Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 LastLast
    It might be that the new task manager basically integrated what that patch does which is that it saves the state of the program rather than leaving it actually running in the background.

I can think of a pro and con to this:

Pro: It might allow multi-tasking to be faster.
    Con: For saving states it might take up more of the harddrive space. Particularly if you never shut off the app. Imagine having ran 300 apps one month. The saved state files could almost take up a good amount of space.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I think Microsoft can crush Apple here. What they're doing with Windows Phone 7, Xbox, and PC gaming, using Visual Studio to develop games for all three platforms at once, and then tie them all together, is vastly superior to anything Apple can do here. And no matter what, there are more Xbox and PC gamers than there are iPhone gamers, and the games on Microsoft's platforms are far superior. People seem to forget just how limited mobile gaming really is compared to the big boys...

The biggest threat to Apple's hegemony, in my opinion, is Microsoft. That is, if Microsoft doesn't step all over themselves and try to mimic iPhone 2.0.
    there are over 50 million iphones to users, that really crushes all the xbox users. as for PC well there is no way to count them.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    Duh. Thanks for telling me something i already new. Im saying the OS update is nothing amazing. Apple may or may not announce a new phone it doesnt matter. All that matters is that palms is better or on par with it. Again they dont need to outsell anyone. They just need to sell phones.

So the addition of....
    multitasking
    multiple exchange support
    unified inbox (YES!!!)
    Game Center (like xbox live)
    tons of new enterprise features
    tons of new developer APIs

is not an amazing update? I wonder what Palms update will look like?
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    i think fail is the perfect word...just my opinion
    If that's failure, then what is selling less than half of the products you ship in a quarter? Success?

If providing developers tons of APIs and access to all of the hardware is fail, then what is lagging on SDK and PDK development and no access to THE MICROPHONE? Success?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiperla View Post
    Con: For saving states it might take up more of the harddrive space. Particularly if you never shut off the app. Imagine having ran 300 apps one month. The saved state files could almost take up a good amount of space.
    I believe there is a limit on how many apps are stored at a time. I don't think it would take up much space at all, anyway.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
    To be honest, Apple's "multitasking" isn't really multitasking. They only provide a few background services for doing the following tasks in the background:

audio streaming
    voip
    location (GPS)
    and task completion

The big one missing for me is instant messaging, but I guess notifications almost fills that void if it wasnt for the fact that notifications still suck on the iPhone. Android/WinMo/WebOS get it right by allowing unobtrusive notifications. I hate notifications that interrupt what you are doing at the time on your device.

On another note, you have to appreciate what Apple is doing because it keeps up the competition on other manufacturers. I see a LOT of hate on this forum. Like most of you are bitter former Apple customers. Open your mind lol
    I Agree, plus every single app needs to be updated so they can use those services, "pandora devs made it work in a day" but i dont think it will be that easy for smaller/indie devs, and this will be an issue on unmaintained apps
    Duh. Thanks for telling me something i already new. Im saying the OS update is nothing amazing. Apple may or may not announce a new phone it doesnt matter. All that matters is that palms is better or on par with it. Again they dont need to outsell anyone. They just need to sell phones.
    Palm "selling phones" is greatly impacted by Apple stepping their game up (see: iPhone 3GS launching right around the same time the Pre is). It's all related, and these were very significant updates on Apple's part.
    and by having phones that are better than palm phones pretty much makes it harder for it to sell. hell to other users the webos updates dont bring anything amazing due to the fact other phones have the features that are come out with webos updates, well some of them. and then it doesnt matter if palm announces a new phone, webos is in par with the iphone right so lets just roll out more updates....right?
    Quote Originally Posted by ttremblay View Post
    "11:40AM Q: How do you close applications when multitasking? A: (Scott) You don't have to. The user just uses things and doesn't ever have to worry about it. (Steve) It's like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager... they blew it. Users shouldn't ever have to think about it."

I dont get it.
    I was just going to post this, because it encapsulates what I dislike about Apple.

Folks, a stylus on a tablet device is not a nuisance, or a distraction, or a sign of something wrong with it. A stylus is a very natural and powerful way of entering content on such a device--in fact, I think it's vital. I've been using a Tablet PC with a stylus for seven years now, and have taken handwritten notes during well over a thousand meetings during that time. Maybe a few thousand, in fact. And all of those handwritten notes are indexed and searchable, and include the sorts of extemporaneous drawings and diagrams that are vital for capturing information.

There's absolutely no good way to use such a device for entering content on the go except for a stylus. Period. Steve Jobs may be enamored with his fingers, but that's his problem. The notion that a stylus is "wrong" demonstrates his incredible arrogance, just like his refusal to consider a physical keyboard. He deliberately limits the usefulness of devices to fit his own personal design aesthetic.

The same goes here for the idea that users should have to worry about an app closing. Folks, at some point an app will have to close in order to make room in memory for other apps. And how in the world can it not matter to the user which apps close? What if I'm listening to Pandora and navigating and monitoring a Twitter feed, all on purpose--how will the system decide which of those tasks I'm okay with killing off?

Grrrrr...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    So the addition of....
    multitasking
    multiple exchange support
    unified inbox (YES!!!)
    Game Center (like xbox live)
    tons of new enterprise features
    tons of new developer APIs

is not an amazing update? I wonder what Palms update will look like?
    You do realize that your top 3 there are already in WebOS, right? And our UI is a lot more elegant, streamlined, and consistent. Apple *talks* about that, but they rarely actually implement it. Eye candy, and lack of configurability (using my device as *I* want to use it, not how jobs-god wants) are par for the course with Apple.

And those tons of new APIs are likely for whatever hoops the developer needs to jump through for whatever is being touted as 'multitasking'. Oh, and advertisements.
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 04/08/2010 at 02:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweat View Post
    To be honest, if Verizon gets the multi-tasking iPhone, Palm is toast without a deep-pocketed buyer.

The Pre lacks features that competitors have right now (voice-activated dialing, ability to read bar codes, thousands and thousands of apps) and Apple just took the multi-tasking advantage away.

Synergy? Would Palm please stop hyping that. I know many people who have no intention of ever adding their LinkedIn or Facebook contacts to their primary contact directory. Heck, I cut my Facebook friend list in half recently and there are still many people who I don't want in my contact list. Nothing against them, but they are online acquaintances, not true friends. Good people, but not true friends.

Palm needs to start hitting home runs right now. Too small? Don't care. Users should have patience? Don't care. Palm will improve stuff in the future? Don't care.

The average person walking into a store today or this summer only cares what is out when they walk into the store. Palm already had an uphill battle; now the hill just turned into a steep mountain.
    Synergy isn't just about contacts - calendar, email, IM all come into play there. Also Contact Synergy isn't just about Linkedin (useful) and Facebook (not useful ) its about having your contacts from various sources (Exchange, Gmail, Yahoo,) all accessible in one list.

You are correct that Palm have an uphill battle and need to come out with new device and more APIs but so what, don't care.

There are plenty of feature phone users (which is where all the smart phone growth is coming from btw) that don't need 150,000 apps, they want simple easy to use email, calendar, tasks, web, etc along with some basic apps such as maps, navigation, sports etc... My point is that WebOS will NEVER be the #1 or probably even the #2 player in the smart phone market, but you have to remember just how small the smart phone market is right now. There's plenty of new customers to go around for the time being. Palm can survive being a #3 or #4 player - but they have to do a better job of getting the feature phone users to buy into WebOS, its polished UI, and its unique features.

An easy example is for Palm to demonstrate their implementation of multi-tasking versus the new iPhone's multi-tasking - just about everyone should acknowledges that Palm's is superior in implementation since they already acknowledge that Palm's is better than Android's which the iPhone's is very similar to. Don't get me wrong, multi-tasking ease of use isn't the end all be all argument but its an argument that should be made along with Palm's other strengths. Palm still have a future - a phone doesn't have to be the best at everything to succeed in the market place, the iPhone itself is proof of that.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I'm curious how people claim to know the performance of the iPhone battery when they have never used the iPhone 4.0 OS, just because Steve Jobs told you so?
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy96 View Post
    in apple multitasking, how does one close out of an app that is open? exactly, apple sucks.
    Same way Android does. They get pushed out of memory as something else comes along that needs the space. First-in, First-out rotation.

That's why they had to create "sweeper" apps for Android to clean up apps that needed to be closed or left behind a mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by vladi View Post
    You double tap home button and dock appears at the bottom showing you all the apps that are open. It doesn't show more than four at a time I think.
    Wow, my Treo 680 did something very similar.
    Palm III - Tungsten E2 - Treo 680 - Palm Pre - Impatiently awaiting a Pre 3!
    For the people mentioning lack of a task manager, I imagine it'll be nearly identical to Garnet, as I said already. With that being the case, look at how pocketTunes worked, for example. When you pressed the stop button on the music, the background thread ended, and it no longer remained open.

Or with the IM clients, you'd hit the sign off menu option, and then the background process would close.
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Apple just announced that they're fragmenting their OS:
    No fragmentation at all. They have simply stopped new feature development on the older hardware.

Just like the way they add new stuff to Snow Leopard that isn't part of regular Leopard (sun leopard? grassy field Leopard? whatever the non-snowy leopard is called...)
    Its a huge step forward but it is in no way WebOS. Palm must have been doing a whole lot of praying because iPhone's multitasking is not pretty. Hopefully Palm takes this as a warning and gets their crap together.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I watched the liveblog from Engadget, and I was a bit disappointed. Apple's approach is very much like Android's, with the system automatically closing apps when it needs more resources. Good if you only use 2-3 apps at a time, but what if you want 10 running? Also, it doesn't look to be nearly as intuitive or useful as WebOS's design, since you can't see the state of your app, just an icon... like Android.

Half of the time when I'm multitasking in WebOS, I don't need to go back to an app fully and resume it's activity just to get what I need... I just need to see the picture of the screen to see a word or whatever else I'm trying to remember.

Then there's the fact that it still doesn't look like true multitasking at all (not that WebOS is always true multitasking), since there are only a handful of services that can run in the background, and normal apps will just have their states saved.
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    Its a huge step forward but it is in no way WebOS. Palm must have been doing a whole lot of praying because iPhone's multitasking is not pretty. Hopefully Palm takes this as a warning and gets their crap together.
    it isn't? How long did you get to play around with it?

Your right, Palm prayers have been answered..."iPhone 4.0 is bringing multitasking". I'm sure that exactly what they were praying for.
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    I watched the liveblog from Engadget, and I was a bit disappointed. Apple's approach is very much like Android's, with the system automatically closing apps when it needs more resources. Good if you only use 2-3 apps at a time, but what if you want 10 running? Also, it doesn't look to be nearly as intuitive or useful as WebOS's design, since you can't see the state of your app, just an icon... like Android.
    There's a limit of 7 apps...