Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 123
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Well, this is what you've stated in this thread:

    Which isn't the case at all. So as far as I can tell, you either don't know how multitasking works in iPhone OS 4.0 or you're trolling. Which is it?
    Well, as far as I can tell, you're saying that I'm wrong (well, more accurately, that I'm not allowed to speak out in public against Lord Jobs), but haven't backed it up with any facts. So go right ahead. I've watched the presentation the Lord Jobs gave, I know about the selected processes that have been opened up to third party developers, I've watched a hands on of the new OS on more than one blog, and that's what I got from it. Obviously you guys have some inside information that's not available to the general public, so go ahead and enlighten.

    I've seen how it works, and I'm not impressed. IN MY OPINION (I'm not in The Collective, so I'm allowed one), the iPhone interface is outdated and, as I've already said, I've always thought of Apple as a creative company, so I expected something special. That's not what they delivered. Better, not special.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    You can either reach up and PULL your foot out of your mouth, or you can try to talk it out. I don't recommend the latter.
    And yet another witty rejoinder!!!

    Would you care to explain exactly how any of my statements put my foot in my mouth?

    Well, as far as I can tell, you're saying that I'm wrong (well, more accurately, that I'm not allowed to speak out in public against Lord Jobs), but haven't backed it up with any facts.
    You are being called out on several assertions that you've made that are completely groundless. (yes, you're wrong on those points). No one is saying that you can't speak out in public against anyone you want....just back up what you're saying or make it clear that you're not being factual, just opinionated. There is a clear difference in how an opinion is stated versus making a statement of fact (no matter how incorrect that statement may actually be)

    I've seen how it works, and I'm not impressed. IN MY OPINION (I'm not in The Collective, so I'm allowed one), the iPhone interface is outdated and, as I've already said, I've always thought of Apple as a creative company, so I expected something special. That's not what they delivered. Better, not special.
    Exactly correct, thank you That statement is very clearly an opinion. I don't personally have to like it but I can respect it.

    Apple tends towards 'evolutionary' changes when updating systems. They don't really move in 'revolutionary' directions.
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by treogangsta View Post
    funny thing is I use to and still do say that OSX and linux as a OS for everyday use is stupid. I'd say windows was better because it has more apps, better compatibility, more games, more accesseries, more powerful etc. So I ask myself why do I want a pre still? And the only answer I can give is the vertical hardware keyboard. I not a big software user. but there are a few apps that i need. biblereader, (free or onetime pay) gps nav software, kinoma and slingplayer. On the pre I can only get half of one. The old version of biblereader (not biblereader4) running in classic. Im starting to forget all the reasons that I wanted the pre. Palm hurry up and release the dang thing on att or my NEXus phONE will be something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    Wrong forum thread......this particular thread is dealing with multitasking. Your post is a blatant attempt at starting a flame war between MS and Apple.
    Not trying to start a flame war. I'm just on att and I have to wait the longest to get the phone. notice i never said i wanted a iphone or that i even like the iphone or apple. Cause I still want a Palm Pre Plus. Im just tired of waiting for it. Especally while newer phones meet or beat some of the things i like about the pre (like multitasking). It's still the slickest os with the best multitasking implementation.

    att release the phone already or at least give us a date
  4. #84  
    I'll say this:

    Anytime I've talked or had forum exchanges with Apple faithful, they always claimed Apple was wise to not implement multi-tasking because it was a battery and memory killer. I always pointed out that a.) as soon as Apple inevitably gave them multi-tasking, they'd act like the second coming was at hand for joy and claim Apple's implementation was superior, and b.) the Pre's battery life was already as good as, if not better, than the iphone's even with multi-tasking (just my observation of my many iphone-packing friends who never pass up an opportunity to tap an outlet, or have huge piggyback battery packs on their iphones).

    I agree that Apple's implementation may be quite adequate for many, but as predicted, I'm seeing ignorant statements in other blogs about its superiority. For example, someone pointed out how Apple's solution was so elegant because you didn't have to swipe through 20 open cards to get back to the app you needed. That's just ignorant, but it should be expected since people who make such claims probably don't know the power of webOS. If I have twenty apps open, and I'm on the 20th card and my phone dialer is on the first card, and you think I have to swipe 19 times to the left to get back to my dialer, then you just don't know how to use your Pre. It is EASY to jump back 20 cards.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by treogangsta View Post
    Not trying to start a flame war. I'm just on att and I have to wait the longest to get the phone. notice i never said i wanted a iphone or that i even like the iphone or apple. Cause I still want a Palm Pre Plus. Im just tired of waiting for it. Especally while newer phones meet or beat some of the things i like about the pre (like multitasking). It's still the slickest os with the best multitasking implementation.

    att release the phone already or at least give us a date
    You do realize that there is a free Bible reader out for the Pre with free downloadable versions of texts right? It's in the app catalogue.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You can run an unlimited number of concurrent applications in the background on iPhone OS4. The number seven comes from the amount of background services applications are able to take advantage of. Please people, get your facts straight before you start spreading "rumors".

    And that's not entirely true about only saving the state, like I mentioned above there are 7 services an application can take advantage of while being 'minimized'.

    And the last time I checked, on WebOS when you minimize the browser and then return to it the page reloads - that's worse than JUST saving it's state.
    Hey this is PreCentral here. Logic is not allowed.
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by churro View Post
    WEBOS has nothing to fear
    But PALM itself.
  8. #88  
    lets just make things clear. The iphones battery kiicks the pres batteries A.S.S anyday of the week. I dont kno what planet you guys are living on and obviously havent dealt with the iphones battery. but the iphone can go a day and then some on heavy usage and the pre can barely go 6 to 8 hours. so please if your going to defend the pre dont defend it on ridiculous statements like that. it makes you look stupid...
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by Willmays87 View Post
    lets just make things clear. The iphones battery kiicks the pres batteries A.S.S anyday of the week. I dont kno what planet you guys are living on and obviously havent dealt with the iphones battery. but the iphone can go a day and then some on heavy usage and the pre can barely go 6 to 8 hours. so please if your going to defend the pre dont defend it on ridiculous statements like that. it makes you look stupid...
    Pot calling the kettle black? Speaking of stupid....

    I haven't dealt with the iphone's battery; all I can do is comment based on what I observe. When one of my co-workers is plugging his iphone into an outlet by noon because it's out of juice, and keeps it plugged in in his car because he's always afraid of running out of battery, I hardly think HE would agree with your assertion that it can last "a day and then some." Another two friends don't need to plug in as often; they just have these piggyback battery packs that are as big as the iphone itself. Yet another co-worker solves his "stellar" iphone battery life with one of those plug-in battery-powered chargers.

    I, on the other hand, take my Pre off its Touchstone in the morning, and put it back on at bedtime. And I am on my Pre ALL the time (as my friends are on their iphones).

    But you're being too simplistic in reading what we write. I, for one, am not defending the Pre's battery life or touting it as superior. It could definitely be better, in spite of the fact it gets me through a day. But to say that the iphone's is any better is an out-and-out lie. Truth is: they're BOTH comparable (and lest you forget, the iphone's has a higher capacity to begin with), and they could BOTH be better.

    Furthermore, your simplistic claim ignores realities that you simply can't ignore. Things like (on EITHER device): battery build quality, usage, types of apps used, battery capacity, battery wear, wireless signal strength, screen brightness.... When you make a comment as naive as the one you made, I can call you out like this: play iSniper 3D on your iphone and show me how it can "go a day and then some." Pffft! Good luck making it to an hour! Just about as long as a Pre's battery would last playing Asphalt5. NEITHER would make it a full day in that instance...they BOTH suck.

    So our only defense is: the Pre's battery life is comparable to the iphone's. Don't read any more into it.

    Now, back to the topic of this thread.....
  10.    #90  
    damn! Whoever that was you made them straight. Lmfao! ;-)
  11. #91  
    Anytime I've talked or had forum exchanges with Apple faithful, they always claimed Apple was wise to not implement multi-tasking because it was a battery and memory killer. I always pointed out that a.) as soon as Apple inevitably gave them multi-tasking, they'd act like the second coming was at hand for joy and claim Apple's implementation was superior, and b.) the Pre's battery life was already as good as, if not better, than the iphone's even with multi-tasking (just my observation of my many iphone-packing friends who never pass up an opportunity to tap an outlet, or have huge piggyback battery packs on their iphones).

    Wow u dont even kno what you put. and im stupid yea right. u seem to ignore altough you said its "comparable" you also said "if not better than". so please read what you wrote. and please if you havent experienced the iphone and the pre then dont comment on what youve seen. thats how fights get started and it called stereotyping. and its ignorant. so stop being ignorant. Please and thankyou . Now i on the other hand have experienced both so i kno which one is better. I have to carry around my charger for my pre all the time WITHOUT any patches or overclocked patch. on my iphone i never did and would last at least a day. just stick to what you kno and not wat youve seen. but its ok i accept you apology...
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    You do realize that there is a free Bible reader out for the Pre with free downloadable versions of texts right? It's in the app catalogue.
    I don't have my pre yet. I'm on att. thanx for the tip though.
    it's just I invested over 400 in books for biblereader. been using it since i had my m505.
  13. #93  
    @ Willmays87, as far as multitasking, ya the iPhone can pretty much do it now. But as far as who has better battery life goes, it the Pre hands down! How can I say this? Because 60 -seconds ago I was at 14% and I am now at 100% and I am not plugged into a thing. See this is the difference once more, Palm has given us options to change anything we want.
  14. #94  
    Isn't battery life dependent on too many factors? For example: push email. If I have that on, then I can expect slightly less battery life as opposed to manual. There are too many variables when arguing about battery life. Generally, I can go a day with my Pre, always putting it on its touchstone prior to me sleeping. That way it's good to go the next day. With any smart phone, you should always count on the battery not lasting that long though.
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by Willmays87 View Post
    Anytime I've talked or had forum exchanges with Apple faithful, they always claimed Apple was wise to not implement multi-tasking because it was a battery and memory killer. I always pointed out that a.) as soon as Apple inevitably gave them multi-tasking, they'd act like the second coming was at hand for joy and claim Apple's implementation was superior, and b.) the Pre's battery life was already as good as, if not better, than the iphone's even with multi-tasking (just my observation of my many iphone-packing friends who never pass up an opportunity to tap an outlet, or have huge piggyback battery packs on their iphones).

    Wow u dont even kno what you put. and im stupid yea right. u seem to ignore altough you said its "comparable" you also said "if not better than". so please read what you wrote. and please if you havent experienced the iphone and the pre then dont comment on what youve seen. thats how fights get started and it called stereotyping. and its ignorant. so stop being ignorant. Please and thankyou . Now i on the other hand have experienced both so i kno which one is better. I have to carry around my charger for my pre all the time WITHOUT any patches or overclocked patch. on my iphone i never did and would last at least a day. just stick to what you kno and not wat youve seen. but its ok i accept you apology...
    Correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling will make your ifanboy rants easier to understand.

    I stand by what I wrote. "If not better than" leaves open the possibility that, given the right circumstances, the Pre's battery CAN last longer than the iphones. Of course, I'm not too blind to say that the opposite also applies.

    I didn't say I hadn't "experienced" the iphone's battery. I said I hadn't dealt with it. I said I have observed how my friends and co-workers deal with it, and I hate to tell you, but observation gives you experience (however anecdotal it may be, which I acknowledge). I can put a loaded gun to my head, pull the trigger, and experience the result, or I can read about or see others (macabre, I know) who have done the same and know what the result is. In either case, I can confidently assert that a person's brains will be splattered if they do such a thing.

    By definition, my comments are NOT ignorant, and my observations qualify me to comment (comments which, by the way, I think are fair and balanced).

    Now, you said "the iphone can go a day and then some on heavy usage." I'll concede that your words are vague, but I assure you:

    1. You cannot talk on your iphone for more than 6 hrs.
    2. You cannot play a 3D game on your iphone for more than about an hour.
    3. You cannot watch more than two movies (if that) on your iphone.
    4. You cannot stream pandora on your iphone for more than 10 hrs.

    without it going dead. Are any one of those "heavy" use? Maybe, maybe not. But there is NO WAY the iphone "can" go a day AND THEN SOME doing any one of them. NO WAY. The reason Apple implemented multi-tasking like they did is that they simply couldn't afford to let the iphones battery take any more of a hit than it already takes.

    This is not a fight, but people need to be very careful about what they read and how they read it. I would never make a ludicrous claim about the Pre's capabilities, but I will also not allow false claims to stand. Your claim doesn't hold water.

    Yourdogsdead understands exactly what I said, and is correct in what he said. To ignore that is ignorant.

    Oh, and when I wrote "stupid," I was using the same word you used, but I was referring to simplistic arguments about battery life, not you personally. I could have been clearer about that, and if it came across the wrong way, please accept my sincerest apology.
    Last edited by PookiePrancer; 04/11/2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Added final comment.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by Meltedwire View Post
    @ Willmays87, as far as multitasking, ya the iPhone can pretty much do it now. But as far as who has better battery life goes, it the Pre hands down! How can I say this? Because 60 -seconds ago I was at 14% and I am now at 100% and I am not plugged into a thing. See this is the difference once more, Palm has given us options to change anything we want.
    ?

    Are you implying that you swapped a battery out for a freshly charged one? I hope so, 'cause if not, I want your Pre
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    And yet another witty rejoinder!!!

    Would you care to explain exactly how any of my statements put my foot in my mouth?



    You are being called out on several assertions that you've made that are completely groundless. (yes, you're wrong on those points). No one is saying that you can't speak out in public against anyone you want....just back up what you're saying or make it clear that you're not being factual, just opinionated. There is a clear difference in how an opinion is stated versus making a statement of fact (no matter how incorrect that statement may actually be)



    Exactly correct, thank you That statement is very clearly an opinion. I don't personally have to like it but I can respect it.

    Apple tends towards 'evolutionary' changes when updating systems. They don't really move in 'revolutionary' directions.
    It's been my OPINION all along - my opinion based on the facts I have gleaned looking around. And you have no idea what facts I have, and yet you're telling me my opinion isn't based on facts, because I don't agree with your Lord Jobs that this multitasking implementation is something special. And I'm still waiting for your facts that disprove my opinion, rather than a bunch of off-topic parsing of statements. All you've got is "me and my buddy say you're wrong". Weak.

    Apple USED to do revolutionary things, that is until people stopped holding them accountable and instead now just go gaga every time The Lord walks up on stage and tells you his latest mediocre effort is magical.
    Last edited by GMoney749; 04/11/2010 at 04:03 PM.
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    ?

    Are you implying that you swapped a battery out for a freshly charged one? I hope so, 'cause if not, I want your Pre
    That's one magical battery he has there. Hell, that's one magical phone he has there
  19. #99  
    You guys don't have that patch???
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    It's been my OPINION all along - my opinion based on the facts I have gleaned looking around. And you have no idea what facts I have, and yet you're telling me my opinion isn't based on facts, because I don't agree with your Lord Jobs that this multitasking implementation is something special. And I'm still waiting for your facts that disprove my opinion, rather than a bunch of off-topic parsing of statements. All you've got is "me and my buddy say you're wrong". Weak.

    Apple USED to do revolutionary things, that is until people stopped holding them accountable and instead now just go gaga every time The Lord walks up on stage and tells you his latest mediocre effort is magical.
    Read carefully.... NOT once in all of your postings have you ever asked me to supply facts to 'disprove your opinion'.

    The first statement that I responded to was "...But, once again, they did the least they could possibly do to keep the sheep from wandering off the farm....".(and your statement is worded as a factual statement, not an opinion) I have backed up my response with a brief statement as to what Apple has implemented. From that point on every single one of your posts in this conversation has been either an insult or a poor attempt at argument through assertion.

    You appear to be completely useless when it comes to making any form of a reasoned response to a debate, instead you resort to the tactics of misdirection, assertion, and insults in an attempt to deflect the direction of the conversation. You have not answered any of my questions regarding my responses to your statements. You use snide language like 'My Lord Jobs' in an attempt to belittle myself.

    You claim that you know how the multi-tasking system operates, yet you don't come across as actually understanding it. Do you have a background in comp. sci. ? Do you understand the concepts of 'sandboxing', 'cooperative scheduling' versus 'preemptive scheduling'. Have you ever coded in anything other than a scripting language? (come to think of it, have you ever written anything?)

    Apple has created seven distinct ways for programs to move into the background. Those seven cover just about every conceivable way that a program would require in order to maintain a background process that does not either chew up system resources nor kill the battery....both of which are very important in mobile systems. The coding required to do this is neither trivial nor 'the least that they could do', those are FACTS.

    If you would like to reply, please do. Keep in mind that I will be acerbic with any comments that do not directly address the issues about multi-tasking or do not directly answer any questions posed. I'm more than willing to engage in reasoned debate.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions