1.    #1  
    I'd see a HUGE opportunity to secure the largest share of the smartphone market:

WebOS does everything "smartphone-wise" right. Period. End of story.

PALM is in trouble - needs cash to puch thier phones.

Apple can, therefore:

1. Create a strategic partnership with PALM, by infusing cash for shares. (read: tons of cash infusion, making PALM's baance sheet look REALLY strong again)

2. License WebOS GUI parts from PALM, exclusively (lostsmore money to PALM).

3. Announce the above, PALM stock skyrockets, APPLE makes their investment back on the shares they bought at lower prices, and, can, eventually merge with PALM, when PALM uses that cash to increas market share from a different form factor approach, which will encompass the majority of the smartphone market.

Thoughts?
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    See your point but...not gonna touch this with a 10 foot pole...after today you might as well ask about what people think of abortions.
    Why would Apple waste time treating Palm like a charity case when they could just buy Palm with the spare change from their cash reserves? Palm fanatics aside, there's just not that much new and different at Palm to attract Apple's attention.
  4.    #4  
    Kupe

One word says it all:

"patents".

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    i'm honestly surprised that neither google nor apple (nor HTC, yet) have snagged Palm for the patents.
    If I were Steve Jobs, I would take all my money and go back to being a hippie...
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bsoder View Post
    i'm honestly surprised that neither google nor apple (nor HTC, yet) have snagged Palm for the patents.
    They are waiting for the value to drop even further
    All seriousness, I think SOMEONE needs to buy Palm before they truly do go under. I think it's all wishful thinking for loyal customers to keep saying "Palm will make it through" forever. They are barely above water now due to mistakes made with their flagship phone, mistakes that should have been caught earlier.

BUT Apple is a bad choice IMO. Did you see what Jobs said to developers earlier? Do you want someone like that locking down webOS? Control freak has a whole new meaning with Jobs! The hardware better be decent on the 4G or I'm going to Android permanently, and I'm still tempted to go anyway. Plus there's no benefit to Apple to buy Palm. Palm isn't even a threat right now and Apple is so far ahead(for now anyway).

If anything, I'd say Motorola could merge with Palm. Look at Motoblur if you get a chance, to see why I think this may be a good idea. Nokia could benefit also, since their interface and OS keeps getting labeled obsolete(at least in the US). But they're trying out Maemo, so maybe they'll see how that'll work out first. Samsung is another good choice, but like Nokia, they have their Bada they want to try. But both of these new OSes could fail and if webOS is still around but floundering(like now), I could see it happening eventually. But please, NO APPLE!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    If i was Steve Jobs, then i would pull a Tiger Woods. Then buy Google
  10.    #10  
    Phone Diva;

I dont want Apple, or anyone to buy PALM. Honest. I'd rather them go it alone, and become successful, however, they are a publically traded company, and, their stock price is a determinant factor in who and what controls their fate. Its one of the various down sides of being a publically traded company.

Having said that, Im surprised no one caught on to the REAL implications here:

Apple has sued HTC over patent infringment issues....

PALM's patent portfolio extends back to thier first devices from the early 90's, and its extensive.. notice: APPLE never even made a rattling noise at PALM for WebOS, given all of the hoopla at CES last year when the Pre was dubbed an "iPhone killer" by the press.

What does that imply about the PALM patent portfolio, at least in APPLE's eyes????

It is my very firm belief that PALM's patent portfolio is a huge asset, and Apple knows that even trying to go after PALM for any sort of patent-infirngement could result in a countersuit that could, in fact, have the reverse effect with a counter-suit from PALM that could prove costly.

I believe they are both on equal grounds, patent-wise, which is why neither go after one another, but if push came to shove, PALM wins because they have more to gain and Apple has more to lose.

So, Apple has sued HTC over patent infringement..

And there are rumors of an HTC buyout of PALM (read the other thread for the oversees article).

The PALM patent portfolio is, I believe, therefore, a "game changer" for either of those two companies in this lawsuit, and in their quest for garnering a significant portion of the 2 billion current feature phone owners that will be upgrading to a smartphone over the next 10 years.

Then throw in WebOS; the value of the OS is that it is built on the PALM patent portfolio.

Imagine the sales potential for WebOS on an APPLE marketted phone, or, inside and running an HTC built phone - can you say "holy cow, Batman!"???.

Again, I do NOT want this.. but, logic prevails, here, and pragmatic thinking says PALM is defintely in play, especially at the current stock price, which doesnt really, IMO, reflect its patent portfolio value (something the market usually doesn't recognize unless more formal events allows them to).

STILL waiting for my unlocked GSM for US Pre+, darnit!

Last edited by LCGuy; 04/09/2010 at 04:32 AM.

HTC is a bigger threat to Apple, that's the real reason why they sued only HTC IMO. Palm they couldn't care less about right now, I believe.

HTC Sense UI for Android is taking off big time, Apple doesn't like it. Had webOS taken off better, I'm sure Palm would be in court too. Because at one time there was hint from Apple about "protecting our interests" or something like that, when the Pre's swipe feature was shown. A vague hint that they thought Palm was infringing.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  12.    #12  
    Phone Diva;

HTC isnt a threat to APPLE, its their setting of a precedent that is the issue - the message is clear: APPLE's patent portfolio is extensive and they will protect it, so they went after HTC, who is making many of the phones that the GUI's are being put on.

Sense-UI may not be as patent-strong as HTC believes.. but they have the money to put up a good fight. It will be years before this is even in court.

Unless, one of them increases their patent portfolio significantly: that's where PALM comes into play.

Regarding Job's statement last year, well, all I can say is, what else did you expect him to say?

Its what he "does" that is of significance, and you are correct about one thing: the Pre's market disappointment bode well for Jobs and Apple, no question.

I have NO doubt that PALM infringes on a few of Apple's newer patents, however, I also have NO doubt that APPLE is infriging, at the very core of their OS and UI, on PALM's, as well.

Do you really believe that Elevation Partners would have invested in a company who's IP (Intellectual Property) didnt carry untold value??

13.    #13  
    One more thing, here, important to note:

I do NOT, in any way, currently own stock in any of the aforementioned companies (which is, in hindsight, something I should't be bragging about.. sigh!)

STILL waiting for my unlocked GSM for US Pre+ !!!