately after saying it has a glass screen is redundant.
    Last edited by double1; 04/19/2010 at 12:56 AM.
    pre+ with free mifi is pretty much over the top as well...
    Palm better file some more patents mannn...
    synergy anyone? i love that feature! i admit i hated it at 1st because of the cluttered contacts but once u organize and link the profiles ITS AWESOME!
    Quote Originally Posted by VenpaCasa View Post
    synergy anyone? i love that feature! i admit i hated it at 1st because of the cluttered contacts but once u organize and link the profiles ITS AWESOME!
    +1
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I dont mean for this to be as rude as it sounds, but your reasoning is exactly why VickMackey didn't want to bother debating the topic with you.

Quote Originally Posted by double1 View Post
    Responses Below:
    iphone has more apps because they have 3 years vs 1 year for the Pre
    It's not the length of time that gave Apple better apps. It's developer interest in the platform. If we're going to play the "timeline game" then in the same amount of time post-SDK then iPhone apps eclipsed WebOS apps in number, and more importantly, in quality.

How is iphone faster when they both use the same processor? BTW are you talking stock or overclocked Pre?
    Speed has more to do with an optimized OS rather than raw power. And that's evident in the always changing WebOS speed results we get at every update. Some updates make it faster, some drag apps to a crawl.
    So simpler ui means it's for dummies?

Simpler UI means it's simpler. I don't love the iPhone UI at all, but finding a setting isn't as convoluted on the iPhone as it is on WebOS.

I have not once uttered the words lag or stutter while using my Pre
    Lag and Stutter is an issue that even the most diehard fans admit to. This is the biggest concern with the possibility of Palm being sold. IF we no longer get software updates then the current state of the phone is unfinished in terms of optimization.

It probably does have better build quality but again 3 years vs 1 year
    Again. BIG excuse here. iPhone's 1st gen phone is as rock solid as this one. Palm cheaped out on us and we're paying for it.

I don't get the glass screen part?
    Me neither. But I will say that all this talk of "Palm is so cute and hand friendly" is BS. IF the Pre had a bigger screen or utilized the surface space better we'd all be just as happy. Even the discopants crowd who claim the iPhone doesn't fit into their hiphuggers.

Has many more accessories which says nothing about their os.
    But it does speak as to why a competing product is preferred. iOS4 gives them bluetooth keyboard support which is awesome.

Pre has yet to accept a factory virtual keyboard. (why i don't know) but i prefer to use hard keys anyways and i do have the virtual keyboard patch.
    Personal preference here, but I thought I wanted a hardware keyboard but in the end I make a ton less mistakes with the virtual kb+auto-correct.

You forgot
    Pre has removable battery
    Removeable but lower powered and S-L-O-W charging. Plus the 3min reboot time is a pain.

Pre costs less
    Sorry, but now you're getting desperate

Pre has a gestures area
    Seriously? As "cool" as it is, it's a waste of screen real estate. The display should've stretched all the way down.

Pre has the best forums
    It's only the best because it's not popular. Popularity is overrated.

Pre is Flash friendly
    All reports say that this is going to be a nice addition but also a big headache because flash is a pain.

And isn't multitasking the most important of all of these?
    No. It's not. Apps are the most important thing because what good is swapping between apps when all the great apps are on another platform. IF the iPhone 4 multitasking works as advertised then they're getting the best apps and a decent task switcher so that can't be ignored

Okay. And add to the iPhone list:

Better camera (Autofocus, picture quality, launch speed)
    Better Video (more stable recording, less lag)
    iPhone OS 4
    - Bluetooth Keyboard Support
    - Folders (We seriously need more pages and organization on WebOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    - Folders (We seriously need more pages and organization on WebOS)
    Ehh folders i can do with out plus don't we have patches that give you the option for more pages and label them as well? i can see why people would want folders but i think webOS is fine w/o it. unless you meant something like a file explorer which we also have....
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Urkel has alot of good points and I appreciate the time you took to read this thread.
    I always like to root for the underdog and the Pre is a BIG underdog vs the goliath iphone.
    Like the boy said "huh" like I was speaking some foreign language. Pre is not 1/100th of a known product as the iphone is yet it still receives accolades on its ability to reckon with goliath. David vs Goliath. If Palm had as much money and resources as Apple does do you still think that iphone would have a better build or more apps than Pre?
    The entire business world is unsure of Palm's future as a company but that should not take away from the fact that palm was the first to manufacture a PDA with the Palm pilot 11 years before iphone. Palm is the original and still the best in my opinion and if we hear some really good news out of this buyout debacle then everyone will say "I knew Palm was going to make it." And then we'll see Pre2 out in Q3/4 with more features then an EV4. Can't wait for that
    Your link is comparing corporations, not devices. This forum is discussing the software, hardware, app catalog, and ergonomics of the iPhone and Palm Pre.
    the WEBOS itself is better than iphones OS

being still buggy and such it still shows so much more promise. havent used andriod but i have use iphone and while i was impressed at the time when i first used and gotten used to WEBOS i instantly saw the huge potential it represents. sure theres not as much apps but quantity doesnt equal quality. WWII germany showed that.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornsj View Post
    Your link is comparing corporations, not devices. This forum is discussing the software, hardware, app catalog, and ergonomics of the iPhone and Palm Pre.
    You must be talking about barkerja, correct?

http://cl.ly/WjT
    Wow. It's really too bad the that some people can't leave alone a thread that talks about how great the Pre is. Listen, if you love the iPhone, that's great. Go get one, and then go to the iPhone forums and talk about how great it is.

And I don't want to join a pointless debate, but I will say that the iPhone hardware isn't that solid. I've seen enough buggy and broken iPhones at work to prove you wrong about that any day of the week. And the battery life isn't that great either.

But I didn't come here to bash the iPhone. It's a great phone, and I'm sure there are forums about it out there in the internet somewhere.

I came here to say

YES I too had a Pre better than iPhone moment two nights ago adding a contact. So I'm at this party. A friend of mine just got her first iPhone. We decided to update our contacts. She had to quit the program she was in, then scroll through contacts, I simply slid open my phone and punched her name into universal search, press edit, enter the info and then I'm done.

I work in an industry full of iPhones. This sort of thing happens all the time. My favourite is when someone asks me what kind of iPhone I have. Makes me laugh.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Wow. It's really too bad the that some people can't leave alone a thread that talks about how great the Pre is. Listen, if you love the iPhone, that's great. Go get one, and then go to the iPhone forums and talk about how great it is.
    I actually like that both sides debate. Let the iphone users vent their frustration at my disrobing.

And I don't want to join a pointless debate
    Are you saying my debate is pointless?

But I didn't come here to bash the iPhone.
    But I did

Pre better than iPhone moment
    They seem to be happening more often lately, no?

My favourite is when someone asks me what kind of iPhone I have. Makes me laugh.
    1 person asked me this and I believe he was being snobbish with his smelly ipad..i mean iphone.
    Let's party
    Last edited by double1; 04/19/2010 at 04:06 AM.
    the first gen iphones had a bad build quality and were not rock solid. So the timeline thing does stand.
    So why are these apple fans on a palm (pre) board ? i dont get it ?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    the first gen iphones had a bad build quality and were not rock solid. So the timeline thing does stand.
    I have a first gen iPhone and it's still running like a champ. It has zero issues with hardware. This thing is rock solid. Now my pre which is 9 months old is a joke. Feels like a plastic toy next to my iPhone. It's frustrating that I paid so much for this Pre and it's falling apart with less than a year ownership. I will be hesitant to buy any new Palm product that's for sure.

Also the iPhones glass touch screen is so much better than the Pre's plastic touchscreen. The accuracy and responsiveness on the iPhones screen is still the best out of all touch screen phones I've used over the years.
    why try to win iphone vs pre battle in a pre forum ?

sorry fail
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    there's so much misinformation and opinion being passed as facts in those long comparison posts. IcerC's post is good though.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    The Pre isnt better than the Iphone. The Pre can mulit-task and handle notifications much better than the iphone....how many things does the iphone do better than the pre?
    The iPhone is better at censoring app developpers.

The iPhone is better at requiring you to install stuff on your PC so you can use it.

The iPhone is better at locking you out of the device.

The iPhone is better at making sure you dio just one thing at a time. And getting your complete attention when it want to tell you something.

The iPhone is better at retrictful license agreements for software developers. And restricting developers more and more with each OS updates.

The iPhone is better at making up new definition/meaning for word like multitasking.

The iPhone is better at selling you it's oversized cousin with an additional dataplan.

After rereading myself... I guess I should really ditch my Pre and get an iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by double1 View Post
    Saying the iphone has better build quality and immediately after saying it has a glass screen..
    Yeah because it's tempered glass simular to that used in automobiles and professional diving masks.

Urkel answered the rest for me very well.

I am talking about a stock pre.. But even an 800mhz pre is a good bit slower than a 3gs.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast