Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    As for saying that the HP Slate is like a netbook without a keyboard, that's a huge oversimplification. I've said repeatedly, but the biggest advantage the HP Slate has is the pen functionality.
    The Pen functionality is clearly a major plus for you. I don't think the market for Pen functionality is that large though. My old HP tablet (same vintage as your tc1100) ended up being used as a small laptop after the pen novelty wore off. OTOH touch based functionality was not supported on that device.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    OTOH touch based functionality was not supported on that device.
    Yes, but touch will be supported on the HP Slate.

I actually agree with you in some aspect on this. I greatly prefer that my Dell XT has multitouch and pen functionality (like rumored about the HP Slate). There's some actions that feel right with touch (scrolling, simple navigation), and others that feel right with the pen, and you get the option of both with the Slate.

My TC1100 doesn't have touch and I definitely do miss it on that device though. But it is more portable than my XT, so for eBook reading and note-taking I'm more likely to use that.
    And barkerja, who in their right mind is going to code via an onscreen keyboard anyway? Because you know, according to another poster, if you're going to hook up a keyboard, why not buy a laptop then?
    Yes, because having a mini bluetooth keyboard is so cumbersome. I'd much rather tote an iPad with a small bluetooth keyboard in my bag (only ~1.5lbs) versus my Macbook Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Yes, because having a mini bluetooth keyboard is so cumbersome. I'd much rather tote an iPad with a small bluetooth keyboard in my bag (only ~1.5lbs) versus my Macbook Pro.
    Ha, no I agree there, but just someone else said that if you're going to use a keyboard, you might as well get a laptop.
    Ha, no I agree there, but just someone else said that if you're going to use a keyboard, you might as well get a laptop.
    I can understand that argument, but they're seeing past the versatileness of portability and battery life. It's nice going to a coffee shop and being able to sit there for a couple of hours and not have to worry about charging.
    Uh, yes. It works out very well, actually. I only lose about 1 percent of my battery life every 1-2 hours in sleep mode. Though I also do have the option of multiple batteries, another choice not possible on anything Apple. Of course, not sure if that'll be the case on the HP Slate.
    I don't want to call you a liar here, so instead I will ask you, what make and model laptop do you own? I have serious doubts about your battery estimates.
    Kudos to you jhoff. You can be critical of the ipad, but have kept things very civil dispite your detractors' less than polite attacks. A shining example of this forum.

With that said, I have an ipad and I tell my friends not to look at it as a laptop that does less, but an eReader that does more. I bought it specifically to read comics and it does that extremely well. Book reading is great too. And since it also plays games and surfs the net, I personally feel it does more for me than I expect it to.

It cannot replace a desktop, but it is much easier to handle, view videos, and read on than a netbook.
    What has really eeked me is everything that everyone is quick to to assume that it can't do.

- It doesn't have a physical keyboard: you're right, it doesn't but it has the option through a dock or bluetooth.
    - It can't edit docs: Wrong. There's a full suite of document editing tools for everything from word doc to spreadsheets, to power points.
    - You can't replace the battery: you won't need to, trust me.
    - You can't multitask: Like I said from the very beginning, this will come with a software update (ahem, OS4).

There are others that people are quick to jump the gun on but are wrong. With anything Apple, people around here seem to want to nitpick, almost as if they're jealous.
    What has really eeked me is everything that everyone is quick to to assume that it can't do.

- It doesn't have a physical keyboard: you're right, it doesn't but it has the option to have through a dock or bluetooth.
    - It can't edit docs: Wrong. There's a full suite of document editing tools for everything from word doc to spreadsheets, to power points.
    - You can't replace the battery: you won't need to, trust me.
    - You can't multitask: Like I said from the very beginning, this will come with a software update (ahem, OS4).

There are others that people are quick to jump the gun on but are wrong. With anything Apple, people around here seem to want to nitpick, almost as if they're jealous.

Even worse, when some people question how somebody else can justify spending their money on an iPad just because they don't like one. Just crazy stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I don't want to call you a liar here, so instead I will ask you, what make and model laptop do you own? I have serious doubts about your battery estimates.
    Not that I feel the need to prove myself, but I just tested to confirm my numbers, on my HP TC1100 tablet, a 1.0GHz Pentium-M, 1.5GHz RAM, with a cheap no-name SSD, and Windows 7.

I put the tablet into standby when the battery was at 99.0%, measured using the (much more accurate than Windows power meter) freeware BatteryBar.

At 2 hours, 1 minute, 43 seconds, measured using Stopwatch / Timer on the Pre, I turned it back on, and lo and behold the battery was at 97.3%. (Also, for the interest of full disclosure, that does include the 10 seconds it took me to enter in my password- it's too bad that there probably won't be a fingerprint reader on the Slate because that's much more convenient if you tend to use a longer / more complex password.)

That'd be a drain of 0.838 percent per hour of the device being on standby, which would be well within my estimate of 1% per 1-2 hours. For details on the battery itself, it's reporting a capacity of ~35,000 mWh, and it's an 11.1V battery, so the capacity could also be said as ~3150 mAh.

I'd test my Dell Mini 9, but I don't care enough to. Similarly, I'd have used my main tablet, a Dell Latitude XT for the test, but I've been using it all day.

Even worse, when some people question how somebody else can justify spending their money on an iPad just because they don't like one. Just crazy stuff.
    Oh, yeah, that's exactly what I said in this thread, and even if that's what you took from it, I already clearly stated that if I implied that, it wasn't my intent. Besides, it's just as great as when people come into a thread about another device that they see no need for to post about how much better another option is.

I dislike the iPad for myself. You don't see me going around to every iPad related post and extolling the virtues of the HP Slate.

As I already mentioned, for whatever reason or another, the people interested in the HP Slate already have made the decision they don't want the iPad. They're two very different tablets with very different usage paradigms. I get that you prefer the iPad, but someone who prefers the iPad won't be considering the Slate, as you already have proved repeatedly. Do we really need any more posts comparing the two?

I mean, I admit I've been guilty of extending the arguments myself in this thread, but it's getting a little ridiculous.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 04/14/2010 at 03:19 PM.
    In my opinion, the problem with the hp slate it's software... It can't compete with Ipad on this point, althought Ipad has serious hardware lacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas92 View Post
    In my opinion, the problem with the hp slate it's software... It can't compete with Ipad on this point, althought Ipad has serious hardware lacks.
    In regards to what? No one is still entirely clear on what the iPad has for internals.

Really two good blog posts to read:
    Apple iPad: 'Intel Outside' - steve's blog
    The Genius in Apple's Vertical Platform - steve's blog

The speculation is that the latest SDK changes (in regards to cross-compilers) is due to the hardware that's being used and the changes coming in OS4 that make use of the new hardware. Read the posts above and you'll understand.
    Its out in the wild and unimpressive...HP Slate leaks its way into the wild: 'meh' -- Engadget
    Its out in the wild and unimpressive...HP Slate leaks its way into the wild: 'meh' -- Engadget
    Hate to say it, but I called it. :P

Netbook with no keyboard. Lamesauce.
    The iPad DJ - Ipad dj - Gizmodo <- Pretty impressive.
    And what does that have to do with the HP Slate exactly?
    As someone who uses that sort of DAW and beatmaking software regularly....I gotta say...it's far from impressive. Not that the potential isn't there, but to buy a $500 device x 2 to replace a Korg Electribe worth a couple hundred at best and some loop chopping/generating software makes no sense when you need that much additional gear to make it viable and audible.

A $400 ultraportable with Ableton Live LE and maybe Reason could do pretty much everything she's doing better.

Maybe iPad will get some better apps and input/output stuff down the line. I doubt it. It would basically slowly turn it into a keyboardless laptop.
    The HP Slate with a wacom digitizer and OneNote is the computer I have been looking for for years. A spec sheet from HP mentionned the Slate supports digitizers, but they have been nowhere to be found so far.

Maybe the next iteration will have it, along with faster specs. It would be amazing for light Photoshop drawing too.

iPad is better for many things. But for light Photoshopping and OneNote, it's pretty useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by tk 421 View Post
    The HP Slate with a wacom digitizer and OneNote is the computer I have been looking for for years. A spec sheet from HP mentionned the Slate supports digitizers, but they have been nowhere to be found so far.

Maybe the next iteration will have it, along with faster specs. It would be amazing for light Photoshop drawing too.
    I agree pretty much entirely with this part; as I already mentioned, the biggest thing that gave me interest in the HP Slate was the potential for a digitizer, but everything else I've seen about it suggests that might not be the case (with a big reason being that we simply haven't even seen a pen silo in the case).

If it turns out to not have it, my interest goes back to zero, and I'll wait for maybe the Courier or something else.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast