Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sjholland87 View Post
    There's a limit of 7 apps...
    Just 1 more than Android. They just had to top Android
    Quote Originally Posted by Willmays87 View Post
    yea it does do true multitask. you hve to get it thru a patch
    there is a thread on engadget explaining how multitasking is done on the new iphone.
    There is no 7 app limit. There are 7 different services that applications can use to go into the background. I repeat, there is no 7 app limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    Just 1 more than Android. They just had to top Android
    No, there's no limit on how many applications are concurrently running, there are 7 background services that an application is allowed to take advantage of. Please stop spreading rumors and get your facts straight.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Engadget has a hands on video
    iPhone OS 4 hands-on (updated with video!) -- Engadget
    it answers a lot of your questions. It does run apps in the background. He was showing other apps while safari was loading a webpage in the background, you can close apps by holding the icon and pressing the minus key, and this thing is smooth and fast! I can only imagine how it will run on the new iPhone hardware.
    I know there are a lot of apple haters here but Apple has really done a great job here.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Again, this is entirely speculation, but I'm guessing that the fast app switching is most likely for gaming purposes, when a save state can't be made immediately upon closing the app but instead will require some longer processing, so that would continue in the background to do the saving, and then would just reload from that state when you open the game again.
    I'm probably starting to sound like a **** at this point but games can save their state upon termination as well. I have a bunch of games on my iPhone that do just that.

I suspect your scenario (a game not instantly terminating but, rather, continue to run in the background until its caches are flushed and the data is written) is exactly how this system will be implemented. That's why I find this method so elegant. Something like that makes a lot more sense to me than leaving the entire application running in the background when I could probably use the cpu cycles for whatever I''m doing in the foreground.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I'm probably starting to sound like a **** at this point but games can save their state upon termination as well. I have a bunch of games on my iPhone that do just that.

I suspect your scenario (a game not instantly terminating but, rather, continue to run in the background until its caches are flushed and the data is written) is exactly how this system will be implemented. That's why I find this method so elegant. Something like that makes a lot more sense to me than leaving the entire application running in the background when I could probably use the cpu cycles for whatever I''m doing in the foreground.
    But then when you reload the app and it brings you back to it, it still takes the 30 seconds or whatever to load the textures and everything was my main point of that.

But really, the only thing that seems obvious to me at this point is that we won't have much of an idea until some apps take advantage of it.

It's an interesting way to do it, I just still prefer the webOS method to this.
    Check out the Iphone OS 4.0 multitasking: iPhone OS 4.0 Multitasking First Video - Iphone 4 - Gizmodo
    But then when you reload the app and it brings you back to it, it still takes the 30 seconds or whatever to load the textures and everything was my main point of that.
    Oh, that would absolutely blow. But I'm assuming what Scott Forstall meant by preserving apps in ďa quiescent state in the background" is some sort of Android bundle-esque method of keeping the process in the background until the system absolutely requires the resources. Kind of like Han Solo in the carbonite.

That would explain why multitasking will be disabled on devices with less than 256M.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Doggone that Apple.. they forgot to allow you to close an app!!

They need you... STAT!
    Watch the engadget hands on with the 4.0. You can close the app by holding it and tap the minus sign.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    OK, Internet, you won that one. Man it's easy to get aggro over stupid stuff.

So, Palm, in the wake of this news what can you do to keep your customers?
    Get more Apps (and expand devs access to the device's hardware).
    Improve UI performance.

Everything else, game social networks ads and whatnot, are not enough to pull me away from the phone side of things. I really want to get an iPad/iPod touch though, and that's the beauty of it. If Palm can make WebOS devices hit 80% of the iPhone's capability (read: APPS and UI) then I'll just grab an iPad/iPod touch and call it a day, and tether off of the Pre while I'm at it.

Also, it's pretty telling that an old iPhone without cell service at all is still a compelling device. How many of you would use a Pre without any sort of cell service? If I had an old iPhone I would use it as a media player and app device. An old Pre would probably sit on my desk for the occasional twitter check, but more likely sit in the drawer. Palm, if you can change that, you will have kept me as a customer.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Oh, that would absolutely blow. But I'm assuming what Scott Forstall meant by preserving apps in ďa quiescent state in the background" is some sort of Android bundle-esque method of keeping the process in the background until the system absolutely requires the resources. Kind of like Han Solo in the carbonite.

That would explain why multitasking will be disabled on devices with less than 256M.
    Yeah, that's definitely possible. I can't say either way for sure because if it's just a guess.

But, if that's the case, is it really better than the webOS method? Instead of getting the "too many cards" and then being able to decide if you really want to open that new app, or if you would rather keep your existing apps open, Apple would just forceably release the memory (of course, only when it needs it) and then when you try to go back, you'd have to go through the loading times again?

I don't know, but I feel like I've done way too much speculating on the matter without knowing the facts, so maybe it will be as good as they say. I remain completely unconvinced. As of right now, it remains in my opinion nearly to how it was in Garnet, which again felt limiting after a few years when the competition was way past that. Maybe that won't be the case with the iPhone, we'll have to see.

Either way, it's not the multitasking that's the main feature that keeps me with webOS anyway. I mean, yes, that's definitely an advantage it has, but not the sole one. While it may slow the adoption of webOS, just that isn't good enough for me to switch, it's the overall package (Synergy, the multitasking, the notifications, etc.)

Not to be a broken record, but my suspicion is that it'll be good enough for a while for the iPhone, but they'll need to revisit their method a few years down the road. Palm (if they manage to stay around that long) already has a method that'll continue to work, and as the hardware becomes more powerful, their method becomes more powerful.
    But, if that's the case, is it really better than the webOS method? Instead of getting the "too many cards" and then being able to decide if you really want to open that new app, or if you would rather keep your existing apps open, Apple would just forceably release the memory (of course, only when it needs it) and then when you try to go back, you'd have to go through the loading times again?
    I think so. We're not typically switching focus away from a game with the intention of leaving it in the background for longer than it takes us to do whatever we're doing, right? I can't think of many scenarios where I'd have a game in the background long enough to where the process gets killed (assuming that's what would happen, of course).

FWIW, I'm watching the presentation now and Steve Jobs does a quick demo switching between Mail, Safari and eBay, then switching to a paused game of Tap Tap Revenge 3 without any load time whatsoever.
    Last edited by nappy; 04/08/2010 at 07:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    LOL how is palm taking their time? We've had an update every month since release. I'd say thats hauling ***. Palm just said that they are using most of their resources towards a new device. Im sure its because they know what they need to do and are doing it. Palm will release a great device with the 2.0 software I bet. I wouldnt be surprised if its 4g and announced soon now that they dont see anything amazing in apples software playbook.
    When I mentioned that they are taking they're time, it seems to me that they are ignoring the competition and just release incremental updates which adds a couple of features at a time. For me, I expect them to have 2.0 software by now. But instead we got 1.4 (its okay, but I was expecting a bit more features, like support for BT keyboards, major speed bump, more APIs for devs and whole lot more) with no real idea on when they will release 2.0. If Palm want's to play by Apple's playbook, they need to do a LOT more than that.
    Everyone should watch the iPhone OS 4 event so they have a _clear_ understanding of what's being delivered. I've seen too many rumors/speculations being posted here today:

Apple - QuickTime - April 2010 Apple Special Event

Fast forward to 11 minutes, that's when the OS 4 demo begins.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    This article pretty much sums my attitude about Apple and its announcement today...

How Important Are Apple's Updates to the iPhone and iPad? Very. - Techtonic Shifts Blog - Newsweek.com
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    We need a side by side comparison of the Pre Plus and the IPhone 3GS multitasking. Maybe try clocking it to the same speed as well and see how that fares.

And go viral with that...
    regarding multitasking: i earlier said i wasn't impressed by just that as an annoucnement.

i saw a long hands on video showing iphone multitaking. my verdict is this. it's not as elegant as webos's implementation but i'd be perfectly happy with it. That said i don't multitask very often and as long as it plays music in the background and allows me to text while the music is on i'm pretty satisfied. So my verdict is iphone multitasking is good "enough."
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    regarding multitasking: i earlier said i wasn't impressed by just that as an annoucnement.

i saw a long hands on video showing iphone multitaking. my verdict is this. it's not as elegant as webos's implementation but i'd be perfectly happy with it. That said i don't multitask very often and as long as it plays music in the background and allows me to text while the music is on i'm pretty satisfied. So my verdict is iphone multitasking is good "enough."
    Beta 2 of os4 looks far more elegant in the multitasking area.

iPhone OS 4 Beta 2 brings refreshed app switching UI
    The only mobile that has tru multitasking is the Androids, palm is dead like WM will be soon. And the new iPhone will fake its multitasking.

Sightline Payments Kirk Sanford
    betting
    Last edited by bmenot; 04/05/2011 at 04:33 AM.