Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    What's the sound like through a good pair of earphones? Thanks!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I think it'll be more refined looking. To me, the protoype was too industrial for Apple. It'll be a bit sleeker and I'm interested in that HD screen reported. The one thing I hate is the microSIM. I hope I can get one without a contract and just move my number over.
    I really like the design. The fact that the curves are gone makes it a whole lot more attractive. I'm seriously considering moving to AT&T once its released and reviewed, the Pre is light years behind a jailbroken iPhone, who knows how far behind an iPhone 4G. Regarding the new microSIM standard, couldn't you just cut up your current SIM and put that in? I keep reading that microSIMs are in no way different from regular ones. But even so, if you did need to get one, would AT&T really require a new contract just to get a new sim?
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I really have no use for an ipad. If ipads were $10 they would be great for use as ninja stars though. I wanna see a funny video of someone trying to rob a store and the owner in a moment of genius throws his ipad Frisbee style across the room knocking out (edit: or beheading) the culprit. Would make a good advertisement at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    I really like the design. The fact that the curves are gone makes it a whole lot more attractive. I'm seriously considering moving to AT&T once its released and reviewed, the Pre is light years behind a jailbroken iPhone, who knows how far behind an iPhone 4G. Regarding the new microSIM standard, couldn't you just cut up your current SIM and put that in? I keep reading that microSIMs are in no way different from regular ones. But even so, if you did need to get one, would AT&T really require a new contract just to get a new sim?

But so un-Apple like. They're really going to start using real buttons and thicker bodies? The thicker body makes for a more rugged phone and bigger battery(and maybe a front facing camera from the rumors), that's good. But the shape is so off to me, for Apple that is.

And I'm not cutting my SIM yet, then I can't use it in another phone. I read the HTC Legend may also come to AT&T. If it does, that's on the list too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5.    #105  
    But so un-Apple like. They're really going to start using real buttons and thicker bodies? The thicker body makes for a more rugged phone and bigger battery(and maybe a front facing camera from the rumors), that's good. But the shape is so off to me, for Apple that is.

And I'm not cutting my SIM yet, then I can't use it in another phone. I read the HTC Legend may also come to AT&T. If it does, that's on the list too.
    From the Gizmodo review, they say its thinner but 3 grams heavier because of the bigger battery. The shape is off, but when you start comparing the gizmodo pictures to the iPad it starts looking like something Apple could possibly release.

Check out MicroSim Adapter 3FF mini-UICC Shop, they have microsim adapters. Also check this out Mod AT&T SIM to Work in iPad 3G, the guy has an iPhone sim to work in the iPad. Regarding HTC Legend, I need to stop hating on them but I can't help it, Android reminds me of an upgrade of Windows Mobile every time I use one and I hate Windows Mobile.
    I have a better view of WM, I guess that's why I like Android, LOL. I have to say WM was the most robust work OS I ever used. Although it was the worst for media(perhaps along with BB) and Android does seem to continue that tradition. I downloaded a media app, it works fine so far. But seriously, where's the equalizer support, Android?

i used an ipad for the first time today. i'm not gonna buy one. I don't need one. and it's ridiculously expensive at bestbuy. i don't know what i saw but they said $829? I thought it was like $499. Never gonna pay that much.

But i will say this. It's an amazing piece of work. the attention to detail is top notch. it's solidly built. And with the software being made for that thing there is zero chance i'd buy a similar device from someone not apple. the etrade app looked so good. And all the mainstream apps. i don't care about O.S.s or so android or webos wouldn't wouldn't matter to me. But all those apps would totally be the decider and the smoothness of the whole package. I'm not saying android or webos wouldnt' make nice tablets it would just very much be apps that sway me.

like if they had audio software, and pdf readers so i could read ebooks i have of sheet music and stuff like beatmaker, and various audio creation software that would be compelling. And a comic book reader would be very nice. But not worth $829. I can do it for free on my laptop with "comic rack."

that said it's still a giant iphone. sorry. But the touchscreen on the ebook reader is sick. just flicking a finger changes pages. amazingly responsive. you can even do it in super slow mo and the curl of the page perfectly tracks your finger. If i was in the market for one of these, which i'm not, especially at those prices, I'd buy an ipad hands down no contest.
    $499 is the basic 16GB wifi version.

$829 is 64GB 3G plus wifi.

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Picked up the $499 WIFI unit for my wife for Mother's Day, since I have the Pixi Plus on Verizon with free WIFI hotspot. We'll have to see what the wife thinks.

For the most part I am pretty impressed. NetFlix streaming is definitely cool and watching YouTube is be huge upgrade over the iPod Touch that my wife has been using for the last year.

I have to admit that I expected more apps to be optimized for the iPad. Skype in particular is really a kludge on the big screen. Same for Yahoo Messenger.

The funny funny thing is that going back to my itsi bitsy screen on the Pixi Plus after using the iPad was a humbling experience.

All said and done I have a lot of the same anxiety with the iPad user interface as I did with the iPhone. That is why I left ATT to get a webOS phone. I sure hope that HP is fast in getting a webOS tablet to market. I would gladly purchase one if it had the same apps as today's webOS -- with screen optimization of course.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I own a 16 gig iPad and I'm very happy with it. I work in an office and I spend a good part of my day sitting at a desk staring at a computer. Now don't get me wrong I love the internet and all things gadget. I'm also into computers, but once I get home the last thing I want to do is sit in front of ANOTHER computer. However if your anything like me, and chances are that you are because your reading this forum ^_-; You crave that internet time even at home with your TV and family in waiting. Unfortunatly for me using the desktop/laptop/netbook at home always feels like a chore and socially quite isolating.

For example me and my girlfriend are watching TV and I have the netbook out. I'm not watching TV or spending time with her, it feels like I'm consumed in the same PC computing experience that I have at work 8 hours a day.

Contrast that with the iPad.....Its just different. I don't feel like I'm working. It makes surfing the internet a casual experience that I can easily disengage from when my girl asks me a question or something interesting comes on TV. Using it is no fuss, like picking up a newspaper or magazine. No need to boot it up and wait. No need to sit at a desk, or get into some hybrid typing position to enjoy it. I can pick it up and put it down on a whim. Its enjoying the internet on my terms. Its a keeper.

Ill always have a desktop or laptop of some kind I'm sure, but I strongly feel that devices like the iPad have the potential of changing how we use computers in the home.
    Last edited by WhoMe; 05/07/2010 at 11:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
    I own a 16 gig iPad and I'm very happy with it. I work in an office and I spend a good part of my day sitting at a desk staring at a computer. Now don't get me wrong I love the internet and all things gadget and computers but once I get home the last thing I want to do is sit in front of ANOTHER computer. But if your anything like me, and chances are that you are because your reading this forum ^_-; You crave that internet time even at home with your TV and family in waiting. So for me using the desktop/laptop/netbook at home always feels like a chore and socially quite isolating.

For example me and my girlfriend are watching TV and I have the netbook out. I'm not watching TV or spending time with her, it feels like I'm consumed in the same PC computing experience that I have at work 8 hours a day.

Contrast that with the iPad.....Its just different. I don't feel like I'm working. It makes surfing the internet a casual experience that I can easily disengage from when my girl asks me a question or something interesting comes on TV. Using it is no fuss, like picking up a newspaper or magazine. No need to boot it up and wait. No need to sit at a desk, or get into some hybrid typing position to enjoy it. I can pick it up and put it down on a whim. Its enjoying the internet on my terms. Its a keeper.

Ill always have a desktop or laptop of some kind I'm sure, but I strongly feel that devices like the iPad have the potential of changing how we use computers in the home.
    If you had typed this to me five weeks ago, I would have said, "bullsh!t," ...not to you, but out-loud. It sounds like Jobs' "magical" description of the iPad.

Experiencing the device, though, makes a huge difference. I have a number of issues with its implementation but it still changes the game, for me, in a way that was not apparent until I used it.

I still am not sure I fully feel where you're coming from (and I still think Jobs oversells when he calls it "magical") but I don't think you're exaggerating, at all. It may be something I will have to experience for myself, on some occasion (although one would think it would have happened in these weeks, already).
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I just re-read what I wrote and editied; ehh yeah sorry if it came across a little umm... evangelical. Ive drank the koolaid! But its really how I feel. That being said I definitely will never call it magical haha =). Well cause, thats just corny.

I agree with you and its definitely fair to say that not everyone will feel the same about it. However I'm betting a lot of people are going to find this to be a very compelling device. Another corny line, but I keep telling people this is going to do for computing what the Wii did for gaming. Love it or hate it, it'll change how consumers perceive what a computer is.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
    I just re-read what I wrote and editied; ehh yeah sorry if it came across a little umm... evangelical. Ive drank the koolaid! But its really how I feel. That being said I definitely will never call it magical haha =). Well cause, thats just corny.

I agree with you and its definitely fair to say that not everyone will feel the same about it. However I'm betting a lot of people are going to find this to be a very compelling device. Another corny line, but I keep telling people this is going to do for computing what the Wii did for gaming. Love it or hate it, it'll change how consumers perceive what a computer is.
    I cannot argue with any of that. And you didn't sound evangelical, to me, so much as a satisfied customer.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    i used an ipad for the first time today. i'm not gonna buy one. I don't need one. and it's ridiculously expensive at bestbuy. i don't know what i saw but they said $829? I thought it was like $499. Never gonna pay that much.

But i will say this. It's an amazing piece of work. the attention to detail is top notch. it's solidly built. And with the software being made for that thing there is zero chance i'd buy a similar device from someone not apple. the etrade app looked so good. And all the mainstream apps. i don't care about O.S.s or so android or webos wouldn't wouldn't matter to me. But all those apps would totally be the decider and the smoothness of the whole package. I'm not saying android or webos wouldnt' make nice tablets it would just very much be apps that sway me.

like if they had audio software, and pdf readers so i could read ebooks i have of sheet music and stuff like beatmaker, and various audio creation software that would be compelling. And a comic book reader would be very nice. But not worth $829. I can do it for free on my laptop with "comic rack."

that said it's still a giant iphone. sorry. But the touchscreen on the ebook reader is sick. just flicking a finger changes pages. amazingly responsive. you can even do it in super slow mo and the curl of the page perfectly tracks your finger. If i was in the market for one of these, which i'm not, especially at those prices, I'd buy an ipad hands down no contest.
    and just think, you can do all of that for almost $400 less than the number you included in your post.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    and just think, you can do all of that for almost $400 less than the number you included in your post.
    Sorry to pick this nit, but it is not almost $429.

Also, if one decides that, in 2010, less than 64 GB storage is insufficient, and that a 3G connection is preferred, it will cost that very same $829...plus tax.

I can see why the poster was like, "I thought this thing was $499," because that's the only price most people mention.

Err, I'm still interested in opinions on sound quality of music and video through a good pair of earphones? Any opinions from the owners? I probably won't be using the speaker too much, unless in the house. Thanks!

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    iPad: to buy or not to buy

IMO:
    The biggest positives are instant-on, info aggro, apps, and data plan.
    Reasons:
    Instant-on - Great for a pick up device to quickly read and do whatever you want for something quick and quickly done.
    Info aggro - It's an oversized smartphone...of course. So it still can do what smartphones do well. Bring in all the info you want such as emails, articles, news and more in a pleasant interface.
    Apps - ya, there will be more. A lot of junk but there's always gonna be useful ones.
    Data plan - You pay 30 when you need unlimited vs. $70 a month on contract. $70 is worth it but if you're like my family, I've been the only one who's been able to use the unlimited data. So I could be cutting costs for my family until they get their own smartphones eventually.

Alternatives if you choose not to buy:

($200-$500) Netbook - Usually comes with the good standards: io ports, green, capable of running any program you need at a slower pace but still definitely usable.
    Positives: I've read on hard forum that there was someone using it as their torrent box running 24/7 for its lower power consumption vs a full desktop.
    Great as HTPCs if you have discrete graphics. The power consumption makes it great to leave it always on and ready for you to watch hulu, use boxee, or anything on the big screen.

($600+) Ultra low voltage Notebooks (ULVs)
    Under powered vs normal notebooks but raises battery life to over 10 hours usually. Other positives are better ergonomics for longer sessions of work. If you get a dual core ulv processor, it'll work very well for multitasking. Slim but not as slim as the iPad but they are usually light.

($800+) ULV TabletPCs:
    The usual...full windows, great battery life, thin and light but with tablet functionality. Very useful with programs like Photoshop and OneNote if you know what to do.

Personally, I would recommend a ULV TabletPC since they are a good price, great for school or travel or any mobile work, but I haven't had any of my own experiences with them. I've only had a ULV and a netbook. On the other hand, the iPad could be in this spot instead if you buy the keyboard dock and have the app counterparts of full programs.

Anything anyone would like to add, share, or edit?

Err, I'm still interested in opinions on sound quality of music and video through a good pair of earphones? Any opinions from the owners? I probably won't be using the speaker too much, unless in the house. Thanks!
    Sounds good to me. On par with the iPhone. I am actually really impressed with the external speaker. At bed time my kids love listening to the Disney read along books. It is loud and clear enough that four small children can understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Sorry to pick this nit, but it is not almost $429.

Also, if one decides that, in 2010, less than 64 GB storage is insufficient, and that a 3G connection is preferred, it will cost that very same $829...plus tax.

I can see why the poster was like, "I thought this thing was $499," because that's the only price most people mention.
    I don't want or need the 3G version. I have the 32 gig WiFi. My wife has the 16 Gig WiFi. We both are very pleased.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDash View Post
    i
    Personally, I would recommend a ULV TabletPC since they are a good price, great for school or travel or any mobile work, but I haven't had any of my own experiences with them. I've only had a ULV and a netbook. On the other hand, the iPad could be in this spot instead if you buy the keyboard dock and have the app counterparts of full programs.

Anything anyone would like to add, share, or edit?
    I would never recommend a full desktop OS for a tablet. I have used one in the past running Windows XP and it was not a good experience. Trying to run Windows apps not written for a touch interface was less than fun. HP realized this, that is why they canceled their Slate device.