Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    when I read on precentral a while ago,about the iphone now have multitasking,i said "damn" cuz my friend who is a iphone lover,would be saying to me... We now have multitasking too. I saw the video and look at how the iphone does multitasking,and what the hell is that. Lmao! Now I still have something to brag about. (go palm go)
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    when I read on precentral a while ago,about the iphone now have multitasking,i said "damn" cuz my friend who is a iphone lover,would be saying to me... We now have multitasking too. I saw the video and look at how the iphone does multitasking,and what the hell is that. Lmao! Now I still have something to brag about. (go palm go)
    Define "multitasking"?
    "Multi-tasking" will be the new catchphrase for everybody else now.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Define "multitasking"?
    when you have a application running in the background,not frozen and waiting to be active again.... Please! Go palm go!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    when you have a application running in the background,not frozen and waiting to be active again.... Please! Go palm go!!
    Apple has given developers the necessary tools to create "background" applications, just like Palm has. There are only a few small minor differences really.
    so the iphone still can't browse and play pandora at the same time?
    Iphone could barely walk and chew gum at the same time, and now they wanna give multi tasking a shoot, ain't happening
    Last edited by Menace187; 04/08/2010 at 06:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    so the iphone still can't browse and play pandora at the same time?
    yes it will
  10.    #10  
    [QUOTE=barkerja;2369718 whichever company comes up with multitasking on their device good luck with that,my palm webos devices... Will always do true multitasking. ''Life most fast,dont miss a thing""
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    Iphone could barley walk and chew gum at the same time, and now they wanna give multi tasking a shoot, ain't happening
    I could not have said it better...
    From Twitter
    @TreoRock iphone multitask is exactly what my Treo used to do 6 years ago. Maybe 6 years from now Apple will implement what my Palm Pre does today.
    about 2 hours ago via Twee
    Here is a demo i found of the new Iphone OS multi tasking....what a joke.

iPhone OS 4.0 Multitasking First Video - Iphone 4 - Gizmodo

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/i...os-4-hands-on/
    Last edited by kinster02; 04/08/2010 at 06:57 PM.
    There's a fantastic discussion of this system going on here:

http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...titasking.html

Check it out; you might learn something.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    The technical aspects aside it really doesn't matter. The UI of iPhone multitasking is visually cluncky when compared to WebOS. I'd be worrying more about the chip speed and memory in the new iPhone more than the dated UI of the OS.
    There's only so many ways you can "skin a cat" .. bravo to Apple for not ripping the implementation of others (ala WebOS) and inventing their own method for managing multitasking.

Personally, I find it intuitive and efficient; no less efficient than WebOS does it. It's swipe vs. double click -- both require minimal effort.

Now, the bigger question is which OS do you think handles multitasking better? Do you think iPhone users will see the "too many cards" error? <- Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    The technical aspects aside it really doesn't matter. The UI of iPhone multitasking is visually cluncky when compared to WebOS. I'd be worrying more about the chip speed and memory in the new iPhone more than the dated UI of the OS.
    Why? Have you seen how fast the iPad performs using the A4 and only 256 megs of ram?
    From what I read on Engadget it looks like only the Iphone Gs and newer will be able to do it. So everybody with a 3G is still left out in the cold.

Multitasking comes to iPhone OS 4.0 -- but not to the iPhone 3G -- Engadget
    Yeah, I agree the iPhone can't do 'true multitasking' as in apps in the background still running but I've been around some of the Apple forums (Mac user myself and Apple user since 85) and they are just lit up! Mostly saying 'hellz yeah we got multitasking AND no harm in battery life'.

From what I've seen in the videos it is somewhat the same as BB by 'remembering' your last apps, but it seems like everything is frozen in that state until you go back to it.

Apple's marketing will claim it is multitasking, but us Pre/Pixi users know what 'TRUE' multitasking is... apps running in the background.. stuff updating without the app running.. same like a desktop/laptop computer.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    The technical aspects aside it really doesn't matter. The UI of iPhone multitasking is visually cluncky when compared to WebOS.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Especially from eye-candy Apple you would expect something visually more appealing and more impressive. When people said it would work like Expose I thought, that's actually a good alternative to webOS' implementation. But I'll take webOS multitasking over this little task manager Apple put in any day..
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast