Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Podcast: Engadget Podcast 190: iPad Edition - 04.04.2010 -- Engadget

Review: Apple iPad review -- Engadget

Anyone else notice that the pod cast was a lot more negative than the review? I also found it very odd that they were comparing the iPad to the iPhone and other smartphones. It was my understanding that the iPad was supposed to replace netbooks. Why not compare it to other netbooks that are available?
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    I thought the ipad was not a netbook replacement. It's suppose to be a new category.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    I thought the ipad was not a netbook replacement. It's suppose to be a new category.
    Well...that is what Apple said, but practically speaking, what am I going to forgo buying when I buy an iPad?

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Well...that is what Apple said, but practically speaking, what am I going to forgo buying when I buy an iPad?
    A netbook can do a lot more than an iPad for a lot less money. OTOH, the iPad can do almost everything an iPhone can do except make calls.
    you've got a point...
    im mostly considering it for the E-Reader function. ive been wanting a kindle for a while, but havent taken the plunge yet. since my main need is the ereader, the ipad is appealing to me since it can do several other things as well. plus, im not a big fan of the e-ink thing, since i mostly read at night.

is it magical and revolutionary? no. is it going to replace netbooks? no.

im just wondering if i should wait for "ipad 2.0". it never fails with apple, they end up making their products obsolete very quickly. their commercials should go like this:
    "coming april 3rd at 8am, ipad, tons of features, and way easy to use. only from apple..........coming apple 3rd just before lunch, ipad 2.0, more great features, newer newness, and easier to use. only, from apple..........coming april 3rd, sometime around happy hour, ipad 3 nano. has all the same crap as the first 2, but now, its the size of a hydrogen atom. only from apple. "
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    A netbook can do a lot more than an iPad for a lot less money. OTOH, the iPad can do almost everything an iPhone can do except make calls.
    Exactly, so the iPad doesn't replace my phone, and it doesn't replace my netbook, or laptop, or desktop. The damn thing can't even open up a text file, that you email to yourself, for editing. You clearly can't use the thing unless you have a laptop/desktop/netbook for it to sync with.

I get it as a very capable e-reader, but don't forget the books are more expensive for iBook, and they only work on the iPad. If you buy a kindle book, they work on the iPhone, kindle and other kindle capable readers.

Engadget also mentioned that it is really heavy. After 5 minutes of holding it in one hand, your arm gets really tired. They called it "the world's heaviest magazine."

I like the idea of a tablet. I really do. I will say that watching them pinch zoom on something super responsive makes me salivate, but I just can't get over some of the stupidity on the iPad. I have high hopes for what the HP slate will show off.

I get it as a very capable e-reader, but don't forget the books are more expensive for iBook, and they only work on the iPad.
    Unfortunately, Jobs' prediction was right, and Amazon has recently been forced by the publishers to push up their prices.

E-book prices to rise as Amazon, Sony adopt agency model
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Unfortunately, Jobs' prediction was right, and Amazon has recently been forced by the publishers to push up their prices.

E-book prices to rise as Amazon, Sony adopt agency model
    True, but again, I believe the iBook books have DRM on them, while the kindle ones do not.

True, but again, I believe the iBook books have DRM on them, while the kindle ones do not.
    Kindle ones do as well. Kindle uses two different file types. The DRM on one type has been cracked, the DRM on the other type has not.

But, here's the other thing: Kindle's formats are in general poor for formatting / typesetting purposes of anything more than standard text. The iBooks store uses the new industry standard (albeit with their own proprietary DRM) ePub format, which is much better at handling that sort of thing, since it's based on XHTML.

Sony's Reader store also uses ePub, though they use the industry standard DRM (by Adobe) and not anything proprietary.

Personally, I do not have an iPad and won't be buying one. When I buy books, I buy ePub stuff from Sony if at all possible, and then remove the DRM. What's nice is that iBooks would support that if I did have one. The Kindle doesn't support that format, despite it being a standard.

But yeah, if I wanted to read eBooks on anything other than my two tablet PCs that I already have, I'd want something with e-ink. I'm still keeping my eye on the iRex DR800SG for a 9" reader that's smaller than the Kindle and actually has a pen so (eventually, when they release a software update) I could write in my books as well.
    The way it works is that reviews or shows get sponsored (Paid) to show whatever they are paid for. I've noticed Josh been more himself on the podcasts and less objective when writing reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    The way it works is that reviews or shows get sponsored (Paid) to show whatever they are paid for. I've noticed Josh been more himself on the podcasts and less objective when writing reviews.
    I don't personally subscribe to the theory that it has to do with sponsorships and being paid.

Honestly, there's a huge difference in style in writing a review and talking on a podcast. For a good review, you really have to put bias and personal preferences aside and try and be as objective as possible, for as wide an audience as possible. On a podcast, you can express more personal beliefs.

They're two hugely different formats, and to do things right, you have to address things each in their own way.
    I don't personally subscribe to the theory that it has to do with sponsorships and being paid.

Honestly, there's a huge difference in style in writing a review and talking on a podcast. For a good review, you really have to put bias and personal preferences aside and try and be as objective as possible, for as wide an audience as possible. On a podcast, you can express more personal beliefs.

They're two hugely different formats, and to do things right, you have to address things each in their own way.
    This. No conspiracy, no misdirection, and certainly no sponsoring or influence from Apple. Just two very different forms of media.
    Speaking from experience, the iPad is quite a bit faster at most of the things that I had used my netbook for.

It's a damn fast device. Personally, I'm really enjoying mine. It's probably the best tech purchase I've made in quite sometime.
  15.    #15  
    Kindle ones do as well. Kindle uses two different file types. The DRM on one type has been cracked, the DRM on the other type has not.

But, here's the other thing: Kindle's formats are in general poor for formatting / typesetting purposes of anything more than standard text. The iBooks store uses the new industry standard (albeit with their own proprietary DRM) ePub format, which is much better at handling that sort of thing, since it's based on XHTML.

Sony's Reader store also uses ePub, though they use the industry standard DRM (by Adobe) and not anything proprietary.

Personally, I do not have an iPad and won't be buying one. When I buy books, I buy ePub stuff from Sony if at all possible, and then remove the DRM. What's nice is that iBooks would support that if I did have one. The Kindle doesn't support that format, despite it being a standard.

But yeah, if I wanted to read eBooks on anything other than my two tablet PCs that I already have, I'd want something with e-ink. I'm still keeping my eye on the iRex DR800SG for a 9" reader that's smaller than the Kindle and actually has a pen so (eventually, when they release a software update) I could write in my books as well.
    I stand corrected.

16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    Speaking from experience, the iPad is quite a bit faster at most of the things that I had used my netbook for.

It's a damn fast device. Personally, I'm really enjoying mine. It's probably the best tech purchase I've made in quite sometime.
    Would you mind sharing why you bought it? Was it just an "oooo shiny gadget" purchase or do you plan to have it fulfill a niche in your life? And don't be ashamed of the ooo shiny gadget response, I have bought plenty of things for that reason

E-reader mostly. But the fact it can do other things as well.

Replaces a Kindle and ipod touch for me. Maybe even an iphone depending on what apple has in mind in a few months.
    I'm waiting for 3G, but I see this device replacing simple uses like typing on this forum for instance, or watching a couple trailers, emails, streaming some movies and reading some blogs. If you're a heavy PC user then it most definitely won't suffice your needs especially if you already own an iPhone, netbook, or kindle. However I'm pretty sure after this device has been out there for a couple months it slowly will start replacing more pc usage.

I tend to spend about 2-4 hours on my computer from time to time and its mostly for entertainment. When I'm out and about a smartphone is fine and dandy for minor internet usage and its okay because I've grown accustomed to it. Bring the iPad into the picture with 3G, I can spend more time outdoors without feeling disconnected or crippled by a small screen. This is the main reason for 3G for me. I'm also trying to figure out a car mounting solution for this thing.
  19.    #19  
    Don't get into a car accident.

It may be speedy at opening apps and being responsive, but the web browsing experience of the iPad is still smartphone-caliber instead of netbook/laptop caliber, and that's inexcusable for a $500+ device that is supposedly superior to netbooks, IMHO.

I don't want a 10-inch screen device where I have to wait 14-20 seconds for it to load graphic heavy sites like Engadget and Gizmodo. I already have that on a smaller scale.

I also don't want a computer that needs another computer to function fully (i.e. most printing, loading media, updates, etc.).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast