Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Last edited by kinster02; 04/08/2010 at 06:59 PM.
  2. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I don't like how your supposed to press the home button so much. Makes me think of wear n' tear issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    I don't like how your supposed to press the home button so much. Makes me think of wear n' tear issues.
    Let's hope so!!

EDIT: Just watched the video (thanks dpc) and WOW... what an inelegant (half a.s.s.) solution to 'multitasking'. eeeww.
    You should share this like over HERE too
    Still waiting to see true multi-tasking where apps run in the background and not just pause with only one program running at a time.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    wow thats not true multitasking
    That likes SO bad..
    And sliding your Pre up/down for the keyboard isn't? How many returned Pre's have there been vs. iPhones for 'home button issues'? I bet there's been a lot more Pre returns for oreo issues than there have been iPhones for home button issues and that's saying something considering how much of a mass market the iPhone is.

Just something to think about ..

And personally, their implementation of multitasking is no better or worse than what WebOS has. It's comparing apples to oranges in my opinion, they did a pretty good job without ripping off Palm. And yes, it is TRUE multitasking, applications continue to run in the background if they're DEVELOPED to do so.
    Last edited by barkerja; 04/09/2010 at 05:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    And sliding your Pre up/down for the keyboard isn't? How many returned Pre's have their been vs. iPhones for 'home button issues'? I bet there's been a lot more Pre returns for oreo issues than there have been iPhones for home button issues and that's saying something considering how much of a mass market the iPhone is.

Just something to think about ..

And personally, their implementation of multitasking is no better or worse than what WebOS has. It's comparing apples to oranges in my opinion, they did a pretty good job without ripping off Palm. And yes, it is TRUE multitasking, applications continue to run in the background if they're DEVELOPED to do so.
    It is multitasking but it's limited. Devs can only multitask certain services. They cannot just multitask anything;They can't just leave their programs open in the background. They need to use the apple approved settings that only allow for certain multitasking. There are 7 services that devs are allowed to use to multitask. Like music and VOIP. If you want to do something that Apple did not plan on, your screwed.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    It is multitasking but it's limited. Devs can only multitask certain services. They cannot just multitask anything;They can't just leave their programs open in the background. They need to use the apple approved settings that only allow for certain multitasking. There are 7 services that devs are allowed to use to multitask. Like music and VOIP. If you want to do something that Apple did not plan on, your screwed.
    But if some of you stop being so close-minded about said 'limitations' you'd realize that these 7 services are ALL that is needed to run a true background task. It allows for parallel processing which is all that's required.

I suggest many of you stop listening to and believing the rumors/persuasion of others and educate yourself.

What's New in iPhone OS 4 - Apple Developer

You'll notice ONE of the services is task finishing which means that an app can complete whatever task it was in the middle of when it's minimized.
    Android has been doing it that way. I guess the "end" button on phones should be worn out then since that's how you end calls, dismiss calls, put the phone to sleep and even turn it on and off.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    How dare you be a voice of reason and silence all the pre fanb0ys.
    But if some of you stop being so close-minded about said 'limitations' you'd realize that these 7 services are ALL that is needed to run a true background task. It allows for parallel processing which is all that's required.

I suggest many of you stop listening to and believing the rumors/persuasion of others and educate yourself.

You'll notice ONE of the services is task finishing which means that an app can complete whatever task it was in the middle of when it's minimized.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Android has been doing it that way. I guess the "end" button on phones should be worn out then since that's how you end calls, dismiss calls, put the phone to sleep and even turn it on and off.
    How many power buttons have broken on the Pre now?
    No clue. I don't care about or follow the Pre. Pixi on the other hand has some vibrate switch issues, but it seems fairly random.
    How many power buttons have broken on the Pre now?

What's with the condescending attitude to the significant numbers of us folks here on PreCentral who aren't overly impressed or particularly interested in the middle-ground implementation? Ok, so you like the Apple multitasking. We get it. You are entitled to your opinion. Don't patronize us like we're idiots. But your opinion about user experience remains completely subjective.
    maybe he's condescending because you're ignorant about the iPOS4's capabilities. Maybe not you per say, but there's a difference between not liking or caring for something and not liking or caring for something because you don't fully understand what it's capable of. Since about four or so posts seem to refer to the latter, barkerja was educating them. Nothing wrong with being a bit snide about it when the comments in the other direction are similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by weenarz1176 View Post
    What's with the condescending attitude to the significant numbers of us folks here on PreCentral who aren't overly impressed or particularly interested in the middle-ground implementation? Ok, so you like the Apple multitasking. We get it. You are entitled to your opinion. Don't patronize us like we're idiots. But your opinion about user experience remains completely subjective.
    Why? Because I'm sick and tired of people here posting false claims. Everyone here is quick to ignore the faults of WebOS and Palm but is quick to make uninformed accusations/claims about other devices.

I like to consider myself a middleman. I own all the devices (Pre, iPhone, Hero and a BlackBerry [I'm a developer]), so I like to think of myself as rather unbiased, I just like to call things as they are.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    The Apple implementation makes a lot of sense -- except is it true that you cannot run IM in the background? That would really blow.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    The Apple implementation makes a lot of sense -- except is it true that you cannot run IM in the background? That would really blow.
    There's no service for it, no. And barkerja's 'catch-all' description for the task finishing service doesn't cover that either.

Sure, there's a bunch of things you can do, but there's limits to it. That's the problem with Apple's implementation (that and the fact that all of the developers now have to go back and update old software to take advantage of that- maybe not a problem for some of the bigger devs, but what about the smaller ones with apps that are years old?)

Apple's implementation is not nearly as future-proof as webOS' either. Apple will have to continue to refine and add to the background services otherwise they'll get left behind in the area of multitasking. With webOS on the other hand, anything that can be done by an application can be done with the app in a card in the background. While Apple's version might help them with memory usage now, as the technology advances, that'll become less and less relevant anyway.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast