Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Palm just died a little bit today. The major Pre advantage is no more.
    That's not necessarily true. What we have is the (mindshare) industry leader validating the importance of multitasking, a core webOS strength. It probably hurts Android and Blackberry more than Palm, because 1) Palm is hardly competing against Apple at this point, and 2) webOS does multitasking visibly more elegantly than anyone else, including the iPhone.

Seriously, we should keep in mind that Palm is in a completely different league than Apple, and Apple didn't introduce multitasking to compete against Palm. They introduced it to compete against Android. While I think relatively few people have chosen a webOS device over an iPhone, I'll bet quite a few have chosen an Android device over an iPhone.

Oh, and this also hits Microsoft pretty hard. Windows Phone 7 is dead in the water if it doesn't have multitasking, and Microsoft will be absolutely foolish to introduce it the way they've been saying so far.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Where on earth are you guys getting the idea that if you don't see live windows, it's not multitasking?

When you're on a Windows machine do you jump out to desktop view EVERY TIME you switch to an app, or do you use the icons w/ titles at the bottom of the Start bar?

Please. Guys, I know it's instinctive to not like the competition, but this is just silly.
    They don't appear to have made notifications unintrusive though:

That said, I agree with mobileman, who said that Palm just died a little bit today.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    AHHHHHHHHH I HATE APPLE AND THERE DAMN IPHONE. I can already see everyone going nuts over there new OS and blah iphone this and blah apple that. I'm so mad right now I want to smash my old ipod from like 6 years ago thats a piece of ****. I think I need to call some kind of hotline I'm seriously freaking out.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    I'm actually cautiously optimistic. Say what you will about apple, but their products perform in a very solid way. Nothing's ever really an afterthought for them. Judging by the Demo it looks promising. I like the background audio functionality. Granted this is still all vaporware until we see it running on an actual iphone.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I've got no problem with Apple announcing multitasking, it was pretty much expected.

The issue is their saying that they're "going to be the best," when they do exactly what Android does: hold a button and see recently used applications.
    They are probably talking about the method in which multitasking exists. And from an engineering point of view, its pretty clever.

Don't know if anyone saw the Pandora multitask demo, but in short, when you switch out of the app, the only process that remains is the process that streams the audio to your headset/speaker. This makes sense, because you don't need any other UI/extra process if you can't see the application. That process is actually part of the iPhone SDK (and maintained by Apple) so its probably been (or is currently) optimized for minimal battery usage and processor usage.

In all other platforms(BlackBerry, WebOS, WinMo, Android) the entire application (UI + logic, some not needed) remains in the background.
    Also:

Uh, multitasking is good and all, but the single biggest thing that everyone I know with an iPhone complains about (besides AT&T) is the notification system, which appears to be the same old pop-over notification that gives you 20 different messages on top of each other.

Edit: I was beaten to it, so I removed the image.
    i guess the best in that with the new APIs that multitasking is not going to be at the cost of battery or performance.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I've got no problem with Apple announcing multitasking, it was pretty much expected.

The issue is their saying that they're "going to be the best," (implying that there's something even slightly new about their method) when they do exactly what Android does: hold a button and see recently used applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    While not live, I find the static image of the last shot of what I was working in to be more recognizable than an icon.
    An icon that says eBay is less recognizable than a minimized page of listings?

Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Just announced....let's where this goes...
    Opening Pandora's box, have you no mercy?

Begun the flame wars have.
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    They don't appear to have made notifications unintrusive though:

That said, I agree with mobileman, who said that Palm just died a little bit today.
    Yeah, but I have to agree with those who say that without unobtrusive notifications, the multitasking efficiency and appeal is reduced.

One step forward, one step back, Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    That's not necessarily true. What we have is the (mindshare) industry leader validating the importance of multitasking, a core webOS strength. It probably hurts Android and Blackberry more than Palm, because 1) Palm is hardly competing against Apple at this point, and 2) webOS does multitasking visibly more elegantly than anyone else, including the iPhone.

Seriously, we should keep in mind that Palm is in a completely different league than Apple, and Apple didn't introduce multitasking to compete against Palm. They introduced it to compete against Android. While I think relatively few people have chosen a webOS device over an iPhone, I'll bet quite a few have chosen an Android device over an iPhone.

Oh, and this also hits Microsoft pretty hard. Windows Phone 7 is dead in the water if it doesn't have multitasking, and Microsoft will be absolutely foolish to introduce it the way they've been saying so far.
    I disagree. Most people think Palms biggest (only) advantage is multitasking. Whether you like the new system or not, Palms advantage is no more.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Its all over.. Multitasking was the obvious ace that Palm had
    I'm not as mad at apple then the zombie's that listen to only what apple says. So out of the 90 million iphone/itouch owners I will guess that 80 million will think this is the most high tech OS and device to date.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Hey, they get "local notifications" now. Oooh. And at the same time, PreCentral is complaining on the front page for a lack of push notifications.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    wow... remember... these are just phones man. chill. the most important thing for anyone is that you find the phone you like and enjoy it. stop hating. i love new tech whereever it's from... just enjoy the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Joescan09 View Post
    AHHHHHHHHH I HATE APPLE AND THERE DAMN IPHONE. I can already see everyone going nuts over there new OS and blah iphone this and blah apple that. I'm so mad right now I want to smash my old ipod from like 6 years ago thats a piece of ****. I think I need to call some kind of hotline I'm seriously freaking out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joescan09 View Post
    Of course people are going to be really excited that the most popular smartphone is getting an amazing new feature. Yes, it's not nearly as nice as WebOS, but it's still a great feature... I hate Apple, but this is big news.
    relatively speaking this announcement doesnt really change things... palm will continue to move forward combining the best of enterprise and the best of consumer products into one... apple is actually playing catch up at an os level... The market has not responded negatively to this info bc its already baked in.. in a way its good news they didnt make any major "new" or "unexpected" announcement.. this is relatively minor in a stock sense. apple no longer is surprising anyone...
    Folders? This presentation should just be titled "SCREW YOU DROOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDD!!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Where on earth are you guys getting the idea that if you don't see live windows, it's not multitasking?

When you're on a Windows machine do you jump out to desktop view EVERY TIME you switch to an app, or do you use the icons w/ titles at the bottom of the Start bar?

Please. Guys, I know it's instinctive to not like the competition, but this is just silly.
    I didn't read that in any of the posts yet, but perhaps I missed something. Which is cool. Personally, I prefer to have live windows running because they can give me instant and simultaneous info. For example, I can have my email app and weather app running, and from the slivers can see if I have any new messages (and in what accounts) and what the current temp is. I don't have to pop out to a dock, then select the app, see what I want, and then pop back to the dock and select my next app.

I've attached an example. In this one, I can see that I have appointments around this time, I can see my email status, and I can see that it's a lovely 75 deg. outside. I love this aspect of webOS.

This is actually more like what I have on my PC, when I arrange my windows to show more than one app at a time. Windows 7 does that very nicely with its snap-to feature.

So you see, one can say that webOS is superior to what Apple's doing, and have some reasoning behind it.

Incidentally, what Apple is doing also doesn't seem like "simple" multitasking. It seems like they're allowing certain services (e.g., streaming audio) to run in the background, not an "entire" application. While this might be entirely sufficient and also efficient, I'm not sure it's the same thing as webOS does.

If Palm survives to make a next-gen device with a faster processor and much more RAM, and to implement the GPU in the GUI, then I think we'll find their implementation of multitasking to be vastly superior. In fact, I think just utilizing the GPU more--which would support every current webOS device--would make the biggest different. Outside of 3D games, which isn't relevant to multitasking, webOS is fine in terms of memory; it's just the UI lag that is so visibly slow at this point.
    Last edited by wynand32; 04/08/2010 at 12:55 PM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast