Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    So . . . I am so tired of waiting for AT&T to release the Pre that I am seriously considering getting the Nexus One. Setting aside price--as I have not bought a new phone for soooo long that I can swallow the full price of the N1--what features am I giving up if I go to the N1?

I have a Treo 680. I love the keyboard on the Treos. But the keyboard on the Pre is not as good (IMHO). Folks say that they are adjusting to virtual keyboards (iPhone, N1, Droid).

Plus, Palm is not doing so well.

Anyone have any thoughts on the N1?

Thanks,

aviduser
    1995- Newton Message Pad 2000
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    2008- Another Treo 680 (wc) (unlocked)
    android is not as intuitive as webos or iphone. If it has sense UI then it's better then basic android but ud be giving up the gesture area, simpler notifications (in android the phone just seems to make a sound and not show you what just happened, atleast in the build I've used) and the UI Yif not sense) is not all that atractive. It doea have more apps and better hardware but, os wise the pre is simpler has better multitouch support, and seems to have more potential.
    Well I think WebOS is the best OS by far and anyone who has used it extensively will always choose it over any competitor. So my opinions are very bias, maybe even unfairly so. You should really take everything you read on this site in regard to other phones with a grain of salt, just as you should on other phone forums about the Pre.

In regard to nexus one, I personally believe it has a similar problem as the rest of the Android phones, large range of hardware on one OS. While nexus is more likely to be updated than the rest it doesn't have the support of the other companies, such as HTC's touch UI addition, and will always fall to Google's whims.

I also personally have some reservations buying anything made by Google. At the heart they are an advertising company, and their not dumb, they're not providing these services and new technologies without expecting their advertising to grow in return. They also don't have a true investment in Android, if they fall on hard times they will have no reservations dropping it, while a company like Palm which invest and rely on their phones won't just drop something unless there is absolutely no other option.

I'd encourage you to continue to read as many articles as you can about android (try looks for ones that specifically say android sucks and other that say it's the holy grail so you can better find all pros and cons).
    Let me see...you ARE on PreCentral (albeit Cross-Platform threads). So let me ansewr for most everyone here:
    "No"...you should get a Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    My wife got a Samsung Moment a few days ago and I've had the chance to play with her phone. I was certainly curious to try Android for myself. IMHO, WebOS is a much better OS. Notifications are great, multitasking is great, email and messaging apps/programs are better looking and more functional. It made me even more pleased with my Pre. She does a lot of texting, so for her, the bigger slide-out keyboard was a big plus.

You're certainly asking a biased crowd, but even with hindsight, I'd still buy any WebOS phone over any other operating system.
    Yeah, you're in the wrong forum. If you really want a Nexus One then go for it.

I won't get one because

a) Cards. Much easier multitasking
    b) notifications are sublime on the Pre
    c) Form factor. For me, I prefer something small and tight. And if you haven't tried the Pre keyboard you should
    d) 3d games. I like to play too
    e) Fast updates
    f) the Pre community

The Nexus one is a great phone, and if you want to know if you should get one, go to Android central, I'm sure they've got a great community too.
    - Android is RAPIDLY consuming the market right now and everyone is noticing this, which means developers and companies are flocking to develop for it.
    - It's open source which means your options of customization are endless.
    - It's backed by Google so it's going nowhere anytime soon.
    - Tight integration to all Google services (if you use them).

The only MAJOR difference between WebOS and Android is how swapping between running applications is handled. Many like the card aspect of WebOS, but others find that hitting a button to change apps is just as easy.

Notifications on Android are similar but different. There is a notification tray that pulls down from the top that shows you all of your notifications. Actually, I prefer this over WebOS' as it takes up zero screen real estate (especially considering the small size of the Pre and Pixi).

You don't have to worry about 'closing applications' on Android; Android has great memory management. Many here you will find are completely clueless about the whole topic of application management on Android. The fact is, you open an app, hit the home or back button and that's it.. nothing else to worry about.

I suggest going into a store and playing around with an Android device. Particularly one that's on par with the Nexus One (as in running Android 2.1 and similar hardware).

And anyone that says 3D gaming isn't available on Android are idiots. 3D gaming is just as prevalent on Android as it is now on WebOS (probably more so -- take a peak around http://androidandme.com/)
    Even if you put the two phones overall at equivalents for the sake of financial comparisons... Do you really want to be the X amount more for the Nexus one? FWIW that phone btw is not selling well... the droid is/was selling well bc of vz. If you dont care about the $ then you really need to try the devices out..if you can get a device for 30 days that runs android you may be able to return it (my friend dropped the droid for the pre plus for numerous reasons) and then grab the pre when it comes out prob in the next 30 days or so?
    Quote Originally Posted by abbodabbodo View Post
    Even if you put the two phones overall at equivalents for the sake of financial comparisons... Do you really want to be the X amount more for the Nexus one? FWIW that phone btw is not selling well... the droid is/was selling well bc of vz. If you dont care about the $ then you really need to try the devices out..if you can get a device for 30 days that runs android you may be able to return it (my friend dropped the droid for the pre plus for numerous reasons) and then grab the pre when it comes out prob in the next 30 days or so?
    It's online only, and has been available only for T-Mobile (very small market) until recently. Of course sales aren't going to be astronomical when it's only carrier is T-Mobile and no demo units are available.

Here within a month it will be available for ALL major US carriers. Then we'll see how sales are.

Here's some videos to checkout:
    Nexus One Unboxing / Demo -
    Nexus One Dock -
    Quote Originally Posted by aviduser View Post
    Plus, Palm is not doing so well.
    <rant>

This part of your post is what I will never understand about people in a market situation, and something that will always make me want to tear out my hear in bushels, screaming "WHYYYYYY" from the top of my lungs:

Basically, what you're saying is "this company is ailing because too few people buy its product, which I like. But I won't buy the product because the company is ailing and too few people buy its product." It's basically a vicious circle that can destroy innovative companies and products for no reason other than peer pressure and a public that really loves a winner and hates a loser. In a market situation, where winning and losing are functions of, basically, popularity, this means one thing: once somebody is a winner, they will stay one, no matter their actual product. If you're not already a big player, you won't ever become one. Why? Your team is small and needs more people to join in order to succeed. Why should i join your team if I can join the one that's already successful, despite its shortcomings in other areas?

</rant>

If you've played around with a Nexus AND a Pre before, go for the Nexus if you actually like Android better than webOS. People might not like the way webOS works, how it does things, how it feels - that's preference, fair enough. But please don't just go Android (or anything else) because other people are. That's just being -- at the risk of sounding corny -- a sheep. And that's what a lot of people are being.

OK, I'm done now. Just needed to get that out - feeling so much lighter now...
    Don't get a phone. Move into a cave or a lean-to in the woods and live off the land.
    The best piece of advice I can give you is to first... really think to yourself... can i actually not wait any longer?? If you op yes, than go grab yourself a Nexus One. If you op No, than you still have a interest in waiting. Secondly, right now, besides Internal hard memory and cpu, the pres basically run the same, so head on out to Sprint/Verizon and try out the Pre for like 30 minutes, maybe write down what you liked about it and did not like. Than head off to somewhere that will let you check out a nexus one, I believe Tmobile... and repeat. Than come to terms with whatever one suites ur mood... Its going to be your phone and everyone uses their phone differently. Some use it aggresivley ( me net, pics, video, music, the works) and others (phone calls and a bit of internet use here and there) So just go with what makes you happy
    Just like to add my 2 pence, have a Nexus One (got it at launch shipped to the UK) always liked the Pre but was put off by the k/b after a 10 minute play in O2 last year.

Just got a Pre (not plus) last week, love it used to the k/b now and prefer it to the soft k/b on the Nexus (and iPhone, had 2G and 3G) as I like yourself had a treo 680.

Wish I had got it last year despite the h/w quirks. Was told by other people why are you buying a Palm their going under, I said, so what I have an awesome phone and I like the underdog

Like already mentioned, buy what you want, not what others tell you or you read on the interwebs (it will drive you mad lol) as long as your happy
    The Nexus One has major build issues. I would move on to something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddct View Post
    The Nexus One has major build issues. I would move on to something else.
    Is that from personal experience? As my N1 is solid, the only issue has been software where occasionally it would drop signal then reboot, but the phone has been up for 16 days so far, when it has done the drop and reboot its been up for ~10 days.

I haven't had any problem with the touch screen either, someone somewhere on the web will have run some tests that shows abc is better than xyz and it's of no relevance to 99% of users but makes for good page hits

You will always find someone whos unhappy
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Yes...No...Maybe.

Personally, I have loved the ease of use of the WebOS and how I can effortlessly go from one app to another without even three different movements. I came from the 755p and the switch to the keyboard wasn't that bad and after a week, it was hard to think how I typed on my Treo before. I also like the homebrew side where you can tweak the phone to how you like it rather than having the same phone as everyone else.

I guess the question you need to ask is what are your needs and will the Pre fill those needs or would something else fit better. The other thing is that if you have waited this long, you might consider waiting another couple months and see what gets released for the summer to see if any of those will make you really want that phone.

Best of luck with your phone hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerNamedfTony07 View Post
    The best piece of advice I can give you is to first... really think to yourself... can i actually not wait any longer?? If you op yes, than go grab yourself a Nexus One. If you op No, than you still have a interest in waiting. Secondly, right now, besides Internal hard memory and cpu, the pres basically run the same, so head on out to Sprint/Verizon and try out the Pre for like 30 minutes, maybe write down what you liked about it and did not like. Than head off to somewhere that will let you check out a nexus one, I believe Tmobile... and repeat. Than come to terms with whatever one suites ur mood... Its going to be your phone and everyone uses their phone differently. Some use it aggresivley ( me net, pics, video, music, the works) and others (phone calls and a bit of internet use here and there) So just go with what makes you happy
    This is the best advice. Try them both out in the stores(if you can) and see which one suits you best. What we think is actually a bit worthless since we don't know your needs.

But what I think is since AT&T is taking it's sweet time releasing the Pre, if you want a phone NOW, you could try the N1. And if all else fails, you can sell the N1 if it doesn't work for you. People will buy that one off you for sure. They're asking premiums on Craig's here in Chicago for them. I did read May or June somewhere for the Pre release but it's not set in concrete.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I have a nexus 1. I do like the screen, build quality, and notification system. I hate the keyboard and the email client (it's terrible).

Multitasking on android is handled very similar to the way the iPhone 4.0 OS will multitask.

Widgets are mostly useless and get old after awhile.
    Not for the most used items. They're not too much different from iPhone icons in that sense. Widgets are great shortcuts. I did clean up my screen and removed widgets I rarely use.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!