Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    So maybe Palm should just advertise their remaining advantages....

1. Better multitasking
    2. physical keyboard (albeit a very poor one)
    3. synergy (ha!)

thats it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweat View Post
    Synergy? Would Palm please stop hyping that. I know many people who have no intention of ever adding their LinkedIn or Facebook contacts to their primary contact directory. Heck, I cut my Facebook friend list in half recently and there are still many people who I don't want in my contact list. Nothing against them, but they are online acquaintances, not true friends. Good people, but not true friends.
    Just because you don't use something doesn't mean that it's not a killer feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    5. The amount of minutes before this also gets moved to "Other Phones".
    I think it would be better to just merge this thread with this one. But yea.. I gave up telling people to post in the right forum a long time ago lol.
    Actually, Palm just needs to stay in business. Android already multitask and 9000 new Android apps came out in March.

Anyhow, Palm's CEO has a game plan...

http://www.precentral.net/palm-ceo-j...in-tells-it-it

Quote Originally Posted by sweat View Post
    Jobs is showing off true multi-tasking for the iPhone.

Apple iPhone to soon get long-sought multitasking - Yahoo! Finance

So much for Palm having that competitive advantage....
    Quote Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
    What matters the most if how it appears to the enduser. A notepad document is swapped to memory and I can reopen its again (quickly) in the same state I left it, why does it matter (especially in iPhone 4's way of app switching)? Same with games and other apps that don't need a persistent connection to some resource (ie. internet).
    It wasn't good enough back in the PalmOS days, and now it's good enough? (Obviously there were other issues with PalmOS / Garnet as well, but one of the consistent cries around the time Cobalt was being worked on was that it needed to do true multitasking. ... I guess technology really does go through major cycles. )

Like I said above, it's a good step for users of Apple products, but at the same time, not revolutionary.
    You know why I would never get an apple product? Because they are so full of themselves. They keep declaring that the next thing they have will be the best and the best for a time to come. But all they do are make toys. And why do we keep hearing about the iPhone on a Pre site? There is more mention of an iPhone than there is of a Pre or Pixi.
    Quote Originally Posted by ukabu View Post
    they may call it multitasking, but it's not. You just have Apple background processes... Your apps cannot have background process.

this is much like old time-sharing system. One process run at a time and when one does some IO, cpu is handled to another process until this one does some IO or give control back to the OS.

what is different with iPhone OS is that it's the user who control which app runs... And they swap non-running apps from memory.

This just show how hard it is for them to really do multitasking... And forget about their claim about battery life. Their battery life is barely better at monotasking than a Palm Pre at multitasking.

It's just a marketing pitch... The awful thing is that it seems to work... Plenty of clueless people here saying they'll switch to iPhone before they had a chance to experience what it'll really be like to multi-mono-tasking.
    you cannot say its not background processing from what a website says, you need to actually dig deep in to see how it actually works. no one has a video nor has a hands on with this new software updates.

as for battery life, they pretty much made it clear that battery will drain but they pretty much improving on it. this basically means "hey expect some amount of battery drain" they are covering their arses.

quit hating on apple for coming out with their own multitasking. hell they got a stable device, that runs smooth, has a lot of apps, and now has multitasking. hell apple gave more features for devs now, hows it it that we cry to palm to give us almost all these features and daddy apple gives us the oppurtunity to use their phone for all the features that we cry about.

seriously i dont know if its fan boys or hatred but people need to see what the market has and start realizing that no one will never have card view of webos. if any company does that then clearly it would by copying and lawsuits will fly out of companies arses. Apple has their own multitasking and it was just announced a few hours ago, of course the whole details on these new features are not out yet. Give this sometime and we will eventually learn the whole details behind their new multitasking for iphone.

If the rumors of iphones going to other carriers come true this summer or end of the year, so long palm im going with what the entire market is using.
    blinded by the light....
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    They've pretty much addressed every "WebOS advantage" and one upped it in several ways.

Background API
    Folders
    Unified Inbox
    Multi Exchange Accts
    Related messages highlighted in mail
    Mobile Device Management - Enterprise
    Data Encryption - Enterprise
    Game Center (There are 50,000 Game & Entertainment titles in App store)
    Wireless App Distribution
    SSL VPN Support
    Social Gaming Network
    Skype! (in the background and always "on")

Honestly, I love my Pre Plus, but it's pretty much game over now unless Palm whips out some magic.

Before the Anti-Apple Chime in...

Where is the WebOS/Palm Advantage?

Hardware? Nope
    Battery? Nope
    App Availability? Nope
    Games? Nope
    Multitasking? (Different, but for most users, no advantage)

this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tedknaz View Post
    Let's be honest here: Palm better come up with something soon or the only reason a lot of people will stay with Palm is because they don't want to be on AT&T. I'm staying on Sprint because I have a great deal and the service is good, but when the EVO 4G comes out I may not stick around. If an iPhone goes to verizon and is compatible with Sprint, I may get one to jailbreak it. Basically...what the hell is Palm going to do to compete?

The only thing that Palm has done is provide the PDK support to port iPhone apps over to the Pre, and that's only been for games. Where are all the cool apps? Where's a decent media player with good performance? Where's a silky smooth interface that doesn't chug on the simplest thing? Why is it that I need to do a 20% overclock on my phone to get UI performance that doesn't make me want to chuck my phone out a window?

Speaking of the phone, why the hell is the phone app so slow? Look, palm has some great things going for it: the contact merging is incredible and I wouldn't want to live without it. The facebook integration throughout is great. Email works really well. Notifications rock. Wifi tethering. The open nature of the platform is great. But that doesn't fix the problem that the only apps that are being released for this platform on a regular basis are quote compilations and hot girl background apps. There is NOTHING useful coming out for WebOS because a) market penetration sucks and b) it's a separate dev cycle from the iPhone. And Palm isn't doing enough to fix this. The only applications that I've seen that are in any way decent (and not necessarily any better than their iPhone equivalents) are foursquare, tweed, NYTimes, LA Times, facebook, and engadget. Only foursquare and engadget are not launch apps. In the 10 months since the phone came out, in my usage, only two more worthwhile apps have come out.

Look, Palm needs to better foster the app ecosystem. If that means copy iPhone's SDK and throw money at the problem then so be it. Palm also needs to come out with new hardware. Significant hardware refreshes need to come no less than 18 months apart, and they better be hot. This iPhone announcement just made me sour on Palm's future...
    and this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiperla View Post
    And why do we keep hearing about the iPhone on a Pre site? There is more mention of an iPhone than there is of a Pre or Pixi.
    That's because the iphone is one of the Pre's major competitors... Of course people are going to want to talk about how what Apple does can effect Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    It's not just ridiculous that Palm hasn't given mic access in the SDK, it's downright a fricking mystery. More than anything else, I just don't get this one, and audio recording is hands-down the thing I miss the most in webOS.

That, and no Docs to Go--another mystery.
    Ditto on the mystery. I don't get it.
    Nice additions but multitasking on the iphone looks very blackberry-ish. Fail.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Bah!
    "11:40AM Q: How do you close applications when multitasking? A: (Scott) You don't have to. The user just uses things and doesn't ever have to worry about it. (Steve) It's like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager... they blew it. Users shouldn't ever have to think about it."

I dont get it.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVINCIBZ View Post
    DUMB QUESTION

DONT KNOW IF SOMEONE HAS ASKED

how will you close an app on the iphone

with webos we swipe up and its gone.

every single app you open in iphone will go the multitasking window
    Problem Solved:

If you want to kill an app…you don’t have to. We architected something so the user doesn’t have to be the custodian of applications. We’ll give the apps in the foreground as needed. The user doesn’t have to worry about that at all. The user just uses things
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    When you have millions of users and will get millions more...I don't think "fail" is the right word.
    i think fail is the perfect word...just my opinion
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by DAVINCIBZ View Post
    DUMB QUESTION

DONT KNOW IF SOMEONE HAS ASKED

how will you close an app on the iphone

with webos we swipe up and its gone.

every single app you open in iphone will go the multitasking window
    As far as I understand... one tap to close, doubletap to minimize.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Do you really think that is all? Todays presentation was OS 4.0... it wasnt iphone 4th gen phone. They will have another presentation to introduce the new phone with NEW HARDWARE. maybe the latest sdk will have clues... I for one am hoping for a front facing camera. I am guessing it will have the same chipset used in ipad. if so, it will be fast!

Duh. Thanks for telling me something i already new. Im saying the OS update is nothing amazing. Apple may or may not announce a new phone it doesnt matter. All that matters is that palms is better or on par with it. Again they dont need to outsell anyone. They just need to sell phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttremblay View Post
    "11:40AM Q: How do you close applications when multitasking? A: (Scott) You don't have to. The user just uses things and doesn't ever have to worry about it. (Steve) It's like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager... they blew it. Users shouldn't ever have to think about it."

I dont get it.
    Basically, go over 7 apps and the iphone closes the one opened first. Not that hard to get really.