Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Correct, there is a whole office suite that allows you to edit docs, spreadsheets, etc.
    Its a done deal for me now. Thank you for pointing that out.
    Hey by the way, while in landscape mode and after the unlock screen pops up does the iPad show a landscape version of the slide to unlock screen? I keep seeing portrait versions of it.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I have to admit that this a great way of looking at things. If the product in question does not sell well, in the end, then you were right to dismiss it. However, the more it sells, the more lemmings you can feel superior to. You win either way. Nice.
    My comments were intended as an example of independent analytical thinking rather than some contest to "win". Superiority over lemmings is something I think we should all aspire to.
    Last edited by mdvision; 04/07/2010 at 12:48 AM.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingpixi View Post
    Once I got my hands on it, I immediately wished it was running webOS...I wanted a gesture area and multitasking right away, but you can't. On a device that big, that was all about touch interface with little keyboard and zero mouse, it would've been a much better experience.
    Here's my problem with the idea that "If only this was running ___________ OS then it would be better".

"The OS is nothing but an APP LAUNCHER!"

Mac vs PC. Android vs iPhone OS vs WebOS. These are silly wars created by bored people because nowadays the OS doesn't matter as much as it used to. I know that's a very simplistic and dismissive description because there's a lot of benefits of WebOS over iPhone OS or whatever, but consider how much actual time you spend IN the OS. Whether you swipe or press a button to do something, in the end you spend 99% of your day within a specific app that is available on ALL platforms. So the real differentiator are the exclusives. Netflix. ABC. NPR. AP. Street Fighter IV. Facebook. TweetDeck. Etc.

So what exactly would make WebOS so fantastic on a tablet? The swooshy effects? The overhyped superfantastic gesture area? Sure, Multitasking is a legitimate complaint BUT what good is multitasking when WebOS apps are so vastly inferior to the competition that they aren't even worth using? (And what happens to all the WebOS fans who use Multitasking as a +20 Damage Hammer in every discussion)

I've been an Apple user for long enough to know they are tyrants when they have all the power so I definitely want competition (Courrier!!!). BUT as a selfish consumer who cares more about myself than some dopey corporate battle then I want the product that has the most useful apps. And that is why I bought an iPad.
    Last edited by Urkel; 04/07/2010 at 10:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I know that's a very simplistic and dismissive description because there's a lot of benefits of WebOS over iPhone OS or whatever,...
    I've gotta agree. Simplistic and dismissive.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I said this already in another thread yesterday, but I'll repeat it here:

I think WebOS on a tablet would be an abysmal idea. At least in its current form.

1. There's nowhere near enough developer support to create a robust suite of WebOS centric apps or to convert the 2K or so we already have to run at a good tablet resolution. There would need to be a PDK to copy iPad apps too, and in case you haven't noticed, having those apps aint exactly setting WebOS sales on fire.

2. Very, very few WebOS apps are landscape-friendly. There's no official virtual keyboard. These can't be the case on a tablet.

3. The OS is still unfinished. There are still placeholder menus in native apps. Pictures still render one at a time, even at 800mhz. No microphone API.

4. Palm doesn't have sufficient resources to advertise WebOS phones and tablets effectively. You could argue they can't even advertise WebOS phones alone effectively, but you get the point...
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234