Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I already own an iPod Touch, a Pre, and and a Dell 530s. I own a m1330 too but I refuse to use it anymore since its too underpowered for me. My dilemma is whether I should get an iPad or not and if I do decide on getting one should I go for the Wifi version, which will be available tomorrow (April 3rd), or the 3G version, which will be available late April.

To prevent some of the common Apple hate that I too agree with, let me say I know all about the limits of this thing. I know it lacks the most basic of basics like an SD slot, and multitasking. They probably even locked down the USB function I can get on my iPod 5G (they did with the iPod Touch). Even with all the limits of this thing there are still a handful of apps I would love to have on a bigger portable screen:

1. Air Video; An amazing on the fly video converter for iPod Touch, watch all the movies you own wirelessly without having to abide by Apples crappy video standards.
    2. Safari; Even though I would love it more to have a Firefox App instead, Websites are a major reason for my computer use.
    3. Remote Desktop; This would make life a lot easier for me and allow me a little more flexibility in where I work. I have this on my iPod Touch and Pre but the interface and screen is too small to get any type of major work done.

Those are basically the only things I need. I really wish Palm got their crap together and licensed out their OS because if say, the Joojoo got WebOS, this post wouldn't have even been thought of. It really sucks to have to buy something you know you really don't want but because there's no competition you have to settle. Maybe I'll just wait, but look at what's coming in the future. You have the HP Slate, its not locked down but running a full OS that was designed for keyboard and mouse. That only spells trouble and major lag.

The really amazing long lasting Notion Ink's Adam is being developed, but no pricing or availability. For all we know they might even get sued by Apple for something petty because its so great and cause it to die or be postphoned even longer. The much hyped Courier, a dream in itself, has no real video, plausible pictures, which could only mean it was just a prototype design or nothing real at all. I mean writing on a screen hasn't even been perfected yet. I highly doubt Microsoft cracked this with everything else they're doing right now.

The options are scarce. I could always go for a netbook, but the lag would kill me. At least with Apple's "one task at a time" thinking there is a big emphasis on speed and quality, something that Apple never lacks.
    Last edited by likeobama; 04/19/2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: their to they're
    An overpriced over sized ipod touch, no thanks.
    No Thanks!!!!
    you shouldnt fot the simple reason that just about any other device tablet or otherwise will give you more for your money
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    If you decide to one and you have tethering set-up on your Pre there is little need to get the 3G version.

Now that Verizon has reduced the price of WIFI Hotspot to $0 for my Pixi Plus I am awfully tempted to get the entry level iPad for some killer on-the-go web browsing.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    An overpriced over sized ipod touch, no thanks.
    The price is high but so will every other Tablet coming in the future. Look at the Joojoo, from the brief review on engadget its like 599, and its not even an OS, it doesn't even look like it will last long in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    you shouldnt fot the simple reason that just about any other device tablet or otherwise will give you more for your money
    Believe me, if the Notion Adam were out or gave me pricing and availability I would be laughing at the iPad with the rest of them.

Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    If you decide to one and you have tethering set-up on your Pre there is little need to get the 3G version.

Now that Verizon has reduced the price of WIFI Hotspot to $0 for my Pixi Plus I am awfully tempted to get the entry level iPad for some killer on-the-go web browsing.
    But the 3G version has a compass, GPS, not to mention the Emergency internet if you so need it or my Pre goes dead like it just did today (after being fully charged this morning and died by noon). It also would be an amazing car interface too if Centrafuse or someone similar made an App for it. I'm still debating but it just seems too much like my iPod Touch not to get 3G. I don't want to realize later how stupid it was to get a Wifi only version. But then again will I really be walking around outside of my house with this thing. I don't live in New York. I don't really hang out in Star Bucks all that much. I would feel like a total a##wipe being seen with one of these. But maybe that will change so I'm up in the air still.
    Here's 2 reasons not to buy the 1st gen. anyway.

iPad reportedly overheating in the sun | iPad Atlas - CNET Reviews

iPad: Weak or fluctuating Wi-Fi signals | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

You seem leaning toward "buy", BUT I wouldn't buy anything until Apple addresses these.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I messed with one at Best buy tonight. I must say, I'd much rather buy another laptop than drop $500 on a silly gimmick.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

You seem leaning toward "buy", BUT I wouldn't buy anything until Apple addresses these.
    lmao thanks
    I love my iPad. It does not overheat, and my WiFi is working great.

I no longer use my netbook or kindle anymore since it arrived. Sitting on my porch, reading ebooks or streaming netflix movies is awesome.

I played Plants Vs. Zombies on it for 3 hours yesterday and the battery barely moved.

One of the best purchases I made in awhile. Really enjoying it.
    Regardless of whether you're for or against the ipad I bet if you wait the prices will come down.
    I bought one Saturday afternoon (saw it at Best Buy at lunch, did NOT buy, went home for several hours and learned about the NetFlix app, then returned to Best Buy and got a 64 gig iPad). I've never owned an Apple device before. Here are my comments:

1) Contrary to what the Apple rep (they had them at Best Buy for the opening) told me, you must have a computer with iTunes installed to establish your iTunes account and do anything at all with your iPad. My bud who is my computer guru is deeply suspicious of iTunes, I ended up pulling out an obsolete notebook and installed iTunes to start up my iPad.

2) Don't plan on doing any lengthy typing on it. For me at least, typing becomes intolerable after awhile--No comfortable position, no tactile feedback, and I have to hunt and peck. On the plus side, the keys are large and well-separated, and there is good audio feedback. Oh, and there's no apostrophe on the home keyboard with letters. I'm told the correct thing to do is to just type "cant" for instance, and let the machine autocorrect.

3) I am an avid user of an Amazon Kindle. The iPad is not an acceptable permanent substitute, it is too heavy, and I can't lounge back and hold the iPad in one hand, while turning pages with a thumb twitch like I can on my Kindle. The Kindle app works well, and it is easy to move your books to the iPad. So this will be a tolerable short term reader for when I travel.

4) I love the Netflix app. Streaming video that you can carry around is totally wondrous!

5) I like the iPad as a web browser I can carry around to my recliner or elsewhere in the house. Though the wifi seems to drop the signal during long downloads, forcing me to re-enter my iTunes password (somehow this doesn't seem to happen during Netflix streaming, perhaps it is buffered?).

6) As mentioned previously, the screen is absolutely awesome! Brilliant sharp image on video.

7) iTunes store works well and is convenient (too convenient!). Video files are BIG, and take a long time to download via wifi. Know going in that you are going to pay at least $9.99 for a feature length movie, though. More if you want HD. I haven't tried the movie rental feature, but it looks pretty cool. If you want to buy a lot of videos and store them on your iPad, better get a 32 gig, or better yet a 64 gig iPad! A season of Star Trek: Deep Space 9 takes about 10 gig, a typical normal-res movie takes 1.5 to 1.8 gig (much more for HD).

8) Apps store has been discussed elsewhere. Lots of cool apps, but it can be tough to find apps if you don't know what you want going in. I bought the Elements app that has gotten so much applause from reviewers, and I like it, though I'm not as impressed with it as the gushing reviewers seem to have been. Still very cool if you are a science geek, as I am.

9) An OS upgrade for the iPhone is coming, speculation is that this will have some form of multitasking, and that the OS upgrade will go to the iPad this summer.

I bought the iPad for two purposes--As a wireless web and Netflix viewer for around the house, and as an entertainment center for video/music/web when I travel. I believe it will be good for both of those, though I don't travel with it for a couple of weeks. I'm not in love with it, and I've had a bit of buyer's remorse over what I paid!
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

I just heard about this yesterday and this is definitely going to be a problem. I was thinking of putting this in a car during drives, seeing how its summer, it will overheat fast. Regarding the Wifi signal I need to wait and see what happens with the 3G version reviews. There is a black plastic strip on the back which hopefully allows better communication compared to a full aluminum backing.

If Apple doesn't address these issues I'm probably going to wait for the Notion Ink, or the newly announced Gemini.
  14.    #14  
    Does anyone know if while in landscape mode and the screen shuts off, the iPad shows a slide to unlock screen in landscape mode rather than portrait. I keep seeing portrait modes everywhere.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    Does anyone know if while in landscape mode and the screen shuts off, the iPad shows a slide to unlock screen in landscape mode rather than portrait. I keep seeing portrait modes everywhere.
    Yes, the unlock goes into landscape as well.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    I think to have a better I would check out the homebrew community. Go to TiPB's forums. Read their comments. Head to bigger forums and see what the majority's views are.

What I look for is support and/or usability. The Pre won me with usability but I feel lucky we have great support from everyone. I would expect the same for the iPhone just because it's using the same OS and that they've created more APIs to use.

Although I like the form of it, I'm holding out on the microsoft courier. Just because the concept inspires some creativity in me.
    no thanks, it doesn't satisfy me need
  18.    #18  
    Geohot and company have a Jailbreak! The iPad just keeps getting better and better the longer I wait. Upcoming Jailbreak, Late April 3G version, Fall Release of iPad's iPhone OS 4.0=Win.

I really don't see anymore disadvantages.
    http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....ak-comex-2.png
    Quote Originally Posted by onedrunkduck View Post
    no thanks, it doesn't satisfy me need
    I love how people are responding as if the op was asking them if THEY should buy an iPad. "No thanks," as it's all about you.

Anyway, there have been some good points made about the iPad, but I will add that the speaker system is the $#!+.

I played a video podcast, cranked the volume up and could hear it throughout my modest home.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I love how people are responding as if the op was asking them if THEY should buy an iPad. "No thanks," as it's all about you.

Anyway, there have been some good points made about the iPad, but I will add that the speaker system is the $#!+.

I played a video podcast, cranked the volume up and could hear it throughout my modest home.
    your home must be really modest :-) Just kidding.

I played with the iPad for the first time today. It's a great device with a few flaws. I will definitely get one...it's just a question of when and which version.
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast