Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 66
  1.    #1  
    Let me start by saying that I upgraded to my Palm Pixi about a month ago...I used to have a Samsung Instinct (blech!)

    Today I met my brother for coffee and an iPad tour...he didn't buy one, but was shipping one to a friend overseas that had to have it shipped to the states first.

    So we decided to unbox and test drive (he owns an iPhone BTW) We were both horribly disappointed! We both agreed it was fast...but everything else it did was an oversized iPhone...and was even missing a few things the iPhone could do. The layout on screen looked cheesy, because it looked like a big iPhone, the UI seemed cheesy because it wasn't any better than the iPhone, even the button on the bottom was cheesy because it was the same button as the iPhone.

    Once I got my hands on it, I immediately wished it was running webOS...I wanted a gesture area and multitasking right away, but you can't. On a device that big, that was all about touch interface with little keyboard and zero mouse, it would've been a much better experience.

    I almost wanted one before the test drive...though I admit I can only think of a few specific, though needed, times I would use it (business related)...but now, not so much. Maybe with Apple's new OS that comes out (multitask I hear?)

    I hope Palm finds a way to stay around longer than some prject, and keeps pushing with there designs and OS. Though its not perfect, its one of the best I've found so far.

    THat my rant, long live Pixi
  2. kld2009's Avatar
    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    #2  
    My wife has to take her Pixi(that I bought her for Valentine's) from me sometimes. I like the solidness of the phone. But still rocking my Pre I received "before" launch day(Sprint employe). IPad is nice, but Apple is smart to leave stuff out to not cannibalize their existing products. I predict the iPad will not do well because it is kinda like the Feleo. A full size computer, netbook, and many mobile phones can do what iPad presently out the box can not do. For example not being able to print a page, document, or image you are viewing. My 2.
  3. #3  
    I got my new iPad tethered to my Pre Plus. It works great. I love this thing. So long netbook and Kindle.

    Saying this is just a big iPhone is like saying a Harley is just a big Schwinn.
  4. #4  
    Don't expect the iPad or the iPhone to ever have multitasking, there is a reason they both have good battery life.

    But thanks for the review, I figured it would end up being something like that, I also heard it's very awkward to carry as it feels like it's just going to slip, and the fingerprints are really horrible especially with glare and washout from the sun, did you have enough time to experience any of this?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Don't expect the iPad or the iPhone to ever have multitasking, there is a reason they both have good battery life.

    But thanks for the review, I figured it would end up being something like that, I also heard it's very awkward to carry as it feels like it's just going to slip, and the fingerprints are really horrible especially with glare and washout from the sun, did you have enough time to experience any of this?
    Apple is demoing OS4 this Thursday... I'll bet everything I own that it brings multitasking, probably in a expose fashion.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Don't expect the iPad or the iPhone to ever have multitasking, there is a reason they both have good battery life.

    But thanks for the review, I figured it would end up being something like that, I also heard it's very awkward to carry as it feels like it's just going to slip, and the fingerprints are really horrible especially with glare and washout from the sun, did you have enough time to experience any of this?
    Not awkward to hold or carry at all. Feels fantastic in the hand. A little on the heavy side but it feels great. Read an ebook on it for about two hours last night. It was a great experience. Listened to the Mets game today using the MLB app.

    I don't think I will ever use my netbook again.
  7. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #7  
    It is true.
    You pay $499+ to not be able to print anything out, not be able to do... pretty much anything a computer is supposed to do.

    Just get a netbook ffs.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    It is true.
    You pay $499+ to not be able to print anything out, not be able to do... pretty much anything a computer is supposed to do.

    Just get a netbook ffs.
    Don't want to print from it.
    Do want to read ebooks
    Do want to use the new awesome iPad apps.
    Dont want to use my netbook anymore after using my iPad.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    It is true.
    You pay $499+ to not be able to print anything out, not be able to do... pretty much anything a computer is supposed to do.

    Just get a netbook ffs.
    Actually, you can print from the iPad. Please, get your facts straight before you ramble. And please, show me a netbook that will get ~12 hours of usage on a single battery charge.
  10. SDash's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Actually, you can print from the iPad. Please, get your facts straight before you ramble. And please, show me a netbook that will get ~12 hours of usage on a single battery charge.
    Amazon.com: ASUS UL30A-A2 Thin and Light 13-3-Inch Silver Laptop - 12 Hours of Battery Life (Windows 7 Home Premium): Computer & Accessories

    I guess it depends on what you call a 'netbook'. I hate that term =/
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by SDash View Post
    That thing is not a "netbook", that's a laptop. Lol
  12. #12  
    I want one and might buy within the next few months. I know about its limitations (no flash, no multi-task, big ipod touch, blah blah blah). But I spend a lot of time on my Pre reading the news, surfing websites, sending/receiving email, watching vids, etc. The ipad will do all of that, and more, better. And together with the Pre, the ipad can always have an internet connection wherever I go.

    It looks like a great combo.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    I want one and might buy within the next few months. I know about its limitations (no flash, no multi-task, big ipod touch, blah blah blah). But I spend a lot of time on my Pre reading the news, surfing websites, sending/receiving email, watching vids, etc. The ipad will do all of that, and more, better. And together with the Pre, the ipad can always have an internet connection wherever I go.

    It looks like a great combo.
    I was optimistic to say the least before buying mine, but after playing with mine extensively for the past two days I am so pleased with my decision to get one. I've browsed as many sites as I can possibly think of, and it's great to see sites adopting HTML5 to push videos and other content as opposed to flash, it's beautiful on the iPad.

    I have yet to miss flash (I don't even care for it on my desktop) since using the iPad.

    Apple is showcasing OS4 this Thursday, so it will be very interesting to see what they're bringing to the table.
  14. SDash's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Apple is demoing OS4 this Thursday... I'll bet everything I own that it brings multitasking, probably in a expose fashion.
    I would hope so.

    Or I would hope for the community to expand its current limitations. Maybe a custom OS or dual boot while keeping all its abilities
  15.    #15  
    To answer about the feel in hand...I did feel like it would slip fairly easy...same as my decision (well, one of) to get the Pixi and not the Pre.

    I do want to say wasn't attempting to bash Apple at all...I am an avid and devout Mac user...have been for years. I think my point in saying that it was like a big iPhone was I felt it should have been built different. They made the whole experience sooooo much like the iPhone, that it ended up being disappointing in the end. But again, just my experience.

    I would totally be down to see the 2nd gen device after the new OS is released and see what happens with it, I would prob be more apt to buy it then. I've gotten so used, in just a month, to the multitasking aspect of my phone, that the bigger & faster device was a let down. There were things I liked, but they didn't live up to the hype about it.

    And about the tethering...sweet idea! but never thought about it...on sprint with Pixi, not Pixi plus, so no Wi-Fi...yet
  16. #16  
    I am equal Mac / PC user, have two macs at home (Mac Book Pro, and Mac Pro) three PC's home (Desk, lappy, Dedicated home Theatre) Mac and PC at work. I have iPhone but don't have it activated anymore (Hate ATT now, and don't really care for iPhone OS).

    I was hot for the ipad but now that everyone else has annouced their's (Dell, HP...) I may wait, I like Windows 7 alot, and Windows 7 Media Center is killer.
  17. azumak's Avatar
    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Actually, you can print from the iPad. Please, get your facts straight before you ramble. And please, show me a netbook that will get ~12 hours of usage on a single battery charge.
    My Acer Aspire 250 netbook from Newegg included an extended battery advertised at 11 hours of life off one charge. Using power saver scheme and an external monitor I made mine last over 16 hours. I wouldn't count that, but I regularly have my netbook go past 10 hours off one battery charge using many peripherals (external HD, wireless kb/mouse, charging Pre). It cost me $340 before shipping (shipping would have been free but I overnight rushed it to get it in 23 hours).

    I'm guessing the iPad cannot play video or music for 12 hours straight. It sounds like a modest battery time quote. I CAN get my Pre to last 24 hours+ with no data and minimum screen brightness etc, but how much use could I get out of it? Not too much. Battery life is directly impacted but the amount of use you're getting out of any given device. If I was quoted 12 hour battery life on an iPad and it died after 4 hours of straight video playing, I'd be upset. But I'm never ever buying an iPad anyway so, eh...

    ---

    Just a link I grabbed from Google, a Gizmodo article on their heavy testing of an iPad. Almost six hours of heavy use. That seems average from my point of view, certainly nothing revolutionary...
    http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/04/ip...-battery-life/
    Last edited by azumak; 04/05/2010 at 10:17 PM.
  18. moegumby's Avatar
    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    #18  
    Toshiba NB305-N310, 11.2 Hour battery, Flash, Hulu, Netflicks everything you use on a regular computer. Watched 2 Netflicks movies over 1 hour 45 min each and still keeps 60 percent battery! Full (Real) keyboard (One of the best on a netbook) I also have an Imac and a Mac Mini so I'm in no way a Apple basher. I just can't see the money spent on a glorified ipod.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by azumak View Post
    My Acer Aspire 250 netbook from Newegg included an extended battery advertised at 11 hours of life off one charge. Using power saver scheme and an external monitor I made mine last over 16 hours. I wouldn't count that, but I regularly have my netbook go past 10 hours off one battery charge using many peripherals (external HD, wireless kb/mouse, charging Pre). It cost me $340 before shipping (shipping would have been free but I overnight rushed it to get it in 23 hours).

    I'm guessing the iPad cannot play video or music for 12 hours straight. It sounds like a modest battery time quote. I CAN get my Pre to last 24 hours+ with no data and minimum screen brightness etc, but how much use could I get out of it? Not too much. Battery life is directly impacted but the amount of use you're getting out of any given device. If I was quoted 12 hour battery life on an iPad and it died after 4 hours of straight video playing, I'd be upset. But I'm never ever buying an iPad anyway so, eh...

    ---

    Just a link I grabbed from Google, a Gizmodo article on their heavy testing of an iPad. Almost six hours of heavy use. That seems average from my point of view, certainly nothing revolutionary...
    iPad Test Notes: Battery Life | Gizmodo Australia
    Last night, I watched 3.5 hours of video using the ABC Player app (catching up on Flashforward) and my battery went from 100% -> 94%. Watching video is very light on the battery as it's not CPU intensive at all (another reason Apple is against Flash). And mind you, that's streaming from the internet, not a locally stored video.

    What does consume battery (but not at an alarming rate) is playing games and actually navigating through apps or browsing the internet. I've peaked at about 6% an hour of HEAVY usage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moegumby View Post
    I just can't see the money spent on a glorified ipod.
    Have you actually gotten to use and play with an iPad? If so, you'd know it's not even close to being a 'glorified iPod', it's more like a mini Macbook.
    Last edited by barkerja; 04/06/2010 at 02:23 AM.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Actually, you can print from the iPad. Please, get your facts straight before you ramble. And please, show me a netbook that will get ~12 hours of usage on a single battery charge.
    If you'll let me mount the same battery capacity on the thing, I will
    WebOS still makes sense.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions