Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Found this on Engadget. My bet is that they'll announce multitasking, but call it something else and claim they invented it. They better not steal the cards idea!

Apple holding iPhone OS 4 event, April 8th! -- Engadget

Here's a link to the multitasking rumor: Apple rumor twofer: Expose-like multitasking in iPhone OS 4.0, international iPad launch on April 24th -- Engadget
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Everything Data $69
    There's no way the iPhone could pull off multitasking the way webOS does. They'll try, call it something other than multitasking, and pull it off amazingly well. Why? Because it's apple and it doesn't have to be great for people to buy it.
    Yup its sad that non of the Palm commercials have touted multitasking by name..the other day i heard Droid commercial talking about multitasking and all and i was thinking why cant Palm do something like that..talk about it not just show a hot girl going swiping thru her cards say something about it.
    i've got my money on coverflow switching of apps...
    visual multitasking
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyM View Post
    There's no way the iPhone could pull off multitasking the way webOS does. They'll try, call it something other than multitasking, and pull it off amazingly well. Why? Because it's apple and it doesn't have to be great for people to buy it.
    Just keep telling yourself that, buddy. They already multitask in the browser better than Pre does. It's not THAT big a stretch that Apple could come up with a better visual multitasking solution. There are definitely areas in which even WebOS cards could be improved.

Not saying that's the case because we haven't seen or even had anything confirmed yet. But it's far easier for Apple to erase the advantages of the Palm Pre than vice versa.
    I'd think they'd have to switch the notification system at this point too.

But I'd think that they'll announce today, not release until June, which gives Palm more time to improve things.

With the userbase already behind the iPhone though, any improvements to the iPhone where they start to get some of the Pre's features are bad news for Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'd think they'd have to switch the notification system at this point too.

But I'd think that they'll announce today, not release until June, which gives Palm more time to improve things.

With the userbase already behind the iPhone though, any improvements to the iPhone where they start to get some of the Pre's features are bad news for Palm.
    I don't think it gives Palm time at all. There is no release window established for when AT&T will launch WebOS devices. Apple, meanwhile, is trafficking in certainty. You know the iPhone brand. These features are coming. They will be there around this date. So will a new iPhone. That might have some significant hardware updates.

Meanwhile, Palm will be slinging a Pre Plus, which has already failed on the nation's largest carrier and has almost identical specs and appearance to a phone announced in January of 2009. When can you get it on AT&T? In the coming months. Maybe.

Evo 4G is putting the competition pressure on at Sprint. The Incredible and Droid will do it at Verizon. This at AT&T. I'm not sure what software tweaks Palm can launch in two months that will magically change this.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I read somewhere their multitasking was Expose based, which if that's the case good on them. I still won't by one though.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    i've got my money on coverflow switching of apps...
    This would be an interesting solution. I've seen a few screenshots, but I'm too chicken to jailbreak my iPod touch to see it in action.

Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    I read somewhere their multitasking was Expose based, which if that's the case good on them. I still won't by one though.
    Yea that's what the second link is about. Not really an elegant solution IMO. I think the card system is what puts WebOS leaps and bounds ahead of the iPhone's current notifications system.

Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    Yup its sad that non of the Palm commercials have touted multitasking by name..the other day i heard Droid commercial talking about multitasking and all and i was thinking why cant Palm do something like that..talk about it not just show a hot girl going swiping thru her cards say something about it.
    +1. Get the word out that multitasking is the hot feature for this phone!
    Last edited by djclue8713; 04/05/2010 at 01:20 PM.
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Everything Data $69
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    @dj, we'll have to see. Expose works nicely for large laptop screens and will probably fit the bill on the ipad. On the iphone, I don't know. And how many apps will you be able to multitask, four? But I don't think you can count Apple out on this, especially if they incorporated multiple home screens like MAC OS (I forget what its called). They did a nice job with copy and paste, even though it took forever. This is one of the things that bothers me about Android, you can only get access to the last 6 apps you opened. So there are solutions, but I agree, none of them is quite as nice as WebOS. It'll be interesting to see if Apple stands tall on this. Lol, I still won't buy one though!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    @dj, we'll have to see. Expose works nicely for large laptop screens and will probably fit the bill on the ipad. On the iphone, I don't know. And how many apps will you be able to multitask, four? But I don't think you can count Apple out on this, especially if they incorporated multiple home screens like MAC OS (I forget what its called). They did a nice job with copy and paste, even though it took forever. This is one of the things that bothers me about Android, you can only get access to the last 6 apps you opened. So there are solutions, but I agree, none of them is quite as nice as WebOS. It'll be interesting to see if Apple stands tall on this. Lol, I still won't buy one though!
    ^ Amen to that!

I could definitely see Expose working out well on the iPad, but I think on phone it would be frustrating for users to navigate.

The multiple home screen thing you're talking about on MacOS. Kind of like on Ubuntu where you can swap workspaces? I find that feature very useful when I've got a cluttered Desktop.
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Everything Data $69
    Long as you can move easily between open apps and easily see which are "opened"

Mikah is correct about Palm. They've had almost a year to milk visual multitasking. It didn't happen, aint happening, and the window has shut to be honest.

Apple will knock this one out. Just wait..
    With all of the rumors of multitasking, and even the discovered comments regarding multitasking in the latest iPhone SDK, I honestly don't think that Apple will add multitasking to this next iPhone. Apple sells an experience and the user can cause slowdown and crashes as a result of multitasking, then the entire product has been degraded.
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gben83 View Post
    With all of the rumors of multitasking, and even the discovered comments regarding multitasking in the latest iPhone SDK, I honestly don't think that Apple will add multitasking to this next iPhone. Apple sells an experience and the user can cause slowdown and crashes as a result of multitasking, then the entire product has been degraded.
    Apple can likely throttle it so that only certain applications are REALLY multit-tasking, and the rest is a combo of saved state/push notifications.

As for crashes, they're no more immune than anyone else. I remember Safari - circa 2.x of the iPhone OS - was one of the most crash-prone apps I'd ever seen on a mobile device. Taking it on vacation when we first got our iPod Touch, we must've been dumped to the main screen 6-7 times a day using the resort's Wi-Fi.

I think Apple can start with a basic multitasking implementation and open it up from there. All they need to do is take that talking point off the table for "Droid" commercials. They can finetune as they go along.

Why was this never ON the table for Palm is a mystery for the ages. It's not often that someone gets an entire year to hammer Apple about a major feature their product has and Apple doesn't. I guess Palm thought it was no big deal...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Why was this never ON the table for Palm is a mystery for the ages. It's not often that someone gets an entire year to hammer Apple about a major feature their product has and Apple doesn't. I guess Palm thought it was no big deal...
    Exactly. Palm had a HUGE advantage over all the big players in the smart phone business for at least a year. The Droid teaser commercials that were on last fall really laid into the iPhone...iDont take pictures in the dark. iDont allow open development..iDont have a removable battery..etc Why didn't Palm jump on this when they had the chance? They could have touted their little multitasking machine all day long.

If/When Apple decides to implement true multitasking the entire Apple faithful will go nuts: "OMG I've never heard of this multitasking before! We're the first to have it! What's that you say? The concept has been around since CES 2009? Nah I have an iPhone therefore it's better"
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Everything Data $69
    I really don't think multitasking will be the big thing this go around. However, if it were the big thing, guaranteed they will grab all the cool WebOs stuff and repackage it and market it better... then patent the heck out of it and sue Palm.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    they'll be calling it "running in the background"...which could imply that its 'less than' multitasking.

Anyway..good for Apple. Maybe it'll force Palm to show it's cards for Pre2...get it...'cards'...lol. Seriously. I think Palm has been waiting for Apple to make the first move with OS4 before unveiling new hardware.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Because Palm went with the flow, the creepy lady, and the juggler for their ads...kinda reminds me of some Batman Villians back from the original series.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    the original Sprint commercials touted multitasking..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast