Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    Read carefully.... NOT once in all of your postings have you ever asked me to supply facts to 'disprove your opinion'.

The first statement that I responded to was "...But, once again, they did the least they could possibly do to keep the sheep from wandering off the farm....".(and your statement is worded as a factual statement, not an opinion) I have backed up my response with a brief statement as to what Apple has implemented. From that point on every single one of your posts in this conversation has been either an insult or a poor attempt at argument through assertion.

You appear to be completely useless when it comes to making any form of a reasoned response to a debate, instead you resort to the tactics of misdirection, assertion, and insults in an attempt to deflect the direction of the conversation. You have not answered any of my questions regarding my responses to your statements. You use snide language like 'My Lord Jobs' in an attempt to belittle myself.

You claim that you know how the multi-tasking system operates, yet you don't come across as actually understanding it. Do you have a background in comp. sci. ? Do you understand the concepts of 'sandboxing', 'cooperative scheduling' versus 'preemptive scheduling'. Have you ever coded in anything other than a scripting language? (come to think of it, have you ever written anything?)

Apple has created seven distinct ways for programs to move into the background. Those seven cover just about every conceivable way that a program would require in order to maintain a background process that does not either chew up system resources nor kill the battery....both of which are very important in mobile systems. The coding required to do this is neither trivial nor 'the least that they could do', those are FACTS.

If you would like to reply, please do. Keep in mind that I will be acerbic with any comments that do not directly address the issues about multi-tasking or do not directly answer any questions posed. I'm more than willing to engage in reasoned debate.
    Since I'm not as smart as you, I had to look this up.

blo·vi·ate (blv-t)
    intr.v. blo·vi·at·ed, blo·vi·at·ing, blo·vi·ates Slang
    To discourse at length in a pompous or boastful manner:

Talk to the hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Since I'm not as smart as you, I had to look this up.

blo·vi·ate (blv-t)
    intr.v. blo·vi·at·ed, blo·vi·at·ing, blo·vi·ates Slang
    To discourse at length in a pompous or boastful manner:

Talk to the hand.
    Your very statement proves my points for me, when pushed for an actual reasoned response you resort to misdirection, and insults. You wouldn't be able to handle a proper debate on anything!

I'm so impressed at your ability to use an online thesaurus. -snark- Did you have help with that one or did you figure it out all on your own?

As you've declined to answer any of my questions in a reasonable fashion, I can only conclude what others have already stated....you're more than likely just a troll. You obviously have no background in anything related to the discussion which is why you resort to poor debating tactics.

And YOU are the one accusing ME of hiding behind the Web.....sheesh....

My guess is that you're nothing more than a bored teenager. There are lots of other forums and social web sites for brainless twits like yourself.....go find one....or go play on the highway.....that's if you can get your fat head out of your chair.

As I stated before.....if you post insults or stupidity, you will get a nasty response....if you want to discuss this reasonably then I'm all for it....
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    Your very statement proves my points for me, when pushed for an actual reasoned response you resort to misdirection, and insults. You wouldn't be able to handle a proper debate on anything!

I'm so impressed at your ability to use an online thesaurus. -snark- Did you have help with that one or did you figure it out all on your own?

As you've declined to answer any of my questions in a reasonable fashion, I can only conclude what others have already stated....you're more than likely just a troll. You obviously have no background in anything related to the discussion which is why you resort to poor debating tactics.

And YOU are the one accusing ME of hiding behind the Web.....sheesh....

My guess is that you're nothing more than a bored teenager. There are lots of other forums and social web sites for brainless twits like yourself.....go find one....or go play on the highway.....that's if you can get your fat head out of your chair.

As I stated before.....if you post insults or stupidity, you will get a nasty response....if you want to discuss this reasonably then I'm all for it....
    Snap-on makes good tools. I like Snap-on tools.
    Snap-on makes good tools. I like Snap-on tools.
    What, can't come up with anything better than that??

So, come on now, at least answer a few of the questions that I've posted.....

1) Do you have a background in comp. sci. ?
    2) Do you understand the concepts of 'sandboxing', 'cooperative scheduling' versus 'preemptive scheduling'.
    3) Have you ever coded in anything other than a scripting language?

There you are, answer those and I'll willing have a debate on the merits (or lack thereof) of the iPhone multitasking system. If you don't choose to answer them, then don't waste your time or energy trying to come up with any more feeble insults.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    when I read on precentral a while ago,about the iphone now have multitasking,i said "damn" cuz my friend who is a iphone lover,would be saying to me... We now have multitasking too. I saw the video and look at how the iphone does multitasking,and what the hell is that. Lmao! Now I still have something to brag about. (go palm go)
    Id have to slightly agree.

It seems like in the end, iphones OS 4 will compete with webos.

WebOS still refreshes webpages/email when you come back to them. WebOS has had some sort of feature installed since launch where apps that are not running also go in some sort of hibernation.

edit* and there is no way that the pre has the same battery life as the iphone, now people are just kidding themselves.

I do not necessarily think the iphone is a true multi-tasker. But neither is the pre (anymore)
  6.    #106  
    you totally lost me about the pre not being a multi-tasker anymore. Do explain!!! Are you freaking kidding me?or just looking for a debate on here. Please get your facts in order,i started this thread about the so called multitasking of the iphone compare to the pre,and I'm damn well going to finish it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't get the "true multitasking" argument. The iPhone system will be more than enough for almost every user. I actually think it is a better system than both android and blackberry. The thing is, most people do not care that much about multitasking on their phones. if they did, the pre would have been successful and palm wouldn't about to be sold off to the highest bidder.
    I own both a Pre and an iphone and there are days where I want to throw the Pre thru the wall. The lag on this phone is a joke. Multitasking for me on a phone is so overrated. I can see it for running Pandora and IM in the background but other than that its pointless. If your phone has the power then switching back and forth between apps should be seamless, like the iphone.
    Regarding Apples way of multitasking, dont you think they experimented with other ways over what they chose? They are giving developers the means to multitask without compromising the overall experience of using an iphone. Why is that surprising to some of you? That has been Apples MO for years and its not going to change.
    The Pres way of multitasking is nice but it hinders the performance and battery so bad that it just aint worth it. The one thing I do love about the Pre is notifications which are horrible on the iPhone.
  9.    #109  
    if multitasking wasn't so important for phone users,why iphone now using it? Why! Because iphone users are tired of exiting an application,just to loggin on to another. Multitasking now in our time is a must for people like me who uses their phone for more than just talking. Sex is overrated,never multitasking. Life move fast,dont let it leave you behind.
    The iphones method of multitasking works just fine for most people. The Pre does it differently.. in most cases, probably more like a computer, but that is just a guess. Multitasking is the way of the future though and those who don't implement it will be left behind, just like any other innovation. Obviously Steve Jobs saw that it was important and worked to have it implemented. Regarding WebOS though, the phone isn't using multitasking as an afterthought, it's built around it and meant to be used as a main feature for the Pre. No longer do we have to tap an app to load it, we load them all initially and then just switch them. People complain about lag.. well, quit being dorks and stop closing the apps and just switch between them. Opening closing, opening closing.. it's so last year. Lol
    if multitasking wasn't so important for phone users,why iphone now using it? Why! Because iphone users are tired of exiting an application,just to loggin on to another. Multitasking now in our time is a must for people like me who uses their phone for more than just talking. Sex is overrated,never multitasking. Life move fast,dont let it leave you behind.
    Perhaps it is important, but it's not something you can use as your main (only) selling point. Palm found that out the hard way.
  12.    #112  
    your right,only if they could have done better with the hardware. If you have something that most company doesn't your going to use it as your main point. Your as strong as your weakest link.
    you totally lost me about the pre not being a multi-tasker anymore. Do explain!!! Are you freaking kidding me?or just looking for a debate on here. Please get your facts in order,i started this thread about the so called multitasking of the iphone compare to the pre,and I'm damn well going to finish it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    the pre now puts applicstions in a hibernation mode. Where the card gets "grayed out." Or when webpages have to refresh, or when email has to refresh. That is my point.

one of the biggest reasons to multitask is multiple web pages loading at once, but the pre struggles at times. Point being if I had to choose between pandora in the background or tabbed browsing in the baclground, I'd choose tabbed browsing.

so from my point of view, multitasking on web browser is THE multitasking feature I look to take advantage of. If that doesn't work then I could care less how well the rest of the phone multitasks.
    Last edited by wrxdrunkie; 04/12/2010 at 11:00 AM.
    What difference does it make now, webos = death by iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I don't get the "true multitasking" argument. The iPhone system will be more than enough for almost every user. I actually think it is a better system than both android and blackberry. The thing is, most people do not care that much about multitasking on their phones. if they did, the pre would have been successful and palm wouldn't about to be sold off to the highest bidder.
    I don't care for the reference to "true multitasking" either. It's not about whether or not you're running multiple processes (iPhone is already able to do that), it's how you access them in the UI.

But folks said they didn't care about copy and paste when the iPhone didn't have it either. I think their UI has been a flaw in the system that people have been willing to overlook because they love their phones, not so much that they don't care. If that makes sense. My REASONABLE iPhone-carrying friends (those that aren't afraid to actually look at it), will readily admit that they really like the interface on the Pre, if not the rest of the device.

I agree it's better than BB or Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    The iphones method of multitasking works just fine for most people. The Pre does it differently.. in most cases, probably more like a computer, but that is just a guess. Multitasking is the way of the future though and those who don't implement it will be left behind, just like any other innovation. Obviously Steve Jobs saw that it was important and worked to have it implemented. Regarding WebOS though, the phone isn't using multitasking as an afterthought, it's built around it and meant to be used as a main feature for the Pre. No longer do we have to tap an app to load it, we load them all initially and then just switch them. People complain about lag.. well, quit being dorks and stop closing the apps and just switch between them. Opening closing, opening closing.. it's so last year. Lol
    That's been my point here; I expected a UI re-design from Apple, a whole new front-end with some cool coverflow theme going or something that would blow WebOS away and they did a tack-on instead. And they won't even allow you install it on older phones so you have to buy a new one. Lame.
    I'm so far behind you guys in keeping with the latest.

I went from PalmOS to WM and just the Multi-task ability alone sold me.
    That's been my point here; I expected a UI re-design from Apple, a whole new front-end with some cool coverflow theme going or something that would blow WebOS away and they did a tack-on instead. And they won't even allow you install it on older phones so you have to buy a new one. Lame.
    Why would Apple redesign something that has been wildly successful? What attracts many people to the iPhone is the simplicity of using it. There is no way they would abandon that.

That's why I think their multitasking system is very smart. You never need to use it or even see it if you dont want it. You can go about using you iphone the exact same way you have always used it. If you don't double click the home button it will never come up.

As for it not working on older phones, eventually you have to move on from supporting devices from many years ago if you only want to run one OS version and want to keep adding new features for new devices. Can't have it both ways.
    If sales are on the rise, don't mess with it too much. Eventually they will need to change it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I'm so far behind you guys in keeping with the latest.

I went from PalmOS to WM and just the Multi-task ability alone sold me.
    I hear you. Been multi-tasking on WM phones since 2002 (when all the Palm users used to belittle multi-tasking as unnecessary ). It seems to me like most of the argument about "multitasking" in these forums is really about task switching or how to get from one already running task to another one. webOS has a very pretty way to do that, but it's not particularly efficient. WM, with the help of 3rd party developers, had more efficient task switchers, but they weren't particularly elegant. Android has a fast, clean, simple task switcher that reminds me of Windows' alt-tab, OS X's command-tab, or Linux's alt-tab. Unfortunately it's currently limited to the last 6 apps launched, but it's more useful than the card metaphor of webOS.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast