Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    450K iPads sold the first week 50 Million iPhones sold.. 'Nuff said?

At the end of the day, it all comes down to market acceptance. At his point, Palm is a HUGE fail
    i'll totally agree with this point. It's a business of selling phones. It's not about philosophical crusades for open platforms or message board acceptance. it's about selling products. That is success. i dont' want an ipad. I don't need an ebook reader that can't read my pdfs. But the market does. And that's what matters. Half baked? i don't think so. it does more then the kindle. does more then it's competitors. in many cases you can't say that about palm phones in a way that matters to consumers. But ipads and iphones sell and it's cause they consistently appeal to a ton of consumers. And Palm's products don't. And that's a problem.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 04/08/2010 at 03:01 PM.
    EDIT: Don't matter. Miss understood the previous post.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Again, unlike WebOS, Safari runs all browser windows as ONE app. So if you were browsing 6 websites, had three emails open, and were running Pandora and Navigation ALL AT THE SAME TIME, you could still open up something else.
    I think you're overstating the importance of this a bit. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times a week I have more than one Web page open at a time. I'm sure others have different use cases, but it's not significant for me at all.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Palm still has a better implementation of multi-tasking...
    ...The fact that it now has a pretty terrible implementation of multi-tasking doesn't change that.
    you're probably confusing the ui w/ multitasking like a bunch of other folks here, but it's not at all clear that the multi-tasking on the iphone is terrible and that palm's is better. the fact that they've thought through very distinct use cases for multi-tasking and apparently implemented different methods to address it strongly suggest that the multi-tasking in iphone os 4 will be very good, and probably better than palm's.

(and for others, no, it's not the same as how android or blackberry handle multitasking either.)
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    (and for others, no, it's not the same as how android or blackberry handle multitasking either.)
    Nope, it's the same as how Garnet handled it.

Like I said in another thread, I suspect it'll be good enough for the majority of iPhone users for a while. But for me (and I'm sure others), it's way too limited. It's one of the reasons I switched from Garnet to WM in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttremblay View Post
    "11:40AM Q: How do you close applications when multitasking? A: (Scott) You don't have to. The user just uses things and doesn't ever have to worry about it. (Steve) It's like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager... they blew it. Users shouldn't ever have to think about it."

I dont get it.
    the application life cycle is handled by the os. what's not to get?

(this part IS like android)
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I think you're overstating the importance of this a bit. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times a week I have more than one Web page open at a time. I'm sure others have different use cases, but it's not significant for me at all.
    Thank you! Basically what I said
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Just because you don't use something doesn't mean that it's not a killer feature.
    Word. I love synergy.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moris View Post
    I Agree, plus every single app needs to be updated so they can use those services, "pandora devs made it work in a day" but i dont think it will be that easy for smaller/indie devs, and this will be an issue on unmaintained apps
    OK, well then all the iPhone users will have to fall back on the other 184,999 apps out there. It doesn't matter! There is no way to argue this away as a huge step up on the iPhone's part.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    you're probably confusing the ui w/ multitasking like a bunch of other folks here, but it's not at all clear that the multi-tasking on the iphone is terrible and that palm's is better. the fact that they've thought through very distinct use cases for multi-tasking and apparently implemented different methods to address it strongly suggest that the multi-tasking in iphone os 4 will be very good, and probably better than palm's.

I didn't really confuse it - the UI representation of multi-tasking is exactly what I was talking about - or at least what I was trying to get across . The way WebOS represents multi-tasking is in keeping with its overall advantage over iPhone OS IMO. At a glance the user can see and control very easily what's going on easier in WebOS than iPhone OS.

Don't get me wrong, iPhone's implementation of M-T will have excellent memory management I'm sure but I'm a user that wants full control over what apps I run and when I don't run them (I want to ability myself to close down an app easily). Its just a preference of mine to not have the OS control that aspect of my use of the device.

Better is subjective isn't it
    Quote Originally Posted by sjholland87 View Post
    Basically, go over 7 apps and the iphone closes the one opened first. Not that hard to get really.
    where are you getting this 7 app limit thing from?
    where are you getting this 7 app limit thing from?
    I think it's probably some confusion because of the "7 background services" comment.
    But in order to preserve battery life, Apple has picked seven services which can be run by applications while the phone is running something else. They are background audio (so apps like Pandora can be used while doing other tasks), voice over IP (so users can receive Skype calls even when they do not have the app running or the phone is asleep), background location, push notifications (so you can get your Twitter alerts while accessing other apps), local notifications, task completion (so you can jump to something else while a web page loads or video downloads to a news app), and what Apple calls 'fast app switching' - essentially it keeps all the data about where you were in the app so it can easily jump back to it.
    Apple turns iPhone into multi-tasking ads platform with OS 4 launch | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Yes confusion on my part

However, if someone has push on, then wont it limit it to 7 apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I didn't really confuse it - the UI representation of multi-tasking is exactly what I was talking about - or at least what I was trying to get across . The way WebOS represents multi-tasking is in keeping with its overall advantage over iPhone OS IMO. At a glance the user can see and control very easily what's going on easier in WebOS than iPhone OS.
    then quit saying that the pre has better multi tasking if you're talking about the ui. it sounds ignorant, especially since there are very obviously people here that really don't seem to understand the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I think it's probably some confusion because of the "7 background services" comment.
    that's what i'm thinking, but wanted to clarify.

for the confused, having seven services available to programmers is not the same as a seven app limit!
    that's what i'm thinking, but wanted to clarify.

for the confused, having seven services available to programmers is not the same as a seven app limit!
    yeah i admitted the confusion. My bad
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    WOW, how easily Apple reassigns meanings to words, and how easily people believe them...

Please, note this: You don't need to close apps because the OS isn't multitasking.

You get only a few subscription services that can reactivate the app. Period.

It's the same as alerts in webOS: You can close entirely your app and let the system wakeup it when needed to make things. But with webOS you can also keep your app in absolutely active in background (with notifications) and also running in card view not beeing the active app. That's multitasking.

They're just showing the world a recent apps bar.
    It doesn't matter. You guys are missing the point. Take someone in your family that doesn't belong to a single pc/phone forum and this is what happens:
    Can I listen to Pandora while I surf the web or answer email or use another app?
    Yes.
    Can I use the GPS while I use Pandora or XM Streaming?
    Yes.

So who the hell cares about whether it's "multi-tasking" or "multi-threading". Normal people, 85% of the smartphone population, don't give a steaming **** about the distinction. You're up your own *** if you think this makes any difference to the end user.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    then quit saying that the pre has better multi tasking if you're talking about the ui. it sounds ignorant, especially since there are very obviously people here that really don't seem to understand the difference.
    Jeez aren't we just a little bit pedantic today .

For most people (i.e. end-users, not technical types) the UI of multi-tasking is what they tend to view as multi-tasking so its easier to put it in language everyone understands. I would have thought since no-one here has really used iPhone 4.0 then it would be clear that the UI is what is being discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by tedknaz View Post
    It doesn't matter. You guys are missing the point. Take someone in your family that doesn't belong to a single pc/phone forum and this is what happens:
    Can I listen to Pandora while I surf the web or answer email or use another app?
    Yes.
    Yes.

So who the hell cares about whether it's "multi-tasking" or "multi-threading". Normal people, 85% of the smartphone population, don't give a steaming **** about the distinction. You're up your own *** if you think this makes any difference to the end user.
    Agreed 100%. At the end of the day we are arguing semantics. However, show that same family member how to open and switch between apps in WebOS and again in iPhone 4.0 and see what happens. I'm willing to bet most end up deciding that WebOS is easier to use and slicker to just look at.

Now if only Palm could open a ton more APIs, market their products better, and get the hardware issues solved 100% they'd be golden
    Last edited by solarus; 04/08/2010 at 03:46 PM.
    exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by tedknaz View Post
    Yes.
    Yes.

I am so confused. iPhone OS 4.0's multitasking implementation provides all of the benefits of WebOS' preemptive multitasking without any of the memory management issues.

How is this a bad thing? I almost get the feeling those touting WebOS' "true multitasking" don't even know why they consider that method superior other than it being...well, you know, "true."