Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Exactly. It's fun. Don't even want one, and I can say that from my brief usage of it. But laptops at the same price point or lower blow it away on a lot of different functions. Way more "apps" available, way more storage, way more RAM, multitasking, better and bigger screen, more ports, video cam for Skyping, etc.

And I think the biggest appeal is as an eReader. If you're not into that, it's hard to justify purchasing this against a laptop, unless you just like dropping several hundred dollars to look cool.
    I disagree. I cant think of any laptops at the same price point that would give me the same experience for browsing (love the touch controls), ebooks (do I hold a netbook on its side?), central location to download all apps, instant on, no virus or spy ware concerns, incredible battery life.

I don't care about specs, don't want a bigger screen (would make it heavier), 64 gigs of storage is fine.

The netbook can do some of these, but it does almost nothing very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Man, you hit the nail square on the head. That's why I bought mine.. to look cool.
    So you're not into eReading, then?
    So you're not into eReading, then?
    I have a Kindle for my eBooks. Don't get me wrong, I think the iPad is a great device for digital reading, but I don't think it's spectacular for prolonged reading. Any backlit device is terrible for prolonged reading.

Besides, I had my Kindle long before the iPad was ever announced.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Don't begrudge anyone who decides to buy an iPad, just like those who buy a MAC or iPhone or iPod or any Apple product. Apple makes great products - seriously.

I would be concerned about falling into the trap of buying the latest greatest (regardless who makes it) - though I do believe Apple is better than anyone else at creating a category - reeling in customers - and putting them on an ever growing upgrade cycle. I am sure the iPad will be the same.

I do think there is a new category emerging here - and unless we see an Android or WebOS tablet very soon - Apple may very well own this category too.

Saw HP's tablet announcement - WINDOWS 7 - is a deal killer.

If Palm would come out with a tablet on WebOS - that would boost all WebOS devices... people would have the chance to see WebOS in all its glory.

In the meantime - Apple - good job on a product that some will really love - some will have no need for.

What is very interesting is less that 1% of iPad purchasers were non Iphone/Mac users!

Innovation under any circumstance is good for all.
    I have a Kindle for my eBooks. Don't get me wrong, I think the iPad is a great device for digital reading, but I don't think it's spectacular for prolonged reading. Any backlit device is terrible for prolonged reading.

Besides, I had my Kindle long before the iPad was ever announced.
    I keep hearing this, but I find no difference in reading on my Kindle to reading on my iPad. I actually have read many books on my iPhone without any difficulties.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I keep hearing this, but I find no difference in reading on my Kindle to reading on my iPad. I actually have read many books on my iPhone without any difficulties.
    For short bursts of reading (like 15 - 20 pages) it's okay for me, but anything more my eyes and head begin to hurt. I guess people are different in those regards, just like some can read in a car and others can't.
    I disagree. I cant think of any laptops at the same price point that would give me the same experience for browsing (love the touch controls), ebooks (do I hold a netbook on its side?), central location to download all apps, instant on, no virus or spy ware concerns, incredible battery life.

I don't care about specs, don't want a bigger screen (would make it heavier), 64 gigs of storage is fine.

The netbook can do some of these, but it does almost nothing very well.
    Disagree, but we already know the iPad is a YMMV device.

I've already excepted eReading multiple times because it is pretty unparalleled there.

But on the rest, it misses just as much or more as it offers. You bought a 64GB iPad, which goes for $699. But for about $500 at Best Buy, I can buy a laptop that will smoke it in browsing. It may lack touch controls (not really a positive or negative, in my opinion), but it renders every page faster, downloads files so you can use them in applications aside from the browser, renders every site as it is meant to be seen, offers you a choice of browsers, let's you open multiple tabs in Windows and is compatible with every plug-in on the Web....all on a bigger, wider screen.

And that includes Flash. For all of the talk of major sites flipping over to iPad-friendly formats, the vast majority haven't. Just try looking up a restaurant or band you like. Maybe you want to look into a trendy clothing line. There are just so many sites that don't work right with the iPad browser, it's not even funny. If you don't believe it, uninstall Flash from every machine you touch at work or at home. You'll notice.

So I could have ALL of that...or touch controls. (Keep in mind that many laptops have touch gestures on the pad already)

Virus and spyware concerns are legitimate, but also quite manageable. I've used nothing more than Microsoft's free firewall and Security Essentials AV programs on my home XP desktop for years, and browsed with Firefox and NoScript (although I use Chrome at work). Never a problem. Not one penny spent. How much will you spend on the iPad to:

- Use a real keyboard?
    - Print to a non-networked or wi-fi available printer?
    - be able to use USB peripherals

I mean, it's just a matter of tradeoffs. I think you lose so much more than you gain with an iPad. But that's my opinion.
  8.    #48  
    I'm so glad so many people replied to the original post!! But as the one who started the thread...I just want to ask people to not be mean to each other on here...its just a discussion board on opinions of products, LOL. Not to call another silly, stupid, or otherwise because we don't agree.

Most have been great, some are getting a little hotheaded and making assumptions of others.

I happen to love my Mac and iPod...and somehow hope some of this gets to Apple (by magic?) so the next gen is even better. Or gets to Palm so a webOS Slate comes out
    Quote Originally Posted by luigidk View Post
    I do think there is a new category emerging here - and unless we see an Android or WebOS tablet very soon - Apple may very well own this category too.

Saw HP's tablet announcement - WINDOWS 7 - is a deal killer.

If Palm would come out with a tablet on WebOS - that would boost all WebOS devices... people would have the chance to see WebOS in all its glory.
    WebOS in its current form on a tablet would be a NIGHTMARE.

While it multitasks, browser windows randomly reload when you go back to them, so that would be a huge problem. Palm has shown no facility for creating a good onscreen keyboard. The mail program would have to be redesigned from scratch as using all 10-inches of screen to swipe away emails one at a time would be a joke. The vast, vast majority of apps (including the native ones) would have to be updated so that they worked in landscape. The Cards UI and launcher pages would have to be redesigned.

Meanwhile, Palm doesn't even have the development resources to create stable APIs for every function on the current Pre hardware and enable the GPU.
    Disagree, but we already know the iPad is a YMMV device.

I've already excepted eReading multiple times because it is pretty unparalleled there.

But on the rest, it misses just as much or more as it offers. You bought a 64GB iPad, which goes for $699. But for about $500 at Best Buy, I can buy a laptop that will smoke it in browsing. It may lack touch controls (not really a positive or negative, in my opinion), but it renders every page faster, downloads files so you can use them in applications aside from the browser, renders every site as it is meant to be seen, offers you a choice of browsers, let's you open multiple tabs in Windows and is compatible with every plug-in on the Web....all on a bigger, wider screen.

And that includes Flash. For all of the talk of major sites flipping over to iPad-friendly formats, the vast majority haven't. Just try looking up a restaurant or band you like. Maybe you want to look into a trendy clothing line. There are just so many sites that don't work right with the iPad browser, it's not even funny. If you don't believe it, uninstall Flash from every machine you touch at work or at home. You'll notice.

So I could have ALL of that...or touch controls. (Keep in mind that many laptops have touch gestures on the pad already)

Virus and spyware concerns are legitimate, but also quite manageable. I've used nothing more than Microsoft's free firewall and Security Essentials AV programs on my home XP desktop for years, and browsed with Firefox and NoScript (although I use Chrome at work). Never a problem. Not one penny spent. How much will you spend on the iPad to:

- Use a real keyboard?
    - Print to a non-networked or wi-fi available printer?
    - be able to use USB peripherals

I mean, it's just a matter of tradeoffs. I think you lose so much more than you gain with an iPad. But that's my opinion.
    I don't know, almost every website I go to on the iPad opens up extremely fast. No complaints at all. Its also far easier to control with touch in my opinion.

I didn't download really anything on my netbook, so I am not really missing that on the iPad.

I can honestly say I do not miss flash at all. I have already turned flash off on my MacBook and don't ever seem to miss anything. I do keep it on though on my Windows 7 machine.

Dont care about the choice of browsers because the included one is excellent.

Microsoft's Virus program............no thanks.

As for ereading, its not for just books. I read comics, magazines, newspapers, pdfs, docs on my iPad and the experience blows away the netbook. Reading and consuming data, there is no match.
    Well, one of the many, many options you have with Windows PCs is to not buy them from a manufacturer that slaps a bunch of pre-installed bloatware on them. Here in north Atlanta, there must be 60-70 "chop shops" that will sell you any configuration of hardware you want with nothing more than a fresh install of the Microsoft OS of your choice and drivers installed.

But I've never seen "quality" in abundance when it comes to gilded cages.
    I don't know, almost every website I go to on the iPad opens up extremely fast. No complaints at all. Its also far easier to control with touch in my opinion.
    Controlling a browser with a mouse is hard in any way, shape, or form? Wow....uh...ok....

I simply invite you to A/B it for yourself. Pick up any Windows or Mac laptop with more juice under the hood than a first-generation Atom 270, and it will render faster than the iPad.

I can honestly say I do not miss flash at all. I have already turned flash off on my MacBook and don't ever seem to miss anything. I do keep it on though on my Windows 7 machine.
    You must have a very limited browsing radius, then. No prob.

Dont care about the choice of browsers because the included one is excellent.
    Not really the point, I thought Safari was excellent circa iPhone OS 2.x, but it also used to randomly dump you to the desktop several times a day. Would've been nice to have an alternative. But you seem to like a lack a choice for whatever reason.

As for ereading, its not for just books. I read comics, magazines, newspapers, pdfs, docs on my iPad and the experience blows away the netbook. Reading and consuming data, there is no match.
    ...when only considering the pre-packaged books, magazines, comics, etc. currently offered and formatted FOR the iPad. Try reading material beyond that, and you'll understand. But I think you will say something along the lines of "There's so much...I don't need anything beyond that."

That's cool.
    Controlling a browser with a mouse is hard in any way, shape, or form? Wow....uh...ok....

I simply invite you to A/B it for yourself. Pick up any Windows or Mac laptop with more juice under the hood than a first-generation Atom 270, and it will render faster than the iPad.

You must have a very limited browsing radius, then. No prob.

Not really the point, I thought Safari was excellent circa iPhone OS 2.x, but it also used to randomly dump you to the desktop several times a day. Would've been nice to have an alternative. But you seem to like a lack a choice for whatever reason.

...when only considering the pre-packaged books, magazines, comics, etc. currently offered and formatted FOR the iPad. Try reading material beyond that, and you'll understand. But I think you will say something along the lines of "There's so much...I don't need anything beyond that."

That's cool.
    It really hard to discuss anything with you because of your little remarks and assumptions you like to add in.

-Never said controlling with a mouse was difficult. I said I prefer touch control
    -Maybe it renders faster, but the iPad renders most pages lighting quick. I doubt I would notice any difference.
    -Most of the websites I visit have no flash. Obviously your "browsing radius" is greater than mine.
    -Again, I find the on-board browser to be more than sufficient for my needs.
    -Sure, there is content not "pre-packaged" for the iPad that I would like to consume, but the stuff that already is, is far more enjoyable to consume on the iPad than on any notebook. That includes.....
    USA Today
    NY Times
    Wall Street Journal
    Marvel Comic Reader App
    Thomson Reuters News
    NPR
    BBC
    Time Magazine
    AP News
    ABC news
    Zinio (allows the viewing of almost every major magazine)
    Fwix (for all my local news)

Plus all my books and technical documents that are stored as PDFs. Ofcourse Kindle and iBooks too.

If its not for you that's fine, I myself enjoy consuming all of this data on my iPad way more than my netbook.
    That's fine, man. Seriously.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    The efforts made on justifying this limited function, impractical, overpriced gadget is just astounding. The tech media pimping combined with Apples mastery spin has the lemmings lining up to part with way too much money for a device that would be crucified if from any other vendor. Truly a great example of Mr. Barnums famous quote. The cowardice of tech industry media coverage is down right embarrassing. Be sure to check out the emperors cool new clothes as well....."everyone" has been commenting on how fine they are. LMAO at the suckers. Well done Apple.
    Last edited by mdvision; 04/06/2010 at 05:41 PM.
    Hey guys, what's your favorite color?
    The iPad lacking the most basic features (microsd card slot, usb) is a real disappointment and I really can't justify the cost other than thinking if I get the 3G 32Gb version I'm only paying about $2.22 a day until the 2G comes out (1 year) and hopefully by then I can sell it to some bigger ***** on ebay for about half of what I paid, so it could possibly turn into $1.11 a day.

Regarding functionality, Jobs just really doesn't give a flying F. The fact that I won't be able to edit word attachments from emails just makes no sense. Hopefully that changes this summer with an OS update.

So why do I still want one, well I've somehow created in my mind reasons for getting this. Reasons like getting off my **** while using this, great car computer, long battery life, streaming movies that I already do fine on my iPod Touch using Air Video, 3G off contract use whenever my Pre dies during a tether and just basic browsing and emailing.
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    The iPad lacking the most basic features (microsd card slot, usb) is a real disappointment and I really can't justify the cost other than thinking if I get the 3G 32Gb version I'm only paying about $2.22 a day until the 2G comes out (1 year) and hopefully by then I can sell it to some bigger ***** on ebay for about half of what I paid, so it could possibly turn into $1.11 a day.

Regarding functionality, Jobs just really doesn't give a flying F. The fact that I won't be able to edit word attachments from emails just makes no sense. Hopefully that changes this summer with an OS update.

So why do I still want one, well I've somehow created in my mind reasons for getting this. Reasons like getting off my **** while using this, great car computer, long battery life, streaming movies that I already do fine on my iPod Touch using Air Video, 3G off contract use whenever my Pre dies during a tether and just basic browsing and emailing.
    Again, misinformed. There is a dongle that allows you to use USB. And you can edit Word docs using the pages app. I wrote a word doc the other night while lying in bed.
    Again, misinformed. There is a dongle that allows you to use USB. And you can edit Word docs using the pages app. I wrote a word doc the other night while lying in bed.
    I may have been mistaken. So if someone emails me a word document I can open the email attachment on my iPad and edit it with Pages? If so the iPad just became a lot more useful. I was under the impression that I could only view them the same way the iPhone does.
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    I may have been mistaken. So if someone emails me a word document I can open the email attachment on my iPad and edit it with Pages? If so the iPad just became a lot more useful. I was under the impression that I could only view them the same way the iPhone does.
    Correct, there is a whole office suite that allows you to edit docs, spreadsheets, etc.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast