Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    now dell is jumping on the android ship, gonna be a crazy 6 mos in the mobile phone world that's for sure ...
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Android is sure getting quite a bit of attention from consumers, phone mfgs, and carriers. Palm needs to step it up.
    I love webOS as much as all of you out there, but when people say that Android is a step backwards, then I have to partially disagree.

In a way, it's hard to directly compare the two because they have two totally different ways of showing info to a user. The whole idea behind webos is the clean interface, no cluttered homescreen, just your pretty wallpaper and a couple of buttons at the bottom. What always bugged me was the dumb icon on the right for bringing up the launcher, I mean really, who uses that? Anyhow, if you want to see something you have to open an app, and as we all know, that takes a while on the Pre. So to remedy that, you are supposed to leave a bunch of cards open so you don't have to open apps all the time, and you can just scroll through them as needed. Ok, great, until you get your first TMC error!

Looking at Sense on the Evo and Incredible, what do we see...hm, 7 home screens, and a lot of widgets that you can place where ever you want, and they even come in different sizes, and yes, they stay where you put them, and Android won't tell you that you have too many of them open. So, in a way, using an Android phone with Sense is basically like having 7 cards open all the time, but you potentially will be able to display even more info on them since you don't have to pick full screen widgets all the time. Add to that that the screen is huge and makes web browsing even better, esp since we already have some flash functionalitly, no checkerboarding, and.....when we close a browser and open it back up again, you are right back to where you were, unlike on webos where you get to wait until the site you were on is reloaded eventhough you left the card open.

I am sorry, but, to me, Sense makes sense, together with the huge popularity of Android, the fast growing number of apps....I just don't have a choice....Evo, here I come!
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I love webOS as much as all of you out there, but when people say that Android is a step backwards, then I have to partially disagree.

In a way, it's hard to directly compare the two because they have two totally different ways of showing info to a user. The whole idea behind webos is the clean interface, no cluttered homescreen, just your pretty wallpaper and a couple of buttons at the bottom. What always bugged me was the dumb icon on the right for bringing up the launcher, I mean really, who uses that? Anyhow, if you want to see something you have to open an app, and as we all know, that takes a while on the Pre. So to remedy that, you are supposed to leave a bunch of cards open so you don't have to open apps all the time, and you can just scroll through them as needed. Ok, great, until you get your first TMC error!

Looking at Sense on the Evo and Incredible, what do we see...hm, 7 home screens, and a lot of widgets that you can place where ever you want, and they even come in different sizes, and yes, they stay where you put them, and Android won't tell you that you have too many of them open. So, in a way, using an Android phone with Sense is basically like having 7 cards open all the time, but you potentially will be able to display even more info on them since you don't have to pick full screen widgets all the time. Add to that that the screen is huge and makes web browsing even better, esp since we already have some flash functionalitly, no checkerboarding, and.....when we close a browser and open it back up again, you are right back to where you were, unlike on webos where you get to wait until the site you were on is reloaded eventhough you left the card open.

I am sorry, but, to me, Sense makes sense, together with the huge popularity of Android, the fast growing number of apps....I just don't have a choice....Evo, here I come!
    Great insight!

Well put!
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    So, how does Android handle multitasking? Swiping back and forth between home screens just doesn't do it for me. I assume the developers are working on an implementation if it does not yet exist...
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    So, how does Android handle multitasking? Swiping back and forth between home screens just doesn't do it for me. I assume the developers are working on an implementation if it does not yet exist...
    You do a long press on the home button and the last 6 apps you have used will pop up in a grid like pressing "alt-tab" on a PC.

Look in this ad for the droid, it shows it to you.

How is the web browser? Right now that is the only thing keeping me from going back to my 700P. I too may go with an Android come June.
    Avigo > PalmIII > PalmIIIEX > Visor > Prism > Prism w/Data module > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Pre
    It's adequate but I also installed Dolphin and Opera Mini. They're both free and can be downloaded from the store. There's yet another in the Android app store you can choose, but I cannot remember the name.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yeah I'm noticing it also but since the EVO will have a huge keyboard, and I'm sure that they are going to take advantage of swype so I'm sure that the accuracy might be dead on. and not to mention probably a real spell checker.
    Quote Originally Posted by starlord II View Post
    How is the web browser? Right now that is the only thing keeping me from going back to my 700P. I too may go with an Android come June.
    The web browser looks great. In all of the videos I have seen, there was no checker boarding at all, it also reformats text to fit the screen, something the Pre version of webkit does not do. It's also fast, I saw a review where they tested browsing speed on the Incredible, and the browser was usually faster than the iPhone 3GS, and that included loading whatever flash content it could handle, of course the 3GS didn't have to do any of that coz Steve Job personally told it not to! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    You do a long press on the home button and the last 6 apps you have used will pop up in a grid like pressing "alt-tab" on a PC.

Look in this ad for the droid, it shows it to you.

Your name looks oddly familiar...lol
    Your name looks oddly familiar...lol
    Shhhh....don't blow my cover!!!

Quote Originally Posted by starlord II View Post

Should run at about the same speed or faster on the Evo.

Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    Yeah I'm noticing it also but since the EVO will have a huge keyboard, and I'm sure that they are going to take advantage of swype so I'm sure that the accuracy might be dead on. and not to mention probably a real spell checker.
    I was playing around with a Hero in a sprint store the other day, and I didn't find the HTC keyboard to be all that bad. The spell correction was really nice actually. It also lets you add words to the dictionary so it can better correct you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12