Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    i have two phones on my account- a palm pre and a htc hero. i like both, but my next phone (probably june) is most likely going to be an android phone. ymmv of course.

Quote Originally Posted by csquare View Post
    There are more apps for the Android platform, but IMO, they are mostly crap apps, books, and childrens themes! Add that to that fact that we get updates on average once a month, and I have yet to get an update on Andriod and I would say that you made a wise choice depending on what your needs are.
    there are more apps for the hero for sure, and yup, some of them aren't so good, but many or them are. as far as updates, the pre really needed a lot of them just to get basic functionality that the hero had out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafy0003 View Post
    I...and doesnt have alot of feature the Pre does.
    like what?

Quote Originally Posted by jaykimdotnet View Post
    It doesn't perform to say the least. It's super laggy and barely runs the pretty Sense UI.
    the hero has no problem running sense. it does lag at times (get task killer), but really not any more than the pre.

android 2.1 is supposed to bring a pretty decent speed bump to the phone. the nominally faster htc legend (600mhz vs 520mhz qualcomm) supposedly has much better performance.
    HTC Legend Review: Frankly, It Feels Expensive - Htc legend review - Gizmodo

Other major functions starting with Froyo will roll out in the Marketplace, like browser updates and multitouch, but you will still be stuck at Android 2.1.
    luckily htc makes their own improvements as well, so hero has had multitouch since 1.5 :P
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Hero is not polished. Typing on the Hero is horrible compared to iPhone.
    HTC Hero is basically the same guts at the HTC Magic, except it's running Android with the processor heavy Sense UI. It doesn't perform to say the least. It's super laggy and barely runs the pretty Sense UI. I'd say if you're itching for an Android Phone wait for the EVO4G. The Hero was a paperweight when it came out, it'll be even more so when the EVO4G hits.
    Hmmm, the irony is that i could say the same thing you just said and apply it to the Pre as well. The Pre is not snappy and is laggy (more jerky, definitely not smooth) as well. Different folks, different strokes.

In the time that the Pre has been out, HTC already has a replacement for the Hero, the Legend or Hero2 if you will, as well as a myriad of other innovative hardware as well. Pre was announced Jan of 09 (released June of 09) so it's already pushing more than a year in existence. Paperweight is a relative term.......indeed.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I had the Droid Eris for 3 weeks before getting the Pre Plus.

I am glad I changed my phone because using the keyboard in the messenger app was getting very tough. Narrow screen VKBD/rampant auto-correction -> crazy typos.

The portrait physical keyboard is quite good on the Pre.
    I have both phones also and I cant say either phone is extremely fast at doing things. The hero has 2.1 on it and seems faster than the pre. There are some flaws with the pre but there are also flaws with the hero. There both are great phones. A lot of people in this forum for some reason don't like to here the truth sometimes. Just to get a reaistic picture of which phone is better to the masses. Go to the sprint site and check out the ratings on both phone. Some people may be surprised at what they see.
  6.    #26  
    Honestly, if the Palm Pre had the app market of the Android, it'd be perfect. Likewise, if the Android HTC for Sprint had the customization, multitasking, slide-out keyboard, then the HTC Android would be perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Actually, you're wrong. Google has already announced how they're going to solve the fragmentation problem. They're breaking up the core components/applications of Android and making them updatable via the Marketplace so you're not consistently waiting for your handset maker to deliver updates. It's actually a brilliant plan. You should read up on it ..
    I did.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post

In the time that the Pre has been out, HTC already has a replacement for the Hero, the Legend or Hero2 if you will, as well as a myriad of other innovative hardware as well.
    I am not surprised. HTC is not in the business of making operating systems. All they have to do is put their skin on the newer version of Android / WinMo then dump it on a new form factor.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    And folks stop comparing Hero with Pre. Its like apples to oranges. If you really want to compare the Hero , then do it with the iPhone or HD2.
    Document Editing... And no...The classic apps option is not a real option.
    Quote Originally Posted by relic419 View Post
    What apps do you currently need/want that Android or iPhone has and the Pre doesn't? Sure, the larger choice in apps is nice, but that doesn't mean the webOS doesn't have a similar app to what you're looking for.

As for sites, I'm pretty sure the really popular ones formatted for the iphone, will look the same on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    And folks stop comparing Hero with Pre. Its like apples to oranges. If you really want to compare the Hero , then do it with the iPhone or HD2.
    Please. The stock Pre still runs like a 528mhz Qualcomm device, despite its faster guts. When I updated to 1.4.1.1 and it nullified the 800mhz patch, I was reminded of this rather painfully. I have both and have used both extensively.

Otherwise, the Hero is in another, far superior class when it comes to apps, stability, memory management, build quality, and screen quality (oleophobic glass).

People get devices mixed up with operating systems, but they're very different animals. The Hero is a superior device. WebOS is arguably superior to Android with Sense UI, but that's a different argument.

But if you want to believe the Pre - which has tanked at multiple carriers - is in the same class as selling-like-hotcakes handsets like iPhone and HD2, have at it. Rubinstein would love to clone you about 400,000 times or so.
    What the Pre has that the Hero doesn't...Hmm let me start with the obvious for all you blind people out there. The Pre has a keyboard, Hero doesn't. The Pre has 3-d Games, Hero doesn't. When I had the Hero it had a memory leak in the native Text messaging app, Seriously how can you have a problem with STOCK text messaging? The only thing that the Hero has that the Pre doesn't is a trackball, I loved playing pong on the Hero, The only worthwhile game on that phone. Another thing, What is the Hero running? Android 1.5? What 2.6 is already coming out, while some people are about to be on Fro-yo, you Hero guys are rocking a cupcake, another thing is the camera, It doesn't have flash. It maybe 5mp but still what's the use of having a camera if the damn thing doesn't have flash? It's like using a umbrella when it's 75 degrees on a nice summer day. When I was using my Hero it was stocked out and they haven't even rooted the thing yet, It may or it should be better now, but compared to a Pre. Matter of fact, It doesn't compare to one...Period. Pre's app's are great, the one's that I need. I have my Rss feed's for Feed's Free, my twitter goes to Twee, All my instant messages are through the stock messaging, Although you have to install patches to enable hidden one's. Another thing that the Hero sucks at is Web browsing, Have you guys checked the Speed of an Htc Hero compared to a Pre? Try and downloading a 400 mb file, Or even a 100 mb file on the Pre and the Hero in full coverage, The Pre's downloading speed is ridiculous. Seriously, I can simultaneously download big files on my Pre and within the hour they are done. The Hero, and all my other phone's (Mogul, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, Htc Snap) couldn't compare to the Pre's web speed. Htc's Sense is great, But have you guy's Jail-broken and iPhone and have a Pre and realized how much is in common between a Pre and an iPhone? Seriously, I know that if the Pre ever blew Apple would have torn apart Palm for violating so many patent's these things are so similar. Give me better hardware and I wouldn't care about the casing, I can have the phone in a Xbox case, I'd still have the best Operating system out there...and I also need a on screen keyboard, sometimes I don't want to slide my Pre open.....Your honor, We rest our case.
    What the Pre has that the Hero doesn't...Hmm let me start with the obvious for all you blind people out there. The Pre has a keyboard, Hero doesn't. The Pre has 3-d Games, Hero doesn't. When I had the Hero it had a memory leak in the native Text messaging app, Seriously how can you have a problem with STOCK text messaging? The only thing that the Hero has that the Pre doesn't is a trackball, I loved playing pong on the Hero, The only worthwhile game on that phone. Another thing, What is the Hero running? Android 1.5? What 2.6 is already coming out, while some people are about to be on Fro-yo, you Hero guys are rocking a cupcake, another thing is the camera, It doesn't have flash. It maybe 5mp but still what's the use of having a camera if the damn thing doesn't have flash? It's like using a umbrella when it's 75 degrees on a nice summer day. When I was using my Hero it was stocked out and they haven't even rooted the thing yet, It may or it should be better now, but compared to a Pre. Matter of fact, It doesn't compare to one...Period. Pre's app's are great, the one's that I need. I have my Rss feed's for Feed's Free, my twitter goes to Twee, All my instant messages are through the stock messaging, Although you have to install patches to enable hidden one's. Another thing that the Hero sucks at is Web browsing, Have you guys checked the Speed of an Htc Hero compared to a Pre? Try and downloading a 400 mb file, Or even a 100 mb file on the Pre and the Hero in full coverage, The Pre's downloading speed is ridiculous. Seriously, I can simultaneously download big files on my Pre and within the hour they are done. The Hero, and all my other phone's (Mogul, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, Htc Snap) couldn't compare to the Pre's web speed. Htc's Sense is great, But have you guy's Jail-broken and iPhone and have a Pre and realized how much is in common between a Pre and an iPhone? Seriously, I know that if the Pre ever blew Apple would have torn apart Palm for violating so many patent's these things are so similar. Give me better hardware and I wouldn't care about the casing, I can have the phone in a Xbox case, I'd still have the best Operating system out there...and I also need a on screen keyboard, sometimes I don't want to slide my Pre open.....Your honor, We rest our case.
    The text issue was fixed with a maintenance release that Sprint cleared maybe...4 weeks after launch.

The 3D game canard is just laughable. Not only does Android have 3D games (though not as many as WebOS), but they actually work reliably. I don't have to close every app and run JStop just to run the Gangstar DEMO. I don't have to worry about getting "Too Many Cards" errors in the middle of a game because someone sent me a GTalk message (These both happened on 1.4.1.1, BTW). I would love for Palm to heavily advertise 3D gaming as a WebOS feature in its current state, and watch the stock Pre owners flood this board with memory error complaints.

WebOS's unified messaging is indeed superior to Android's implementation of "one app for GTalk...one app for text messaging...one app for...."

But Web browsing is hard to compare. The Hero browser is slower than the Pre one, but it also reformats text to fit and runs an older version of Adobe Flash lite while on a slower processor.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The text issue was fixed with a maintenance release that Sprint cleared maybe...4 weeks after launch.

The 3D game canard is just laughable. Not only does Android have 3D games (though not as many as WebOS), but they actually work reliably. I don't have to close every app and run JStop just to run the Gangstar DEMO. I don't have to worry about getting "Too Many Cards" errors in the middle of a game because someone sent me a GTalk message (These both happened on 1.4.1.1, BTW). I would love for Palm to heavily advertise 3D gaming as a WebOS feature in its current state, and watch the stock Pre owners flood this board with memory error complaints.

WebOS's unified messaging is indeed superior to Android's implementation of "one app for GTalk...one app for text messaging...one app for...."

But Web browsing is hard to compare. The Hero browser is slower than the Pre one, but it also reformats text to fit and runs an older version of Adobe Flash lite while on a slower processor.
    Yeah I know about Sprint, I work for them so for you to tell me that the text issue was fixed, It wasnt. We still had plenty of people calling and chatting in over the issue, You know what we had to do? Tell them to download one off the App store. And for the too many cards error. You obviously don't have the 800 patch installed. I have Gangstar (The purchased game) while Im text messaging someone else.
    Yeah I know about Sprint, I work for them so for you to tell me that the text issue was fixed, It wasnt. We still had plenty of people calling and chatting in over the issue, You know what we had to do? Tell them to download one off the App store. And for the too many cards error. You obviously don't have the 800 patch installed. I have Gangstar (The purchased game) while Im text messaging someone else.
    It fixed the issue for me, but I can't speak to anyone else still with the problem.

And I do have the 800 patch installed and still get the error, but inadvertently, you've proving my point. Most people run stock Pre phones, so the idea that they have to put it in developer mode, hook up WebOS QI, and download a kernel from a third party forum that needs a command line to activate JUST TO RUN A GAME.....it's a joke.
    And what with the Hero you can just pause the game, Text someone and pick up where you left off as well? gtfoh. And if you are running a STOCK phone, Why the hell would you need to go to a forum anyway? I haven't had a Stock phone since 2007 with my mogul!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

It may be more preference than anything but for me gaming in 16-bit color plain and simply sucks. I've never had gaming issues with my Pre.. I can minimize asphalt 5, check my emails, go back, text, continue with the game.. no memory errors on this end. Memory errors are really just bugs that can be fixed.. a 16-bit color screen is old and dated and permanent. As for lag.. the games i've played so far.. asphalt 5, the golf one, hawx, sparta.. all run buttery smooth to me. What really amazes me is that they have an actual flight simulator out for it.
    Wait...let me get this straight:

Memory errors are bugs that CAN be fixed, but they just haven't been for whatever reason. The Pre is "buttery smooth", yet the vast majority of people in this forum are running it at a 60 percent overclock. The Sprint employee here slags the Hero because "they had to tell" people to download a SMS app from the Android Market, yet he openly advocates that people not run a stock Pre, and go through all of the steps to overclock the Pre that PALM officially says will "likely result in a voided warranty".

Ok. Yeaaaah...
    Yes, even before I worked for Sprint I was messing with phones. I am one of the few who tell it like it is. I dont shovel bullst as people. Is there a problem with that? Or would you like me to tell you that the world is perfect and that all men are created equal and that Saint Nick is alive and he lives with me and the Easter rabbit?

Ok....Didn't think so.
    wow, so much bad information, coupled with bad formatting... but we'll dig right in...

What the Pre has that the Hero doesn't...Hmm let me start with the obvious for all you blind people out there. The Pre has a keyboard, Hero doesn't.
    yes, that's obvious, and conversely one could say that the hero has a on screen keyboard, and the pre doesn't. this one obviously comes down to user preference (i actually prefer the keyboard), but a lot of people really prefer a full touchscreen phone these days.

The Pre has 3-d Games, Hero doesn't.
    simply incorrect. and android ndk w/ opengl es 2.0 was just released, so more games should be appearing.

When I had the Hero it had a memory leak in the native Text messaging app, Seriously how can you have a problem with STOCK text messaging?
    the pre has had many bug fixes for stock applications, includint the txt messaging app.

What is the Hero running? Android 1.5? What 2.6 is already coming out, while some people are about to be on Fro-yo, you Hero guys are rocking a cupcake,
    1- what do you imagine the implications of that are? or are you just up in a lather that it's not running the latest and greatest, irrespective of actual capabilities?
    2- froyo won't be 2.6. probably 2.2, 2.5, or an outside chance of 3.0

another thing is the camera, It doesn't have flash. It maybe 5mp but still what's the use of having a camera if the damn thing doesn't have flash?
    about the same as the pre not having autofocus- you live with the limitations. not everything is going to be the latest and greatest (other than the htc evo ).

Another thing that the Hero sucks at is Web browsing, Have you guys checked the Speed of an Htc Hero compared to a Pre?
    yup. now go try dolphin on the pre.

look, your only semi-legit points are keyboard and flash- things that are very obvious, and people obviously know about when they buy the phone. everything else, you're just wrong, or making stuff up.

have you noticed that everyone here who have both a pre and a hero (that includes me) think that the hero is pretty stinkin' good (and provide actual facts)?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12