Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    while I prefer the pres hands down, the iphones works for most users.. It can play music in the background, which is huge... One thing that most users won't care about by I love doing on my pre is have the flash light running in the background...
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    we can opened up to fifty cards and proved it, and they can do only seven. If i had an iphone i would have something to say about that.
    Another ***** statement. You are WRONG! Apple has implemented seven DIFFERENT ways of having an application work when put into the background.

(From barkerja) You can run an unlimited number of concurrent applications in the background on iPhone OS4. The number seven comes from the amount of background services applications are able to take advantage of. Please people, get your facts straight before you start spreading "rumors".

And that's not entirely true about only saving the state, like I mentioned above there are 7 services an application can take advantage of while being 'minimized'.

And the last time I checked, on WebOS when you minimize the browser and then return to it the page reloads - that's worse than JUST saving it's state.
    Very nicely stated barkerja. A fair number of the posters on this topic seem to be willfully blind.

(from solarus) Yes nappy I have seen it. While it may be smooth as ice it's still cluncky in it UI interface. It's hard to describe but the manner in which you access the "running apps" and the way the screen resizes when the "task bar" appears just doesn't have the usual slickness and integrated look that we have come to expect from Apple - it appears almost "bolted on" to the OS rather than being fully integrated into every aspect the OS itself.
    Uhmmm, you do realize of course that you are looking at a developer beta of the OS? That 'clunkiness' will more than likely get significantly smoother and better handling as it moves through to gold master.

(from GMoney749) But, once again, they did the least they could possibly do to keep the sheep from wandering off the farm.
    Oooh lookey here, a well researched statement (sarcasm). Apple has put together a multitasking system that will not shorten battery life, nor impair the performance of foreground task operation....that is not 'doing the least that they could do'.

And to think that I thought WebOS users were for the most part intelligent. Instead the ones posting here are proving that they are even more fanatical over their chosen god-phone than what they accuse Apple fans of being.
    Once again, I will say it: you all are missing the point, here, about what APPLE just did.

Whether it is true multi-tasking or not is NOT the issue. The real issue here is quite simple: does it satisfy thier users by providing them with the ability to do what they want and need to do, without leaving them needing more, or not?

The answer to this is likely "Yes" - call it what you will, it doesn't matter - if it works for their users, that's all that matters.

Is it a nail in WebOS's coffin? Hardly.

The elegance of WebOS is in the simplicity of its design, with power to spare, on the right hardware.

I'll say this clearly: if PALM had gotten the Pre "right" hardware-wise last year, the whole smartphone world scene would be a completely different animal right now, with WebOS as a key player, vying for top 3 spots in the preferred devices.

It is, I believe, a huge mistake to focus on the technical "correct"-ness of iPhone's new "multi-tasking" capabilities. If users are satisfied with it, that's ALL that matters.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Ahhhh...
    It's good to finally see some sensible posting on this thread.
    So what do you think of iPhone OS 4.0 only being able to run 7 apps simultaneously, dbd?

I kid, I kid.

What I don't kid about is how shocking it is to see people who are so angry at everything that isn't WebOS that they refuse to do even the most basic reading on the things they're trying to make fun of. Go team.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    So what do you think of iPhone OS 4.0 only being able to run 7 apps simultaneously, dbd?

I kid, I kid.

What I don't kid about is how shocking it is to see people who are so angry at everything that isn't WebOS that they refuse to do even the most basic reading on the things they're trying to make fun of. Go team.
    Heh heh heh...
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Well I can say that after seeing Apple's ''multi-tasking'' I can truly appreciate the Pre's functionality and ease of switching to different apps. What we saw yesterday was not revolutionary by any means, it was just enough to keep all the people satisfied with an inferior form of multi-tasking confined in a box. If you have never been able to do it before, you will think it is great. If you have used an interface like the Pre's, you will think it is taking a bunch of steps backwards in time.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    I would bet all the money i made so far this year that those Pres that have no trouble opening 50 cards are not STOCK Pres...
    .... Overclocked and tweaked to death.
    It's pretty obvious that if true multitasking is implemented, then the software will be limited to the amount of ram available unless it does some sort of virtual memory offload. Anyone can load up a gazillion apps and freeze them into flash memory or SD cards, etc. True multitasking will eat up memory for each application open because they run concurrently in real time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post

Oooh lookey here, a well researched statement (sarcasm). Apple has put together a multitasking system that will not shorten battery life, nor impair the performance of foreground task operation....that is not 'doing the least that they could do'.

And to think that I thought WebOS users were for the most part intelligent. Instead the ones posting here are proving that they are even more fanatical over their chosen god-phone than what they accuse Apple fans of being.
    Ha! You provide a near-verbatim quote of what Lord Jobs said on stage yesterday and call that "research". I can't figure out if that's ironic, epic or both. Maybe because I'm not as intelligent (did I spell that right) as you.

What they did was add an icon dock to the bottom of the screen and then held a press conference. My grandma could've wrote that code.

Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    Uhmmm, you do realize of course that you are looking at a developer beta of the OS? That 'clunkiness' will more than likely get significantly smoother and better handling as it moves through to gold master.
    It may get smoother and slicker, actually I'm sure it will get smoother and slicker, but to switch between 2 "open" apps you still have to double click home button and slide to the second app and press it to open. With WebOS you simply swipe the gesture area (assuming you have advanced gestures turned on of course) and you're at the second opened app - that's what makes iP-OS multi-tasking more "cluncky" than WebOS - IMO of course.

In the end though...to each their own. I'm not going to sit here and say Apple blows or the M-T isn't real - the WebOS and iP-OS methods are simply two different ways of accomplishing the same task. You may prefer the Apple way but I don't, I don't think there's any harm in that.
    Last edited by solarus; 04/09/2010 at 10:16 AM.
  11.    #51  
    Ahhhh...
    It's good to finally see some sensible posting on this thread.
    you think!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    you think!!!
    I wasn't talking about your posts, lol.
  13.    #53  
    I have one more thing to say,the comparison between iphone apple and palm pre/plus palm,will continue today,tomorrow and always. I'm a pre user now,tomorrow and always,regardless of what happen to palm. I'll be going down with a sinking ship if and when that ever happen. Before I have own a pre,ive never like the iphone,why? I don't like big phones,but when I saw the pre,the size and what it does.. For me was a instant attraction for me. In reality everybody is going to love one and hate the other. Big up all pre lovers out there. "LIFE MOVE FAST,DONT MISS A THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RUSH:

I have a shortage of exclamation points over here, can i borrow some?
  15.    #55  
    RUSH:

I have a shortage of exclamation points over here, can i borrow some?
    lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here try these.
    the fanboyism in this thread is off the charts
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    the fanboyism in this thread is off the charts
    +1
  18.    #58  
    one good thing about life... We have choices,either to read these threads,comment,or just keep off. What's your choice? Yea!
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Apple has given developers the necessary tools to create "background" applications, just like Palm has. There are only a few small minor differences really.
    That's a broken way to do it, as noted in the front page article.

Then again...

fork while fork; ;) (yeah, I'm a perl geek).

Or there's this, if you prefer:
    :(){ :|:& };:

(you probably don't want to type that at the shell prompt on your phone, although most modern linux distros will quench it these days ... I haven't tried on the phone yet)
    Wow, lots of fun stuff to read in this thread. I happen to love both the iPhone OS, and WebOS. Each have advantages, and disadvantages.

Side note...I added the raindrop wallpaper that was used in the demo yesterday, to the pre wallpaper forum. Here is the attachment.

Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast