Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    On the topic of being fully functional, I am not sure if the iPad can sync document files. I know it really doesn't have a scheme for saving files, so I have no idea how you move files to and from it. The engadget podcast mentioned that it couldn't open email attachments for editing.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    That's because getting any sort of work done on that is not even secondary...hell, barely tertiary compared to the prime functions of consuming and paying for media. That's what that device exists for.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It may be speedy at opening apps and being responsive, but the web browsing experience of the iPad is still smartphone-caliber instead of netbook/laptop caliber, and that's inexcusable for a $500+ device that is supposedly superior to netbooks, IMHO.

I don't want a 10-inch screen device where I have to wait 14-20 seconds for it to load graphic heavy sites like Engadget and Gizmodo. I already have that on a smaller scale.

I also don't want a computer that needs another computer to function fully (i.e. most printing, loading media, updates, etc.).
    It's not a computer or replacement. I wouldn't even think of trying to do anything productive on it. In addition, it's still beta a bit in that it crashes out of apps way too often.

And yep, web surfing is still too slow for this type of device. It really does feel like a larger ipod touch. Maybe slightly faster but definitely nowhere near netbook or laptop speeds. Text is a little fuzzy unless you zoom in some. I have a 400 dollar acer 1410 that kills the ipad in speed and features. 11.6 HD screen, similar battery life, etc.

Some are saying netflix is the killer app. So what? I got the real thing on the small laptop.

I think part of the appeal of smartphones is having all this in your pocket. Netflix on your phone? Now that's something worthwhile to talk about.

I am mixed on it though. I could easily see returning the iPad and forgetting about it. I wouldn't have to worry about buying new apps for an iPad...and you have to do this since the iphone ones look like garbage on it. I also wouldn't worry about formatting video for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Don't get into a car accident.
    You should see what I have in there now. Its a Kenwood DDX8019, it has the worst interface known to man, its like they traveled back to 1995 and picked up whatever OS they had lying around for this thing. There have been plenty of times where I just diverted all of my attention to it while driving just to get the crappy touchscreen to do what I want.

I think the iPad being capacitive, and multitouch will eliminate a lot frustration if I can get a nice in-dash mount for it. Hopefully some front-end software group like Centrafuse can make a nice app for this as well. If not, the iTunes setup and GPS should be enough. I just wish Apple incorporated more use out of the iPhone as well. I mean most people that will buy this thing already own an iPhone, why couldn't they create some remote interface between the two, or add some type of bluetooth speakerphone function.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    On the topic of being fully functional, I am not sure if the iPad can sync document files. I know it really doesn't have a scheme for saving files, so I have no idea how you move files to and from it. The engadget podcast mentioned that it couldn't open email attachments for editing.
    I think this is something even iPhone users have problems with. It really doesn't even make sense. My Centro could do this with out issue. Hopefully the Jailbreak can fix this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12