Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy96 View Post
    let's not forget notifications, that's a part of multitasking too. Willmays87, have your friend load up a game to play, text him while he is playing, and for the sake of the argument, pretend its an important text, i don't believe he can pause the game on his iphone and go to the text message. So if you use gaming on the pre, you have the right device.
    They have notifications, a little red number pops up saying how many you have. Whenever you get around to seeing it.

LAME!!

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  2.    #22  
    actually daisy96 thats exactly what he did on his iphone lol. i was cuttin his hair and he was playin a game on the iphone and switching between lol. i was like "the iphone cant multitask!" and he laughed and made fun of me lol. and yes butters3605 it looks like a vey good device. i always check up on it to see whats goin on. the hook line and sinker for me is to c how well the battery does. thats a major downside for my pre. evrythin else looks great on the evo jus have to c whatsup with the battery
    yea my brothers iphone is like no other iphone i've ever seen. with it jailbroken you can customize damn near everything in it he even have the deck of cards thing the pre does (i called him a hater for talking smack about the pre then getting that lol) but all in all i just dont like the phone personally. all i do with the pre i do OUT OF THE BOX and like i told him i've been spoiled. his iphone ran faster than my pre until... YUP! the 800mhz patch/kernal so im happy with my pre and he's happy with his iphone. and like blizzard said i will never get a mac/apple product ever! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    My iPad can't multitask. It's great, but if it could multitask like the Pre it'd be even better, but stock it does not multitask anywhere near the Pre.
    Does your iPad give you maximum absorbency?
    <<<< WebOS Represent >>>>
    actually my bro told me they jailbroke the ipad..... idk if its 100% true tho
    Quote Originally Posted by Willmays87 View Post
    now i am asimple man and i dont use all that document editing and syncing and exchange stuff. i use my pre for games music web browsing and phone calls. now i got the pre for multitasking (which it does great!) but i recently found out and my friend made sure i found out tha the iphone does multitasking too! and it does it pretty well mite i add. now im stuck between tryin to defend the pre and thinking "did i make the right choice". Now the only thing ive ever heard that the pre does better is multitasking well not the only thing but the only main thing that seperated the 2 phones, but now the iphone does it too. Now people why should anyone keep there pre's if everyhing the pre does the iphone can too? hmmm either way im gettin the EVO when it comes out. (oh and btw this is not a thread to be making a point tryin to defending any phone or say which phone is better. i jus wanna hear sum feedback on what ur guys opinions are so for the smartaS.Ses in the room STAY OUT!!)
    It only multi-tasks among a limited set of Apples apps. You can surf and talk because both Safari and iTunes are part of the basic Apple software (and because it is a GSM network). It wouldn't work if you tried it with Rhapsody or Pandora.

Then have him open 3 or 4 instances of the browser, and have them all load different websites in the background while he uses a non-apple application.

Then, explain to him about how poor AT&T's 3G coverage is (there's a map for that) and take him for a drive while he is streaming high-quality youtube videos.

And, next time your iPhone friend is playing need-for-speed, send him a txt message. After he swears and re-starts the game, call him. Be sure to use the speedy camera phone on your Pre to capture the look on his face as he lunges at you.

Then show him this video. It demonstrates that the value isn't "multitasking" its how that is implemented and why id is of value...

palmSpot Entry: “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More” by Adam Marks | webOSroundup
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 04/07/2010 at 12:19 PM.
    actually daisy96 thats exactly what he did on his iphone lol. i was cuttin his hair and he was playin a game on the iphone and switching between lol. i was like "the iphone cant multitask!" and he laughed and made fun of me lol. and yes butters3605 it looks like a vey good device. i always check up on it to see whats goin on. the hook line and sinker for me is to c how well the battery does. thats a major downside for my pre. evrythin else looks great on the evo jus have to c whatsup with the battery
    FYI, the iPhone battery isn't any better than the Pre. And you can't swap it out for another one you've been charging on the side.

Don't get me wrong, I probably would have an iPhone if Verizon sold them - just because of the amount of 3rd party accessories and apps.

But, I am truly satisfied with my Pre+, and I am very impressed with WebOS and what the home brew community has done.
    Guys, anyone can come up with usecases/scenarios in which one device excels over the other. For certain users and what they need, the iPhone is objectively a far superior device.

Visual multitasking and unobtrusive notifications are not the be-all, end-all to everybody. They just aren't. WebOS is a lot better FOR ME, but not for everybody or even the majority of people out there.

Perspective, peeps....
    I look at the ton of apps on my Pre every day and realize how much I would have had to pay for them if this was an iPhone. Makes me smile.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Guys, anyone can come up with usecases/scenarios in which one device excels over the other. For certain users and what they need, the iPhone is objectively a far superior device.

Visual multitasking and unobtrusive notifications are not the be-all, end-all to everybody. They just aren't. WebOS is a lot better FOR ME, but not for everybody or even the majority of people out there.

Perspective, peeps....
    I do agree with you as far as to each their own, I had an iPhone before my current Pre. To answer your question though.
    a) I think synergy is a big plus for WebOS.
    b) Despite its flaws I prefer the Calendar app on the Pre to the iPhone.
    c) As an actual phone (i.e. call quality) I think the Pre is better than the iPhone, although I do prefer the iPhone's phone app over the WebOS one.
    d) Last but not least - I prefer Universal search on WebOS than iPhone OS.

At the end of the day IMO the Pre is better except for the shear volume of apps the iPhone has. But since I'm not really an app guy (I only need the basics - banking, FB, news etc...) there's nothing that gets me wanting an iPhone over a Pre.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    d) Last but not least - I prefer Universal search on WebOS than iPhone OS.
    Do you mean that the other way around? I think the iPhone's universal search is a TRUE universal search. (webos' is definitely not)
  12.    #32  
    overall the pre is a good fone but i dont think wth its current harware it can be the best. too many bugs and they only seem to be gettin worse with every update. now ive been with the pre since it first released and all i ever see on theforums is whas wrong with the pre or that there phone is crashin n what not. Now i understand that alot of phones have had bugs there first cuple of years but that was then and this is now. Mojority of people do not want to have to wait to get bugs out of there phne. its all about NOW NOW NOW
  13.    #33  
    I cant even install the 800 patch becz it made my fone so bad wen i did so i dont get to experience a fast fone. and the battery..well i think u kno about the battery. and the iphone battery is FARRR superior to the pres. it dosnt have to swap batteries out becuz they dont need to.
    There are honestly a lot more things than multi-tasking that separate the Pre from the iPhone. There is Synergy, a hardware keyboard, and the ability to migrate data from previous Palm devices, just to name a few. I find multi-tasking useful but it wasn't the deal maker for me either. I'm locked into Verizon for the log haul because of family contracts. I looked at the Storm, Droid and Pre Plus before buying. Synergy was the deal maker for me, since I've always wanted to have mobile access to multiple email accounts, but didn't want to have to merge my work and personal calendars.

Au revoir,

Bill

now i am asimple man and i dont use all that document editing and syncing and exchange stuff. i use my pre for games music web browsing and phone calls. now i got the pre for multitasking (which it does great!) but i recently found out and my friend made sure i found out tha the iphone does multitasking too! and it does it pretty well mite i add. now im stuck between tryin to defend the pre and thinking "did i make the right choice". Now the only thing ive ever heard that the pre does better is multitasking well not the only thing but the only main thing that seperated the 2 phones, but now the iphone does it too. Now people why should anyone keep there pre's if everyhing the pre does the iphone can too? hmmm either way im gettin the EVO when it comes out. (oh and btw this is not a thread to be making a point tryin to defending any phone or say which phone is better. i jus wanna hear sum feedback on what ur guys opinions are so for the smartaS.Ses in the room STAY OUT!!)
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    the difference is that apple is fighting your multi-tasking patch while palm is embracing the home brew community.
    I can't believe how many here try and give suggetions and help people that post these threads. He has a comeback for every suggestion, and insists the iPhone, evo, or whatever is better and what he wants.

If multitasking is the only thing you find superior about the Pre and you think others can do it to your liking, then go get what you want and stop wasting our time!

-The smartaS.S in the room
    I cant even install the 800 patch becz it made my fone so bad wen i did so i dont get to experience a fast fone. and the battery..well i think u kno about the battery. and the iphone battery is FARRR superior to the pres. it dosnt have to swap batteries out becuz they dont need to.
    That's why all my iPhone friends pick restaurants and coffee shops based on where they know they can sit next to a power outlet.

And that's why they carry their charger everywhere, and why most of them have a case with a second battery...

The iPhone on 3G network has MUCH worse battery life than my Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

Perspective, peeps....
    You are correct. However, the iPhone owners I know bought them because they are cool, and bought them when there weren't any alternatives to compare. As far as they know, there still isn't anything that does what their iPhone does. That's why we show our WebOS phones to every iPhone owner that we see.

If they see everyday tasks done easier than they can, or they see capabilities they wish they could have, then they have more information to make decisions with.

The Pre wins on doing amazing stuff without being a contortionist. It will win on posting a video or picture, snapping pics in low light, supporting an industry-standard connector, wireless charging, and being easy to mod.

The iPhone wins for on-line banking, listening to I-Heart-Radio, and working with iTunes.

Perspective is important, but so is information. It's fun to watch iPhone users come to the realization that there are options out their that might actually be just as cool, and maybe more enjoyable.
    When you guys talk about warranties, you do realize that restoring a jailbroken iPhone to its original, virgin state is as simple as clicking the restore button in iTunes, yes?

As for text notifications, there is a "patch" that gives you an SMS overlay that enables you to read and respond to text messages without having to leave the active application.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Do you mean that the other way around? I think the iPhone's universal search is a TRUE universal search. (webos' is definitely not)
    I probably should have written it better but its more about the use of universal search - I'm not a fan of having to slide over to the universal search page on the iPhone, despite its better drilling down into emails, calenders etc...

But yes I get what you mean and would have to agree as far as functionality goes - the iPhone Uni-Search is more functional.

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    When you guys talk about warranties, you do realize that restoring a jailbroken iPhone to its original, virgin state is as simple as clicking the restore button in iTunes, yes?

As for text notifications, there is a "patch" that gives you an SMS overlay that enables you to read and respond to text messages without having to leave the active application.
    Jailbreaking is the only way to go if you have an iPhone - the jailbreaking community for the iPhone is truly amazing. My problem was that although restoring was simple enough, I was an impatient bast**d when it came to getting the jailbreak back after a new release

That frustration with Apple and their locking down philosophy, more than anything else, was the impetus for me to look elsewhere - when I did I found a better OS in WebOS - at least in my opinion.
    Last edited by solarus; 04/07/2010 at 03:57 PM.
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast