Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HTC Hero with Google Android that is. Did I make a stupid choice in picking the Pre? Don't get me wrong, I love the Pre! I like the customization, the little tweaks and all that but sometimes it IS really annoying that every app, site, and other things have been made and optimized for the iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, while the Palm Pre just has to wait for other things to catch up. And plus with all this news about Palm tanking and their stock sucking balls, why would developers care about us? Just a little mini-rant. Viva Pre!
    I came from the G1 and understand a bit of what your saying. However Palm stocks are up 15%. Apps are starting to be ported to the Pre and big players are starting to port their programs over to the Pre (gameloft). Besides try playing a 3D game on a Hero, and compare it to the Pre. Developers still care about us because their is easy money to be made on the million or so Pres out their. We at PreCentral are just a small bunch.
    Back to your bridge evil troll you have no powers here.
    HTC Hero is basically the same guts at the HTC Magic, except it's running Android with the processor heavy Sense UI. It doesn't perform to say the least. It's super laggy and barely runs the pretty Sense UI. I'd say if you're itching for an Android Phone wait for the EVO4G. The Hero was a paperweight when it came out, it'll be even more so when the EVO4G hits.
    What apps do you currently need/want that Android or iPhone has and the Pre doesn't? Sure, the larger choice in apps is nice, but that doesn't mean the webOS doesn't have a similar app to what you're looking for.

As for sites, I'm pretty sure the really popular ones formatted for the iphone, will look the same on the Pre.
    -I'm guessing it's not too late, you've got 30 days to change your mind.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Well I have both phones active and the Pre is much better at multitasking and processing than the Hero. I wanted to try both and constantly go back to my Pre! There are more apps for the Android platform, but IMO, they are mostly crap apps, books, and childrens themes! Add that to that fact that we get updates on average once a month, and I have yet to get an update on Andriod and I would say that you made a wise choice depending on what your needs are.
    I bought the Hero when it came out on 10-11, On 10-23 I bought a Touch Pro 2 and the Hero has since been collecting dust, That phone was very BETA, and doesnt have alot of feature the Pre does. Wont go back to Android for a while....NO not even for the Evo, Their app's are horrible, Who wants a buncha soundboards and farting app's...Same for you apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by relic419 View Post
    What apps do you currently need/want that Android or iPhone has and the Pre doesn't? Sure, the larger choice in apps is nice, but that doesn't mean the webOS doesn't have a similar app to what you're looking for.

As for sites, I'm pretty sure the really popular ones formatted for the iphone, will look the same on the Pre.
    priority: shazaam and document editing

would be nice: record phone calls, better google app apps (like google maps)

wishful but not possible: a real compass would be very useful for me (emphasis on for me)

...still webOS is light years ahead of iphone OS (at least for now, we'll see come tomorrow) and Android, we just don't have the dough & support (from developers or what Palm has made available, i.e. APIs)

I will say, all this death of Palm will and is already taking effect. Potential customers that don't surf precentral are being told this phone won't be around long. Powerful phones like Evo and Palm's silence don't help.

I'm happy though, I can have any phone I want and right now it remains the Pre.

Regardless of presentation, this post is based entirely on my opinion
    Last edited by sonso; 04/07/2010 at 05:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafy0003 View Post
    I bought the Hero when it came out on 10-11, On 10-23 I bought a Touch Pro 2 and the Hero has since been collecting dust, That phone was very BETA, and doesnt have alot of feature the Pre does. Wont go back to Android for a while....NO not even for the Evo, Their app's are horrible, Who wants a buncha soundboards and farting app's...Same for you apple.
    Yet, if you took away all the ebook "apps" in the WebOS app market, that'd leave you with what, maybe 1,000 apps? Every application store/market/place is going to be saturated with terrible applications, it's not about the quantity as much as it is the quality... which is something WebOS is lacking at the moment. There are VERY few apps on WebOS right now that worth more than free, but then again, I guess that's all based on personal valuation. I appreciate a good user experience more than the average person I suppose. Just my $0.02.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykimdotnet View Post
    HTC Hero is basically the same guts at the HTC Magic, except it's running Android with the processor heavy Sense UI. It doesn't perform to say the least. It's super laggy and barely runs the pretty Sense UI. I'd say if you're itching for an Android Phone wait for the EVO4G. The Hero was a paperweight when it came out, it'll be even more so when the EVO4G hits.
    My fiance has a Hero and we've never seen any lag on her phone at all.
    Lag... lag, are effin' serious?!? In comparison to what, to an overclocked iPhone 3Gs? Seriously, you want to talk lag, take a look at your own Pre. 3 - 5 seconds to open any app, random touches not being recognized, checkerboard browser, etc. I could go on.

Not here to flame the Pre, but it certainly has it's flaws that everyone here seems to ignore.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Lag... lag, are effin' serious?!? In comparison to what, to an overclocked iPhone 3Gs? Seriously, you want to talk lag, take a look at your own Pre. 3 - 5 seconds to open any app, random touches not being recognized, checkerboard browser, etc. I could go on.

Not here to flame the Pre, but it certainly has it's flaws that everyone here seems to ignore.
    I'm not ignoring the lag on the pre, the pre is running webOS and performance and lag are in accordance to its own hardware limitations. The Hero's lag is completely due to the fact that the qualcomm 528MHz CPU it is sporting cannot capably handle HTC's Sense UI, to a point where a side by side comparison of certain basic functions like calendar run smoother on a G1, than on the Hero. The Sense UI is very pretty and looks amazing on the HTC Desire, Incredible and EVO 4G, with their snapdragon 1GHz processors, but it lags on the Hero, to a point where even a stock Pre would be preferable, especially on sprint.

As far as everyone in this forum ignoring the flaws of the Pre, if you examine the forums a bit more closely or even listen to Palmcast you would know how untrue you last statement actually was.
    They are both great phones...I'm on Verizon and I've used both the Eris and Pre Plus. I've had one Eris and four Pre Plus phones....I've had four bad Pre Plus phones, and yes the fourth had a loose slider and questionable keyboard.
    All that aside, Android sucks without Sense UI that HTC applies to the Hero/Eris. The 2.1 update should greatly improve performance. I put a leaked 2.1 on my Eris and it's much better at multitasking and apps open quicker.
    The Pre Plus really comes alive with the 800mhz patch, otherwise it didn't feel much snappier than my Eris. Believe it or not, I can type faster on the Eris thanks to the predictive text engine that HTC uses.
    also barkerja, my own pre is clocked at 800MHz, substantially faster than the Hero's Qualcomm processor. I'd also appreciate if you not bundle me with those who praise their own phones like they are without flaw as my post did not express this opinion in any way. Frankly I wouldn't be running quite as many patches, or even overclocking my handset if I thought it was without flaw.
    I'm not ignoring the lag on the pre, the pre is running webOS and performance and lag are in accordance to its own hardware limitations. The Hero's lag is completely due to the fact that the qualcomm 528MHz CPU it is sporting cannot capably handle HTC's Sense UI, to a point where a side by side comparison of certain basic functions like calendar run smoother on a G1, than on the Hero. The Sense UI is very pretty and looks amazing on the HTC Desire, Incredible and EVO 4G, with their snapdragon 1GHz processors, but it lags on the Hero, to a point where even a stock Pre would be preferable, especially on sprint.

As far as everyone in this forum ignoring the flaws of the Pre, if you examine the forums a bit more closely or even listen to Palmcast you would know how untrue you last statement actually was.
    I visit the forum religiously everyday (no idea why truthfully) and I see more people ignoring the faults of the Pre when they're brought to the table than those actually admitting to them. But that's beside the point ..

The Hero, I chalk up the terrible performance to 1.5. I have a Hero lying around that I have the leaked Sprint 2.1 ROM running on, and needless to say the difference between 1.5 and 2.1 Android is night and day. The thing is lightening fast.
    My son has the Hero...it's a very good phone. IMO, it's really a toss-up: webOS is slick when multitasking, while the widgets and SenseUI are gorgeous. Unlike others, I've seen no lag with his phone at all.

I'll be considering the updated version (Hero2 / Legend) when it comes out.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I visit the forum religiously everyday (no idea why truthfully) and I see more people ignoring the faults of the Pre when they're brought to the table than those actually admitting to them. But that's beside the point ...
    Indeed it actually never was the point. You brought this up for no real reason frankly it overshadowed any point you were going to make about the Android 2.1 update finally being released to the Hero which I'm sure made the widgets a bit more bearable for the handset, but only brings up another huge disadvantage of using that very device in that updates are severely delayed on the device, and one day soon will probably cease altogether. Speculation is building that Snapdragon might be the new benchmark for Android and lesser devices will fall to the wayside. Basically not only did you have to wait for Sense UI upgrade to even get the wonderful features of Android 2.1, you probably won't be seeing the core functionality of the next iteration. Other major functions starting with Froyo will roll out in the Marketplace, like browser updates and multitouch, but you will still be stuck at Android 2.1.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I do enjoy barkerja's posts.
    Indeed it actually never was the point. You brought this up for no real reason frankly it overshadowed any point you were going to make about the Android 2.1 update finally being released to the Hero which I'm sure made the widgets a bit more bearable for the handset, but only brings up another huge disadvantage of using that very device in that updates are severely delayed on the device, and one day soon will probably cease altogether. Speculation is building that Snapdragon might be the new benchmark for Android and lesser devices will fall to the wayside. Basically not only did you have to wait for Sense UI upgrade to even get the wonderful features of Android 2.1, you probably won't be seeing the core functionality of the next iteration. Other major functions starting with Froyo will roll out in the Marketplace, like browser updates and multitouch, but you will still be stuck at Android 2.1.
    Actually, you're wrong. Google has already announced how they're going to solve the fragmentation problem. They're breaking up the core components/applications of Android and making them updatable via the Marketplace so you're not consistently waiting for your handset maker to deliver updates. It's actually a brilliant plan. You should read up on it ..
    i have both the hero and the pre and as far as i am concerned the pre blows the hero away. With the 800 patch the pre is much smoother then hero.

Fred
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast