Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Yep and Sprint would be smart to leave everything alone and tell AT&T customers who don't travel overseas too much to blow AT&T off, if you ask me. This is a boon for both Sprint and T-Mobile. And if Verizon decides not to act like AT&T, they too could benefit.

But I do keep seeing they're considering tiered too, although tiered works IF the price is reasonable. On AT&T it is NOT. Taking 60% data allotment off and only reducing by $5 is a joke. As of now, you get a better deal sticking on unlimited for just $5 more.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Unless you already have it. Then you get to keep it. I agree though, it's obvious that at$t were surprised by the success of the 3G model and are now looking to cash in.

Give me my iPad and iPhone on Verizon and I will be very happy (though they are changing their data pricing too)
    But that MAY cost them sales now. Dumb move IMO. Now I'm thinking of just getting an Evo for unlimted data and the big screen. People keep saying the Evo is huge, so maybe it can function as an all-in-one tablet and phone. This city has 4G so the $10 charge is fine with me.

Although AT&T claims you can keep your data plan on AT&T if you have it, none of their phones have a big enough screen to double as a tablet. Except maybe the iPhone HD coming out. We'll know on Monday.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    But that MAY cost them sales now. Dumb move IMO. Now I'm thinking of just getting an Evo for unlimted data and the big screen. People keep saying the Evo is huge, so maybe it can function as an all-in-one tablet and phone. This city has 4G so the $10 charge is fine with me.

Although AT&T claims you can keep your data plan on AT&T if you have it, none of their phones have a big enough screen to double as a tablet. Except maybe the iPhone HD coming out. We'll know on Monday.
    Since you live in a 4G area, you should definitely try one out. I would if i did. But i don't. So i won't. :P

As far as similar android tablets go, they're coming.
    Most tablets generally don't have the built in 3G radio though, do they? That was the benefit of the 3G iPad. I wonder if someone else will make a tablet with a built in 3G or even 4G radio and perhaps choose another carrier to contract through.

5.    #145  
    Most tablets generally don't have the built in 3G radio though, do they? That was the benefit of the 3G iPad. I wonder if someone else will make a tablet with a built in 3G or even 4G radio and perhaps choose another carrier to contract through.
    Knowing Sprint we won't see a tablet for another year which really sucks seeing how they can really bank in on a new customer base. Dan Hesse needs to have a meeting with Steve Jobs to get him to move Apple products over. I can never really see myself leaving Sprint because they're cheaper than every other carrier but leech off of Verizon networks so I'm basically getting double the network for roughly half the price.
  6.    #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The way it works with Apple is that if you want the iPhone or iPad, you have to give up a ton of control and money in return for new customers. Sprint is actually in a good position to benefit from the new customers but they would have to heavily subsidize the iPhones and set up a separate rate structure for users. They simply can't do this upgrade every year thing if they are paying Apple $400 per phone or something like that.
    I would pay $700+ for a Sprint CDMA iPhone 4G and I'm sure others would too. AT&T has so much power wielding the iPhone and iPad around. They can do as they please with plans, I'm actually surprised they didn't pull this stunt years ago with the data charges.

Sprint wouldn't even need to subsidize. Even if the CDMA version is crazy expensive throwing it on Sprint makes all the difference. You're saving rougly $200-$500+ a year for service.
    If it's that much, it needs to have a world GSM dual option, like those Blackberries. $700 for a CDMA phone is outrageous IMO.

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    I LOVE MY IPAD.......even more than my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Since you live in a 4G area, you should definitely try one out. I would if i did. But i don't. So i won't. :P

As far as similar android tablets go, they're coming.
    Did you mean this?

Dell Streak: $500 unlocked in US, available next month -- Engadget

It's also supposed to be on AT&T but with that 2GB limit, I'm still not sure. Although my Android phone draws less data that I thought.

We shall see iPad 3G sales go down. I doubt it.

Also, I played with the EVO for a few hours today. While huge for a phone, its way to small to be a tablet replacement. Its a weird in between device.

The Dell streak is only a little bigger, and makes no sense at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    I LOVE MY IPAD.......even more than my Pre.
    Agreed. I pair mine with my Pre Plus and it works pretty good.
    We shall see iPad 3G sales go down. I doubt it.

Also, I played with the EVO for a few hours today. While huge for a phone, its way to small to be a tablet replacement. Its a weird in between device.

The Dell streak is only a little bigger, and makes no sense at all.

Without the Unlimited, it makes the 3G one less attractive. I think the wifi one will still sell, but AT&T gimped the 3G one. Even if they went to 5GB, it'd be better than just 2GB. The iPad draws more bandwidth than a phone, I'm sure. Someone said they quickly went through the 250MB just streaming a movie and being online.

If I got the Evo, I could put the cash saved toward a 16GB card and still get the same function as the 3G iPad. Smaller screen yes I know, but all I wanted was to get email and some surfing on a decent sized screen, without taking my laptop and also not having to pay overpriced hotel internet. The only drawback is I really didn't need the phone service(why the 3G iPad was perfect), but now I have to reconsider my options.

Without the Unlimited, it makes the 3G one less attractive. I think the wifi one will still sell, but AT&T gimped the 3G one. Even if they went to 5GB, it'd be better than just 2GB. The iPad draws more bandwidth than a phone, I'm sure. Someone said they quickly went through the 250MB just streaming a movie and being online.

If I got the Evo, I could put the cash saved toward a 16GB card and still get the same function as the 3G iPad. Smaller screen yes I know, but all I wanted was to get email and some surfing on a decent sized screen, without taking my laptop and also not having to pay overpriced hotel internet. The only drawback is I really didn't need the phone service(why the 3G iPad was perfect), but now I have to reconsider my options.
    It's the smaller screen that makes it less functional than the iPad. Technically, you can probably do most things on the evo you can do on the iPad, but the experience wouldn't be nearly as good.
    But I'm not willing to pay more for less at this point. The Evo offers more, even with a smaller screen. But I'm still weighing options. Right now the iPad is off the list though, thanks to AT&T.

Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    You really have to wonder how much a control freak like Steve Jobs will put up with having a single carrier and just put iPhone OS devices on all carriers. While I don't necessarily disagree with their 2GB limit for phone plans since it's $5/mo savings ($60/yr) because 98% of smartphone users use less than 2GB data, the iPad is primarily a consumption device so I could see how people will easily hit 2GB with netflix or eventually hulu. I teetered a long time on a 16GB 3G iPad vs 32GB WiFi and am VERY glad I went with 32GB because these limits are tough.

It's not a bad option and your plan was what I intended BEFORE getting the iPad. But now that I have the iPad I'm not sure. 4.3" would work well enough for most things in comparison like video playback and light book reading. But the EVO would offer a lot more useful options like video conference (something severely lacking on the iPad) and portability (I rarely take the iPad out of the house but the Phone goes with me everywhere).

I don't regret my iPad decision at all because around the house it's replaced my notebook and I really really like it now. But if I had a financial decision between the two then I'd lean to the EVO because it would be easier to justify.
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/05/2010 at 01:33 PM.
    But I'm not willing to pay more for less at this point. The Evo offers more, even with a smaller screen. But I'm still weighing options. Right now the iPad is off the list though, thanks to AT&T.
    There's other ways to provide 3G to an ipad. Overdrive, mifi, hotspot app on a palm pre or Evo, etc.

Your signature claims you have a jailbroken iphone. Mywi is 10 dollars away. Keep old data plan and these new plans don't apply to you.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Agreed. I pair mine with my Pre Plus and it works pretty good.
    or my EVO and some 4g......
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Someone made a chart of Data Usage for the iPad. For me its unrealistic usage because I'd be on WiFi if chugging that much video, but its interesting still.

How Much Video Can You Actually Stream With AT&T’s New Data Plans?
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Not...
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    iPhone 4 is a good reason not to buy this gens iPad.

As much praise as the new high res iPhone screen gets, it still won't make a 3.5" device ideal for book reading or video playback, but on an iPad it would really enhance the experience.

But also, the FaceTime video chat is WiFi only so with such a limited usage restriction (for now) then it would be perfect for a FaceTime capable iPad.

And finally, iMovie. As cool as it is on the iPhone, it would be much easier on an iPad. I hope they also do an iPhoto/aperture lite for us.

I bought a "cheaper" non 3G model specifically because I'll ebay it the moment a new high res/camera comes out so my "rental fee" should be tolerable.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast