Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    DEADLINE: Before the iPhone0S 4.0 is announced: Predictions; What Palm should do.

You can hate it or love it, but you very unfortunately just can not ignore it. I speak ofcourse, about the iPhone.

Lets rewind a bit to when iPhone Generation 1 was released. Not in recent history has their been one phone that was so captivating and popular. Especially considering the incredible mediocrity of the product. The iPhone was hailed as a revolutionary product that would change the way we would interact with phones, but was in reality maybe a step or two forward at the most when it came to touch input. The only thing that wasn't seen before was pinch-to-zoom. Agreed, the quality of their touch-screen was great, but by no means was the Human Computer Interaction anything extraordinary. But the phone itself and its features and specs paled in comparison to the international market leaders of the day ( N95 for example): No multitasking, a pathetic camera (without a flash), ran a relatively primitive underclocked processor were just some of its shortcomings. Not to mention, the iPhone OS was very basic: Just a grid of apps.

Then to understand why people said that it was 'revolutionary', you must consider the location where it got its popularity: The USA, and the USA has been unequivocally backward to Europe and Asia. And if Steve Jobs says its revolutionary, more than half of america is going to believe him because they never saw the P800s, P900s, N85s (that us Asians used), and if a majorirty of America is going to believe him, then you can rest assured a majority of the world will as unfortunately people don't really think for themselves.

Two Generations later, the iPhone has improved considerably (on the inside) to now be a decent phone. The big industry backing of Apple has seen its Appstore grow humongous and is probably the only thing worth envying. Still as far as features go, it falls behind the current smartphone champs: Palm Pre Plus, Nexus One and Motorola Droid. Notice the picture above and try to find external differences between the two generations. You can't. Two iterations later, Apple has still kept the ridiculous old big-slab-of-a-phone exterior on the iPhone and it yet continues to win masses. The exterior of the phone when compared with a device like the Palm Pre Plus looks like something from a decade ago. If the Palm Pre Plus was the Megan Fox of smartphones, the iPhone is certainly Rosie O'donnel.

I think this is going to change today. Apple, I believe, has realized they can no longer ride on their brand image to sell iPhones at least. (They can still so totally do that with the iPad and they are). If Apple wishes to remain at the 'top' of the American smartphone sales, then they now <i>have</i> to innovate.

Wether it is the amazing leaps forward in HCI shown by Palm and its webOS or the widget-toting, live wallpapered, multitasking Android, the iPhoneOS has fallen further <i>behind</i>. IF they do not now spring forward, people are undoubtedly going to awaken from their trance and see the iPhone OS for what it really is: backward. How is there even any comparison with the iPhoneOS which is just a grid of generic icons to the widget clad, live wallpapered homescreen(s) of Android 2.1 phones or even to the skinnable webOS OS. It doesn't hold a candle. If Apple hasn't realized this to the greatest extent possible they are stupider than I thought.

Of course, I am the happy one with if 4.0 is a piece of s***, but i doubt I am going to have that pleasure. I think with 4.0 they are finally going to have something on their screens that I will respect at least. So here are something I think Apple are going to introduce:

a) Multitasking: This is something Nokia and Symbian nailed eons ago, and the Palm Pre Plus does very well. Android's got it too. Its a no-brainer that 4.0 is going to finally introduce real multitasking. How are they going to implement it? I think it is possible that they are perhaps going to steal webOS's implementation. The other guess would be an Expose style interface for multitasking. The safest bet would be an Alt-Tab type of interface for switching between apps. But Apple might suprise us with a unique implementation. I am in too much of hurry to get this out to think up what they might put out.

b) Better Hardware: Again a no-brainer. With the Nexus One using a 1GHz processor and slew of such phones coming out (HTC HD 2, HTC Evo 4G) Apple has to put a >=1GHz processor on there and they are probably going to. The sceen is going to get a boost in terms of pixels and perhaps even size. The camera is going to be upgraded to 5 MP or even higher. It is very possible for them to throw in a 7MP in there. As far as the general exterior goes, I doubt their will be significant changes. I would be suprised if they prove me wrong and I feel they need to if they wanna still be attractive to the masses.

c) Miscellaneous improvements: There are going to be some minor improvements here and there, I unfortunately do not have time before the event to cover these in any depth.

One thing is almost certain, the event today is going to affect the smartphone industry for sure, because that is just how much Apple and ots product is played up and given importance (more than anything else). Let us hope no matter what they do, Android is going to be able to counter it and continue its march to the top of the most widely used smartphone in the USA. With all that said, lets move to Palm and what they should do to their webOS to 1 up the iPhone 4.0.

What Palm Should do with webOS is coming soon (by tonight)
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Roll over? Just kidding, I'm all for competition but my problem with palm is they aren't a competing product. They have one feature that is clearly superior (multitasking) but after a year of being out there they've done nothing to prove they're capable of competing with apple, google or even MS.

Personally, i'm glad OS 4.0 gives multitasking because it will finally shut up the pre segment that thinks multitasking is enough to declare "the pre is better than everything else". Multitasking is important but only if you've got quality apps worth multitasking between.

The OS isn't what's neede to "1up" apple. Palms problem is hardware and apps which they can't fix that easily.
    Last edited by Urkel; 04/08/2010 at 12:33 PM.
    Seeing that Apple's announcement is today, Palm doesn't need to do anything. They need to continue to focus on their upcoming new device and hopefully new form factor that includes much BETTER hw, especially on the quality side.

Palm's CEO spoke to CNN Money yesterday and put all the cards on the table was very candid about what's right and what's wrong with Palm. Very honest interview. It's good to hear a CEO speak the way he did. He didn't sugar-coat anything. I like that approach.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    WebOS already better then IPhone OS. So what Palm need to now is more sales. Let the sales go wild and software developers will surely love to make more decent app for WebOS.

Beside that.. Palm need to do more better QC on their production. So later product should not have much hardware failure.

Other thing.. that need to be done.. is make another advance device. Even not to urgent IMO, but Palm will get more attention from carriers, competitors, and customers if they do this.
    Far more people purchased iPhones than had used Macs. So that sort of defies the common opinion on Pre-Central that Apple's customers are such devotees they just buy anything Jobs launches: this was the first Apple product for many people.

I can't get over how many people here look at the hardware and specs and declare the iPhone crap, and its users "lemmings." When in fact what Apple offers is a user experience that is not even touched (for the average phone user) by any other phone.

Are there better phones? If the criteria is customizability, open structure etc? Probably.

But clearly the average user has a different definition.

Heck, if there is an iPhone forum like out on the web, I don't even know where it is; I have never needed one! I spend more time trying to help my SO with his Pre than I have ever spent on the iPhone.

I think I am more typical of a consumer than many of you.
    if by "typical" u mean "brainwashed" then yeah you're right....i totally agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by notalexrz View Post
    if by "typical" u mean "brainwashed" then yeah you're right....i totally agree.
    What am I "brainwashed" about?

I have a phone that works for the most part without patches, endless research, jailbreaking, etc.

Is that what I am "brainwashed" to want? versus, wanting a science project?

I don't doubt there is a market for people who want the latter, and I don't begrudge wanting a different experience, at all. More options are better for everyone.

But I don't think "brainwash" means what you think it means....
    not sure how u can call webos a science project...it's probably the easiest phone to use...right out of the box. maybe your SO needs to downgrade to a dumbphone instead since he has trouble understanding his pre. and having the ability to add patches doesnt mean that u have to....the phone works perfectly good without them (it even multitasks without them....cool huh!). and speaking of "jailbreaking"...didn't the iphone invent that???
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Far more people purchased iPhones than had used Macs. So that sort of defies the common opinion on Pre-Central that Apple's customers are such devotees they just buy anything Jobs launches: this was the first Apple product for many people.
    That's just absolutely ridiculous. The iPod was in probably hundreds of millions of users' hands before that.
    " maybe your SO needs to downgrade to a dumbphone instead since he has trouble understanding his pre."

He might need to. For god's sake, he works for the airlines, and is a sociology major. Not IT. LOL.

Like i said, I don't begrudge the fun a techie person has with that kind of stuff, the desire to have a phone that accommodates it.

That's just not a large audience.

And his phone was NOT easy to use out of the box. Not AT ALL. He's on his third and he has problems listening to music and the phone itself randomly turns off. And so much for multi-tasking: it crashes when more than one thing is open.

Granted, we (and i say we, because I did most of it) fixed many of these by reading through these forums but most phone users don't think of finding forums for their PHONE, of all things.
    i admit...there are a few phones out there prone to bugs (like the restarting u mentioned)...but 90% of them work perfectly fine. sorry to hear that he had the unfortunate luck of being stuck with one of those phones. and what's worse is that people who arent around the phones often only have that one cursed phone to base their opinions on...or what they read in forums like these (trust me...all the people that are happy with their phones dont come here and let the whole world know). i do hope that he has better luck with his next phone though.
    >>That's just absolutely ridiculous. The iPod was in probably hundreds of millions of users' hands before that.>>

Yes, you are right. iPod was such a mass product, though, I don't necessarily think of iPod users are fan****. I just think of them as music lovers. I think of the Mac fans as more of the Apple devotees. Don't you?

Just because someone uses an iPod, I don't think that makes them an Apple fan....

But of course you're, right: many of them were iPod users, only because most people are, period.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    >>That's just absolutely ridiculous. The iPod was in probably hundreds of millions of users' hands before that.>>

Yes, you are right. iPod was such a mass product, though, I don't necessarily think of iPod users are fan****. I just think of them as music lovers. I think of the Mac fans as more of the Apple devotees. Don't you?

Just because someone uses an iPod, I don't think that makes them an Apple fan....

But of course you're, right: many of them were iPod users, only because most people are, period.
    But what you're ignoring is that that was the initial hook with the first iPhone. While yes, the user interface was pretty revolutionary to what we had at the time, the first iPhone was a crappy smartphone that people bought because it was a phone and iPod in one. It wasn't until OS 2.0 that it really came into its own as a smartphone.

I'm not saying these people are Apple devotees or anything of the sort. I'm saying they already had that initial hook in place to push the iPhone into the market.
    Palm needs to get it's phones and the message about webOS out to the mainstream, FAST. Much faster and more effectively than it has been doing.

iPhone and Android are continually stealing all the spotlight. Why? They know how to get the message out to the mainstream, where Palm just fails.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    >I'm not saying these people are Apple devotees or anything of the sort. I'm saying they already had that initial hook in place to push the iPhone into the market.

I know you're not saying that, but I read over and over in these forums that the only reason Apple succeeds is because they have "brainwashed" people or have fans who are so devoted they buy anything Apple produces. I dispute that.

that people liked their iPod, and as a result, were inclined to try their phone is not the same thing as blindly buying anything by a company. Palm has similar devotees from people who liked the Treo, right?
    well IOS 4.0 will definitely ups the ante....nice improvements.....multitasking, unified mailbox, multiple Exchange accounts, more Enterprise support, folders, gamecenter...and if they release a VZW iPhone..they will dominate the domestic market too....

btw, nothing wrong with liking Apple products...in most cases they make products that have great aesthetic value and quality....Sony products also enjoy the same type of enthusiasm...

calling people brainwashed or ******* is so immature....
    The biggest problem I have with Apple and heavy Apple users is their intense smugness. Apple makes good products and they are very thoughtful about how they present themselves and how the end user is going to experience their products. However, when Apple announces something, they tend to give off the air that they are going to change the world or they found a totally new use for something. 9 times out of 10 they are just copying or heavily borrowing someone else's idea and the idea's creator gets the shaft.

In their address they showed off how if you switch out of game it auto pauses and Jobs says "Pretty cool, huh?" and then everybody cheers. I am sorry but Palm has been doing this for a several months now and no one took any notice. Also, many Apple users have told me that multitasking is just not needed as you can easily navigate by opening and closing apps. Yet, when I read the engadget comments people claim how Apple has just changed the game with their multitasking. It makes me kind of sick. Too many people, not everyone, take Apple as some God like company and can't see any of their faults.

Another thing, why hasn't Apple been sued heavily for anti-competitive practices? I mean, Microsoft got sued for shipping IE on their OS in EU, but no one blinks when Apple refuses to let another browsers be installed on their Mobile platform? Does OSX ship with browsers besides Safari pre installed? No it doesn't, but they are not held to the same standards as MS, when time and time again Safari has been shown to have so many security holes.

Sorry for the rant, I needed to vent a little.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    itunes was the hook. Wmp was a nightmare, other propietary sync and mgmt programs were nothing to write home about. Itunes made getting music onto a portable device as ***** proof as possible. Once they tied people into itunes you pretty much live and died with an ipod. Your music is in a proprietaru format and you couldn't easily switch to anything else easily bringing your library with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    The biggest problem I have with Apple and heavy Apple users is their intense smugness. Apple makes good products and they are very thoughtful about how they present themselves and how the end user is going to experience their products. However, when Apple announces something, they tend to give off the air that they are going to change the world or they found a totally new use for something. 9 times out of 10 they are just copying or heavily borrowing someone else's idea and the idea's creator gets the shaft.
    I can see why you'd call that smugness (and I don't disagree) but I see it as taking pride in their work. It's tough to deny that Apple's implementations of features tend to be the best of breed -- cut and paste and universal search in iPhone OS 3.0 are still the best methods of doing both in the mobile space -- and it takes a unique type of attitude to set the bar so high without sacrificing usability.

As for the smugness of the userbase...people are going to evangelize whatever platform they've adopted. Look at this forum. The prevailing attitude is "everything that isn't WebOS sucks because it's not WebOS." Hell, someone basically called Finngirl a lemming with a ******** boyfriend in this post alone simply because their experience with the Pre doesn't coincide with his.
    IRT the original post - Palm needs to fix voice dialing via bluetooth - that lack is literally an embarrassment. Apple is set up to command the market on all voice related software, speech to text, voice recording, etc., and I can't voice-dial anything. I still cannot believe the Pre has come this far and STILL doesn't have that basic capability.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast