Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I bought my Pre when it first came out, on June 6. This June 6, I will walk into a Sprint store to see what Android phones are available and what will be soon available, unless Palm makes the following changes to webOS and the Pre:
    1)Add voice-activated dialing.
    2)Fix the camera so it can read UPC bar codes. The app to do price checks already exists, but the camera can't read the bar codes.
    3)Fix the web browser. It freezes up and causes "too many card errors"

I want all of this done before June or I'm walking away from Palm.

Some of you may argue with the features I'm giving priority to, but voice-activated dialing is nearly universal, other smart phones read bar codes and the ongoing problem with too many cards makes Palm's claims of multi-tasking a joke.

As far as Palm being small or deserving my patience, neither point has merit. I'm a customer, I have choices and I vote with my dollars. If Palm wants more money from me, they'll have to earn it.

For a company that isn't selling enough phones and has ongoing problems with product development, it should pay attention to the Pre owners that are ready to shut off their phones for good. If Palm can't keep us, they certainly won't get the thousands of new customers they require just to keep the doors open.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Maybe do you want to talk about Android sh*ts?
    Why tell us? You are preaching to the choir on the issues you point out, perhaps you should tell Palm, we can't do anything about it...
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Sprint has ****ty Android phones IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrguser View Post
    Sprint has ****ty Android phones IMO.
    their android phones now are a bit dated but the evo 4g will be pretty sweet that comes out this summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTechPug View Post
    their android phones now are a bit dated but the evo 4g will be pretty sweet that comes out this summer.
    Not to mention they are getting the N1 sometime. My guess is in summer.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Not to mention they are getting the N1 sometime. My guess is in summer.
    i am really hoping they do it will add a bit more to their line up although VZW is still waiting on their version and that was announced to be coming right around the release of the N1.

I really hope the next round of WebOS devices come with a bigger screen like 3.1" pixi2 and 3.5" pre2 slider that would be really nice probably my biggest if not only gripe with the palm devices is they need bigger screens to appreciate the elegance of WebOS
    Palm already made money on you. I doubt that your particular needs/demands are at the top of Palm's priority list.
    Right now, the Pre will need a 3.7-4.0" screen to survive. The iPhone HD will supposedly sport a 3.7" screen with double its current resolution. From the 800Mhz patch and the difference in performance that 512MB of RAM vs 256MB of RAM made, the next gen WebOS device needs to have a fast processor, I am hoping for dual 1GHz tegra 2 or OMAP4, and at least 512MB of RAM. I would like to see Palm push the envelope and have 1GB of RAM.

I also think it is time to have a software keyboard, but that it is debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Palm already made money on you. I doubt that your particular needs/demands are at the top of Palm's priority list.
    Actually no...they didn't make money on him. If you are up-to-date on Palm's financial woes, you know they are hemorrhaging cash. They need to listen to consumers more than ever now, because they cannot afford to lose any customers to Apple or Google.

Android in my opinion is nothing to brag about, its just that its everywhere and you cant help to see it. the old cliche the more you see something the more you like it, and believe me I had a hero for a couple of months and if you hate the browser freezen, and other issues dont think that androids grass is greenier. If you are unhappy about your pre go get a android, if you cant wait and be patient with the grips you have thats the only option. I dont think anyone here is going to talk you into keeping your pre on behalf of palm. Either you llike your device or not either way we don't care as respectfull as I can say it.
    actully their hemorging cash because of back inventory, not current sales. If they sell a phone yes Palm made a profit. If they sell a phone then that person buys a Google or Apple phone then palm and either of them made a profit. Their money loss is due to bad marketing, having released a beta product intially, bad timing (though releasing the pre on verizon any sooner then they did would have been worse due to the basics like video recording wasent there, and the OS was really laggy) and a product design that has been pushed aside for a straight slab, big screen look. I agree with you on releasing the specs you stated, and to me add a landscape keyboard and a virtual one, more on the lines design of the touch pro 2.They will continue to loose customers to Google and Apple if they dont release a device thats up to date with the masses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Actually no...they didn't make money on him. If you are up-to-date on Palm's financial woes, you know they are hemorrhaging cash. They need to listen to consumers more than ever now, because they cannot afford to lose any customers to Apple or Google.
    Yes, of course you're correct, but let's not forget that someone implying that Palm needn't listen doesn't in any way indicate that Palm itself thinks this way. I'm 100% confident that Palm is doing everything they can to survive, which includes the desire to make devices that people want to buy.

Throughout all of this, we should keep in mind that there's a big difference between what Palm can do and what they should do.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Yes, of course you're correct, but let's not forget that someone implying that Palm needn't listen doesn't in any way indicate that Palm itself thinks this way. I'm 100% confident that Palm is doing everything they can to survive, which includes the desire to make devices that people want to buy.

Throughout all of this, we should keep in mind that there's a big difference between what Palm can do and what they should do.

very well said, because what Rub continues to state all the time is how Palm wants it customers to be happy with what they have. Hence the what is it 9 or so updates already, what company has done so many updates on one phone in its existance. As I stated before Im happy with my Pre, with Palm, and how they do buisness. I believe they do the best they can, at a rate they can to satisfy current and future customers. So if you think not, there are other manufactures out there who will be glad to have you. People complain about palm loosing money, about the product, the design. Rub has been here before with apple, before the iphone and during. When anaylist stated death to Apple Rub was there and fought it out. Sometimes I think people don't understand hardtimes, and how hard it is to be a independant company reaching for a dream like Palm is doing. Yes its going to be tough, but what road isnt for a small company.
    Why don't you get a job in a grocery store. Maybee they will give you a bar code reader to play with. As far as voice dialing you could yell need more chips on isle 3.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    My wife recently bought a Samsung Moment with Android OS. It is an OK phone but is nothing like the Palm Pre.

I haven't seen anything that is as well designed and consistent as WebOs. Sure, there are things I would like to see added/changed, but right now, there is nothing that really compares to the Palm Pre.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I don't get the whole voice-dialing thing and why so many people want it.

My three things are
    1)Better hardware - Faster CPU & maybe a Bigger Screen
    2)Diff Form Factor - Pixi like
    3)Happy Me
    I think this is actually a valuable thread, because it remains true that people should buy the device that meets their needs. For myself, these things are:

1. Audio recording: I think this is one the biggest mysteries with Palm and webOS at this point: why isn't there microphone support in the SDK? If it were, then we'd have voice recording apps and, I'm sure, voice dialing. Also, apps like Shazam would be possible, which would also be welcome.

2. Docs to Go: Another mystery: why hasn't Dataviz released Docs to Go for webOS? And, why do they remain silent on the issue? Because the inability to edit Office documents remains one of the glaring weaknesses of webOS as a business device, Palm should work more closely and firmly with Dataviz to get this released.

I can't think of anything else at the moment that I require to make my Pre fully productive for me. Sure, there are things I'd like to have, such as bar code scanners, but those things aren't nearly enough for me to leave the elegance of webOS for a kludgey, Windows-mobile like mobile OS no matter how many apps it has.

At the same time, we're at an interesting point in mobile technology. With Windows Phone 7 coming at the end of the year, there are some decisions to be made. I can see nothing for me from iPhone and Android, but WP7 does offer some advantages. As a Zune aficionado, for example, I am attracted to the notion of a smartphone that supports my Zune Pass. And, if Microsoft puts good versions of Office (including OneNote) on it, and supports SharePoint and Exchange as well as they could, then WP7 could be pretty attractive. If Microsoft doesn't enable multitasking, however, the forget 'em.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    simple...its your money get whatever phone you want...
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    A few thoughts/retorts.

I'm glad to see this has sparked some discussion. Some Palm reps due browse through these boards and perhaps this thread will help. If not, I'll go elsewhere.

Nexus 1 and a 4G Android phone are both coming to Sprint. The downside to both is that they don't have Palm's keypad, which I really like. The upside is that phones should have all of the features that I want. (To be fair, I have not seen complete specs. If they don't I'll figure out a plan B)

As far as the new Windows Mobile, it is another threat that Palm will face and another reason for Palm to start moving a whole lot quicker. It doesn't matter how bad WM will be, it will still be additional competition for Palm.

I think Rub has done an awful job with managing the company. Since the Pre was launched there has been the debacle with iTunes, the lousy advertising at launch, the lousy Verizon launch, OS updates that slowed the phone down, just to name a few. Rub can say all he wants about having a plan, the reality is that his execution has not been good. He needs to turn things around now, not tomorrow.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast