Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    now i am asimple man and i dont use all that document editing and syncing and exchange stuff. i use my pre for games music web browsing and phone calls. now i got the pre for multitasking (which it does great!) but i recently found out and my friend made sure i found out tha the iphone does multitasking too! and it does it pretty well mite i add. now im stuck between tryin to defend the pre and thinking "did i make the right choice". Now the only thing ive ever heard that the pre does better is multitasking well not the only thing but the only main thing that seperated the 2 phones, but now the iphone does it too. Now people why should anyone keep there pre's if everyhing the pre does the iphone can too? hmmm either way im gettin the EVO when it comes out. (oh and btw this is not a thread to be making a point tryin to defending any phone or say which phone is better. i jus wanna hear sum feedback on what ur guys opinions are so for the smartaS.Ses in the room STAY OUT!!)
    So it is doing TRUE multi-tasking in the background like loading a webpage that is minimized or allowing 3rd party software to run in background too?
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Cost is more important to me, you simply PAY WAY TOO MUCH to have an IPhone. Even if it goes to Verizon, you pay too much per month.

I'm on Sprint until the Value Tides turn, which they never will.

...ps i will never own a mac product anyhow...
  4.    #4  
    yea it does do true multitask. you hve to get it thru a patch
  5.    #5  
    and your right you do pay too much. att sucks anyways
    It means you jailbreak the iPhone to do it.
    My iPad can't multitask. It's great, but if it could multitask like the Pre it'd be even better, but stock it does not multitask anywhere near the Pre.
    Well, the iPhone does a nice job of saving a program's state, so that you can pretty quickly switch from one app to another and back. It can run it's own programs in the background, but not 3rd part apps (unless rooted).

What it won't do, for example, is run Pandora in the background while running a GPS program (which I do in the car all the time). Android multi-tasks as well. To me, the selling point of webOS isn't just that it multitasks, but the elegant OS that allows multitasking to be very visual and allows for elegant switching / closing.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    It is currently not as simple as a patch to get the iphone to multitask. You need to actually Jailbreak your phone first. Which most people do not do on the iphone. And which Apple will continue to fight with every update.

There are rumors that they are brining Multi-tasking to Iphone OS 4.0 though so that would elimate the need for jailbreaking for multitasking at least.
    -It's a bit more work to get a patch on the Iphone then it is the Pre. Just saying.
    WebOS does it better. Not only under the hood, but also in the presentation to the user. It's also an open platform, and Palm welcomes its homebrew community. Apple shuns theirs. Everything WebOS is, Apple isn't. I can use my phone how I want to. Iphone users can run their phones how Steve Jobs wants them to.

If you don't get that, then by all means enjoy your locked-down, proprietary, inflexible, boring i-toy-of-the-day. Enjoy connecting it to a computer and using some sort of bloated, buggy, spyware-ridden, proprietary software to update or install software on it too. I prefer my phone to stand and be usable, useful, and fun on its own, thanks.
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 04/07/2010 at 11:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willmays87 View Post
    yea it does do true multitask. you hve to get it thru a patch
    True, and it is not even a patch. You have to jail-break your iphone, which means:

* No Warranty
    * No OS updates
    * If you do an update, you have to jail-break again. If you hook up to your computer, it will see that it is now running the proper OS, and re-install the OS (through Itunes).

that is all I know about it. Don't have one, don't want one.

I am not sure what Palm's official stance is on patching, but they have been very open to the Dev Community.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Can you run something like GeoTasks or GeoStrings on an iPhone? e.g., A non-Apple third-party application that runs silently in the background while you do other things? Serious question. I don't know, but I asked two buddies of mine who own iPhones (and who are engineers) and they said no. Are they wrong?
    As i understand it through my brother, who owns the iPhone and has it jailbroken, it does multitask but not in the same smooth way the pre & pixi do. (I have a pixi) He showed me the multitasking on his and it did it, just not smoothly.

For instance, instead of closing safari to do something else it will remember what page it was on last when you reopen it - but not continue loading. You also still have to reopen the app, not just swipe across the screen and move to your OTHER open app.

Also, anytime there is an update for the iPhone, it ends up killing the jailbreak for the previous OS version, and another jailbreak has to be written before the jailbreakers update...I just typed jailbreak WAY too much, LOL.
    As i understand it through my brother, who owns the iPhone and has it jailbroken, it does multitask but not in the same smooth way the pre & pixi do. (I have a pixi) He showed me the multitasking on his and it did it, just not smoothly.

For instance, instead of closing safari to do something else it will remember what page it was on last when you reopen it - but not continue loading. You also still have to reopen the app, not just swipe across the screen and move to your OTHER open app.

Also, anytime there is an update for the iPhone, it ends up killing the jailbreak for the previous OS version, and another jailbreak has to be written before the jailbreakers update...I just typed jailbreak WAY too much, LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    It is currently not as simple as a patch to get the iphone to multitask. You need to actually Jailbreak your phone first. Which most people do not do on the iphone. And which Apple will continue to fight with every update.

There are rumors that they are brining Multi-tasking to Iphone OS 4.0 though so that would elimate the need for jailbreaking for multitasking at least.
    I hear that a lot. In fact when I show an iPhone owner a cool patch I added to the Pre they say" you jailbroke your phone?", "what about your warranty"? I just smile and say "I have a personal agreement with Palm". lol
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  17.    #17  
    hey if you can get it to work on the iphone who cares how much work is involved. but like i said before im goin with te EVO when it comes out. looks like a good fone and looks like it will meet my needs as a user
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Lets be for real, you pay a ton of money for the iphone, the service is real bad, and to add features to the phone cost a lot. I wonder what verizon will charge for the phone? if its 500.00 are you guys looking at that figure 500.00 dollars for a cell phone. iphone users plug yourself out of the matrix and step away from the light :-) I can afford it but I know way better than to spend 500.00 dollars on a cell phone :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Willmays87 View Post
    hey if you can get it to work on the iphone who cares how much work is involved. but like i said before im goin with te EVO when it comes out. looks like a good fone and looks like it will meet my needs as a user
    Have fun!! Looks like a great device...

As for me I am going to wait it out for the mysterious C40, or whatever comes next. You know it has to meet or exceed current phones on the market at time of release.

Phones are like any tech product, the minute you walk out of the store it is outdated, something new will always be on the horizon.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    let's not forget notifications, that's a part of multitasking too. Willmays87, have your friend load up a game to play, text him while he is playing, and for the sake of the argument, pretend its an important text, i don't believe he can pause the game on his iphone and go to the text message. So if you use gaming on the pre, you have the right device.
Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast