Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    They've finally added multitasking. And even better, you can do VOIP multitasking. So you can be on a VOIP phone call and also surf the web, etc!! What's Palm to do?

Apple unveils iPhone OS 4.0 | Apple - CNET News
    these advances in mobile technology are normal, they will happed, they WANT to run others out of business... Palm just has to create, not reenact... They started with the simplicity of graphical multitasking, and now they need to think up something new
    iPhone 4.0 will bring many of the capabilities up to where WebOS is now, in 3 months. No notifications, Multitasking is hacky.

I bet in June they will announce back facing camera for video chat. But no, it is surprisingly meh for me. I expected more and better changes.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    This wont make the Pre fail in a sense because the iPhone could have been a moderate upgrade and still the herd will rush to be first on the line.

not alot of people other than Pre owners really know the "potential" of the webos anyway.

Off to oblivion. I may go back to winmo when it all said and done.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    its only a matter of a short time before smartphones are 4G with front facing cameras and video calling... but at that point there will be new and more strict laws against cellphones and driving
    Quote Originally Posted by giograves View Post

Off to oblivion. I may go back to winmo when it all said and done.

maybe WP7... MAAAYBE... but i'm thinking Android as my plan B
    Frankly, I think it's a great opportunity for Palm to differentiate themselves.

The Apple announcement will bring broad awareness about some of these features, and Palm can now offer a direct comparison which will by and large be favorable to WebOS.

"Here's how they do multitasking, and here's how we do it."
    I wouldn;t say it has ruined there chances one bit. This uupdate isn't due until the summer... Palm could easily announce an update with these features and more. To say palm are ruined because of this update is a bit pre-emptive

And the more you look into what the update is actually doing (HTML5 standard) then that can only help the users of webos and android...
    Yet another post that should be on the new forum:

"Palm Is Doomed" Forum
    Last edited by BobKy; 04/08/2010 at 03:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Just like Apple…don’t allow the older phones any new updates. First it was no copy/paste on 2G, now no multitasking on 3G. Apple forces consumers to buy new iPhones every other year now. Pathetic.

ringtones for SMS, (timed) profiles, UI overhaul, SMS in Universal Inbox, improved Lockscreen. Lots missing still.

I dont think Palm has to much to worry about, well, anything NEW to worry about. This iPhone does not seem all that impressive.
    I thought Iphone 4 would bring more. I was rather disappointed. I expected more. Nothing in those specs makes me want to go out and get an Iphone. I'd just rather have an itouch and be done with it.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I'm thinking the same thing. Palm can now show they do it better. Now everyone will know what it is.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    No, if anything it helped the perception webOS. Listen/read this quote, "If you see a stylus or a task manager, 'they blew it'" ~Steve Jobs

Palm gets it. They just need get their hardware up to spec* and find their footing in the market.

*Up to spec: In reference to getting it to work smoothly and seamlessly with OS and carrier, with little to no hardware issues. NOT to be the fastest and the best stuffed with the most features, that is what companies like Microsoft do to mask their poor OS.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Not really. The smart phone market is growing from people leaving their feature phones. There's an awful lot of room to grow still. I look at today's announcement more along the lines of "now all smart phones have the same basic features".

What's left to differentiate one smart phone from another are things like apps (where Palm needs to catchup - more APIs please ) and ease of use and slickness of the UI (where Palm still has a lead). If Palm can focus on what makes WebOS unique and at least gain some decent ground in the app arena they will be able to make it.
    I think it helps palm, all the apple monkeys that said multitasking isn't needed will be wanting it now. Then they will see how much it sucks and webos does it better!

Looks like apple took their multitasking right from RIM.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    Palm still has lots of appeal. Where else can you go to get first class OS with a portrait keyboard? Nowhere.

Guess we are stuck with webOS....sweet relief!
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The tech specs are irrelevant, Apple and the the big players can sink millions into the marketing budget, partnership deals etc while palm has to rely on people trying to rig internet polls.

The tech battle is rarely won by features or specs.
    I'm going to preface that I'm generally an Apple-hater...

That being said, their implementation of multitasking is pretty underwhelming, even if I wasn't Apple's way. They flat out said that during their Q&A session that you couldn't manually close an app.

Jobs: If you see a stylus or a task manager, 'they blew it' -- Engadget

Apple's a big company and they have their stuff together but it seems like they will have total control over what you can do, as expected. It appears like it's some sort of "the last 4 apps you opened" sort of way of multitasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    Just like Apple…don’t allow the older phones any new updates. First it was no copy/paste on 2G, now no multitasking on 3G. Apple forces consumers to buy new iPhones every other year now. Pathetic.
    That is an uninformed comment. The older phone models do not have the resources to 'properly' support multitasking. If they did implement it then the user experience would undoubtedly be very poor.....something that Apple doesn't like to do.
    So palm better get on the ball asap and come out with a mic API so we can get voice command dialing feature on these phones and being able to drive and voicedial!

Does iphone 4 ruin palms chances... no... apple WILL sell millions regardless what they announced today.

at this point palm is in control of their own fate.

Quote Originally Posted by itsALLsubliminal View Post
    its only a matter of a short time before smartphones are 4G with front facing cameras and video calling... but at that point there will be new and more strict laws against cellphones and driving
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast