Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLOL View Post
    The marketing hits the right demographic though. Mindless sheep.
    Yeah well, many of those mindless sheep are putting palm out of business. Everyone can take the higher than thou approach, but not everyone is a geek, people simply see,like,buy. And palm hasn't provoked that yet. While we have multitasking, people are drooling over the radio playing while doing something else, simply because the commercial shows that it can do it, and they think, man, my razor doesnt do that.
    The funny thing is, that screen they show in the ad is not a screen for opened apps, it's just the 6 most recent apps, if you have 1 app (or zero) open, you see 6... if you have 7 apps open, you also see 6
    I'm not worried. WebOS does multitasking much better. Palm should just put all these phones side by side, to show the WebOS in all its glory. People just don't under multitasking.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by PHANTOM_PAIN View Post
    I'm not worried. WebOS does multitasking much better. Palm should just put all these phones side by side, to show the WebOS in all its glory. People just don't under multitasking.
    If you are not worried than you are naive. Palm needs to show off close ups of WebOS, something they still will not do. I don't know if I would put the phone up against each other though.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    They are also the reason why the droid beat the iphone to one million sales and why the Pre still hasn't hit one million.

Love them or hate them, they clearly state, and show what the phone can do, something no Palm/WebOS/Pre commercial has done yet. Palm needs a straight forward, up close ad showing off WebOS. And they needed it 3 months ago. Even if Palm shows off multitasking now, people will already have thought that the droid did it first.
    Uh, you mean 9 months ago. Everybody knows this, but I think the single biggest factor in Palm's poor sales performance is poor marketing. They've never explained to their potential customers why they need a webOS device more than all the other stuff out there. I think they planned on competing only with the iPhone and Android's success has caught them off guard (and they still haven't formulated a response to this day, despite having a better product in many ways).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    OMG this was so brilliant! Why palm couldn't do something like this 8+ months ago is beyond me.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    just saw both coommercials andd I must say they suck it's straight garbage.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    palm's days are officially numbered.
  9.    #29  
    Another thing is the second commercial, the one talking about star maps, talks about apps using each other and cross talking. This is something that WebOS does very well, but was never advertised well. This advertising advantage has also passed.

I really don't know what Palm can sell objectively any more. When the EVO lands, they won't even be able to say mobile hot spot is uniquely theirs.

All that is left are subjectives, and that is a very, very hard sell against the iPhone and the multiple skins of android.

Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    The funny thing is, that screen they show in the ad is not a screen for opened apps, it's just the 6 most recent apps, if you have 1 app (or zero) open, you see 6... if you have 7 apps open, you also see 6
    Well, all of the browser windows run in ONE app, and with FriendStream, all of your Facebook and Twitter runs in ONE app. Even if you were doing email, navigation, and Slacker all at the same time, it would still all show up on this popup. On WebOS, you'd have maybe 4 browser cards, cards for Facebook and Twitter, email, navigation, and Slacker, and you'd have to go between them in a slow and linear fashion.

Android's multitasking is not as intuitive and visual as Palm's, but it is more robust, and the stacked implementation of apps like the Android browser and Gmail app mean you have to open far less "cards" to do multiple instances and tasks within a single app. Apps also open WAY faster.
    Advertising is important, absolutely, but so is in-store sales. Verizon has also been incredibly effective for the Droid. If they were even remotely even-handed in how they sold the Pre Plus and the Droid, I'll bet the Pre Plus would win at least half the battles, advertising be damned.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    This is what I expect from a Smartphone device and Droid should market their multitasking if they have it. The fact that Palm won't do it is beyond stupid, its just ignorant.

I mean really, how hard would it be for Palm to create a commercial of three phones, a generic looking Android and iPhone (to prevent lawsuits), and the Pre sitting right in the middle. Walk through a simple scenario many people go through in life, like getting an address or phone number to some restaurant, or copy and pasting some info for an email, show how it looks on a Pre (card swiping), Android, and iPhone. All this happening with calls, notifications, calendar events popping up, Add some catchy music. Bam. Great commercial.

I agree with Complex Pants though...its way too late in the game (like 12 months late) for this now. Hopefully after they're bought out the new owners will keep WebOS running.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    If you are not worried than you are naive. Palm needs to show off close ups of WebOS, something they still will not do. I don't know if I would put the phone up against each other though.
    Yeah...the Pre's micro screen compared to other devices would probably turn off more customers than it would generate. Maybe they could just show the OSes side by side without them being in a phone. Then once the ad is over they could just bring that screen right into the Pre and call it a day.
    ive been a pretty hardcore pre believer since day 1. however im also a realist.
    the main way for a phone/os/tech device to be sold is to have ppl understand why they should get it above something else. When all the competition is pretty much saying that they have what the pre's MAIN feature is....pre loses its competitive advantage. even if the pre does it better....what customers are hearing is the droid does it. All they are seeing on the pre is a bunch of random screens floating around.

if u say "this phone multitasks!"
    vs
    *floaty card thingys*

which is more understood? i do not understand why palm doesnt just specifically talk about multitasking. they made such a big deal about it at CES2009....why not continue making a big deal of it?
    Last edited by cnote1287; 04/03/2010 at 01:30 AM.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Advertising is important, absolutely, but so is in-store sales. Verizon has also been incredibly effective for the Droid. If they were even remotely even-handed in how they sold the Pre Plus and the Droid, I'll bet the Pre Plus would win at least half the battles, advertising be damned.
    I think the story of Palm from 2009-2010 is going to become a case study in a lot of business schools in the years to come.

don't forget the fact that palm is going up against a apple refresh with year old hardware. I haven't seen a good commercial yet. even the latest one isn't that good. its only good to guys looking at the dyme walking down the street. if you didn't know anything about the webos, would you understand what she's doing with the cards? My wife didn't!!! I showed her a droid does commercial and she got it. Only thing the webos has over other OS's is multitasking, 3d games and notifications, I also love palms front facing qwerty design (i wish the pixi was bigger and more powerful though). But what use is multitasking if i don't have slingplayer, kinoma and biblereader4 to multitask with. Palm is losing its advantages fast. The longer it takes the pre to come to AT&T the more the nexus one or some other 1ghz android phone is looking to me. as much a i hate virtual keyboards the iphone is start to look good to me also.

I've had a palm device on me for over a decade. I've went from a Palm Pilot Professional to the m505 to the all mighty tapwave zodiac to the treo 680 to the treo pro. For the first time i don't really know what my next device will be.

P.S. motionapps get kinoma and slingplayer working in classic
    bump
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Awesome! I'm dying for the Evo to hit the shelves.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12