Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was driving into work this morning when on the radio they were talking about the new HP Slate to go on sale in January.

- 2 Cameras
    - USB Port
    - Lighter than Ipad
    - Windows 7
    - 16:9 Screen Ratio
    - Supports Flash
    - Cellular Connection for less than ($629 Apple charges for an equivalent iPad)

Now that's a tablet. I haven't seen CPU specs but i'm definately impressed. And if it's tru that Microsoft will not support Office for Ipad this will mean this tablet will trump over Ipad with ability to have Microsoft Office.

Last edited by 05typesdc5; 04/08/2010 at 09:01 AM.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    I'm not an iPad fan, but specs don't say much. It's how the package is put together. But just from the "specs" posted, i don't see how that differentiates it from a netbook, aside from it being a tablet.

Curious though... what is the point of 2 cameras?
    CPU is going to be the Atom Z530 (1.6GHz). Unfortunately, it's limited to 1GB RAM, which is my biggest issue with it, but the biggest thing is that it's said to have pen/digitizer support, which is huge.

HP Slate to cost $549, have 1.6GHz Atom Z530, 5 hour battery? -- Engadget
    it goes on sale in jan???? that's kinda showing up late to the game. It would be nice if it came out a lot sooner so that apple wouldnt have a chance to keep saying it's ipad is so "revolutionary" for the next few months.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbooxide View Post
    Curious though... what is the point of 2 cameras?
    The point of two cameras is a front-facing one for Skype and other forms of video-conferencing, and a rear one for taking pictures with.

I probably wouldn't use either, but that's what the intention is.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The point of two cameras is a front-facing one for Skype and other forms of video-conferencing, and a rear one for taking pictures with.

I probably wouldn't use either, but that's what the intention is.
    i wasn't sure if that was a real question or someone being a smartbutt

7.    #7  
    CPU is going to be the Atom Z530 (1.6GHz). Unfortunately, it's limited to 1GB RAM, which is my biggest issue with it, but the biggest thing is that it's said to have pen/digitizer support, which is huge.

HP Slate to cost $549, have 1.6GHz Atom Z530, 5 hour battery? -- Engadget
    thanks for posting the link, a huge plus for me is Windows 7, i love everything about this OS, and i know if this tablet can support 7 then the possibilities for what can be done w/ it are endless.

now that i think about it 1.6 seems nice now, jan 2011, not so much, by then they should be at a dual cored processor. lol well at least in my book, but def better than ipad.

The battery life is going to be a abysmal comparatively. Honestly Windows needs to be retooled from the ground up to run on a touch interface, or Win Phone 7 needs to be modified to work on tablets.

Anything short of that is going to be a disappointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    The battery life is going to be a abysmal comparatively. Honestly Windows needs to be retooled from the ground up to run on a touch interface, or Win Phone 7 needs to be modified to work on tablets.

Anything short of that is going to be a disappointment.
    I said this elsewhere, but I love how 5 hours is now all of a sudden abysmal. Of course an ARM tablet is going to get much more battery life than an Atom / x86 tablet, and 5 hours (if it does hit that mark) would be pretty amazing for x86 in that small of a form factor.

This will supposedly be running HP's custom TouchSmart software on top of Windows 7. I'd take Windows 7's pen and touch features over the iPad's touch only any day though.

As for Windows Phone 7 being modified for tablets, that's what most of the recent rumors about Courier have said. It'll use the same Windows CE base as Windows Phone 7 but with a pen and touch interface designed specifically for the device.
    I said this elsewhere, but I love how 5 hours is now all of a sudden abysmal. Of course an ARM tablet is going to get much more battery life than an Atom / x86 tablet, and 5 hours (if it does hit that mark) would be pretty amazing for x86 in that small of a form factor.

This will supposedly be running HP's custom TouchSmart software on top of Windows 7. I'd take Windows 7's pen and touch features over the iPad's touch only any day though.

As for Windows Phone 7 being modified for tablets, that's what most of the recent rumors about Courier have said. It'll use the same Windows CE base as Windows Phone 7 but with a pen and touch interface designed specifically for the device.
    You can thank Apple for that. I've been rolling with the iPad for 5 days now, and I consistently get 13-14 hrs on a charge.

Sure on the pen, different strokes, i get that. I wouldn't expect the custom ui to be all that great. We'll see. Based on all of the Win tablets ive used in the past 7 years, I'm not expecting a whole hell of a lot. Android or Chromium have a better shot IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    You can thank Apple for that. I've been rolling with the iPad for 5 days now, and I consistently get 13-14 hrs on a charge.
    Like I said, you really can't compare a ARM device to an x86 device directly. I realize the iPad gets outstanding battery life, as you'd expect from an ARM processor with no cell radio and only Wifi/BT to worry about, but even the Atom still will be much faster.

Just look at the Anandtech review of the iPad: the Atom blows away the iPad in page rendering and Javascript benchmarks. It's an apples and oranges comparison. It'd be like saying a Kindle gets 10 days of battery, how come the iPad can't keep up?
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    thanks for posting the link, a huge plus for me is Windows 7, i love everything about this OS, and i know if this tablet can support 7 then the possibilities for what can be done w/ it are endless.
    Unfortunately the possibilities end abruptly with 1gb of RAM. Windows 7, while an improvement over Windows Vista, still requires a minimum of 2 gb to be reasonable useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Unfortunately the possibilities end abruptly with 1gb of RAM. Windows 7, while an improvement over Windows Vista, still requires a minimum of 2 gb to be reasonable useful.
    Disagree. My tc1100 has 1.5GB and it works very well in Windows 7. I've used a PC with 1GB RAM that works reasonably well in 7 as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer 2GB, but saying that it needs 2GB to be useful is a bit of a stretch.

I had an HP Tablet PC running Windows XP Tablet edition. I hated having to keep getting the pen out and ultimately ended up just using it as a latptop.

I spent about 90 minutes playing with an iPad at the Apple store today. While it certainly cannot replace my netbook, I found it a very enjoyable way of surfing the web, playing music and videos and reading ebooks. Much better than my netbook for those tasks. The email app wasn't bad either. I will probably pick one up, its not going to take up much extra space.
    Well of course you have the right to that opinion, as everyone's different. Though the HP slate is said to have pen and touch, so to you that might be slightly more convenient than only the pen like the early HP tablets had.

Have you tried entering text on the iPad though? A friend picked one up, and I found the onscreen keyboard to be only slightly better than the Windows 7 one, which is to say slightly worse than awful.

I would take handwriting recognition over that any day, though of course a keyboard is faster.

Mainly, it depends on what you want to do with the device. For the short types of text entry that I'd do on a tablet, handwriting recognition is better for me, though obviously for anything extended I'd use a real keyboard. But with the pen, you also have the option of handwritten notes and other types of content that you can really only do with a pen. I personally would prefer the option.

I mean, Steve Jobs honestly has it wrong on this one, in my opinion. It's not a failure if you have to use a pen, it's another option that allows for some things you just can't otherwise do. I mean, there's a reason people use a pen and paper and not fingerpainting.
    Have you tried entering text on the iPad though? A friend picked one up, and I found the onscreen keyboard to be only slightly better than the Windows 7 one, which is to say slightly worse than awful.

I would take handwriting recognition over that any day, though of course a keyboard is faster.

Mainly, it depends on what you want to do with the device. For the short types of text entry that I'd do on a tablet, handwriting recognition is better for me, though obviously for anything extended I'd use a real keyboard. But with the pen, you also have the option of handwritten notes and other types of content that you can really only do with a pen. I personally would prefer the option.

I mean, Steve Jobs honestly has it wrong on this one, in my opinion. It's not a failure if you have to use a pen, it's another option that allows for some things you just can't otherwise do. I mean, there's a reason people use a pen and paper and not fingerpainting.
    I did try entering text on the iPad and didn't particularly enjoy it. However, it still worked better than any handwriting recognition I have tried including my old HP Tablet. That said, my handwriting is terrible and I can barely read it myself. I rarely use a pen and paper. However, the iPad is more about reading than writing. Its a great eReader for both eBooks and Web based books and newspapers.
    I am definitely interested in this product, it beats the maxipad hands down.
    Just look at the Anandtech review of the iPad: the Atom blows away the iPad in page rendering and Javascript benchmarks. It's an apples and oranges comparison. It'd be like saying a Kindle gets 10 days of battery, how come the iPad can't keep up?
    That is an important point. An eInk eReader has a fantastic battery life. My Sony PRS-300 fits in my Pocket and the battery can last a couple of weeks. Its only any good for reading novels though. The Kindle DX can be used for formatted documents or PDFs and even has a web browser. Unfortunately it costs as much as an iPad and can't display color.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I did try entering text on the iPad and didn't particularly enjoy it. However, it still worked better than any handwriting recognition I have tried including my old HP Tablet. That said, my handwriting is terrible and I can barely read it myself. I rarely use a pen and paper. However, the iPad is more about reading than writing. Its a great eReader for both eBooks and Web based books and newspapers.
    You might want to at least give the handwriting a try in Vista and 7. I hear the recognition is much improved in Vista (though I never used XP Tablet edition to compare to) and it's even better in 7.

I've got terrible handwriting as well, and I get pretty much 99% accuracy.
    I am still not a fan of the form factor and size of these devices for it to be worthwhile for me to buy one, but this does look pretty cool and would have far more features than the iPad.
    Joe Dirt: Well, I see you got those snakes and sparklers. But where's the good stuff man?
    Kicking Wing: Good stuff? This is the good stuff, snakes and sparklers.
    Joe Dirt: Are you nuts dude? You need stuff that'll explode. Go *boom*!
    Kicking Wing: Why is that good?
    Joe Dirt: Well, huh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast