Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    they may call it multitasking, but it's not. You just have Apple background processes... Your apps cannot have background process.

this is much like old time-sharing system. One process run at a time and when one does some IO, cpu is handled to another process until this one does some IO or give control back to the OS.

what is different with iPhone OS is that it's the user who control which app runs... And they swap non-running apps from memory.

This just show how hard it is for them to really do multitasking... And forget about their claim about battery life. Their battery life is barely better at monotasking than a Palm Pre at multitasking.

It's just a marketing pitch... The awful thing is that it seems to work... Plenty of clueless people here saying they'll switch to iPhone before they had a chance to experience what it'll really be like to multi-mono-tasking.
    The implementation is much like Android so it wont be as graceful and intuitive as webOS. Second, Palms implementation of unobtrusive notifications is still a big advantage over iphone and andriod.

I will agree though that the big marketing blitz of Andriod and Palm saying we can multitask but iPhone can't is over.

I was really impressed with the email app upgrades, merged inbox view (I know webOS has this), in app attachment view (not really impressive), and threaded messaging (here is what I would love to see implemented in webOS app for gmail accounts).

It sounds like Apple is simply playing catchup. With a couple of OS modifications: threaded email, digital zoom for video and camera, and a better music app (although Nanplayer seems to be a monster --- I'll know more when I get a chance to play with it) and some knew hardware: faster processor, more ram, more disk space, better camera, and a compass, Palm really is still in this spec wise. WebOS will still be more elegant in most ways than iPhone and much easier for non-smartphone people to use.
    Forget about the fact iphoneOS 4 will support HTML5 which can only help palm users as well as android users.

Also forget about the fact that is only 3gs enabled (way to screw your userbase apple)

I just posted this on my facebook in reply to a comment

The HTML5 announcment though is a big one. It means users of android, webos and iphoneos don't have to rely on adobe pulling their fingers out of their arses to get flash out the door. All 3 will be on a similar wavelength which could only be good for the user. Iphone apps will be easily able to be ported to webos and android and vice versa. It's something I have been baffled by (why the companies wont agree on one standard) which now seems to have been answered and also explains why palm delayed their PDK and SDK releases and google fragmented android (version 2.1 is out yet companies use 2.0)

I also think RIM will get left behind with blackberries. BlackberryOS is not a patch on what is out there. No wonder why they are sniffing around Palm.... See more
    Think about it next time before you put your hands on the keyboard
    Quote Originally Posted by tedknaz View Post
    1. They have to push to get those apps out then. It's been 4 months since CES and we've only seen games.

2. If they announce it in June it will be 18 months since they announced the Pre. If they can somehow release the phone in less than 6 months from that announcement they may have something. I think if they just rev the Pre body they need to throw some metal in the slide assembly to make it feel more solid.
    1. Agreed, completely. I was very, very disappointed when they said the update to allow wide distribution of PDK apps would come "sometime in the first half of the year."

2. I think they need to release the next gen device immediately after they announce it. No more than 30 days later, and preferably within a week or two at the most. They can't afford to cannibalize current device sales on whatever carrier the next gen is released on first without something to sell.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    web os will die out soon
    My New Twitter App http://bit.ly/aeaD9O
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    You wish Palm had the success the Apple has. You cannot deny that apple is outrageously more successful at R&D, planning and execution than palm ever was or will be.
    actually - advertising
    Quote Originally Posted by ukabu View Post
    they may call it multitasking, but it's not. You just have Apple background processes... Your apps cannot have background process.

this is much like old time-sharing system. One process run at a time and when one does some IO, cpu is handled to another process until this one does some IO or give control back to the OS.

what is different with iPhone OS is that it's the user who control which app runs... And they swap non-running apps from memory.

This just show how hard it is for them to really do multitasking... And forget about their claim about battery life. Their battery life is barely better at monotasking than a Palm Pre at multitasking.

It's just a marketing pitch... The awful thing is that it seems to work... Plenty of clueless people here saying they'll switch to iPhone before they had a chance to experience what it'll really be like to multi-mono-tasking.
    Its almost the same system Android uses. Most users wont care. They will think its multitasking. I think it will be good enough.
    Wow, the multitasking thing is pretty huge. I'm surprised by how much I still have an aversion to the iPhone despite this....

So trying to think positively...there didn't seem to be a groundbreaking *new* feature here...

So If the Pre2's hardware's good, and they've added some cool newness to the OS as well... I think Palm can gain ground based on this Apple reveal.
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Here's to the new multitasking:

Also, when Steve was asked if there were plans to add Flash or java, his response was a flat: No.
    In two years: "We weren't the first with Flash on a smartphone, but we'll be the best, etc..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I'll agree that it isn't as pretty as the Pre's multitasking, but it's still functional. Plus, coming from no multitasking, this is a big improvement for the iphone.
    Yeah, it's not true multitasking as it pauses other apps when it can. Also, it's limited to 7 apps at a time.

I think you're right. Something seemed a little fishy about the "services" that Apple is describing. I can't wait for additional analysis.

And, it really does seem like some people are simply anxious to say that Palm is dead...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Interesting thing that Steve just brought up.

Integration into automobiles, everyone seems to overlook how well Apple has integrated iPod into vehicles from several manufacturers autos.

The whole iPhone ecosystem is amazing

When have you ever seen "Palm WebOS" advertised in a car brochure? Home Audio Receiver?
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    To be honest, if Verizon gets the multi-tasking iPhone, Palm is toast without a deep-pocketed buyer.

The Pre lacks features that competitors have right now (voice-activated dialing, ability to read bar codes, thousands and thousands of apps) and Apple just took the multi-tasking advantage away.

Synergy? Would Palm please stop hyping that. I know many people who have no intention of ever adding their LinkedIn or Facebook contacts to their primary contact directory. Heck, I cut my Facebook friend list in half recently and there are still many people who I don't want in my contact list. Nothing against them, but they are online acquaintances, not true friends. Good people, but not true friends.

Palm needs to start hitting home runs right now. Too small? Don't care. Users should have patience? Don't care. Palm will improve stuff in the future? Don't care.

The average person walking into a store today or this summer only cares what is out when they walk into the store. Palm already had an uphill battle; now the hill just turned into a steep mountain.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCapi View Post
    web os will die out soon
    Please read what I put...

/facepalm
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCapi View Post
    web os will die out soon
    No.
    5. The amount of minutes before this also gets moved to "Other Phones".

Okay, so after thinking about it a little after my initial reaction, it seems that the iPhone way of multitasking is nearly identical to the multitasking I had on my Garnet (PalmOS) phone years ago.

It's not actually multitasking, but multithreading. You can have a thread for the media player going in the background, while you're in another app. You can have a thread connected for IM/ Skype, and then get a notification to pop up when you get an IM to bring you back to the application you were running. And then you hold down the home button to list the applications you had open. I know that last part wasn't in the initial Garnet release, but by the end of things, it was definitely included (I think I had it in my 700p and 755p).

This is definitely a huge step forward for Apple, and will be a huge benefit to the users. And Apple is definitely pushing forward with a lot of momentum with every new feature that it adds. But as I said, this isn't new or revolutionary, and isn't better. It's just different.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

What matters the most if how it appears to the enduser. A notepad document is swapped to memory and I can reopen its again (quickly) in the same state I left it, why does it matter (especially in iPhone 4's way of app switching)? Same with games and other apps that don't need a persistent connection to some resource (ie. internet).

In the constructs of the iPhone product this is going to work for their users who will buy millions of iPhones.
    I've gotta say the game center thing is a big blow towards pre and even androids gaming world. It's a system which I was thinking a while ago about and am not surprised it's finally out. ohow they implement it may be a different story though but it's something I'd really like. The multitasking is a bit less intuitive but not much less functionql, if not a bit easier IF it's more then 4 because from the looks, you could be working on an app and have that window open to switch to an app quickly which is not directly next to you. Not sure how they are implementing it yet. So may not be that great. Unfortunately they are making it hard for anyone else as the ui and keyboard are the only diffrences the average consumer will notice, notifications are too, however ours lack push so that's a minus. I hope palm ccan take these things (game center and innovate on them and add them ad well as vvm push notifications and better map app.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The game network is a brilliant idea. Anything that immerses you deeper into the ecosystem makes it harder for you to jump willy-nilly when the competition announces new hardware. App purchases, game achievements logged...this stuff is going to keep iPhone users on that platform for some time to come.
    I think Microsoft can crush Apple here. What they're doing with Windows Phone 7, Xbox, and PC gaming, using Visual Studio to develop games for all three platforms at once, and then tie them all together, is vastly superior to anything Apple can do here. And no matter what, there are more Xbox and PC gamers than there are iPhone gamers, and the games on Microsoft's platforms are far superior. People seem to forget just how limited mobile gaming really is compared to the big boys...

The biggest threat to Apple's hegemony, in my opinion, is Microsoft. That is, if Microsoft doesn't step all over themselves and try to mimic iPhone 2.0.
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast