Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
  1.    #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Sounds good to me. On par with the iPhone. I am actually really impressed with the external speaker. At bed time my kids love listening to the Disney read along books. It is loud and clear enough that four small children can understand.
    I must of been playing with a busted one at Best Buy. Mine sounded a tad bit louder than an iPod Touch 3G. I even checked to see if there was a volume lock preventing the volume from getting louder.

I would never recommend a full desktop OS for a tablet. I have used one in the past running Windows XP and it was not a good experience. Trying to run Windows apps not written for a touch interface was less than fun. HP realized this, that is why they canceled their Slate device.
    I agree. Full OSes on tablets are for business professionals who can do without all the glamor of devices like the iPad. They need a digital pen, a full OS, the keyboard, CD/DVD drive, maybe even a floppy, lol, etc.. Many simpletons need basic things...an internet browser, games, apps and they're content. Once HP and other tablet manufacturers (the ones developing tablets for full OSes) get this, then we might start seeing iPad competition.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    I would never recommend a full desktop OS for a tablet. I have used one in the past running Windows XP and it was not a good experience. Trying to run Windows apps not written for a touch interface was less than fun. HP realized this, that is why they canceled their Slate device.
    Hm, why was it unpleasant? Accuracy? Response? Navigation? Just wondering...
    I have my own reasons for wanting a tablet. And as many have said, it's not worth it.

Are apps written for touch interfaces really that different from normal apps? I see it as just a change of proportions, buttons larger, fonts remain same/readable, input is made to accommodate for the inaccuracy a tap.

I was reading around and these are some programs that can make the experience much easier:
    Modlock
    GMote
    Quote Originally Posted by SDash View Post
    Hm, why was it unpleasant? Accuracy? Response? Navigation? Just wondering...
    I have my own reasons for wanting a tablet. And as many have said, it's not worth it.

Are apps written for touch interfaces really that different from normal apps? I see it as just a change of proportions, buttons larger, fonts remain same/readable, input is made to accommodate for the inaccuracy a tap.

I was reading around and these are some programs that can make the experience much easier:
    Modlock
    GMote
    apps written for a touch os have controls meant to be used by your fingers. Apps written for windows are intended to be used for a mouse. Having to go through the menu's in excel or outlook using your fingers gets old very quick.
    the ipad is a nice really nice device w/some sweet apps (netflix!!). I wouldn't mind having one, but I don't need another device to go on the internet with. that's what it boils down to for me. Plus, I don't have $500 to spend right now. Textbooks/tuition first (and maybe a Pre+)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

Err, I'm still interested in opinions on sound quality of music and video through a good pair of earphones? Any opinions from the owners? I probably won't be using the speaker too much, unless in the house. Thanks!
    I hadn't commented because I feel like anyone who asks that question is more of an audiophiles than I, so my opinion would be worthless.

With that in-mind, I dig how it sounds and works - through wired AND Bluetooth headsets/earbuds.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I wonder if they'll have a better supply by September, they keep selling out now. I'm willing to wait.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I wonder if they'll have a better supply by September, they keep selling out now. I'm willing to wait.
    Because of supply? Just order online, wait a couple of weeks.

I broke down and got my soon to be 4 yr old one for her bday in a week or so. She enjoys the usual kiddo apps.

It's mostly games & browsing on the couch for me. Other times some reading. All of which can also be done with an iphone as well..even the kiddo apps. I can only justify it by saying i won't be buying the kiddo an ipod touch or me anymore kindles.

But really this is all it is. I can't recommend this for the sis n law (for example) who has very limited needs for a computer. I'd love to...don't get me wrong..less work for me. But sadly, those limited needs include MS Word, ability to print pics & photos, harddrives to store her photos, ability to burn a cd/dvd, etc. Problem is, i know many who have enough trouble justifying paying much for one device.

Whenever i hear someone say "the ipad has replaced my macbook pro" i can't help thinking that the real joke was paying a premium for the Macbook Pro (1100+?) for what is obviously limited use if the iPad replaces it for them.
    The only thing I wanted it for was for travel or outside work. I think laptops are at risk for lots of things when away from home. Your data is too important.

Although I could probably get a netbook, but I'd still need a data card and plan. AT&T is offering a better deal for iPad data than for laptops/netbooks. If it weren't for that, this would be a pure luxury(thus technically unneeded) item for me.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    The Verizon WIFI hotspot works pretty well. I can drive around and listen to Pandora on the iPad streaming audio to the BT stereo. Of course, you can do this without the iPad as well.:-)

NetFlix streaming via my Pixi Plus WIFI is a little borderline, but cool if you are not driving to much.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

I broke down and got my soon to be 4 yr old one for her bday in a week or so.
    lol, sort of like buying the wife a new tool, electronic etc for "her" bday gift

I broke down and got my soon to be 4 yr old one for her bday in a week or so. She enjoys the usual kiddo apps.

It's mostly games & browsing on the couch for me. Other times some reading. All of which can also be done with an iphone as well..even the kiddo apps. I can only justify it by saying i won't be buying the kiddo an ipod touch or me anymore kindles.

But really this is all it is. I can't recommend this for the sis n law (for example) who has very limited needs for a computer. I'd love to...don't get me wrong..less work for me. But sadly, those limited needs include MS Word, ability to print pics & photos, harddrives to store her photos, ability to burn a cd/dvd, etc. Problem is, i know many who have enough trouble justifying paying much for one device.

Whenever i hear someone say "the ipad has replaced my macbook pro" i can't help thinking that the real joke was paying a premium for the Macbook Pro (1100+?) for what is obviously limited use if the iPad replaces it for them.
    You might be able to do similar things on the iPhone, but it is usually a far better experience on the iPad. For example, you can read an ebook, on the small iPhone screen, but the experience is so much better on the iPad.

By the way, there are plenty of apps that allow you to print out your pics. I print wirelessly to my HP printer all the time.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I'm going to say it. The iPad has replaced my Macbook Pro.

I'm saying that tongue-in-cheek because I fully understand how stupid it sounds, but in many ways it's true. My workstation is a MBP 15" that docks to a 24" monitor/kb/mouse/extHDD setup but I'd constantly be unplugging it to use around the house/travel. But ever since I got the iPad then the MBP is docked to the desk so much that I wish I got a cheaper iMac instead because 99% of the work i get done when NOT at my desk is stuff the iPad is built for. Reading, RSS, Podcasts, Email, Twitter, Games, Apps Apps and Apps.

In no way is the iPad "better" than a notebook or even a net book. It's simply a product that handles familiar concepts in a different way. Not necessarily better, not more useful, not cooler. Just different. And that's why I feel all the people stuck on the "Well I could already do that on my _________" argument are missing the point. Just because you COULD do something on your notebook doesn't mean the iPad (or the future of tablets in general) is a stupid direction.
    My iPad hasn't replace my laptop, but it has replaced my netbook and my Kindle.
    Quote Originally Posted by urban75 View Post
    I'm sorry, but the reviewer actually wished the iPad had a stylus. I stopped reading right there.

One more thing, I just don't understand this eyestrain thing with reading books on the iPad. I wonder if people that keep claiming this have actually tried to read on the iPad. I have now read four full novels on my iPad. I also own a kindle. I notice absolutely no difference in the amount of eyestrain. Maybe it's just me.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I'm sorry, but the reviewer actually wished the iPad had a stylus. I stopped reading right there.

Maybe you haven't seen the courier concept videos. Its sad Microsoft killed the project.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xacto01 View Post
    Maybe you haven't seen the courier concept videos. Its sad Microsoft killed the project.
    More vaporware
    AT&T has once again ruined the experience. Thanks to their really quick bait and switch data tactics. I can't believe within a month they renege on unlimited.

AT&T has once again ruined the experience. Thanks to their really quick bait and switch data tactics. I can't believe within a month they renege on unlimited.
    Unless you already have it. Then you get to keep it. I agree though, it's obvious that at$t were surprised by the success of the 3G model and are now looking to cash in.

Give me my iPad and iPhone on Verizon and I will be very happy (though they are changing their data pricing too)
  19.    #140  
    I canceled my iPad 3G store order two weeks ago luckily. I played with it some more and a jailbroken iPod Touch just makes more sense for now.

In regards to the new pricing, once people start using video chat on the iPhone, the youtube HD mobile formats, more HTML5, Netflix on the iPhone, iTunes Live (streaming music), and a general bump in phone speed and the new multitasking feature coming soon, people will see the larger data usage. People are saying 2Gb is fine but they won't be so content in a couple of months. I just hope Sprint doesn't follow suit.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast