Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718 LastLast
    its fake multitasking, its pre-defined (and thus limited and controlled) services that run in the background, not individual apps.

god I hate apple lie and people just play dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    it isn't? How long did you get to play around with it?

Your right, Palm prayers have been answered..."iPhone 4.0 is bringing multitasking". I'm sure that exactly what they were praying for.
    Stale icons are not pretty. The jailbreak multitasking apps imo are a lot more pretty. I'm happy Apple added this ability but its not pretty to me. I'm sure others love it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    its fake multitasking, its pre-defined services that run in the background, not individual apps.

And to most people, except the apple haters, it wont matter one bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjholland87 View Post
    There's a limit of 7 apps...
    Again, unlike WebOS, Safari runs all browser windows as ONE app. So if you were browsing 6 websites, had three emails open, and were running Pandora and Navigation ALL AT THE SAME TIME, you could still open up something else.
    This is the basic iPhone OS model, for those of you that weren't around before Windows...

Software Carousel - Computer Dictionary Definition
    WOW, how easily Apple reassigns meanings to words, and how easily people believe them...

Please, note this: You don't need to close apps because the OS isn't multitasking.

You get only a few subscription services that can reactivate the app. Period.

It's the same as alerts in webOS: You can close entirely your app and let the system wakeup it when needed to make things. But with webOS you can also keep your app in absolutely active in background (with notifications) and also running in card view not beeing the active app. That's multitasking.

They're just showing the world a recent apps bar.
    its fake multitasking, its pre-defined services that run in the background, not individual apps.

The multitasking that iPhone offers is pretty severely limited. See this description from Engadget:

The system actually runs the services apps need in the background -- the apps don't need to do them individually, so it's not a "true" multitasking system, but it seems plenty effective. There are seven services: background audio, which allows you to use the standard pop-over iPod controls, Voice over IP, which can receive calls in the background, location services for GPS and social networking (there's an indicator if any service is tracking you), updated push notifications with local notifications, task completion so you can finish things like uploads in the background, and fast app switching, which lets apps sleep and resume instantly. Notably missing? Anything for managing a conversation, like IM or Twitter, which is a big omission. Win some, lose some, we suppose.
    Link: Multitasking comes to iPhone OS 4.0 -- but not to the iPhone 3G -- Engadget

I would add the following to the notably missing list: things that apple hasn't imagined could be done. This is not multitasking for every app. It's only the multitasking that apple imagines people want to do. If someone comes up with a clever thing to do that requires multitasking but can't be done using those 7 options, then the iPhone can't do it.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    of course it matters! if you can only define several limited services, then apps don't belong to those won't run at "multitasking"
    Yeah, let's see what they do... gizmodo is saying they can keep games in background...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Same way Android does. They get pushed out of memory as something else comes along that needs the space. First-in, First-out rotation.

That's why they had to create "sweeper" apps for Android to clean up apps that needed to be closed or left behind a mess.
    There is no way in hell this is how it's going to multitask. This means it would just randomly close out an application because it's last in line. I actually hope this is the methodology, because it would show how stupid apple is...and android, if that really is how it multi tasks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Again, unlike WebOS, Safari runs all browser windows as ONE app. So if you were browsing 6 websites, had three emails open, and were running Pandora and Navigation ALL AT THE SAME TIME, you could still open up something else.
    And that wasn't the question. The question was what if you wanted to run 10 apps. I pointed out you couldn't. You could only run 7. Please stop pointing out things I never said!

It's all very well saying all safari bowser pages are tabbed... But what if you have 7 other apps running... A game, pandora, Navigation, DTG, Skype, Music etc etc...

Sperate apps aren't they!?!
    It's a step in the right direction for the iPhone, but I'll be sticking with WebOS, thank you very much.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Just because you don't use something doesn't mean that it's not a killer feature.
    I agree completely. I am in the process of switching jobs so I signed up for Facebook (probably one of the last people to do so) so I could stay in contact with my old coworkers. Everytime I friend someone on Facebook I have their contact information pretty much immediately with no work on my part, doesn't get much easier then that. The only reason I have ever plugged my Pre into a computer is to put media on the Pre or get pictures off... that is where synergy really shines.
    I think there's seriously a lot of confusion in this thread, myself included.

Whether you believe this is the end of things for Palm, or whether you believe this isn't good enough, it'd be helpful if we all have the facts straight.

• Not all applications will use background threading. Most will remember the state that they were in when you left the app, and just return to that saved state when you reopen it.
    • Some applications can utilize background services for seven different functions. Paraphrased from Engadget: background audio, VOIP, location services, push notifications, local notifications, task completion, and fast app switching.
    • Full applications can not and will not be running in the background, just small pieces of them can.
    • If you want to do anything in the background (such as IM) that Apple hasn't included, you're beat.

Apple is correct, with this style of multitasking (which I think is more aptly called multithreading), you shouldn't ever need a task manager. When you go back into the VOIP app and stop the call, it should unhook from the VOIP service. When you turn off the music, you'll no longer be using that hook.
    Dissecting Apple's iPhone 4.0's sources of 'me-too' inspiration | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com

"Add it up and Apple’s latest iPhone 4.0 push has a lot of me-too features involved. If you swapped Steves (Jobs for Ballmer) at this keynote, the guy from the Redmond would get crushed with these features. The Steve from Cupertino gets applause. The best item from Apple here is the iAds app advertising by far. That’s original thinking. As for the rest of the event, Jobs should have linked out to the mobile platforms that had these features first."
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    My friend, I've had my Pre out amongst iPhone-owning friends of mine. No real point in trying to evangelize because they don't care about multitasking and they are immediately locked into the ecosystem with stuff like playing multiplayer Scrabble against each other or using iPhone exclusive apps to make their photos into cool pictures for FB or whatever.

But if you have more of an impact...good on you.
    Bingo. Its all about the ecosystem that Apple built. That's the strength in the model.

You are going to have a hard time selling an iPhone user on Pre style multitasking when they are 500 bucks in the hole on apps with iPod touches, ipads and alike sharing those apps, etc.

While some of the features of the operating system might not be as great, it's the ecosystem that sells it and keeps people locked in.
    Quote Originally Posted by abbodabbodo View Post
    Dissecting Apple's iPhone 4.0's sources of 'me-too' inspiration | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com

"Add it up and Apple’s latest iPhone 4.0 push has a lot of me-too features involved. If you swapped Steves (Jobs for Ballmer) at this keynote, the guy from the Redmond would get crushed with these features. The Steve from Cupertino gets applause. The best item from Apple here is the iAds app advertising by far. That’s original thinking. As for the rest of the event, Jobs should have linked out to the mobile platforms that had these features first."
    I said this about the ipad. If microsoft released a product that half baked, they would get slated. Apple do it and they get praised.

Call a **** an i**** and it will be glowing with amazing reviews and sell by the bucket load
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post

Explain to me how that matters when the end user result is the same?
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjholland87 View Post
    I said this about the ipad. If microsoft released a product that half baked, they would get slated. Apple do it and they get praised.

Call a **** an i**** and it will be glowing with amazing reviews and sell by the bucket load
    450K iPads sold the first week 50 Million iPhones sold.. 'Nuff said?

At the end of the day, it all comes down to market acceptance. At his point, Palm is a HUGE fail