1.    #1  
    Dissecting Apple's iPhone 4.0's sources of 'me-too' inspiration

Dissecting Apple's iPhone 4.0's sources of 'me-too' inspiration | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com

Apple launched its iPhone 4.0 OS today and the big news is that it now multitasks. Why didnít I jump out of my chair? Because other mobile operating systems can do that. In fact, many of the iPhone 4.0 buzz revolves around technologies I vaguely recall elsewhere.

Letís recap the highlights:

Multitasking: Apple CEO Steve Jobs noted that the company wasnít to the multitasking bandwagon first, but will be the best. In any case, Google Android, RIMís BlackBerry, Nokiaís Symbian and Palmís WebOS also do the multitasking shuffle.

Customized wallpaper. Sam Diaz can explain this one from his live blog.

A quick demo of how to customize wallpaper for the home screen, the lock screen or both. Itís pretty easy and also pretty widespread on other devices - but Jobs has a way of making it look like innovative breakthrough technology from Apple.

A unified inbox. The iPhone now allows for more than one Exchange account. You can also organize email by thread. And attachments can be opened with apps. Inspiration here: RIMís Blackberry and Android.

Gallery: Apple adds multitasking to iPhone 4.0

iBooks and e-book reader for iPhone OS. Your iPad books will now come to the iPhone and iPod touch. There will be wireless syncing to hold your place. Sound familiar? See Kindle Apps.

Better data protection and enhanced encryption. VPN support. Inspiration: BlackBerry among others.

Social gaming experiences. You can invite friends to play games with you. Inspiration: Xbox Live. Nintendo DSi.

Add it up and Appleís latest iPhone 4.0 push has a lot of me-too features involved. If you swapped Steves (Jobs for Ballmer) at this keynote, the guy from the Redmond would get crushed with these features. The Steve from Cupertino gets applause. The best item from Apple here is the iAds app advertising by far. Thatís original thinking. As for the rest of the event, Jobs should have linked out to the mobile platforms that had these features first.

Just the truth
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Nothing wrong with Apple incorporating valuable features that they did not invent. The first Mac pulled together features from other OSs -- but implemented the solution in a way that was better than the sum of the parts.

If I was an iPhone user I would be overjoyed that Apple hasn't fallen into NIH syndrome. I supposed I would only wonder why Apple took so long to implement something that was obviously the right answer.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Add it up and Appleís latest iPhone 4.0 push has a lot of me-too features involved.

Just the truth
    Isn't the reason that the iPhone updates are so unimpressive because they got so much right from the start? Copy/Paste came 2yrs late. Multitasking came 3yrs late. But during that long wait the platform rose to ridiculous marketshare and popularity because these "missing" features weren't as important than the overall quality of the hardware, OS and apps.

Now let's look at palm. They nailed the multitasking from the start and copy paste is tolerable. So why are they floundering? Because they failed in the things consumers actually wanted. Quality apps, solid hardware and an OS that doesn't get in the way of your workflow with slowdown and unfixed bugginess.

"Just the truth"
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    The reason that the iPhone updates are so unimpressive because they got so much right from the start. Copy/Paste came 2yrs late. Multitasking came 3yrs late. But during that long wait the platform rose to ridiculous marketshare and popularity because these "missing" features weren't as important than the overall quality of the hardware, OS and apps.

Now let's look at palm. They nailed the multitasking from the start and copy paste is tolerable. So why are they floundering? Because they failed in the things consumers actually wanted. Quality apps, solid hardware and an OS that doesn't get in the way of your workflow with slowdown and unfixed bugginess.

"Just the truth"
    Or did Apple simply take advantage of their brand and huge iPod user base that were already locked into the Apple ecosystem.

No denying that Apples' harware quality is outstanding. I agree that is one of the reasons they are successful. The primay reason is not the qualit of the iPhone itself. People have been willing to live with the trade offs because of everything else the Apple brand and ecosystem has to offer.

Most people Apple users would not know where to begin find DRM free music, aside from paying a premuim in the Itunes store, or hoe to transoce movies to play on mobile devices.

Apple is to phones and media players what AOL used to be to the Internet. Easy to use but you gotta play by their rules and if you want more than what they give, well you either wait or learn how to get it on your own...
    Me too features, unoriginal features, tyrants, locked platform, locked ecosystems, that and this.

Their phones are selling, people are flocking to the brand.

Apple is synonymous with creativity and innovation.

The iPhone is a one-year old phone and still remains relevant, competitive and still sets the standard in a lot of areas and not just build quality.

Now, unless Apple starts negative ads against Palm, I am not going to choose sides. Apple does what Apple does.

Palm just needs to just keep doing what they are doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbPreCommenter View Post
    Mediocre quality, incomplete OS, poor advertising campaign, plummeting stock. Personally, I think Palm needs to do something different.
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbPreCommenter View Post
    Palm has continued to do what 'Palm does', and now they're on the auction block.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Palm has continued to do what 'Palm does', and now they're on the auction block.
    Well, they have been through quite a few re-structures, so you can think of the latest as more of the same.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT