Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Yea, they took a lot of features from everybody and mashed them in the iphone, yet they didn't put everything they should have in.
    They are waiting one year more to give the users "new and improved" features on new hardware , probably.

The big idea is that they have a huge install base, which means whatever that no matter what they do it's good for them. Now they disguised the new OS features as a huge service done to the developers. They gave people billions of new APIs . I am very curious how complex are those apis

On the other hand, if palm wants to remain competitive they really need to step up, because the gap is closing, and the normal user won't be able to judge with his own head. If Apple tells him they have multitasking, achievements or folders (wow) the user will get the Iphone, because he doesn't check further into what's really happening.
    Hi all,

From what I have read, the Iphone 4 will have watered down quasi multi tasking. This gives us an inportant leg up over the Iphone. After the Pre HAS FULL muti tasking. When the Iphone 4.0 comes out, we will most likely be a webOS 2.0 and that will give us still better FULL multitasking!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    apples multitasking is weak compared to webos. You double click while with a swipe we get our cards. Also they see icons on this"dock" while we see the actual applications. Palm just need to step up, come out with something more innovattive to compete with. Maybe allowing more apis to developers and reaching out to apple store developers to port their apps over to webos. Also getting features like voice dial and visual voicemail. Hopefully with flash, palm would attract more customers. Palm needs to get these features in and be more innovative.
  4.    #24  
    I agree it's weak, but remember that the majority of people using the phones are not going to see that. They're only going to know that they can use skype and surf at the same time.
    [QUOTE=ilovedessert;2369297]From what I have read, the Iphone 4 will have watered down quasi multi tasking. This gives us an inportant leg up over the Iphone. After the Pre HAS FULL muti tasking. When the Iphone 4.0 comes out, we will most likely be a webOS 2.0 and that will give us still better FULL multitasking![QUOTE]

Can you explain what the advantages of WebOS' "full multitasking" are over iPhone OS 4.0's implementation?
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    iPhone 3.0 ruined Palms chances.

Think about it. The iPhone OS hasn't changed much sinceits inception because they got so much of it right from the start so they had little need to do any major software updates. And that's why iOS4 is so boring. They've got the apps. They've got the hardware. They've got a good OS. So what were they missing other than copy/paste and multitasking? And now those "problems" are addressed.

Sure, multitasking is way overdue but lets be honest about this. Single tasking 20 great apps is better than multitasking 5 mediocre ones. And now that iPhone OS4 allows multitasking then the biggest obstacle in Apples path is ATT. Put the new iPhone on Sprint/Verizon and not many people would even think about the Pre.
    I think it will help people acknowledge that palm can do with Multi-tasking. However, Palm has to set itself apart with more unique WebOS because that is what make us like and take chance on palm in the first place.

It could even expand its share of market to international with Unicode fonts (more languages)support. There are market like Europe and Asia that still are at large. With more sales from those markets, palm can invest more in its WebOS and App.
    If double-clicking a home button to multitask is the only big change for their OS, color me unimpressed. I imagined much bigger changes to really set themselves apart for years to come.
    August 2009 - January 2011. Thank god I'm no longer a Pre user!

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    iPhone 3.0 ruined Palms chances.

Think about it. The iPhone OS hasn't changed much sinceits inception because they got so much of it right from the start so they had little need to do any major software updates. And that's why iOS4 is so boring. They've got the apps. They've got the hardware. They've got a good OS. So what were they missing other than copy/paste and multitasking? And now those "problems" are addressed.

Sure, multitasking is way overdue but lets be honest about this. Single tasking 20 great apps is better than multitasking 5 mediocre ones. And now that iPhone OS4 allows multitasking then the biggest obstacle in Apples path is ATT. Put the new iPhone on Sprint/Verizon and not many people would even think about the Pre.

While your point is somewhat valid, you assuming there is only room for the iPhone and Android in the marketplace. The smart phone market is quite small with most new users coming from the feature phone space. Sure iPhone and Android will be larger players, and BB will continue to be but that doesn't mean Palm don't have a place in the market. Its just gonna be a smaller place.

No one phone is killing WebOS, its the mistakes made over executing the market introduction that is hurting WebOS. With every tech site leading with iPhone this or Android that, its hard for Palm to get any traction. It reminds me of Vista - it was bad when first released but by the time patches and updates fixed the issues, MS couldn't get a word in edge-wise simply b/c the short attention span of the market had made up its mind - Vista sucked - there wasn't even time to consider whether or not patches and updates had made the OS viable or not, despite that they had.

To avoid the same fate for WebOS and indeed the company itself, Palm needs to get a new device out this year with some new APIs and such but that isn't the same as iPhone 4.0 ruining Palm's chances. I love Multi-tasking on the WebOS, I still think its better than iP-OS 4, but Multi-tasking isn't the only advantage WebOS has over the iPhone.

What will ruin Palm is if they lose focus and get distracted like we all have on the board today by paying more attention to what the competition is doing and less attention to developing WebOS further. Palm need to innovate with WebOS not build future WebOS versions off of what iPhone, Android, and BB are currently doing (minus some missing features like voice dialing of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Heclaboy82 View Post
    apples multitasking is weak compared to webos. You double click while with a swipe we get our cards. Also they see icons on this"dock" while we see the actual applications. Palm just need to step up, come out with something more innovattive to compete with. Maybe allowing more apis to developers and reaching out to apple store developers to port their apps over to webos. Also getting features like voice dial and visual voicemail. Hopefully with flash, palm would attract more customers. Palm needs to get these features in and be more innovative.
    Swiping is better than double clicking?
    Icons in the dock?

I hope Palm is going to have a better argument than that. Most iPhone users will not care about any of that. They get to continue using the device they love while adding the ability to listen to Pandora in the background.
    Everyone should watch the iPhone OS 4 event so they have a _clear_ understanding of what's being delivered. I've seen too many rumors/speculations being posted here today:

Apple - QuickTime - April 2010 Apple Special Event

Fast forward to 11 minutes, that's when the OS 4 demo begins.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I think iphone 4.0 is perhaps another nail in the coffin, but most of those nails were put there by palm itself.

my next phone will not be a palm product, and I'm a little sad about that.
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    BSODER +1

htc 4g that thing is a beast , and now iphone has so called multi tasking... Hmmmm
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Palm ruined Palm's chance.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neno23231 View Post
    BSODER +1

htc 4g that thing is a beast , and now iphone has so called multi tasking... Hmmmm
    I went with the pre even though my work will pay for an iphone, because i had faith that the pre would be far superior. I'll be switching once the new iphone hardware comes out this summer.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12