1.    #1  
    "Running a country? There's an app for that."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/ptech/04/16/volcano.ash.norway.ipad/index.html?hpt=T2
    Imagine what will happen with a 3G version. I can see these replacing phones since more and more people tweet, facebook, and text more often nowadays. A 3G iPad and a cheap prepaid phone for emergencies. If Skype on the iPad can work with a bluetooth dongle you could also eliminate the prepaid phone.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    Imagine what will happen with a 3G version. I can see these replacing phones since more and more people tweet, facebook, and text more often nowadays. A 3G iPad and a cheap prepaid phone for emergencies. If Skype on the iPad can work with a bluetooth dongle you could also eliminate the prepaid phone.
    Not to knock the iPad too much but its simply not as portable as a phone so I don't see smart phones going away anytime soon. Certainly I can see Skype being used on it for communication but the same can be said for any device that's larger than a smart phone but smaller than a lap top.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Not to knock the iPad too much but its simply not as portable as a phone so I don't see smart phones going away anytime soon. Certainly I can see Skype being used on it for communication but the same can be said for any device that's larger than a smart phone but smaller than a lap top.
    I know its not portable but for a student who carries a book bag and a bluetooth headset, I can see this being all that's needed. I couldn't live without a smartphone, but there are people who don't talk much on phones but use data like crazy. Add to the fact frugal students not wanting to pay $100 a month for a mandatory phone contract. Most college campuses run wifi networks so 3G could be used sparingly or activated when needed.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    So, when he give order using his black berry, respond to an email using such device, he's running the country using BB.

I just to get the point of this article, it could be true for any other device. What's so special about using the iPad to read and respond to email.

Dumb!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by olidie View Post
    So, when he give order using his black berry, respond to an email using such device, he's running the country using BB.

I just to get the point of this article, it could be true for any other device. What's so special about using the iPad to read and respond to email.

Dumb!
    I just thought it would be fun to share this "story". It's amazing how much publicity the ipad is getting from everywhere. Yea it's a kinda cool device, but it's no where near as amazing as everyone thinks it is...
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Really not knocking the Ipad but I am sure that he could have done the same thing with a Netbook or Laptop. I am sure that there was a cellphone involved with this as well, doubting that he would have done something like this over IM. The title of the article makes the Ipad sound like did it all by itself.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I know its not portable but for a student who carries a book bag and a bluetooth headset, I can see this being all that's needed. I couldn't live without a smartphone, but there are people who don't talk much on phones but use data like crazy. Add to the fact frugal students not wanting to pay $100 a month for a mandatory phone contract. Most college campuses run wifi networks so 3G could be used sparingly or activated when needed.
    Actually schools and universities are exactly where I too think the iPad will succeed. As a replacement for a ton of books to carry and a communications device its perfect for Apple's core market - college age and 20 somethings. For frugal students I guess I agree, it could replace a smart phone but once the students get out of college their will need a phone line, and like most younger people now, they will likely get a cell phone only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I just thought it would be fun to share this "story". It's amazing how much publicity the ipad is getting from everywhere. Yea it's a kinda cool device, but it's no where near as amazing as everyone thinks it is...

I don't like to boost Apple's ego, but I haven't seen a device that surpasses them in terms of marketing, apps available, 3rd party hardware, easiness, large ecosystem, longevity and more. I mean the iPad touts 10hrs of battery life, plus a whole ecosystem that continues to grow each day. Name a tablet that has that and is available today. Name a device that will have the flexibility of no-contract 3g.

I wish Palm and others got their acts together but they aren't and probably won't. Even when other tablets get released, through patents and funds, Apple will always be a huge step ahead. You can either join the band wagon or watch from the sidelines.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I don't like to boost Apple's ego, but I haven't seen a device that surpasses them in terms of marketing, apps available, 3rd party hardware, easiness, large ecosystem, longevity and more. I mean the iPad touts 10hrs of battery life, plus a whole ecosystem that continues to grow each day. Name a tablet that has that and is available today. Name a device that will have the flexibility of no-contract 3g.

I wish Palm and others got their acts together but they aren't and probably won't. Even when other tablets get released, through patents and funds, Apple will always be a huge step ahead. You can either join the band wagon or watch from the sidelines.
    Well to be fair any number of net books & small laptops have more full fledged applications available as will the Slate and other tablet devices. It does remain to be seen what kind of Apps (i.e. non full fledged applications) will emerge on these other devices, assuming they even do. And as you pointed out the additional features (standard PC type features such as USB, SD Card slots, etc...) do result in suffering much lower battery life.

The iPad is a cool device for what it is, I'm just not convinced its a game changer that will ultimately replace netbooks or the 10 inch laptops. As I said before, its a perfect device for certain academic applications and I think its reasonable to expect it will serve as a decent portable gaming device and ereader. But I also think that many owners of the iPad will continue to own and use their laptops and smart phones, leaving the iPad as a very strong and probably the leading player in a very niche market.
    Well to be fair any number of net books & small laptops have more full fledged applications available as will the Slate and other tablet devices. It does remain to be seen what kind of Apps (i.e. non full fledged applications) will emerge on these other devices, assuming they even do. And as you pointed out the additional features (standard PC type features such as USB, SD Card slots, etc...) do result in suffering much lower battery life.

The iPad is a cool device for what it is, I'm just not convinced its a game changer that will ultimately replace netbooks or the 10 inch laptops. As I said before, its a perfect device for certain academic applications and I think its reasonable to expect it will serve as a decent portable gaming device and ereader. But I also think that many owners of the iPad will continue to own and use their laptops and smart phones, leaving the iPad as a very strong and probably the leading player in a very niche market.
    True, netbooks, and laptops have unlimited flexibility compared to the iPad and for heavy users, the iPad is a toy. The Slate remains to be seen so the 5 hours it hopefully lasts could end up being 3 while running heavy applications like iTunes or Microsoft Office. The iPad is just a cleaner device IMO and has an OS built for it. I mean people say Windows 7 works on low powered devices but my question is how well and at what price on battery and heat issues.

In regards to replacing the netbook or laptop, I think Jobs has basically given us a blank slate and combining that with the right apps can most definitely become a netbook or laptop replacement. I mean we see Netflix, Air Video, ABC, News, Magazine apps, its been two weeks and we see all of this. Imagine 3 months or more. 3000 apps on launch day, Palm doesn't even have that many till this day. Being a game changer seems like an understatement to me.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    In regards to replacing the netbook or laptop, I think Jobs has basically given us a blank slate and combining that with the right apps can most definitely become a netbook or laptop replacement. I mean we see Netflix, Air Video, ABC, News, Magazine apps, its been two weeks and we see all of this. Imagine 3 months or more. 3000 apps on launch day, Palm doesn't even have that many till this day. Being a game changer seems like an understatement to me.
    Jobs still hasn't given me, not a student, a compelling reason to buy an iPad instead of a small laptop, never mind a tablet or net book, besides the obvious sleekness and cool form factor of the iPad. I can get Netflix, news, and just about every other feature the 3000 iPad apps provide and more with a cheaper device that, while lacking 10 hours of battery life, is infinity more versatile and just as portable.

I look at it this way - the iPad is a new game in town, not a game changer. Its not going to change the way people use, or ditch, their portable computers (netbooks or laptops) in any significant way unlike what the iPhone did when it changed the smart phone market and opened smart phones up to the everyday user. Netbooks and small laptops are just so much versatile than the iPad. From day 1, there is pretty much nothing the iPad does that a netbook couldn't, the same cannot be said for the iPhone. When it was released competitor products were difficult to use and were stuck with lame touch screens. The iPhone changed the game for smart phones as a result.
    Last edited by solarus; 04/16/2010 at 04:45 PM.
    Jobs still hasn't given me, not a student, a compelling reason to buy an iPad instead of a small laptop, never mind a tablet or net book, besides the obvious sleekness and cool form factor of the iPad. I can get Netflix, news, and just about every other feature the 3000 iPad apps provide and more with a cheaper device that, while lacking 10 hours of battery life, is infinity more versatile and just as portable.

I look at it this way - the iPad is a new game in town, not a game changer. Its not going to change the way people use, or ditch, their portable computers (netbooks or laptops) in any significant way unlike what the iPhone did when it changed the smart phone market and opened smart phones up to the everyday user. Netbooks and small laptops are just so much versatile than the iPad. From day 1, there is pretty much nothing the iPad does that a netbook couldn't, the same cannot be said for the iPhone. When it was released competitor products were difficult to use and were stuck with lame touch screens. The iPhone changed the game for smart phones as a result.
    I agree with netbooks doing more than the iPad but to some people its sort of like saying a Hummer can drive better in the desert than an Audi S5. Unless you live in the desert, the Audi will give you a smoother ride through the city, save gas (battery life) and look a lot better at the same time. I'm not saying ditch your netbook or laptop, I'm saying it can be replaced with the right apps for many people. Can you name some common tasks you carry out on your netbook that couldn't be done on an iPad besides flash and multitasking?
  14.    #14  
    I agree with netbooks doing more than the iPad but to some people its sort of like saying a Hummer can drive better in the desert than an Audi S5. Unless you live in the desert, the Audi will give you a smoother ride through the city, save gas (battery life) and look a lot better at the same time. I'm not saying ditch your netbook or laptop, I'm saying it can be replaced with the right apps for many people. Can you name some common tasks you carry out on your netbook that couldn't be done on an iPad besides flash and multitasking?
    I believe the ipad can replace a good amount of netbooks for people. When I think of a netbook, I think of browsing the web, instant messaging, email, and light gaming. That sounds like anything the ipad can do. The benefit of the netbook is definitely the physical keyboard and ability to run multiple applications at the same time. I'm sure there are physical keyboard accessoried available for the ipad, but then it loses a lot of it's portability. This makes the netbook much more portable if you need a physical keyboard most of the time.

I agree with you guys that the ipad is best suited for students. It's definitely not for everyone though.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I totally disagree with your analogy but you are right about common activities being easy to do on both. The major difference though is with full fledged applications on a netbook I can do more things with one application where with the iPad at least as the apps stand now I might have to buy several apps to the job of 1 netbook application. I guess it's the app model I think is the biggest flaw. Although having to buy an app to do something as basic as printing is a hardware issue I would raise with the iPad.
    I see a big market for the iPad with the computer illiterate. For example, my mother tried my iPad and within minutes was checking her email, browsing the web, and viewing pictures of her grand children. She has a desktop that she never uses because it's to complicated for her.

She will now be selling her desktop and buying an iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I see a big market for the iPad with the computer illiterate. For example, my mother tried my iPad and within minutes was checking her email, browsing the web, and viewing pictures of her grand children. She has a desktop that she never uses because it's to complicated for her.

She will now be selling her desktop and buying an iPad.
    I'm also thinking about getting one for my mom. My main/only concern is what to tell her if she wants to print :-)
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    I'm also thinking about getting one for my mom. My main/only concern is what to tell her if she wants to print :-)
    I'm sure the ipad has some way to hook up to a wireless printer... If it doesn't, just tell your mother that no one prints anymore and to stop living in the past
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Printing is way to advanced for my mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Printing is way to advanced for my mother.
    ditto. She's not been able to print with her current laptop anyway :-)