Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Apple just announced that they're fragmenting their OS:
    Not really a surprise there, they've had a history of making the newer features only possible on newer devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Palm still has a more open & customizable OS...
    i am really doubting this more as time goes... if it was then you would have a mic api... you would have gpu access... you wouldnt have so many issues like too many cards open and etc.

i am really thinking that they were thinking they could do everything high level and apps use ajax and javascript and they would be ok. i dont think they had any idea where smartphones were going and their ability to scale.
    Quote Originally Posted by tedknaz View Post
    Look, Palm needs to better foster the app ecosystem. If that means copy iPhone's SDK and throw money at the problem then so be it. Palm also needs to come out with new hardware. Significant hardware refreshes need to come no less than 18 months apart, and they better be hot. This iPhone announcement just made me sour on Palm's future...
    Now, I agree that Palm needs to do something. But two points:

1. Palm has the best app development ecosystem going. Easy development for the largest group of developers (Web developers) with Mojo/Ares. Then, they've already done precisely what you suggest with the PDK, which pretty much allows almost straight ports of iPhone apps.

2. If Palm announces a new device in June, that'll be 12 months since the last gen was released, and 18 months since the last gen was announced. Not sure how this relates to your suggested timetable.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic

No they are not. When 4.0 gets released, every device will still be running the same OS. Just some devices cant run all the features of that OS. Not fragmentation at all. Got to think your complaints through first.
    One advantage Palm still has is synergy. Apple didn't state anything about the cloud, so everything is still synced via cables. That's a pretty big advantage. But, yeah, that's about it.
    Apple gets multitasking and multiple exchange accounts and now Palm is dead? Palm has been very silent lately and with Apple's announcement, Microsoft next week, and the HTC EVO from a couple weeks ago, I think they now have an idea of what to bring to WebOS 2.0. I can't imagine them not trying that on some new hardware. They need to go after RIM and especially Android though. There is no point in going after Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Palm still has a better implementation of multi-tasking...
    Palm still has a more open & customizable OS...
    Palm still has synergy...
    Palm still has better notifications...

Unless Palm fail to open up more APIs and build a new piece of hardware I fail to see how Apple's announcement hurts Palm. The iPhone true advantage still remains - a huge core of developers. The fact that it now has a pretty terrible implementation of multi-tasking doesn't change that.

Palm just need to focus on getting us a new piece of hardware and opening up APIs in the OS, like they always had to do.
    What people here aren't getting is that they don't HAVE to be objectively superior to Palm feature-for-feature. As long as they have some semblance of multitasking, it will dissuade a LOT of iPhone users who might have otherwise thought of jumping ship. And it will most certainly dissuade new people who hadn't yet decided on either.

And since Palm refuses to let anybody know in their ads how elegant their implementation of multitasking actually IS, people need only know that Apple has it "too" to cross that off their list of possible advantages of WebOS.

It's a big, big, big deal to both Android and WebOS.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Apple is adding what it needed to add to CATCH UP!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Second that one. It is bordering ridiculous that they haven't given access yet.
    It's not just ridiculous that Palm hasn't given mic access in the SDK, it's downright a fricking mystery. More than anything else, I just don't get this one, and audio recording is hands-down the thing I miss the most in webOS.

That, and no Docs to Go--another mystery.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskooler81 View Post
    Apple FacePalmed

Need a new phone for multitasking
    no 3g or iPod 2g
    Can't carry old hardware forever.

Why can't I run WebOS on my Treo? Damn you Palm!
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Considering the iPhone 3G will be two years old....lol.

You think all the latest WebOS features will work on your Sprint Palm Pre in summer 2011 (assuming Palm lives that long)?
    So far i see nothing but opportunity for palm to announce a new bad *** phone and blow apples crappy announcement away. WOW iphone 3gs gets multitasking and more ads! lol. One thing that you shouldn't even want.

Now palm needs to come out and say we did it first, we do it better, and we do it cheaper.... and one more thing heres our new palm phone with the best spec's yet. Available in 2months on verizon, at&t and sprint 4g. tethering is free for all! This will = win for palm. It doesnt have to outsell the iphone just has to sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by rfceo View Post
    Apple is adding what it needed to add to CATCH UP!!
    Unfortunately, Apple has drugged millions of people into believing that they're actually exceeding what other platforms have been doing for months or years. That's what's really "magical" about Apple...
    Precentral needs bunch of tags and articles on their front page that refer to what Apple is getting and what WebOS already has. That way when people are doing Google searches for info on Apples new update they will be directed to Precentral. Then they will see articles on how Webos operates.
    I think the gaming network can be quite big. Kind of like an apple xbox live.
    that and the reality is that the older hardware is going to have a hard time with it... basically making the os painful. I still have my 1st for my daughter to use an a touch with the latest os and it is PAINFULLY slow. PAINFULLY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Not really a surprise there, they've had a history of making the newer features only possible on newer devices.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy96 View Post
    in apple multitasking, how does one close out of an app that is open? exactly, apple sucks.
    Does it actually matter to most users? The iphone now has multitasking, Palm can scratch out this advantage. They (Palm) need to come out with 2.0 of WebOS very, very soon.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i am really doubting this more as time goes... if it was then you would have a mic api... you would have gpu access... you wouldnt have so many issues like too many cards open and etc.

i am really thinking that they were thinking they could do everything high level and apps use ajax and javascript and they would be ok. i dont think they had any idea where smartphones were going and their ability to scale.
    Probably another case of me needing to be more specific. I'm not referring to APIs - I would agree with you re: APIs - Palm needs to open up a lot more APIs ASAP. To me that is Palm's biggest disadvantage - not having the large number of APIs available to developers is pretty much canceling out the benefits of having apps written in web languages.

What I meant was more along the lines of the openess of Palm with their OS - allowing developers to create homebrew apps, even advocating the development of new unofficial apps and features.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    The problem right now with Palm is that they refuse to look at the competition. They're taking their time based on their schedule. This is fine, if they came out with the pre last 2007 ! They need to fast track everything. Speed is of the essence.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Jobs is showing off true multi-tasking for the iPhone.

Apple iPhone to soon get long-sought multitasking - Yahoo! Finance

So much for Palm having that competitive advantage....
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast