Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Actually, you can print from the iPad. Please, get your facts straight before you ramble.
    iPad Struggles at Printing and Sharing Files - PCWorld Business Center

Yeah, it's very easy and intuitive to print from an iPad.

If I had time, disposable income, and the inclination to buy a computer that browsed as slow as a smartphone, couldn't print easily or move files around, and needed another computer just to function fully...I would get an iPad. Like...right now.

But I only have the income, and I wouldn't use it on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    iPad Struggles at Printing and Sharing Files - PCWorld Business Center

Yeah, it's very easy and intuitive to print from an iPad.

If I had time, disposable income, and the inclination to buy a computer that browsed as slow as a smartphone, couldn't print easily or move files around, and needed another computer just to function fully...I would get an iPad. Like...right now.

But I only have the income, and I wouldn't use it on this.

I guess I have no desire to print from my iPad. I had no desire to print from my netbook either.

If you think browsing is slow on the iPad then you haven't used one.

Not sure why people think you can replace your desktop/laptop with it? Not designed to do that.

I use it for Web browsing, games, ereading, movies, email. For that, it blows away the same experience on my netbook.

The MLB app and the Netflix app alone make it worth the money to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I guess I have no desire to print from my iPad. I had no desire to print from my netbook either.

If you think browsing is slow on the iPad then you haven't used one.
    Ah, but I have. Not only that, but I had my old work laptop with me when I tried it at my friend's place. It's a 5-year old IBM Thinkpad with a Celeron M. Side-by-side it ranged from 3-8 seconds faster on every website I pulled up using the same wi-fi for both. Keep in mind, the Thinkpad had to render Flash on these sites whereas the iPad simply didn't and couldn't bother, and it had a dedicated GPU, while the Thinkpad had some ancient Intel "integrated graphics" chip. I can only imagine what a contemporary laptop would do to this thing.

I wouldn't pay $100, much less $500-900 for a device that can't browse better than my POS work laptop. I put up with it because I have to.

Not sure why people think you can replace your desktop/laptop with it? Not designed to do that.

I use it for Web browsing, games, ereading, movies, email. For that, it blows away the same experience on my netbook.

The MLB app and the Netflix app alone make it worth the money to me.
    You must have a 7-inch first gen netbook, then. The games I like either aren't available on iPad, or suck compared to their PC counterpart (e.g. Command & Conquer: Red Alert. On the iPad, the controls are limited, it stutters in rendering, and game functions are gimped).

I wouldn't watch a movie on a laptop because I don't travel that much, but if I had to...I'd much prefer that to a 4:3-ish screen that adds black bars to virtually every modern day TV and film. You're shrinking a 9.7-inch screen down to maybe....7 inches to watch it at OAR. No thanks.

Also, you must have a sucky email program on your netbook if you can't beat the iPad experience. You can't remove attachments or do anything with them. Using images in composing is clunky. Even if it was on par, I'd muuuuuch rather compose substantial emails seated using a keyboard than holding a slate and hunching over virtual keys.

But congrats on $500+ on an eReader. Great value!
    Ah, but I have. Not only that, but I had my old work laptop with me when I tried it at my friend's place. It's a 5-year old IBM Thinkpad with a Celeron M. Side-by-side it ranged from 3-8 seconds faster on every website I pulled up using the same wi-fi for both. Keep in mind, the Thinkpad had to render Flash on these sites whereas the iPad simply didn't and couldn't bother, and it had a dedicated GPU, while the Thinkpad had some ancient Intel "integrated graphics" chip. I can only imagine what a contemporary laptop would do to this thing.

I wouldn't pay $100, much less $500-900 for a device that can't browse better than my POS work laptop. I put up with it because I have to.

You must have a 7-inch first gen netbook, then. The games I like either aren't available on iPad, or suck compared to their PC counterpart (e.g. Command & Conquer: Red Alert. On the iPad, the controls are limited, it stutters in rendering, and game functions are gimped).

I wouldn't watch a movie on a laptop because I don't travel that much, but if I had to...I'd much prefer that to a 4:3-ish screen that adds black bars to virtually every modern day TV and film. You're shrinking a 9.7-inch screen down to maybe....7 inches to watch it at OAR. No thanks.

Also, you must have a sucky email program on your netbook if you can't beat the iPad experience. You can't remove attachments or do anything with them. Using images in composing is clunky. Even if it was on par, I'd muuuuuch rather compose substantial emails seated using a keyboard than holding a slate and hunching over virtual keys.

But congrats on $500+ on an eReader. Great value!
    Its so strange that some people need to attack other people because they disagree on their gadget of choice.

The iPad is clearly not for you.

For me, its great. Its great for reading ebooks. I love the games (Plants Vs. Zombies is my favorite). Reading comic books on it is crazy good. I am also enjoying the NY Times and Wall Street Journal apps a lot.

Can I do the same on my netbook?...maybe. But I prefer the touchscreen, I love the battery life, I love not to having to run antivirus programs, and I love not having to boot up to use it.

You may disagree, that's fine. My netbook (and Kindle) is being permanently retired.
    Hmmm.. Before i could type my response, I just noticed that there doesn't appear to be a way to scroll or arrow down within a window that has no scroll bar... Using this iPad, I mean. I know how to do it on my Pre.

Anyway, I wonder if you will regret not making that purchase once Apple makes their announcement on Thursday.

As far as webOS comparisons, the first time I used the iPad and wanted to leave an app, I was about to perform the back gesture, then realized I didn't know what to do.

I have not owned a modern Apple product so it took me a sec to figure out how to get around. Still learning.

Yeah, though, WebOS would be KILLER on this thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingpixi View Post
    Let me start by saying that I upgraded to my Palm Pixi about a month ago...I used to have a Samsung Instinct (blech!)

Today I met my brother for coffee and an iPad tour...he didn't buy one, but was shipping one to a friend overseas that had to have it shipped to the states first.

So we decided to unbox and test drive (he owns an iPhone BTW) We were both horribly disappointed! We both agreed it was fast...but everything else it did was an oversized iPhone...and was even missing a few things the iPhone could do. The layout on screen looked cheesy, because it looked like a big iPhone, the UI seemed cheesy because it wasn't any better than the iPhone, even the button on the bottom was cheesy because it was the same button as the iPhone.

Once I got my hands on it, I immediately wished it was running webOS...I wanted a gesture area and multitasking right away, but you can't. On a device that big, that was all about touch interface with little keyboard and zero mouse, it would've been a much better experience.

I almost wanted one before the test drive...though I admit I can only think of a few specific, though needed, times I would use it (business related)...but now, not so much. Maybe with Apple's new OS that comes out (multitask I hear?)

I hope Palm finds a way to stay around longer than some prject, and keeps pushing with there designs and OS. Though its not perfect, its one of the best I've found so far.

THat my rant, long live Pixi
    Last edited by west3man; 04/06/2010 at 10:54 AM.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    To simply put it: my iPad is for consuming data and enjoying the internet and games. If I need to work I have my Macbook Pro. But in most cases (I'd say 75% of the time) the iPad will replace the need for my laptop.

I will only lug my laptop around with me now if I have to do development remotely.

Btw, I wrote a 2 page paper for work on my iPad last night in bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Its so strange that some people need to attack other people because they disagree on their gadget of choice.

The iPad is clearly not for you.

For me, its great. Its great for reading ebooks. I love the games (Plants Vs. Zombies is my favorite). Reading comic books on it is crazy good. I am also enjoying the NY Times and Wall Street Journal apps a lot.

Can I do the same on my netbook?...maybe. But I prefer the touchscreen, I love the battery life, I love not to having to run antivirus programs, and I love not having to boot up to use it.

You may disagree, that's fine. My netbook (and Kindle) is being permanently retired.
    Is that worth 499? I consider something like the acer 1410 a netbook (11.6" HD screen, 3lbs) and there's no way this iPad comes close to replacing it. The acer blows it out of the water running windows 7. No comparison. I'm not going to sit and detail the benefits of of windows 7 and what you can do on a PC.

Now is the iPad probably more "fun" to use? Yes. Multitouch is fun. The apps and games are fun. Is it a bit more portable? Yes. Though i would find myself treating the iPad more carefully when lugging around.

Does it replace a Kindle? Easily. Now you're talking. If you can replace an ipod touch and a kindle, then you're cooking.

When i hear people say "it replaces my netbook", it just makes me wonder why they have a netbook. I'm thinking a smartphone would replace it as well then. My iphone is fine for newpapers, comics, or games like P vs Z. Heck, at least the mobile sites give me what i want from newspaper sites quickly and easily without all the garbage i'm seeing in these iPad newspaper apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Hmmm.. Before i could type my response, I just noticed that there doesn't appear to be a way to scroll or arrow down within a window that has no scroll bar... Using this iPad, I mean. I know how to do it on my Pre.

Anyway, I wonder if you will regret not making that purchase once Apple makes their announcement on Thursday.
    Try using two fingers to scroll within panes.
    I'm not attacking you at all, Mobileman. I qualified each of my critiques by using personal examples or perspectives.

Again, I am strictly saying I would not pay X amount of dollars for browsing that I have objectively identified as slower than an ancient XP laptop. I would not play games on what I perceive to be an inferior platform, etc., etc.

Enjoy yours. My friend really likes his. He loves it, in fact. I do not begrudge him. Forgive me if my snark or arguments hurt your feelings, Moby. Was not intended.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Is that worth 499? I consider something like the acer 1410 a netbook (11.6" HD screen, 3lbs) and there's no way this iPad comes close to replacing it. The acer blows it out of the water running windows 7. No comparison. I'm not going to sit and detail the benefits of of windows 7 and what you can do on a PC.

Now is the iPad probably more "fun" to use? Yes. Multitouch is fun. The apps and games are fun. Is it a bit more portable? Yes. Though i would find myself treating the iPad more carefully when lugging around.

Does it replace a Kindle? Easily. Now you're talking. If you can replace an ipod touch and a kindle, then you're cooking.

When i hear people say "it replaces my netbook", it just makes me wonder why they have a netbook. I'm thinking a smartphone would replace it as well then. My iphone is fine for newpapers, comics, or games like P vs Z. Heck, at least the mobile sites give me what i want from newspaper sites quickly and easily without all the garbage i'm seeing in these iPad newspaper apps.
    It appears a lot of people bought netbooks to be consumption machines, as Barkerja alluded to. Even then, I think netbooks have some serious advantages over iPad, but if you really value:

- Instant on computing
    - Slim tablet form factor
    - eReading
    - Apple touchscreen responsiveness and intuitive UI

...Then there's no reason to stay away from the iPad. Aside from the last point, those things mean less than nothing to me.
    To simply put it: my iPad is for consuming data and enjoying the internet and games. If I need to work I have my Macbook Pro. But in most cases (I'd say 75% of the time) the iPad will replace the need for my laptop.

I will only lug my laptop around with me now if I have to do development remotely.

Btw, I wrote a 2 page paper for work on my iPad last night in bed.
    I agree 100 percent. I still have my laptop around if I want to do a lot of "creating"
    First, when did 11" screens need HD? My 55" TV in my living room needs HD, not my 9.3" tablet.

I've had netbooks and the experience has always been terrible. Maybe I've been spoiled by OS X over the previous years that my dislike for Windows is just that strong. The new atom processors that the netbooks are using are weak and not near enough computing power for a full desktop experience. Have you tried watching full HD video on Youtube? Every netbook I have tried has struggled.

To each their own.. if you enjoy your netbook then by all means continue to enjoy it. But please don't bash those that are enjoying their iPad's and appreciate the experience it provides.
    Last edited by barkerja; 04/06/2010 at 11:14 AM.

To me its worth it. I really just use my netbook for browsing and email. I much prefer the iPad experience to my netbook for doing these things. I guess I just don't visit many websites that use flash.

Throw in the ebooks, games, battery life, touch controls, its more than worth it to me.
    First, when did 11" screens need HD? My 55" TV in my living room needs HD, not my 9.3" tablet.

I've had netbooks and the experience has always been terrible. Maybe I've been spoiled by OS X over the previous years that my dislike for Windows is just that strong. The new atom processors that the netbooks are weak and not near enough computing power for a full desktop experience. Have you tried watching full HD video on Youtube? Every netbook I have tried has struggled.

To each their own.. if you enjoy your netbook then by all means continue to enjoy it. But please don't bash those that are enjoying their iPad's and appreciate the experience it provides.
    I'm not bashing at all. The iPad does some things well. It's a fun device. Great e-reader. I just think people are going overboard on justifying their expensive purchase
    A good blog post a friend of mine just wrote: Screw The Web!, on FarukAt.eş
    I'm not bashing at all. The iPad does some things well. It's a fun device. Great e-reader. I just think people are going overboard on justifying their expensive purchase
    Exactly. It's fun. Don't even want one, and I can say that from my brief usage of it. But laptops at the same price point or lower blow it away on a lot of different functions. Way more "apps" available, way more storage, way more RAM, multitasking, better and bigger screen, more ports, video cam for Skyping, etc.

And I think the biggest appeal is as an eReader. If you're not into that, it's hard to justify purchasing this against a laptop, unless you just like dropping several hundred dollars to look cool.
    Exactly. It's fun. Don't even want one, and I can say that from my brief usage of it. But laptops at the same price point or lower blow it away on a lot of different functions. Way more "apps" available, way more storage, way more RAM, multitasking, better and bigger screen, more ports, video cam for Skyping, etc.

And I think the biggest appeal is as an eReader. If you're not into that, it's hard to justify purchasing this against a laptop, unless you just like dropping several hundred dollars to look cool.
    Man, you hit the nail square on the head. That's why I bought mine.. to look cool.
    Isn't that pretty subjective, though, depending on a person's income? I mean, I don't have a huge disposable income, but I also buy no expensive stereo/TV/gaming equipment (which seems like a gargantuan waste of time and brain to me, but no judgements there...)
    A good blog post a friend of mine just wrote: Screw The Web!, on FarukAt.eş
    Hey, as a musician, I definitely understand wanting to get paid for the content you create, but this guy is basically advocating (and Apple is pushing us toward) a regression to an AOL-esque walled garden that charges for content at will because it provides an easy, safe, and flashy user experience.

No thanks.
    Hey, as a musician, I definitely understand wanting to get paid for the content you create, but this guy is basically advocating (and Apple is pushing us toward) a regression to an AOL-esque walled garden that charges for content at will because it provides an easy, safe, and flashy user experience.

No thanks.
    I'll take that over the 95% of shi* you'll find on a Windows machine. I guess I just appreciate quality more than the average consumer.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast